Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Plight of the 2021 Baltimore Orioles

Spaceman Spiff

1 minute ago, TheDoyler23 said:

I wonder if it’s going to be easier or harder for outfielders to pick up the ball with nobody in the stands. I guess easier but sometimes fielders depend on sound off the bat as well. 

I think easier for sure. We will see way more over the wall catches. Good point.

Hope the bullpen can lock this down. Some insurance runs would be nice.

9 minutes ago, abdcskins said:

I don't understand how runners can ever forget how many outs there are. I mean...really? It's simple mindfulness. Davis got the insurance RBI so I'll give him a small break, but that is inexcusable. 

I think the O's base coaches need to start reminding players how many outs there are.     Maybe like hold up one arm for one out, two arms for two outs.  Cross arms for no outs.

Edited by DCSaints_fan
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, DCSaints_fan said:

I think the O's base coaches need to start reminding players how many outs there are.     Maybe like hold up one arm for one out, two arms for two outs.  Cross arms for no outs.

I was thinking this as well. I know it’s little league, but when I was coaching I’d always make sure to remind the runners how many outs there are. Obviously they need the reminder. 2 outta 3 in Boston?  I’ll take it!  Why not?  🤪

I am really excited for a 60 game season. As a long time proponent of shortening the season, I think it gives those low budget lower level teams more of an opportunity to compete. I think we all know the O's aren't going to win the World Series, but at least we have more of a chance to stay with the bigger teams. 162 games allows way too much separation. 

3 hours ago, abdcskins said:

I am really excited for a 60 game season. As a long time proponent of shortening the season, I think it gives those low budget lower level teams more of an opportunity to compete. I think we all know the O's aren't going to win the World Series, but at least we have more of a chance to stay with the bigger teams. 162 games allows way too much separation. 

The season should definitely be shortened and there should be DH every couple weeks. I pretty much hate that the O's didn't spend any money this off-season given how short it is. It's not like money they saved is gonna go into a pot of gold for some magical year a decade from now. This is pretty much an anything can happen year. 

Edited by Hersh

5 minutes ago, Hersh said:

The season should definitely be shortened and there should be DH every couple weeks. I pretty much hate that the O's didn't spend any money this off-season given how short it is. It's not like money they saved is gonna go into a pot of gold for some magical year a decade from now. This is pretty much an anything can happen year. 

Its not just this year though - typically you sign players to multi-year contracts.  Unless they are part of a long-term plan, or you need a stopgap, there's not much point.  I'm pretty sure the braintrust is looking at starting to compete in 2022 at the earliest.

3 minutes ago, DCSaints_fan said:

Its not just this year though - typically you sign players to multi-year contracts.  Unless they are part of a long-term plan, or you need a stopgap, there's not much point.  I'm pretty sure the braintrust is looking at starting to compete in 2022 at the earliest.

Which is why I'm so much less of a fan these days. Even when they had all the terrible seasons on BB (before Buck), I would never miss a game if I was home. Now I follow but don't watch even if I'm home and have time. Teams tanking in the name of rebuilding is the worst thing to happen in modern day sports. 

11 minutes ago, Hersh said:

Which is why I'm so much less of a fan these days. Even when they had all the terrible seasons on BB (before Buck), I would never miss a game if I was home. Now I follow but don't watch even if I'm home and have time. Teams tanking in the name of rebuilding is the worst thing to happen in modern day sports. 

Tanking to me is deliberately trying to lose games.  I don't think anyone on the Orioles org is attempting to do that.  And if they are, they should be banned from baseball for life.  

This is the reality of not having a salary cap or floor, with limited revenue sharing.    If you are a small market or even medium market team like the Os, it makes sense to save up money for few years, trade off assets for prospects, then start spending money when you are ready to make a run.  Especially a in division like the AL East with the Red Sox and Yanks having an almost unlimited budget.  This is what Houston did, after all. 

From the late 90s early 2000s we tried to beat the Yanks at their own game, and it got sub .500 baseball for 14 years.  McPhail and then Duquette come in, change the approach, and in a few years we're playoff contenders for a good 4-5 years.  If we made any mistake, it was probably notf selling some assets around 2016 when they were at max value - such as Britton.   I won't even criticize the Davis signing, as it seemed logical at the time and everyone thought he was going to be a core Oriole.   The only way that went wrong there is we probably overpaid as we bid against ourselves.

Edited by DCSaints_fan
  • Like 2

Elias doesn't hide the fact that winning isn't a priority and if you aren't trying to win, to me, that is tanking. He is on record from the end of last season:

“Our record last year was historically bad,” Elias said. “This year, it’s not going to be a ton better. Nobody wants to lose. We never want this to happen again, but this is where we started from. The group of people who joined the organization this year, we took this on, trying to fix it. In order to do that, we’re making changes. We’re not just doing the same thing with the same people that have been done here before. It’s difficult.”

“I think we’re going to continue to be in the strategic mode that I’ve said from the beginning this year, about improving the overall talent level in the organization,” Elias said. “That’s going to be priority No. 1. What comes after that is secondary. I hope that we keep kind of improving in a linear way, but that’s not always the case with these.”

30 minutes ago, Hersh said:

Elias doesn't hide the fact that winning isn't a priority and if you aren't trying to win, to me, that is tanking. He is on record from the end of last season:

“Our record last year was historically bad,” Elias said. “This year, it’s not going to be a ton better. Nobody wants to lose. We never want this to happen again, but this is where we started from. The group of people who joined the organization this year, we took this on, trying to fix it. In order to do that, we’re making changes. We’re not just doing the same thing with the same people that have been done here before. It’s difficult.”

“I think we’re going to continue to be in the strategic mode that I’ve said from the beginning this year, about improving the overall talent level in the organization,” Elias said. “That’s going to be priority No. 1. What comes after that is secondary. I hope that we keep kind of improving in a linear way, but that’s not always the case with these.”

Besides not reupping Villar, not sure what you would want them to do.   I made a joke post on OH about how the Orioles could have won the World Series this year if they were willing to spend $80 million between Rendon, Bumgarner and Keuchel.  But in some bizzaro world where they were able to actually do that, they still probably win like maybe 70 games in a full season.  

And I would note, they signed Iglesias for $3.5 million even though they easily could have justified floating by this year with Richie Martin.    And Iglesias has been raking so far.  Doesn't seem like tanking to me.

Edited by DCSaints_fan

4 minutes ago, DCSaints_fan said:

Besides not reupping Villar, not sure what you would want them to do.   I made a joke post on OH about how the Orioles could have won the World Series this year if they were willing to spend $80 million between Rendon, Bumgarner and Keuchel.  But in some bizzaro world where they were able to actually do that, they still probably win like maybe 70 games in a full season.  

A starting pitcher or two would have been nice. Given the situation, I'd personally love to see a couple younger pitchers get a chance in the pen like Baumann or Kremer. If you have Means, a healthy Cobb and you add a good starter to the mix, you have a much better product and it doesn't impact a thing in the future. 

I'm not an expert on salary cap or revenue sharing or anything regarding economics in baseball (or any other sport), but I like the idea of saving up money then spending when the time is right. I also, however, like competing, and being able to find gems like Iglesias for cheap gives me hope that the front office has a decent clue on what to do. Because scouting and signing the right guys is what wins you games and championships. I don't think anyone in the front office or on the field is tanking. They are doing the best they can with what they have.

I know I'm not saying anything new, just typing out loud. I can never forgive the Davis signing though - I was so sure he was going to fall off and damn he sure did. It didn't take a brilliant baseball mind to predict that. I didn't think he would be this bad though. I don't even hate the guy, you can tell he cares and tries....he just can't hit. Who knows maybe he will get hot this year.

On an unrelated note, how the hell is Mookie Betts worth that much money? I know he is a good player, but he isn't that good. Baseball contracts baffle me.

O's are pretty huge underdogs today against Cole. I went ahead and put 25 bucks on them 😁 Let's see if Wojciechowski can keep the Yanks under wraps.

Well...not a good start. Leadoff HR LeMahieu.

Severino gets catcher's interference twice in three batters. What is going on? Back up from the plate. 

Edited by abdcskins

• Spaceman Spiff changed the title to The Plight of the 2021 Baltimore Orioles