Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Plight of the 2021 Baltimore Orioles

Spaceman Spiff

1 hour ago, Redskin4ever said:

It’s looking like it may never happen. You have to figure it will because lots of no name guys can put the bat on the ball and a hit falls every now and again. 

I still don’t understand why he won’t bunt and beat the shift. Not just to get off the zero hit mark, but as an actual weapon to get on base for the team. I’m sure pride has to do with it, but after last season, he should throw pride out the window and do anything he can to improve on those historically bad numbers. Instead, he’s going the other way.

Analytics led by Sig are very clear about this. Sig stated that when it comes to OBP, one issue is that it doesn't give more weight to extra base hits. Therefore a single is not nearly as valuable as a home run when it comes to a power hitter. I'm not saying I agree or that diminishing power/results shouldn't weigh into an analytic equation, I'm simply saying why the O's don't do it. 

Personally, I'd have him bunt against the shift every time. 

14 minutes ago, Hersh said:

Analytics led by Sig are very clear about this. Sig stated that when it comes to OBP, one issue is that it doesn't give more weight to extra base hits. Therefore a single is not nearly as valuable as a home run when it comes to a power hitter. I'm not saying I agree or that diminishing power/results shouldn't weigh into an analytic equation, I'm simply saying why the O's don't do it. 

Personally, I'd have him bunt against the shift every time. 

I don’t know all the analytics, but I’m sure there is a point of diminishing returns. When he was hitting .230 and hitting 30-40 homeruns, then it probably is more value to swing for the fences. But hitting .150 like he did last year or being hitless this year, there is no way that is more valuable than dropping down a bunt. I just can’t believe the Orioles would be telling him to keep swinging hard when he is frequently swinging and missing. 

1 hour ago, TD_washingtonredskins said:

I haven't seen many games yet, but is the shift part of the problem so far? Not that a bunt wouldn't be a good way to get a hit (like you mentioned) but is he hitting into the shift at all?

To me, it’s not if he is hitting into the shift. It’s that he’s not hitting period and if the shift is on, you have an easy hit available to you as a way to get on base. 

I feel bad for him that it's a national news story now. Hopefully he gets a swinging bunt hit against the shift next game just so the news coverage outside Baltimore stops. 

Having said that, it really is ridiculous that they haven't DFA'd him yet. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Hersh said:

I feel bad for him that it's a national news story now. Hopefully he gets a swinging bunt hit against the shift next game just so the news coverage outside Baltimore stops. 

Having said that, it really is ridiculous that they haven't DFA'd him yet. 

He needs to consent to a DFA.  I'd be surprised if they haven't already asked and he refused ... I'm wondering now if both sides are playing chicken with his contract

3 hours ago, DCSaints_fan said:

He needs to consent to a DFA.  I'd be surprised if they haven't already asked and he refused ... I'm wondering now if both sides are playing chicken with his contract

Correct, after he clears waivers. He can just refuse the assignment and become a FA. They did a bit on it on PTI today

1 hour ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

Decent signing cause they need a starter and he can be traded in July. I imagine we won’t see the guy for a few weeks as he goes to extended spring training then maybe a minor league game or two.

11 hours ago, Hersh said:

Correct, after he clears waivers. He can just refuse the assignment and become a FA. They did a bit on it on PTI today

Decent signing cause they need a starter and he can be traded in July. I imagine we won’t see the guy for a few weeks as he goes to extended spring training then maybe a minor league game or two.

I don't know what we could get for a guy who was an FA 3 months prior that anyone could have signed.  Obviously it depends on his performance and who needs a pitcher down the stretch.  But I can't imagine getting much more than a couple fringe prospects.

That said, I really like this move.  I'm glad we picked him up.  

Edited by Spaceman Spiff

27 minutes ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

I don't know what we could get for a guy who was an FA 3 months prior that anyone could have signed.  Obviously it depends on his performance and who needs a pitcher down the stretch.  But I can't imagine getting much more than a couple fringe prospects.

That said, I really like this move.  I'm glad we picked him up.  

O's won't get much but if he's solid, there is a potential for low A type prospects. The more the merrier. Also, it gets Karns back in the bullpen and he could develop value there as a reliever to be traded. 

3 hours ago, Hersh said:

O's won't get much but if he's solid, there is a potential for low A type prospects. The more the merrier. Also, it gets Karns back in the bullpen and he could develop value there as a reliever to be traded. 

Yea, he’s a lottery ticket.

Or he eats up innings to help along a trade of Bundy/Cobb/Cash later. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TheDoyler23 said:

Castro just has to be better. Can throw it 98, but wants to get cute with his 80s leg-warmer shoes and a slider and poof. 

Were you listening to Palmer when that happened?

Those are sweet shoes. It was not surprising how right on Palmer was. For those that missed it, Palmer was saying that you can't throw the slider cause location has been iffy and the guy has been late on the fastball literally right before Castro throws the slider. It's kinda odd how the team doesn't seem to get that after all the years Palmer has been preaching it. 

7 hours ago, justice98 said:

I like how this team battles.  They keep games interesting.  

Same here but it's gonna be another 100-loss season and there will be many more games like this weekend (like Saturday where we lose a late lead in frustrating fashion, or today where we just straight up get our asses kicked).