Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Cult of Case

Tsailand

Ummm Yeah.... well this was a bad idea for a thread title. The Cult of Colt was made for a reason. We had influx of all the people in Hawaii coming to this board because of him. There was a following like the TV show. Then there were was the fact he was selected in the 6th round and Madden compared him to Brady in the pre-season. Then there were a lot of ES members high on him too. 

Case, on the other hand, is just a case for the Skins. Nothing specials I am afraid. Keenum just happens to be, at the moment, better than what we have on the roster though. 

Wish we waited until draft to make this thread, we dont know if hes even intended to be the starter versus insurance. 

11 minutes ago, zskins said:

Ummm Yeah.... well this was a bad idea for a thread title.

I was thinking "The Case for Case" last night but held off because I didnt have one yet.

28 minutes ago, sempre_victrix said:

Who knows?  More than likely, they Forrest Gumped themselves into this position with this trade.

Yes, I would tend to agree that they react more than they plan things out. So, that's why I don't have high confidence that they necessarily were aiming at what I consider the positive side of the move. It's much more likely that their thought process was:

We need QB --> Case Keenum is QB and won playoff game with miracle --> Case Keenum team now have 2 QB --> We get Case Keenum and win playoff game!

7 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

Wish we waited until draft to make this thread, we dont know if hes even intended to be the starter versus insurance. 

Here on ES, even the backup QB gets his own thread.

7 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

I was thinking "The Case for Case" last night but held off because I didnt have one yet.

My case for Case: he is cheap and he can play NFL QB at replacement (read: below-average) level.  The other ten guys on the field will be able to do their jobs.  The overall result will not be amazing but it will be a be an NFL offense.

As opposed to QBs we've had in the past who made the players around them worse.  The O-line would block correctly, but it would be a sack anyway because the QB would walk into the pass rushers or hold the ball far too long.  The WRs would run the correct routes and get open, but the QB would never see them open, and would take off running. Etc.

Case is a gamer. We will win some games with him. Give this guy people to throw to and we will move the football. A better receiving core would probably make the biggest impact on our win loss record. 

The big question though, is do we try to upgrade the offensive line? On paper it is and has been solid, but the last two years we have had the most injured offensive line in football. I've never seen anything like it really. Do we gamble there again or go for upgrades?

With hits at receiver and oline this is a playoff team. 

23 minutes ago, Tsailand said:

Here on ES, even the backup QB gets his own thread.

Depends on the QB.  Everyone's favorite backup lately has been McCoy and he typically doesnt get one unless we KNOW hes starting.

My case for Case: he is cheap and he can play NFL QB at replacement (read: below-average) level.  The other ten guys on the field will be able to do their jobs.  The overall result will not be amazing but it will be a be an NFL offense.

That's not a case, that's wishful thinking.

As opposed to QBs we've had in the past who made the players around them worse.  The O-line would block correctly, but it would be a sack anyway because the QB would walk into the pass rushers or hold the ball far too long.  The WRs would run the correct routes and get open, but the QB would never see them open, and would take off running. Etc.

I'm not buying this until I know if we getting Vikings Case or Broncos case.  If hes so ideal, why did we jus get him for a box of Krispy Kream doughnuts?  Because Broncos got Flacco, who was riding one last year?

32 minutes ago, PlayAction said:

Cheap upgrade over Josh Johnson.  Swap a 6th round pick for a 7th next year and only 3.5 million.  What's not to like?

There are goldfish at petsmart that are upgrades to JJ, that's not saying much.

48 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

Right, so why say it's a bad move or trade when we have no idea what it will look like in 6 months? 

The Case for Case is that he a very cheap insurance policy for McCoy if he is the starter, or he is the back-up for a different starter (Rosen, someone they draft) or he is a trade enhancment to get Rosen. 

The very worst is that they swapped 2020 very later rd draft picks and spent $3.5M on someone who never plays. How is that so bad?  People are seriously over-reacting here. 

Nothing is done. Nothing is settled. All options are still very much alive. They had two starting QBs go down last yr and were bringing guys off the street. And Colt is still not cleared. He may not be. They needed a veteran back-up no matter what. So they got one cheap. And a guy that has had a little success - albeit fleeting. 

Now had they brought him in on a multi year contract >E$10M/yr or used a high draft pick for him then I would be pissed as hell. With the current situation that would be debilitating. But 1 yr for $3.5M? In NFL terms that is nothing. 

57 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

@goskins10 again, that's not a case for Keenum, that's a case for not havin an aneurysm.  This is extremely volatile period for this franchise, starting to wonder if the goal is a ring anymore for the higher ups.

Not sure how this is any more volatile than any other time under Dan? And how does this ensure mediocrity? With Colt we are assured a very rough season. Are you saying Case is a huge upgrade? Enough to get the 3 or 4 more wins than Colt? Good luck with that.

No one, and I repeat no one thinks this moves the needle much. But it is a positive move. If you have expectations of them making a move that will make the ma SB winner this year, good luck with that. This is a broken franchise. We all know it. But that does not mean that every move the team makes needs to be attacked.

They brought in a virtually free back-up QB that may even give them some leverage for Rosen. It at least means when Colt gets injured they have a veteran with at least a little success to replace him. That's all this is. Nothing more nothing less.

I do not know about Bruce as I think he is general a ****ing douche. But my goal is a SB. Does this get them there? Of course not. Not even close. But it is not bad either. There is a lot of offseason to go.

26 minutes ago, BRAVEONTHEWARPATH93 said:

....my issue is that he sucks. The cost isn’t relevant to me.

I was told they were “close”. Well, close teams don’t trade for Case Keenum. They get rid of him actually. 

We are not close and you know it. And you know that's just the company line. And don't look now but good teams bring in cheap backups all the time. Its just their fans do not lose their collective **** over a minor move.

What is the worst that happens? Case is the starter and the team goes 2-14 or worse Bruce gets fired, Jay get fired, and we get a new GM and HC. Maybe Dan screws up and gets someone capable this time. This for me is actually ideal. He is bad, the other moves made are worse, the team gets that #1 or #2 pick and we get a real QB. Next years group is much better. Mean while use the draft picks to fortify the line and secondary.

The best for me is they package Case with a 3rd pick and get Rosen. He turns out to be a franchise QB for them and get to use all the other drafts picks on other spots of need. Then 2020 and beyond look good.

And again, nothing is finished. You guys are jumping to gross conclusions in March. The new season has not even started. How about looking at the finished product then make a decision.

For me it's a win win. Either they suck and Bruce moves on or they do well and we have a good team. It's unlikely they limp along again. And even if they do, I doubt Bruce or Jay survive. I think they have to get into the POs and win a game. And I do not see that with this team unless a lot of things go really really right. Guice is a stud, the QB they end up with is also a stud, they fix the secondary and the oline stays healthy. R Foster plays lights out trying to prove SF wrong. The new coaches bring some killer instinct into the team. That's an awful lot to go right.

19 minutes ago, goskins10 said:

Not sure how this is any more volatile than any other time under Dan? And how does this ensure mediocrity? With Colt we are assured a very rough season. Are you saying Case is a huge upgrade? Enough to get the 3 or 4 more wins than Colt? Good luck with that.

I went to to the Philly game that was completely taken over, this is different.  I don't get your point on Colt, Case is a better QB because he will stay healthy, which wouldve kept us in playoff hunt last year.

No one, and I repeat no one thinks this moves the needle much. But it is a positive move. If you have expectations of them making a move that will make the ma SB winner this year, good luck with that. This is a broken franchise. We all know it. But that does not mean that every move the team makes needs to be attacked.

I'm not attacking anything, stop lumping me in with other people.  This is not the move of a franchise that knows how to build a contender.  It's another bandaid, and I'm tired of that, I'm sick of it.

They brought in a virtually free back-up QB that may even give them some leverage for Rosen. It at least means when Colt gets injured they have a veteran with at least a little success to replace him. That's all this is. Nothing more nothing less.

Too many assumptions, too many QBs.  You saying this like we still going to get Rosen, this is starting to feel like looking if someone drops to them or building rest of the team because they won't shut up about the 6-3 record.

I do not know about Bruce as I think he is general a ****ing douche. But my goal is a SB. Does this get them there? Of course not. Not even close. But it is not bad either. There is a lot of offseason to go.

Then we shouldn't of done it.  Case is 31, he's not the future even as a backup, all our QBs are in their 30s.  Until this is addressed, we have no future, that's why no one could enjoy last season.

9 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

I went to to the Philly game that was completely taken over, this is different.  I don't get your point on Colt, Case is a better QB because he will stay healthy, which wouldve kept us in playoff hunt last year.

Pure speculation. Not sure we stay in contention with Colt much less Case. Colt was not exactly tearing it up. The problem with the team were deepr than a QB

I'm not attacking anything, stop lumping me in with other people.  This is not the move of a franchise that knows how to build a contender.  It's another bandaid, and I'm tired of that, I'm sick of it.

This is your opinion and a poor one considering it's one move of many and it's just March. You are making the assumption they are done and Keenum is the starting QB right now. Nothing to suggest that. It's strictly your speculation. Team has not made any proclamations that he is the designated starter. So your band aid statement make sense as nothing has been decided.

Too many assumptions, too many QBs.  You saying this like we still going to get Rosen, this is starting to feel like looking if someone drops to them or building rest of the team because they won't shut up about the 6-3 record.

I was making the point that there are still many other things that can be done. I made zero assumptions. Just posed options and making a rational point that he could be a backup if/when McCoy gets inured. We could still be going after Rosen. But i only propose it as an option still open. I said nothing more. The rest about the 6-3 record thing makes zero sense. I really have no idea where you are going with that.

Then we shouldn't of done it.  Case is 31, he's not the future even as a backup, all our QBs are in their 30s.  Until this is addressed, we have no future, that's why no one could enjoy last season.

Again it's March!! There is a lot of off season left. I am done here.

18 minutes ago, goskins10 said:

Pure speculation. Not sure we stay in contention with Colt much less Case. Colt was not exactly tearing it up. The problem with the team were deepr than a QB

I'm not the only one that felt a lot of those games would've been different with a health Alex or Colt to end the year.  I believe we do and will with the Case the Vikings had.

This is your opinion and a poor one considering it's one move of many and it's just March. You are making the assumption they are done and Keenum is the starting QB right now. Nothing to suggest that. It's strictly your speculation. Team has not made any proclamations that he is the designated starter. So your band aid statement make sense as nothing has been decided.

I'm not assuming anything, this is just a pattern I've noticed with them and they don't like carrying a lot of QBs.  You need to chill.

I was making the point that there are still many other things that can be done. I made zero assumptions. Just posed options and making a rational point that he could be a backup if/when McCoy gets inured. We could still be going after Rosen. But i only propose it as an option still open. I said nothing more. The rest about the 6-3 record thing makes zero sense. I really have no idea where you are going with that.

This was a competitive team with bad QB play and made it to 6-3 with subpar Alex.  Jay and Bruce bring this 6-3 thing up for a reason, they are back for a reason, they think they are closer to not needing a young qb then we do.

Again it's March!! There is a lot of off season left. I am done here.

Good for you?

2 hours ago, goskins10 said:

We are not close and you know it. And you know that's just the company line. And don't look now but good teams bring in cheap backups all the time. Its just their fans do not lose their collective **** over a minor move.

What is the worst that happens? Case is the starter and the team goes 2-14 or worse Bruce gets fired, Jay get fired, and we get a new GM and HC. Maybe Dan screws up and gets someone capable this time. This for me is actually ideal. He is bad, the other moves made are worse, the team gets that #1 or #2 pick and we get a real QB. Next years group is much better. Mean while use the draft picks to fortify the line and secondary.

The best for me is they package Case with a 3rd pick and get Rosen. He turns out to be a franchise QB for them and get to use all the other drafts picks on other spots of need. Then 2020 and beyond look good.

And again, nothing is finished. You guys are jumping to gross conclusions in March. The new season has not even started. How about looking at the finished product then make a decision.

For me it's a win win. Either they suck and Bruce moves on or they do well and we have a good team. It's unlikely they limp along again. And even if they do, I doubt Bruce or Jay survive. I think they have to get into the POs and win a game. And I do not see that with this team unless a lot of things go really really right. Guice is a stud, the QB they end up with is also a stud, they fix the secondary and the oline stays healthy. R Foster plays lights out trying to prove SF wrong. The new coaches bring some killer instinct into the team. That's an awful lot to go right.

I know they aren’t. But those are their words. So I’m holding them to it. 

2 hours ago, Renegade7 said:

I'm not the only one that felt a lot of those games would've been different with a health Alex or Colt to end the year.  I believe we do and will with the Case the Vikings had.

You are free to believe that but I disagree. The team was lucky as **** to be 6-3 beating literally no one of importance. His last two games the team scored 14 while getting blown out by a very bad Atl team (I live here I know just how bad they are) and a whole 16 pts against Tampa, a very lucky win - 500 yds of offense by Tampa and 3 pts - never happened in history. And those were two of the worst defenses in the NFL. Then he was way down to Houston before getting injured. Colt is a more reckless Alex Smith. Not sure hwo that means the team stays in the hunt. But Ok. 

I'm not assuming anything, this is just a pattern I've noticed with them and they don't like carrying a lot of QBs.  You need to chill.

By the very nature of you saying you have noticed a pattern so this is what this moves means is the very definition of "assuming." You are making the assumption based on previous seasons that they have not learned a lesson from last yr losing their top two QBs.  It's Ok. You are allowed to make assumptions. My point was and is that I think your assumption is poor because there are still many options open and a lot of time left. You may be right. I do no think they are. I think they have some more moves to make at QB. But if not, it's still not the end of the world (speaking metaphorically of course.) 

This was a competitive team with bad QB play and made it to 6-3 with subpar Alex.  Jay and Bruce bring this 6-3 thing up for a reason, they are back for a reason, they think they are closer to not needing a young qb then we do.

If you are buying the we are close to being a really good team, while that would explain a lot, i still do not see the problem with spending virtually nothing to get a healthier backup. In fact your whole line of reasoning really just makes no sense if you really believe the Bruce hype. Maybe I was giving you too much credit. 

Archived