Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Plight of the 2021 Baltimore Orioles

Spaceman Spiff

• 2 weeks later...

This team looks great one day, terrible the next.

Yefry Ramirez seems like a good kid but looking at him today...he just looks like one of those guys I remember growing up, you'd see him on TV or get his baseball card and you just automatically knew they weren't going to make it.  Like Radhames Liz or Mike Oquist.

1 hour ago, Hersh said:

This team is as terrible as their record suggests. I hope the team promotes DJ Stewart soon and dumps Núñez. 

DJ has earned it, he has little to prove in Norfolk & we have squat to lose by letting him play. Perhaps Akin will be up after the break.

It wasn’t that long ago that the Orioles were one of the best defensive teams in baseball. And yes, having Machado makes a huge difference. Also Jones was  in his prime and  Schoop who was underrated as a defensive 2B and steady Eddie JJ Hardy, that was a rock solid defense. But sometimes it’s not always being spectacular at defense that wins games. It’s making the plays you need to make. It’s being smart with where you throw the ball. That’s the type of stuff that frustrates me. And this is where a manager can help. He can teach these guys where to throw the ball. When to throw to this base or that base. We will see if Hyde can teach these guys to make the right play and not always try for the spectacular play, especially when you have no shot at the so-called spectacular one.

8 hours ago, DCSaints_fan said:

As bad as our starters have been, its hard to believe our bullpen is actually worse. 

geez I thought the Nats bullpen was bad

I will be there tonight for the Game of Thrones bobblehead. Don't expect much of a crowd. Attendance very poor at OPACY this year.

23 hours ago, Redskin4ever said:

And this is where a manager can help. He can teach these guys where to throw the ball. When to throw to this base or that base. 

See this is what I don't get about the majors.  I played baseball up through college and then coached my sons teams when they were growing up.  We harped on this stuff all the time.  Situational baseball and thinking about what you're going to do if/when the ball is hit to you.  People act like these guys haven't played baseball and need to be taught, but these guys have been playing since they were young.  They should know by now where to throw and when, etc.  It's not like baseball changes significantly when you get to the majors.  Just more of the same but faster and better.  If someone shows up to the majors and doesn't know whent to throw it and where, I'd argue they'll never get it.

39 minutes ago, SkinFanInMinn said:

See this is what I don't get about the majors.  I played baseball up through college and then coached my sons teams when they were growing up.  We harped on this stuff all the time.  Situational baseball and thinking about what you're going to do if/when the ball is hit to you.  People act like these guys haven't played baseball and need to be taught, but these guys have been playing since they were young.  They should know by now where to throw and when, etc.  It's not like baseball changes significantly when you get to the majors.  Just more of the same but faster and better.  If someone shows up to the majors and doesn't know whent to throw it and where, I'd argue they'll never get it.

They should, yes. But they don’t always. Plus, most of these guys were probably the best players on their team. They could get away with throwing to the wrong base because they could throw guys out. And their mistakes didn’t always hurt them like they do in the pros. But I think it’s also wrong to assume they all know what to do. 

I remember a story from the days when Hargrove was managing. They were working on run downs and were doing it wrong. Cal Ripken starts explains to some of the younger guys how to properly execute a run down. Hargrove stops practice and tells Cal to explain it to the whole team. I think the term he used was something like “I think we could all use a refresher.” Now, Cal was a unique player and was the guy that every time would make the right play. He’s a coaches son and Cal Sr made sure he and Billy would always make the right play. But what i got from that story that happened almost 20 years ago is that you can’t just assume that players who make it to the pros always know the right plays to make. A lot of them do, but not all of them. It’s why you have pitching coaches and hitting coaches and bench coaches to work with different positions. They need to be working with these guys, especially a team full of young guys. They can’t just assume these guys know what to do in every situation once they reach the bigs. If the coaches do assume they know this stuff, that’s not good for the future because you aren’t helping develop these guys into great players. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Redskin4ever said:

But what i got from that story that happened almost 20 years ago is that you can’t just assume that players who make it to the pros always know the right plays to make. A lot of them do, but not all of them. It’s why you have pitching coaches and hitting coaches and bench coaches to work with different positions. They need to be working with these guys, especially a team full of young guys. They can’t just assume these guys know what to do in every situation once they reach the bigs. If the coaches do assume they know this stuff, that’s not good for the future because you aren’t helping develop these guys into great players. 

Yea, and a lot of this goes back to the "Oriole Way." If you get called up to play 2B, you will step in a field JUST like the person you replaced. Footwork, cut off structure, etc.  You were drafted or signed and played in the minors for a few years, having passed through a series of coaches whom used that system to a tee. 

There are so many position  players on this roster whom were not in the organization a year ago. They're just filling spots at the moment. 

As terrible as this team is, I'd much rather watch this team than the 2018 version.  This team gives effort which to a certain degree makes up for the mistakes that they make and the lack of talent.

From game #2 in 2018, they just sleepwalked through the entire rest of the season.  I miss Jones, Machado, but thats about it.

13 minutes ago, SkinFanInMinn said:

Geeze Givens, really?  O's fight back from 5-1 to tie it and you walk in the go-ahead run in the top of the ninth.  Wow.

****ing terrible.  Givens is a 6th or 7th inning guy.  I understand he's in the closers spot cause he's the best reliever, but he's certainly not great.

Bad bad bad team. Too bad we had our window but couldn't capitalize (meaning 3-4 years ago). Now it's gonna be a long wait. It's okay, nothing new for me and my sports teams. I've accepted it.

*edit* Actually 4-6 years ago would be more appropriate. Back when Brian Roberts was good. I remember Jim Johnson blowing SO many games for us. Like he was good, then he was horrible. Truly horrible.

Edited by abdcskins