Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Plight of the 2021 Baltimore Orioles

Spaceman Spiff

KC trying real hard to steal our #2 pick.  

We may have to recall Straily and start Davis.

Villar stealing home was pretty awesome.  I'll be pretty upset if he's non-tendered this offseason.

In other news, I can't remember the last time I saw a double play off a sacrifice fly. 

Edit: Apparently we can't recall Straily as the Phillies were somehow dumb enough to buy his contract. 

Edited by DCSaints_fan

9 hours ago, DCSaints_fan said:

KC trying real hard to steal our #2 pick.  

We may have to recall Straily and start Davis.

Villar stealing home was pretty awesome.  I'll be pretty upset if he's non-tendered this offseason.

In other news, I can't remember the last time I saw a double play off a sacrifice fly. 

Edit: Apparently we can't recall Straily as the Phillies were somehow dumb enough to buy his contract. 

The winning annoys me at this point. I just assume get the first or second pick at this point. 

• 2 weeks later...

I don't mind most of the changes. I think he made mistakes in getting rid of some of the scouts that helped produce a top-10 farm system. This will be an interesting off-season. If they trade Villar, Mancini and Givens and don't do much in the way of signing a quality starting pitcher, I won't watch a game. I don't watch games now cause they are awful. I have no interest in going through another season in which they tank. 

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, -JB- said:

Last I saw #1 overall pick Adley Rutschman was batting .154 in Low A?  Matt Wieters 2.0?  Say it ain’t so!

I didn't know that, but sounds about right, cuz Orioles.  I don't trust our front office to scout or draft any good players, and I sure don't trust our farm system to develop anyone.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, abdcskins said:

I didn't know that, but sounds about right, cuz Orioles.  I don't trust our front office to scout or draft any good players, and I sure don't trust our farm system to develop anyone.

Rutschmab was pretty much consensus #1 pick from what I read

Even good organizations miss.  Look at the Astros with Mark Appel.  Didn’t stop them from winning the series a few years later

3 minutes ago, DCSaints_fan said:

Rutschmab was pretty much consensus #1 pick from what I read

Even good organizations miss.  Look at the Astros with Mark Appel.  Didn’t stop them from winning the series a few years later

Oh that's true, I saw he was highly rated.  Bobby Witt Jr. was also an option.  Rutschman is 21 and has his whole career ahead of him.  Hopefully he turns it around.  I just quickly googled and it looks like it's only been 5 games and 2/14 at bats. 

I'm just saying the Orioles suck when it comes to finding talent and developing it.  That's the difference between a good and bad franchise.  We could've drafted Corey Seager or Michael Wacha instead of Kevin Gausman.  Mike Trout instead of Matt Hobgood.  The list goes on and on.  Of course hindsight is 20/20, but point is we suck at drafting.

I have to admit, I probably haven't watched a game from beginning to end since sometime in August.  Seen half of a game here, a few innings there, etc.  But I was checked out.

I was happy to see some guys rise about the mess and gave pretty respectable to good years FWIW.  Shout outs to Mancini, Villar, Means,  Alberto, and Nunez.  And Hays did well in his time in September.  Santander kinda fell off a cliff in this month, but he was hot there for a while.  

• 2 months later...

Don’t know if there was a new O’s thread but I’ve now entered the same stage with the O’s that I’ve been at with the Skins. I just don’t care anymore and won’t be watching. I didn’t like that they tanked last year but I understood. To keep tanking is not something I’m interested in spending any time on at all. 

Looks like Elias got what he could for Villar and Bundy.

Yes next year is gonna be tough again but with any luck there will be a few surprises that might give us some hope for the future.  

I just hope them carrying Davis doesn’t force the Os to expose potentially productive players to waivers  / rule V

37 minutes ago, DCSaints_fan said:

Looks like Elias got what he could for Villar and Bundy.

Yes next year is gonna be tough again but with any luck there will be a few surprises that might give us some hope for the future.  

I just hope them carrying Davis doesn’t force the Os to expose potentially productive players to waivers  / rule V

I'm glad they got something for Bundy. I always felt like he was a ticking time bomb waiting to hit another serious injury. But his story points out the importance of good drafting. He was one of the top pitching prospects in his class, yet injuries derailed what was supposed to be a successful career. That's going to happen and you can't predict it and a lot of times you can't prevent it. But if you are drafting well year after year and round after round, you can mitigate those guys who get derailed by injury. With the Orioles, too many misses during the draft and terrible development have caused that lack of depth that can't cover for these injuries.  

13 hours ago, Hersh said:

Don’t know if there was a new O’s thread but I’ve now entered the same stage with the O’s that I’ve been at with the Skins. I just don’t care anymore and won’t be watching. I didn’t like that they tanked last year but I understood. To keep tanking is not something I’m interested in spending any time on at all. 

Cool, see ya opening day 2020.

15 hours ago, Hersh said:

I hear you. And if the Orioles were doing this with the previous administration with minimal resources being spend on scouting, international development, internal development, and such then I'd be right there with you. 

But I think they hired the right guy whom is completely rebuilding every element behind the scenes and it's just going to take time.  I'll take this way over signing Jay Payton (no disrespect to him) and being like, "let's go! Woo!"

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

Cool, see ya opening day 2020.

No, you won't. Same thing happened to me with the Redskins. 

1 hour ago, TheDoyler23 said:

I hear you. And if the Orioles were doing this with the previous administration with minimal resources being spend on scouting, international development, internal development, and such then I'd be right there with you. 

But I think they hired the right guy whom is completely rebuilding every element behind the scenes and it's just going to take time.  I'll take this way over signing Jay Payton (no disrespect to him) and being like, "let's go! Woo!"

I don't mind rebuilding, but I'm no fan of sports teams spending multiple years tanking. A one year reset following the disaster of 2018, totally understandable. I don't even expect winning, just not tanking again. They are going to continue to slash payroll and trade players. The pipeline is strong now, there is no need for a full tank job. BTW, Elias is living in a fantasy world with his stated desire of never having to do a sell-off again cause the minors will always be strong. It's not a realistic view to have and no team is capable of that unless you spend like the Yankees spend. The O's won't ever do that. 

1 hour ago, Hersh said:

No, you won't. Same thing happened to me with the Redskins. 

I don't mind rebuilding, but I'm no fan of sports teams spending multiple years tanking. A one year reset following the disaster of 2018, totally understandable. I don't even expect winning, just not tanking again. They are going to continue to slash payroll and trade players. The pipeline is strong now, there is no need for a full tank job. BTW, Elias is living in a fantasy world with his stated desire of never having to do a sell-off again cause the minors will always be strong. It's not a realistic view to have and no team is capable of that unless you spend like the Yankees spend. The O's won't ever do that. 

I'm not sure if you thought the 2020 Orioles would be significantly better with Bundy and Villar.  This team was going to lose around 100 games no matter what, most likely.  What exactly did you expect?

If you're complaint is that they're going to be doing it with unfamiliar faces, I get it.  But let's not pretend Bundy was a great pitcher to begin with and Villar was a centerpiece for the next winning team.