zskins

2020 Comprehensive Draft Thread

Recommended Posts

8 hours ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

 

I haven't watched Jordan Love, but is Tony Pauline any good?  I don't know his background, but his takes in that article are pretty terrible.  Chase Young didn't face a good offensive tackle when he made Trey Adams look like a future accountant?  He's beating the crap out of everyone.  This is not a match up dependent player.

Also Pauline is confusing being a good pass rushing technician with being a good football player in Nick Bosa's case.  They're distinctly different things.  Bosa is a great athlete and great technician with mediocre football instincts and awareness.

 

Josh Allen is the example of a mediocre technician who is a great football player.

 

Pauline is on and off.  He likes to take some off the wall positions at times and sell himself as going against the grain.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Draft Network's latest mock

 

https://thedraftnetwork.com/articles/tuls--2020-mock-draft-1.0

 

 


1.

Miami_Dolphins_logo.svg.png
Dolphins

Chase Young

EDGE, Ohio State

Every mock draft you're going to see over the next six months will have the Miami Dolphins taking a quarterback with the first overall pick, so I wanted to switch it up. Chase Young is the clear-cut best player in this draft class and will be an instant double-digit sack threat.

2.

Cincinnati_Bengals_logo.svg.png
Bengals

Tua Tagovailoa

QB, Alabama

The Cincinnati Bengals are in prime position to draft Andy Dalton's successor, as this front office aims to give head coach Zac Taylor a chance to get his guy. In this scenario, Tagovailoa is that guy. He has all the tools to be a franchise quarterback, and I believe he could turn this team around fast.

3.

Washington_Redskins_logo.svg.png
Redskins

Andrew Thomas

OT, Georgia

The Redskins invested first-round capital last year in what they believe to be their franchise quarterback -- Dwayne Haskins. Now, it's time to protect that investment with the best offensive tackle on the board. With Trent Williams certainly on the way out, Washington will need to find its next blindside protector, and Thomas will be just that for a decade.

4.

Denver_Broncos_logo.svg.png
Broncos

Jeffrey Okudah

CB, Ohio State

Chris Harris Jr. has been a mainstay for the Broncos defense for about a decade, but he's not getting any younger. Denver needs to start adding young pieces to this defense, and Jeffrey Okudah makes too much sense in this spot. He is the top cornerback in this class and a mix of former Ohio State cornerbacks Denzel Ward and Marshon Lattimore.

5.

New_York_Jets_logo.svg.png
Jets

Jerry Jeudy

WR, Alabama

If the Jets believe Sam Darnold is the answer, then they need to start adding weapons around him. The current wide receiver core primarily consists of Robby Anderson, Jamison Crowder, and Chris Herndon. It's uninspiring. Enter Jerry Jeudy, who plays with the same explosiveness and nuance as former Alabama wide receiver Amari Cooper.

6.

Arizona_Cardinals_logo.svg.png
Cardinals

Tristan Wirfs

OT, Iowa

Kyler Murray has been sacked a million times this season (20 -- but still the most in the NFL) and it's clearly visible that the Cardinals' lack of talent at the line of scrimmage is what's holding them back. Bring in a freak like Tristan Wirfs and it could make a huge difference for contention in 2020. He can play both left and right tackle, and I wouldn't be surprised if some teams have him ranked higher than Thomas because of his upside.

7.

Miami_Dolphins_logo.svg.png
Dolphins

Justin Herbert

QB, Oregon

In reality, the Dolphins would probably take a quarterback with the first overall pick, but this mock draft presents a best-case for the team. Get the best overall player and then the franchise quarterback. I know that some teams will prefer Herbert to Tagovailoa, and I wouldn't be surprised if that's the case with Miami, come April.

8.

Atlanta_Falcons_logo.svg.png
Falcons

Derrick Brown

IDL, Auburn

Derrick Brown would be a perfect fit alongside Grady Jarrett as the nose tackle for this defense. Together, they would be a deadly duo as interior pass rushers, giving this Falcons defensive line a much-needed boost of explosiveness at the line of scrimmage.

9.

Jacksonville_Jaguars_logo.svg.png
Jaguars

Isaiah Simmons

LB, Clemson

The Jacksonville Jaguars have missed Telvin Smith's presence in the middle, specifically his speed at the linebacker position. Insert Isaiah Simmons, who may be the most naturally gifted player in this class, regardless of position. He's made incredible strides as an overall linebacker prospect this season, and if Jacksonville wants to re-establish its brand of fast and physical defense, Simmons would be a perfect fit.

10.

Indianapolis_Colts_logo.svg.png
Colts

Grant Delpit

S, LSU

COULD YOU IMAGINE. Malik Hooker and Grant Delpit together? This is a match made in Football Heaven, and if the Colts were to draft this high up on the board, I think it's a legitimate possibility. General Manager Chris Ballard has a history of drafting the best available players, and Delpit is not just that in this scenario -- he also fits one of the team's biggest needs.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I echo the love for Chase Young but Tua is the best player in the class.  It is so much harder to play QB than DE.  Somehow people still underestimate what it takes to play QB.  Tua plays his position at an impeccable level.  He's the best football player in the class and it's going to take an injury for him to get knocked out of the number one spot.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

I echo the love for Chase Young but Tua is the best player in the class.  It is so much harder to play QB than DE.  Somehow people still underestimate what it takes to play QB.  Tua plays his position at an impeccable level.  He's the best football player in the class and it's going to take an injury for him to get knocked out of the number one spot.

 

Agreed. It’s not close. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So, where is our starting TE coming from next year?  And how are we going to find a starting corner, LT, and (hopefully) RT?  

 

I really hope Allen gets over himself and offloads Trent before the deadline...

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, skinny21 said:

So, where is our starting TE coming from next year?  And how are we going to find a starting corner, LT, and (hopefully) RT?  

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, volsmet said:

 

 

 

 

 

 

I’m from Washington and a huge Husky homer. Went and stayed for the Cal game getting home at 4 am. I love Hunter but he is injury prone. Absolute freak of nature and a good blocker.   The real TE is going to be next year with Cade Otten. 

 

I saw the top 10 with Trey Adams and I don’t think he is all the way back, but will be soon. That guy is a Hog and nasty as well. Took a personal foul against a USC kid last week to get him to shut up. Jarred Hilbers the RT played  LT last year and is a sleeper IMO. 

 

Jacob Eason is getting back to what he can be also. Defense is young but some of the DBs will be top picks In 2-3 years. McDuffie, Turner, Molden, Williams, and Gordon. 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Rypienskinz said:

I’m from Washington and a huge Husky homer. Went and stayed for the Cal game getting home at 4 am. I love Hunter but he is injury prone. Absolute freak of nature and a good blocker.   The real TE is going to be next year with Cade Otten. 

 

I saw the top 10 with Trey Adams and I don’t think he is all the way back, but will be soon. That guy is a Hog and nasty as well. Took a personal foul against a USC kid last week to get him to shut up. Jarred Hilbers the RT played  LT last year and is a sleeper IMO. 

 

Jacob Eason is getting back to what he can be also. Defense is young but some of the DBs will be top picks In 2-3 years. McDuffie, Turner, Molden, Williams, and Gordon. 

 

I love me some Hunter Bryant. I’ll take Cam Williams, my adorable Vols tried to sneak in there and get him.

 

 

On 7/27/2019 at 3:05 AM, volsmet said:

 

 

 

 

And a great TE prospect that gets little mention, Hunter Bryant:

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I kind of like Colby Parkinson.  He's an honest competitor.

 

Jacob Breeland from Oregon has gotten some hype this year too.  He's interesting but I'm not necessarily sold on him.

 

I've been watching some Oregon OL cut ups and just wanted to say Holy ****, I really like #58 Sewell.  That kid is awesome.  Phenomenal power.  I don't think he's draft eligible, but he's the best player on that line.  And I really like Lemieux too.  Sewell is a next level talent.  I could see the top end of next year's OT class being really, really good.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

I kind of like Colby Parkinson.  He's an honest competitor.

 

Jacob Breeland from Oregon has gotten some hype this year too.  He's interesting but I'm not necessarily sold on him.

 

I've been watching some Oregon OL cut ups and just wanted to say Holy ****, I really like #58 Sewell.  That kid is awesome.  Phenomenal power.  I don't think he's draft eligible, but he's the best player on that line.  And I really like Lemieux too.  Sewell is a next level talent.  I could see the top end of next year's OT class being really, really good.

 

Sewell is one of the best 3 players in the country & his little brother is an absolute freak... a 260lb lb who looks like a chubby mess ...he’s a freak, unbelievable player.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, volsmet said:

 

Sewell is one of the best 3 players in the country & his little brother is an absolute freak... a 260lb lb who looks like a chubby mess ...he’s a freak, unbelievable player. 

 

They're the warrior elite.

 

Sewell gave Nick Coe the business when they were matched up.  That is no small feat.  He's short for a tackle but plays the game like something out of a cartoon.  You're right that he looks totally sloppy, but he's fast.  Just a freakish amount of violence and pop in those hands.  Great speed.  Watching him obliterate second level defenders is comical.  It looks like the easiest thing in the world for him.

 

He's like the Offensive Line version of Ed Oliver or Aaron Donald.  You can't judge him off of what he looks like.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Marcus Marriota Was a top 1 player at Oregon. They get paid so well at Oregon they get soft when they hit the pros they disappoint. It’s a culture thing. They are spoiled and treated above all while there.  I’m biased but not many oregon kids live up to their potential. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

 

They're the warrior elite.

 

Sewell gave Nick Coe the business when they were matched up.  That is no small feat.  He's short for a tackle but plays the game like something out of a cartoon.  You're right that he looks totally sloppy, but he's fast.  Just a freakish amount of violence and pop in those hands.  Great speed.  Watching him obliterate second level defenders is comical.  It looks like the easiest thing in the world for him.

 

He's like the Offensive Line version of Ed Oliver or Aaron Donald.  You can't judge him off of what he looks like.

 

I’m talking about his little brother, he flies sideline to sideline as a 260lb inside linebacker ... he looks like he should be a senior playing for the jv squad, then you let him loose and he looks like a high schooler who should be in the nfl. He just dominated the biggest camps this summer, he’s going to entertain you for 3 years viewing late night pac 12. I’m not sure I’ve ever seen a prospect quite like him.

 

Penei Sewell, your boy #58, is the best lineman in the country imo, he’s the (*non Trevor Lawrence) guy I want most in next years draft.

 

Walterfootball is not high on him, apparently we may be able to get him in round 7 next year:

*

1783120F-F639-4EBA-802D-D938AF404A92.thumb.jpeg.f513aa49ad0c4e8cb728c8df252e9da4.jpeg

10 minutes ago, Rypienskinz said:

Marcus Marriota Was a top 1 player at Oregon. They get paid so well at Oregon they get soft when they hit the pros they disappoint. It’s a culture thing. They are spoiled and treated above all while there.  I’m biased but not many oregon kids live up to their potential. 

 

The Sewell brothers are crazy (in the best way), I don’t think a soft program could disrupt who they’re ultimately going to become; but Oregon certainly isn’t matching their flash on the field with much to show in the nfl.

 

Edited by volsmet
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm watching Noah Sewell HS highlights and they are amazing.  This is the first I've heard of him, I don't follow the recruiting scene.  He's some kind of linebacker/option quarterback?

 

How did these Sewell kids get so damn strong?  Their mom was feeding them gamma rays or something.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

I'm watching Noah Sewell HS highlights and they are amazing.  This is the first I've heard of him, I don't follow the recruiting scene.  He's some kind of linebacker/option quarterback?

 

How did these Sewell kids get so damn strong?  Their mom was feeding them gamma rays or something.

 

It’s crazy. Noah doesn’t remind me much of myself from HS.

 

🤔 

Look at this kid, he doesn’t exactly fit the freak prototype:

 

B57E5665-C26E-44D0-9762-4A0D9E98A2D3.jpeg.90705e2811676dc6be85ec8af9188e59.jpeg

 

*

But he’s routinely the best player on a field of nothing but elite athletes. I can’t wait to see him in college.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

They're cartoon characters.  With all of the attendant physical capacities.  I'm really looking forward to watching him play in college now too.

 

And like you I'm 100% sold on his older brother.  I absolutely want him on the Redskins.  As far as I'm concerned, the only downside with him is that the autocorrect feature on my phone keeps trying to change his first name to Penis.  Gonna make it hard to post about him from mobile.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I hope Haskins is the real deal because trading pick to a QB hungry team could be a big win for us. We need more talent. Not sure what the prime spot is this year. Outside the QBs. I don't think this draft is very top heavy. So mid 1 round pick is s good spot for value.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

 

And like you I'm 100% sold on his older brother.  I absolutely want him on the Redskins.  As far as I'm concerned, the only downside with him is that the autocorrect feature on my phone keeps trying to change his first name to Penis.  Gonna make it hard to post about him from mobile.

 

 

source.gif

 

 

Telling your lady that you’re watching Penis see well double team a nose could be tough to explain.  

 

 

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

ES draft familia, what do you look for in WRs, I get late round WRs correct about as often as I get criticized for dunking a basketball too emphatically.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Strength, speed, size, toughness, body control, aggressiveness.  TBH personality plays a pretty big part in success and failure at the position, and so does fit.  Some guys just aren't going to work out for certain coaches no matter how talented they are because of their personality and playing style.  Some coaches want assignment ball guys while others are looser and value playmakers.

 

Aggressiveness/alpha mentality is a predictor of NFL success IMO.  It's a window into the guy's competitive DNA.  AJ Brown is a good example from the last class.  Super alpha type player.  Really showing out in the NFL at an early stage in his career.  The psychology of a top notch NFL receiver is just so abnormal.  They're kind of like the linebackers of the offensive side in that the best ones have a screw loose.

 

Here's an off the wall rubric--biomechanics.  I'm trying to figure out how to work it into evaluations of players.  Some guys have really terrible biomechanics and its a big part of why they stay hurt.  Others are like Edelman and somehow manage to play tons of games despite being tiny and having to chase targets over the middle a hundred + times a season.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Oh here's another good one: concentration/motor.  The guy who stays locked in and does his job the best he can even when he knows he's playing decoy or block or is a late option is a stud and he's going to get more opportunities over time.  Terry McLaurin taught me that lesson.

Edited by stevemcqueen1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, volsmet said:

ES draft familia, what do you look for in WRs, I get late round WRs correct about as often as I get criticized for dunking a basketball too emphatically.

 

 

 

Footwork, route running, game IQ and ability to make plays. I believe that if you can get open, the rest is coachable. 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’ll be back to explore those responses - but before the evening concludes, I want to note that I appreciate them.

 

WR is a fail every year for me, I want to remedy that.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, volsmet said:

ES draft familia, what do you look for in WRs, I get late round WRs correct about as often as I get criticized for dunking a basketball too emphatically.

 

 

Burst, strong/quick hands, aggressive and able to read coverage (football IQ).

These traits give a WR the ability to release from the line/press coverage, block, find the soft spots in the secondary, separate and be where a QB expects them to be

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Have you all ever noticed that most top NFL players at various positions tend to fall into one of maybe like two types with strict physical parameters and playing styles, except for quarterbacks, runningbacks, and wide receivers?  The roles and systems are so varied.  Sitting down to think about what makes a good NFL receiver, you go from DeAndre Hopkins traits to Antonio Brown to Tyreke Hill to Julian Edelman to Julio Jones and none of them are similar.

 

You're going to have to sit down and go team by team to assess system and role in order to project whether a receiver will be successful or not @volsmet.  Which you obviously can't do until after the draft.  Otherwise you've got to figure out specifically what the Redskins are looking for in order to project whether a player would be good for us.  Or I suppose find the guys who have the most generally good skill sets and project them to go early.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.