Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2020 Comprehensive Draft Thread

zCommander

On 12/3/2019 at 1:43 PM, Panninho said:

What do you think about KJ Hill? I do not follow college football as closely as most of the guys here but I thought prior to this year that he was regarded as a nice slot guy but decided to return for his senior year. Haven't heard a lot of him. Could he be available in the later rounds? What do you think of him?

At least he should have some chemistry with Haskins.

I think day two is possible for him, but day three is more likely.  I like him a lot, but I think the ceiling with him is somewhat limited.  And I like his 2018 film better than what he's shown this year.  It's clear that he and Dwayne Haskins had good chemistry and Dwayne used him as a safety net whereas Justin Fields doesn't find him as well and doesn't like throwing in the middle of the field as much.

The negatives are pretty straight forward.  He's a quicker than fast type who is not a threat outside the numbers and who won't get downfield separation against NFL caliber corner man coverage.  Ordinary size for the position.  More of an instinctive than precision route runner and you'll find false steps and rounding.  The effort as a blocker could be more consistent.  And the screen and punt return game that made up a decent part of his opportunities in his Ohio State career probably won't translate to the NFL.  He's just not dynamic or explosive enough to waste reps on those types of plays.

There is a lot to like about him though.  First and foremost are the hands and ability to adjust to throws on the run.  These are spectacular traits that have let him make a lot of circus catches.  He has good body control and he has a lot of hand and upper body strength for his size.  Good physical style of play in the contact windows and after the catch.  There's a little wiggle and creativity there as he does have experience returning punts.  Some real subtlety and skill in his routes.  That nice body control lets him set up bad DB leverage and disguise his intention to the break.  And he's a zone beater.  He has a really good feel for adjusting to find seams and he's pretty good at creating open throwing lanes for off schedule plays.  I'd say he does a pretty good job for a WR as a blocker.  It's a big part of the slot role and I think there is more good than bad on his film in this department.  He gets to where he needs to be with good urgency and that good hand strength helps him get the turn to create those big outside creases that Dobbins darted through.

I like his game and I think he'd be a strong option for the slot for us.  I would be fine taking him fourth round onward.

5 hours ago, Thinking Skins said:

Honestly I think I'm too into the moment to be understanding of the Lamb or Jeudy > Harmon just yet. I'm impressed by what I'm seeing from Harmon but I can also see holes in his game that could have caused him to drop. Same with Sims. Honestly, same with McLaurin. I think I'm trying not to be too dismissive of our current roster and say we need help everywhere, but I have to admit that there is really no position where we're set. Maybe DL, but that raises the question of the option with Allen. 

But the area where I feel like we need the most improvement is OL - LT, LG, C is good, maybe RG, and RT. I doubt we do it all in one offseason but that depends on how aggressive we are. I could see nobody added, or all 5 positions addressed. But those aren't playmaking positions. I could honestly say the same about a shutdown corner. I'd love to have one of those and it was at the top of my list when we were playing Norman. I do like Moreau but I don't want to pass on a good CB in the first (assuming we don't get Young) for him. That said, CBs who shut their WRs down don't get their name called often and thus don't make the plays. 

As you know on the Harmon thread, I am a big cheerleader of the dude.  I like him.  I am not sure though he's special.   I think though he will be a good #2.  Jeudy and Lamb to me could be Beckham level good, special.  

If I am looking at the draft purely from a need stand point with a mix of the strengths of this draft.  I'd trade down (unless Young is there) and take the best LT available.  then in the 2nd, this draft to me is too rich at WR to blow that position off.  Heck with Guice getting banged up again, I might even consider RB.   IMO both positions are really special from this draft's stand point.  

I've been thinking about it, and I think there is pretty much zero chance we draft Simmons.  He doesn't fit our MO.  Too unconventional for us.  We seen to weight need a little heavily in the first.  And we seem to love Holcomb, Dion-Hamilton, and Landon Collins.  And I bet we are expecting Reuben Foster to play Will for us next season.

I don't think we'll be able to trade down either.  We're going to get another win or perhaps two.  There won't be satisfying demand for our pick.

Thus I am pretty confident that the pick will be Andrew Thomas if he's there.  That would fit our MO.

18 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

I've been thinking about it, and I think there is pretty much zero chance we draft Simmons.  He doesn't fit our MO.  Too unconventional for us.  We seen to weight need a little heavily in the first.  And we seem to love Holcomb, Dion-Hamilton, and Landon Collins.  And I bet we are expecting Reuben Foster to play Will for us next season.

I don't think we'll be able to trade down either.  We're going to get another win or perhaps two.  There won't be satisfying demand for our pick.

Thus I am pretty confident that the pick will be Andrew Thomas if he's there.  That would fit our MO.

If we lose out we could end up with the 2nd pick (but even that is not guaranteed as the Giants will hold the tiebreaker over us so if there only remaining win is against us they would get the higher pick.)  If I had to pick the most realistic scenario its that we end up 4-12 with say the 5th or 6th pick.  I likewise don't think there will be enough demand for the pick to get a lot for it.   Your best case scenario is only one pick ahead of us is a QB and a team decides they want a QB and trades for it at at the last second.

i think the most likely scenario is we pick the best Offensive Tackle available.

2 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

As you know on the Harmon thread, I am a big cheerleader of the dude.  I like him.  I am not sure though he's special.   I think though he will be a good #2.  Jeudy and Lamb to me could be Beckham level good, special.  

If I am looking at the draft purely from a need stand point with a mix of the strengths of this draft.  I'd trade down (unless Young is there) and take the best LT available.  then in the 2nd, this draft to me is too rich at WR to blow that position off.  Heck with Guice getting banged up again, I might even consider RB.   IMO both positions are really special from this draft's stand point.  

Assuming we end up with a second round pick through a trade, I would be fine with a receiver given the depth at that position in the draft.  That said I would also be find with any of these three other picks at that spot:

1.  Drafting Ryan Kerrigan's eventually replacement

2.  Drafting the best interior O-Lineman available assuming that we let one of Flowers and Scherff go)

3.  Drafting the best cornerback available.

4 hours ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

Trading draft picks for coaches is probably the worst way to use them.

There are a lot of talented coaches out there.  Find one who actually wants to be here, and who you don't have to hollow out the roster by spending a precious team building resource to get.

There are talented coaches but do have faith in this owner finding them?  Why not bring in a proven coach in his prime.  What player in this draft would help the team more than Tomlin?  A coach would impact the team would be more of a resource as a whole for years than any player the Skins would get in this draft.  New England has proven this year after year without having top 5 picks.  

8 minutes ago, philibusters said:

f I had to pick the most realistic scenario its that we end up 4-12 with say the 5th or 6th pick.  I likewise don't think there will be enough demand for the pick to get a lot for it.   Your best case scenario is only one pick ahead of us is a QB and a team decides they want a QB and trades for it at at the last second.

I think you're right.  I'm going to pose some trade down return scenarios: 

Let's say this is the draft order of the top ten:

1 - Joe Burrow

2 - Chase Young

3 - Andrew Thomas

4 - Tua Tagavailoa

5 - Jeff Okudah

6 - Jerry Jeudy

7 - CeeDee Lamb

8 - Isaiah Simmons

9 - Derrick Brown

10 - Creed Humphrey

1 - Would you all pull the trigger on a trade down from somewhere in the 4-6 range to the 11-13 range if the return was just a second rounder in the same position in the second, and we were guaranteed to miss out on all of those names I mentioned?

2 - Would you all pull the trigger on a trade down from 4-6 to like 8 or so if the return was us swapping our third rounder for their second rounder?

5 hours ago, arftech said:

I'm not trading a possible high pick for a damn coach!  That's just ridiculous!

Hail Em Up!

Why is that ridiculous? You don't agree a coach would have more of impact than any of the first round prospects?  What's the point of using that high pick for the team to be mediocre year after year?  This isn't the NBA so the Skins aren't going to get a Lebron or Shaq type of impact from this draft.  

And if your response is the Steelers won't let Tomlin go or he won't come here reports so they isn't the case.  Their longtime GM is also leaving after this year

2 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

I think you're right.  I'm going to pose some trade down return scenarios: 

Let's say this is the draft order of the top ten:

1 - Joe Burrow

2 - Chase Young

3 - Andrew Thomas

4 - Tua Tagavailoa

5 - Jeff Okudah

6 - Jerry Jeudy

7 - CeeDee Lamb

8 - Isaiah Simmons

9 - Derrick Brown

10 - Creed Humphrey

1 - Would you all pull the trigger on a trade down from somewhere in the 4-6 range to the 11-13 range if the return was just a second rounder in the same position in the second, and we were guaranteed to miss out on all of those names I mentioned?

2 - Would you all pull the trigger on a trade down from 4-6 to like 8 or so if the return was us swapping our third rounder for their second rounder?

no. 2. 

Drop to 8 and take Simmons, Delpit, Lamb or even Austin Jackson if you think he's worth that pick.  

9 minutes ago, CowboyKillerz said:

Laviska Shinualt wr from Colorado.   Kid along side Terry would ve a nightmare for dbs... He might resemble Terry to closely with his physical attributes but he is a star in the making. He is Definetly bigger... And meaner. Would be a GREAT duo

Mixed feelings on Laviska.  I absolutely love the physicality with which he plays the position.  Love how he gets after it as a blocker.  Love how he battles after the catch.  But I think the route running is a serious issue.  That's the major difference between him and McLaurin, who is a strong route runner.  He tips almost all of his breaks and gathers himself on them instead of making them clean and firing out of them, and he runs messy angles.  It's clear he just doesn't have a good feel for this part of the position.  And his release really needs work as he just tries to run through the press.  The catch radius and leaping ability are also disappointing for someone who is such a good athlete with the ball in his hands.  He's passive at the catch point on 50-50 balls and isn't the most natural at adjusting to it in the air--I think there might be some hip tightness.  And he's a short strider like a running back who just isn't going to separate vertically against outside man coverage.

He's just not a very difficult cover outside the middle of the field.  And I don't think that will change at the next level.  He's a big slot bully like AJ Brown, better after the catch, but worse as a route runner.

I think he was drastically overrated coming into the season, and that he'll probably end up getting picked somewhere on Day 2.  I don't think we'll draft him because we seem to place premium value on route running as a WR trait.

This is my tentative WR ranking of the top guys in the class:

Tier 1 - Top Ten:

1 - CeeDee Lamb

2 - Jerry Jeudy

Tier 2  - Teens and early 20s:

3 - Tee Higgins

4 - Henry Ruggs

Tier 3 - 20-40

5 - Tylan Wallace

6 - Isaiah Hodgins

7 - DeVonta Smith

Tier 4 - Day Two Priority

8 - Justin Jefferson

9 - Tyler Vaughns

Tier 5 - Day Two

10 - Laviska Shenault

11 - Jalen Raegor

12 - Michael Pittman

13 - Tyler Johnson

Tier 6 - Day Three

14 - Collin Johnson

15 - Brandon Aiyuk

16 - KJ Hill

17 - Devin Duvernay

18 - Donovan Peoples Jones

19 - Denzel Mims

Good list.  I haven't watched all of the receivers you mentioned yet.  So its impressively deep.

Based on that list, I am much higher on Reagor than you are.  I go back and forth on Higgins but i've liked him a lot of late.   I probably go with your top 4 just like it is.    I'd probably have Smith though at #5.  I like Wallace.  I haven't watched Hodgins much.

I admit I have a soft spot for the Alabama receivers via watching so many of their games.  If 2 of the 3 eligible receivers: Jeudy, Ruggs, Smith play in the Citrus Bowl.  I will likely go watch that one live. 

14 minutes ago, Alcoholic Zebra said:

That's uh, not at all what I expected.  Well, if true, there goes a lot of talent from this draft.  Every one of those guys could've been taken in the first 2 rounds, and it's likely at least 4 of them would've gone in the 1st.

It makes sense for Moses to go back.  Possibly Smith and Lewis too.  But Ruggs, Leatherwood, and Tua are all looking at the first round.  We'll see what happens, but I am skeptical that those three would go back to school.  Ruggs and Tua need to get out while the gettings good.  Tua can not afford to take another major injury before he gets his NFL contract.

2 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Good list.  I haven't watched all of the receivers you mentioned yet.  So its impressively deep.

Based on that list, I am much higher on Reagor than you are.  I go back and forth on Higgins but i've liked him a lot of late.   I probably go with your top 4 just like it is.    I'd probably have Smith though at #5.  I like Wallace.  I haven't watched Hodgins much.

I admit I have a soft spot for the Alabama receivers via watching so many of their games.  If 2 of the 3 eligible receivers: Jeudy, Ruggs, Smith play in the Citrus Bowl.  I will likely go watch that one live. 

Raegor is a truly dynamic athlete with a higher ceiling than five through ten on my list, and he could certainly end up being better than them.  But I don't like his style.  He's super lazy when he's not the design of the play and gives embarrassing effort as a blocker.  There is too much softness there, including frustrating passivity at the catch point.  I like aggressive pluckers like Jefferson and Wallace who will also get after it in the run game.  I also don't like how limited Raegor's film is.  Everything I've seen of him is running a couple of concepts from the same position outside of the right hash.

I want to like him because of how spectacular the speed, leaping ability, and agility are, but he's a frustrating diva wide receiver that doesn't bring enough to the table to help you win on all the snaps where he's not the target.  I think he's a bad culture fit and I'd probably stay away from him unless he's head and shoulders BPA.

Hodgins looks pretty special to me.  He's taller than he seems and the catch radius is pretty good.  He's slender, but he's reliable and has pretty spectacular hands.  He handled a pretty massive workload this season so I believe he's sturdier than he looks.  And his change of direction skills and quickness are elite for his height.  He's a fascinating player, but he's not as blue collar and tough as Wallace, not as big and imposing as Higgins, and certainly not as fast as Ruggs.

- Trade Trent for a second rounder

- 4th round comp pick

- 6th round comp pick

Using TDN's current prospect rankings: https://thedraftnetwork.com/prospect-rankings

Rd 1 - Andrew Thomas

Rd 2 (Trent trade) - Jaylon Johnson

Rd 3 - Tylan Wallace

Rd 4 - Najee Harris (yeah right)

Rd 4 - Shane Lemieux

Rd 5 - Jacob Breeland

Rd 6 - Damien Lewis

Rd 6 - TJ Brunson

3 hours ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

Raegor is a truly dynamic athlete with a higher ceiling than five through ten on my list, and he could certainly end up being better than them.  But I don't like his style.  He's super lazy when he's not the design of the play and gives embarrassing effort as a blocker.  There is too much softness there, including frustrating passivity at the catch point.  I like aggressive pluckers like Jefferson and Wallace who will also get after it in the run game.  I also don't like how limited Raegor's film is.  Everything I've seen of him is running a couple of concepts from the same position outside of the right hash.

I want to like him because of how spectacular the speed, leaping ability, and agility are, but he's a frustrating diva wide receiver that doesn't bring enough to the table to help you win on all the snaps where he's not the target.  I think he's a bad culture fit and I'd probably stay away from him unless he's head and shoulders BPA.

Hodgins looks pretty special to me.  He's taller than he seems and the catch radius is pretty good.  He's slender, but he's reliable and has pretty spectacular hands.  He handled a pretty massive workload this season so I believe he's sturdier than he looks.  And his change of direction skills and quickness are elite for his height.  He's a fascinating player, but he's not as blue collar and tough as Wallace, not as big and imposing as Higgins, and certainly not as fast as Ruggs.

I haven't studied Reagor yet but have been impressed when I've watched him.  He's explosive -- deep threat, YAC guy.  As far as his hands, it seems to come and go but when he's hot he's made some great acrobatic catches.  Plays a lot of Z. 

I haven't watched his blocking, etc.  So just watched a game of just him.  Yeah he doesn't sell the play unless he's getting the ball.  In the NFL that can bite him because talk about telegraphing things to the CB.   He seemed mediocre as a blocker in that game but didn't seem to have to block much.

As for Reagor as a guy, I dived in some.   Seems like he comes from a good background,

https://www.dallasnews.com/sports/tcu-horned-frogs/2019/08/05/made-for-greatness-how-jalen-reagor-s-upbringing-propelled-him-to-stardom-at-tcu/

Growing up fast 

As the son of a former Texas Tech All-American defensive lineman and second-rounder in the 1999 NFL draft, some will say Jalen was born for greatness. In the Reagor household, it’s always been about a blue-collar work ethic.

“I was just trying to lead the way,” Montae said. “I wanted to show (Jalen) as a young man how to get things  done, how to always work, how to do less complaining.”

Said Jalen: “I was brought up not to make excuses. You have to do something with what you have.”

As Jalen applied the lessons from his father throughout his childhood, it became clear to Montae that something special was in the works with his son. By the end of fifth-grade, the combo of speed, physicality and off-field discipline Jalen began to showcase -- even his eating habits -- couldn’t be ignored.

“His focus, mindset and coordination -- all of it totally switched gears,” Montae said. “It was amazing to see. I knew going from his fifth to sixth-grade year it was like, ‘man, this little boy here is about to be something special.’”

Sure, Jalen was only on the brink of middle school. But Montae’s eyes told him a different story.

“He was acting as if he was a high schooler at such a young age,” Montae recalled. “He wanted to get up, work out, he wanted to watch what he put in his body.”

As the level of speed and strength only increased, it became clear that Jalen wasn’t going to follow in his father’s footsteps as a future NFL defensive linemen. But this was clear: Whatever sport Jalen chose, success was on the horizon.

With his upbringing, football was the clear sport of choice. Only, Jalen’s gift of speed had the words “track star” simultaneously written all over him.

Both were ultimately in the cards throughout his four years at Waxahachie High School, as Jalen went the extra mile -- literally and figuratively -- to perfect his craft over on the gridiron as a receiver.

“I can run all day,” Jalen said. “Track makes you a better athlete. There’s a difference between track speed and football speed. But when you mix the two, you know what it’s like.”

Said Montae: “He realized that track helped him with his explosion and his overall stamina to help him at a position which he’s always wanted to play at. And now he’s one of the best receivers in the game.”

Roughly two decades after Montae captured a state title on the Waxahachie football team in 1992, the accolades quickly piled up for Jalen at his father’s old stomping grounds.

Coached for two seasons by ex-Dallas Cowboys quarterback Jon Kitna, Jalen skyrocketed to becoming nationally ranked as the No. 6 receiver in the 2017 recruiting class -- bolstered by a 967-yard, 14-touchdown senior season. That same school year, he also captured the long-jump gold medal at the UIL state track and field championships.

2 hours ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

-

Rd 4 - Najee Harris (yeah right)

Maybe the third?  There are so many good backs in this draft, I gather some are bound to drop.  Wonder who goes first Harris or Dobbins?

I am guessing Etienne, Swift and Taylor are all gone by the early 2nd?  Hubbard, too. 

Bowden will be an interesting draft discussion

Marrow noted he told scouts two years ago that former Louisville quarterback Lamar Jackson should have been the No. 1 pick after watching the now Baltimore Ravens MVP candidate carve through Kentucky’s defense for three years. Instead, teams “overthought” things and focused on Jackson’s perceived shortcomings, allowing him to slide to the No. 32 pick in the 2018 draft.

While even Marrow acknowledges Bowden is not an NFL quarterback, expect similar nitpicking over his potential as a wide receiver in the coming months.

“I think if it was up to NFL teams he would have stayed at receiver because it would have helped them do their job and better understand where he is in his development as a route-runner, as a pass-catcher and all of those things,” said Dane Brugler, an NFL draft analyst for The Athletic. “Because he played most of the season as a non-receiver it just takes more of a leap of faith, because we’re not going to get a chance to see him in game-like situations playing the position that he’s projected to play in the NFL.”

ght games of the season – “They did what was best for their program,” he said – but even though Bowden campaigned to be put behind center himself, the move does complicate his draft stock.

ESPN NFL draft analyst Mel Kiper Jr. mentioned Bowden as a “dark horse” candidate to be picked in the first round of April’s draft before what was supposed to be a breakout season for the junior as a receiver after the departure of running back Benny Snell, the focal point of Kentucky’s offense the last three years. Instead, Bowden showed little of the progress as a pass catcher that most had projected this fall.

Through four games, Bowden was easily Kentucky’s most productive receiver, totaling 27 receptions for 330 yards and one touchdown, but he was plagued by inconsistency with several high-profile drops and other miscues.

10 hours ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

Mixed feelings on Laviska.  I absolutely love the physicality with which he plays the position.  Love how he gets after it as a blocker.  Love how he battles after the catch.  But I think the route running is a serious issue.  That's the major difference between him and McLaurin, who is a strong route runner.  He tips almost all of his breaks and gathers himself on them instead of making them clean and firing out of them, and he runs messy angles.  It's clear he just doesn't have a good feel for this part of the position.  And his release really needs work as he just tries to run through the press.  The catch radius and leaping ability are also disappointing for someone who is such a good athlete with the ball in his hands.  He's passive at the catch point on 50-50 balls and isn't the most natural at adjusting to it in the air--I think there might be some hip tightness.  And he's a short strider like a running back who just isn't going to separate vertically against outside man coverage.

He's just not a very difficult cover outside the middle of the field.  And I don't think that will change at the next level.  He's a big slot bully like AJ Brown, better after the catch, but worse as a route runner.

I think he was drastically overrated coming into the season, and that he'll probably end up getting picked somewhere on Day 2.  I don't think we'll draft him because we seem to place premium value on route running as a WR trait.

Interesting take... I dont think his routes are anywhere near as crisp as Terry.. But never heard anyone as down on that part of his game as you. Here in CO he is royalty, so i get he is over hyped locally. Ive watched and read some draft profiles and all point to good route running soft hands... Not the speed demon Djax is but has burst and breakaway speed. Kid is a threat at wr, qb (wild cat), rb, or kick returner to score at any moment. Opposite Terry or in the slot would be an upgrade over Quinn no doubt, Harmon, and does PRich still play football?

Ive marvelled over his games (in person) and haven't seen the guy you described. Any particular game? If you had said injury red flag... That i can agree with. He has been banged up all year and had surgery for labrum and toe I think... But when he plays he plays HARD AF. 

Kinda reminds me of Cordell Patterson but with better hands at wide out... And surely not as fast. But similar balance after contsct and extreme shiftyness.

Idk prolly just a local guy Im over hyping. Id be surprised to see him in the 2nd round much less the 3rd. 

Doubtful he will be a redskin tho, so that we can agree on

Hypothetically, say the draft order ends up being:

1). Cinci-

2). Skins-

3). NYG

4). Miami

5). Detroit

6). Cards

7). Jags

8). Atl

The Falcons need to win now and are always in search for stars.  Would you trade down from 2 to 8 in exchange for the Falcons. 2nd, 4th, and a 2021 1st rounder?

The draft then goes:

1). Cinci-Burrow

2). ATL (From skins)-Young

3). NYG-Jeudy

4). Miami-Tua

5). Lions-Okudah

6). Az-Thomas

7). Jags-Delpit

8). Skins-Simmons

Archived