Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Plight of the 2021 Baltimore Orioles

Spaceman Spiff

4 hours ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

I'm not sure if you thought the 2020 Orioles would be significantly better with Bundy and Villar.  This team was going to lose around 100 games no matter what, most likely.  What exactly did you expect?

If you're complaint is that they're going to be doing it with unfamiliar faces, I get it.  But let's not pretend Bundy was a great pitcher to begin with and Villar was a centerpiece for the next winning team.

My expectation was that the team would begin to add talent to the MLB roster and not subtract talent just to add quantity to the minor league system. They won't replace Villar with quality nor will they replace Bundy with quality. I don't mind the trades, I mind that they won't replace them with anything more than a journeyman/AAA type player. Villar would have been a good transition type player. He's still young, he's had good seasons and it helps to have a few established veterans when players come up. Instead of dealing him for a mediocre prospect, sign him to a 2 or 3 year deal at $8 million per that builds a bridge to young infield prospects. Aim for 65-70 wins this year as young guys start to cycle up more and more over the season. In 2021 shoot for .500. The first big wave of pitchers will be up for the O's. Adley will be close if not up. DL and Grayson will be a season away. 

Instead it's slashing more payroll and trading away talent. I will be surprised if Mancini isn't traded. By the time the O's might be decent, he will be a FA. Givens will almost certainly be gone this off-season. I'll laugh if they keep CD on the roster and not release him. 

Honestly, it wouldn't shock me if part of the slashing payroll is that they have to pay off a MASN settlement. IF that's the reason for it, I'd rather know. I could accept that. I won't accept tanking when the O's now have a strong pipeline in the minors and will have the 2nd pick in the draft next season. 

I'm not moved by Bundy leaving from a production standpoint because he just never was able to put it together.  Flashes here and there of his potential, but otherwise meh to not very good.

just more saddened that Bundy is another failed top pitching prospect for this team.  I think the only pitching prospect to actually develop into a high end ML pitcher while in an Iittle uniform is Britton.  Even then he had to become a reliever.  Before that Mussina, I think.

Villar was just fun to watch.  There isnt a lot of that to be had on the current roster.  It is after all an entertainment product.  Gotta have a reason to watch.  Wish they woulda traded him back before the deadline if they had no plans to keep him.

Edited by justice98

• 4 weeks later...
On 12/5/2019 at 2:56 PM, Spaceman Spiff said:

I'm not sure if you thought the 2020 Orioles would be significantly better with Bundy and Villar.  This team was going to lose around 100 games no matter what, most likely.  What exactly did you expect?

If you're complaint is that they're going to be doing it with unfamiliar faces, I get it.  But let's not pretend Bundy was a great pitcher to begin with and Villar was a centerpiece for the next winning team.

I'm in the same mindset - since the 2018 strip down, I'd been planning on suffering through a brutal 2019 season (check!) and a brutal 2020 season.  For me there's little difference between 55 wins and 65 wins for a team that is undergoing a full-on rebuild.  It sucks that we're losing some of our few established players for what amounts to scratch-off lottery tickets, but I trust Elias because as a fan I really don't have any other options short of dropping off the Birdland map for a time (which I don't blame other fans for doing).

I'll continue to watch them this summer with zero expectations and attend my usual half dozen games.  In 2021 I will expect the club to field a respectable team and hold onto their established talent, and by 2022 they should be willing to spend some money and hopefully become the competitors we're all being sold on to get us through these rough years.  It's a long road, but I lived through 2018 and 2019 and I'm still wearing orange, so as a fan I think I can get through anything.

1 hour ago, capcrunch98 said:

I'm in the same mindset - since the 2018 strip down, I'd been planning on suffering through a brutal 2019 season (check!) and a brutal 2020 season.  For me there's little difference between 55 wins and 65 wins for a team that is undergoing a full-on rebuild.  It sucks that we're losing some of our few established players for what amounts to scratch-off lottery tickets, but I trust Elias because as a fan I really don't have any other options short of dropping off the Birdland map for a time (which I don't blame other fans for doing).

I'll continue to watch them this summer with zero expectations and attend my usual half dozen games.  In 2021 I will expect the club to field a respectable team and hold onto their established talent, and by 2022 they should be willing to spend some money and hopefully become the competitors we're all being sold on to get us through these rough years.  It's a long road, but I lived through 2018 and 2019 and I'm still wearing orange, so as a fan I think I can get through anything.

Yes.   I agree with everything you wrote, but specifically the bolded part.  

To me there is a huge difference between winning 55 games and 75 games. There is no need to continue tanking so if a team isn’t interested in attempting to field a competitive, they will pay the price long term with fans. The only thing preventing a massive cratering in attendance numbers are fans from other teams. They could’ve easily begun the process of adding talent to the major league roster this season.

Don't be surprised if the payroll never approaches what it once was. 

4 hours ago, Hersh said:

To me there is a huge difference between winning 55 games and 75 games. There is no need to continue tanking so if a team isn’t interested in attempting to field a competitive, they will pay the price long term with fans. The only thing preventing a massive cratering in attendance numbers are fans from other teams. They could’ve easily begun the process of adding talent to the major league roster this season.

Don't be surprised if the payroll never approaches what it once was. 

I'm out of the area and only see them once (maybe twice) when they come out west.  Don't watch much on TV.  But I can understand the sentiment of not wanting them to be horrible even if they are in a rebuild mode and it hurts the draft position.  MLB drafts are a crapshoot anyway, and at least it gives us a chance to play spoiler to the Yanks/Sox.  Like in 2011 when we ended the Sox season in the last game.  I was actually thinking of catching a game in the Yard this year during one of my east coast trips.   It would be nice if I didn't have to watch a AAA pitcher get shelled.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, DCSaints_fan said:

I'm out of the area and only see them once (maybe twice) when they come out west.  Don't watch much on TV.  But I can understand the sentiment of not wanting them to be horrible even if they are in a rebuild mode and it hurts the draft position.  MLB drafts are a crapshoot anyway, and at least it gives us a chance to play spoiler to the Yanks/Sox.  Like in 2011 when we ended the Sox season in the last game.  I was actually thinking of catching a game in the Yard this year during one of my east coast trips.   It would be nice if I didn't have to watch a AAA pitcher get shelled.

They have the 2nd pick in this years draft. That's the 1st and 2nd overall picks and the O's seem to have hit on DL Hall and G-Rod who were a bit lower. How many top-3 picks do they need? Plus, gotta be able to hit on mid and low first round picks to stay good beyond a short window. If Elias is this good of a GM, he needs to be able to succeed in the draft without top picks. 

• 2 months later...

Sounds like Trey Mancini is suffering from some sort of serious medical issue.  Looks bad based on comments from teammates.  Anyone know what the deal is?

https://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/analysis/schmuck/bs-sp-trey-mancini-illness-reminds-us-of-whats-important-20200308-2rbli5xcz5exxo47eiom5i7tei-story.html

The Orioles are keeping a tight lid on information about the “non-baseball medical procedure” that outfielder Trey Mancini left spring training camp for Saturday, but it should be fairly obvious from the comments of his worried teammates that he is dealing with a very serious situation.

When you hear veteran pitcher Alex Cobb talk about how confident he is that the team’s most popular and productive player will “beat” what he’s going through and come back stronger, it sounds both encouraging and ominous at the same time.

When rookie Austin Hays relates embracing Trey and telling him that he loves him and will be praying for him, you know how much the situation must be impacting the youngest players on the club and how much Mancini is revered in every corner of the clubhouse.

Click link above for full article.

It’s bizarre they aren’t yet saying what it is. Maybe a tumor that they don’t know if malignant? I only say that cause they don’t seem to what to put a timeline on missing time so maybe they aren’t sure at this point. 

This sucks for him. I’m hoping it’s not a big deal, but I fear it is. I remember just a little over 20 years ago when Eric Davis had colon cancer. Maybe Davis didn’t care if people knew. But putting that into perspective and knowing how they talked about it, I fear that with Mancini it’s something worse. I just hope I’m being paranoid though. 

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I just received an email from the Orioles.  They are offering a 125% credit to your online account for season ticket holders, or a full refund on March, April and May games.  If you ordered single game tickets online or through the box office, they are advising you contact the box office line for refunds/credit.  If you ordered through third party sellers, you need to contact the third party seller.  

I also asked for clarification on whether or not that 125% credit can be rolled into future season tickets, or if it's just for single game purchases.  That's huge to me, and not clear in their FAQ.  If we don't have a season this year, that credit means my entire 2021 plan is already paid for, as well as 3/4's of 2022.  I don't see any team being happy with losing that much active cash flow.  

15 hours ago, ThomasTomasz said:

I just received an email from the Orioles.  They are offering a 125% credit to your online account for season ticket holders, or a full refund on March, April and May games.  If you ordered single game tickets online or through the box office, they are advising you contact the box office line for refunds/credit.  If you ordered through third party sellers, you need to contact the third party seller.  

I get that the Os would rather you come into the ballpark later than take a straight refund now. So it makes sense and seems like a nice deal. Rewards your loyalty and allows the Orioles to keep some money now while they aren’t making any. Let us know what you hear! 

With the KBO starting next week, I have decided on the NC Dinos as my team! I didn’t want a team that already existed in the US (Twins, Lions, Giants, etc.) and my 5 year old picked among the remaining mascots. 

On the squad is former Orioles 5th starter/swing Mike Wright! 

BE354B3E-E66D-42F7-B168-17D51A85E4F3.png

• 1 month later...

Orioles draft #2 this week, and obviously hitting on these picks will go a long way in determining how well this team will do over the next decade.  Ever since I let my subscription to the Baltimore Sun lapse, this thread and the knowledgeable posters here are one of my main sources for O's news.  Anyone familiar with this year's draft class, and who the Birds should grab with the second pick? 

3 minutes ago, capcrunch98 said:

Orioles draft #2 this week, and obviously hitting on these picks will go a long way in determining how well this team will do over the next decade.  Ever since I let my subscription to the Baltimore Sun lapse, this thread and the knowledgeable posters here are one of my main sources for O's news.  Anyone familiar with this year's draft class, and who the Birds should grab with the second pick? 

Go to http://masnsports.com

The pick is hopefully Austin Martin but there is a great amount of information at the link. Daily O's reports.

Edited by Hersh

I dont really follow the amateur draft like that outside of what the O's do, but I saw a bunch of folks freaking out over us passing on Austin Martin.  Even the national folks thought that was an interesting decision. 

There was some talk about money and slot and all that amateur draft stuff I'm not all that tied in to.  But Martin didnt go 3 or4 either, so there's gotta be some explanation for that.  Because there was a lot of "Martin is the best player in the draft" stuff going in.