Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Ye Auld 2019 Free Agency Tracker

Riggo-toni

12 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I don't think he said pay big.  But to your point, I agree on rare occasion they are willing to pay for a blue chipper.  Collins would fit that bill with some bonuses to it -- Roll Tide and also hurt the Giants. 

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2019/03/01/redskins-didnt-pursue-joe-flacco-will-meet-with-every-qb-combine-says-bruce-allen/?utm_term=.9ac4d8fd1087

"We rate the player, and then we put a value on that player’s talent. So we might find something at another position, a blue-chip player comes available, we will pay for that. We try to pay for the value no matter what the position is.”

But the way the Redskins typically roll in FA was summed up well by this quote,  I think they are willing to kick the tires on anything but they prefer the bargain basement drill in action -- at least most of the time.

https://washington.cbslocal.com/2018/01/24/jay-gruden-redskins-wanted-calais-campbell-in-2017/

“Like we addressed our defensive line, we tried to get Calais Campbell last year, but we ended up getting Stacy McGee and… Who was the other one?” Gruden said, reaching for McClain’s name. “Oh, yeah. McClain. So we got two guys for basically the price of one, or three for the price of one, so there’s other ways to attack it.”

I was paraphrasing Bruce, but yeah they'll pay market value for a blue chip player.  Which means a contract that is at least top 5 at the position they play, which means a big pay day.  They can say they've been in on those guys at the beginning of FA but they haven't landed any in March.  Norman and DJax fell in their laps later in the game.    Bruce likes the 2 for 1 deals in the main shopping season.

Gettleman could have done the Skins a solid by franchise tagging Collins and then recinding the tag next month.  Gettleman doesn't like paying top dollar to DBs even when he has really good ones.  

7 minutes ago, KDawg said:

Yeah, Jay, getting McGee and whatever that guy's name is really helped more than Campbell would have.

I agree with the sentiment, but a horrible example.

I entirely disagree with the sentiment, and this is exactly why. Signing young impact FA's when they are available massively upgrades a team. Signing a bunch of journeymen wasted cap on players that are replacement level. Those positions can usually be filled though the draft. Everyone on the board knew we would have been better off with Calais Campbell. Why didn't management?

Sign Collins and one other major FA. Fill in the depth chart with the draft. 

58 minutes ago, RWJ said:

They have over $100 mill to spend in FA.  Our advantage is that Collins loved our #21 and will he want to come to DC because of that and he could also play the Giants 2 x a year.  

I could maybe see that being a factor if all things were equal but he will go where the money is first and foremost, after that its which team is closer and then things like love for ST and getting to face his old team.  

Can/will the skins out bid the other teams?

8 minutes ago, drowland said:

I was paraphrasing Bruce, but yeah they'll pay market value for a blue chip player.  Which means a contract that is at least top 5 at the position they play, which means a big pay day.  They can say they've been in on those guys at the beginning of FA but they haven't landed any in March.  Norman and DJax fell in their laps later in the game.    Bruce likes the 2 for 1 deals in the main shopping season.

The main shopping season though is what we typically get.  It's rare to get the D-Jax, Norman stuff to go down.   And I've heard the "market value" thing explained once by Schaffer -- forgot how he said but it came off like they don't like to overpay for anyone including marquee players.  I got the impression that their view point is that marquee players in particular get overpaid and get paid more than THEIR view of market value.  I think it was on a Grant-Danny show where he got into once how they approach FA. 

Having said that I keep hearing they want to make a splash so maybe Keim is wrong and they throw out their typical FA model out the window. 

7 minutes ago, Anselmheifer said:

I entirely disagree with the sentiment, and this is exactly why. Signing young impact FA's when they are available massively upgrades a team. Signing a bunch of journeymen wasted cap on players that are replacement level. Those positions can usually be filled though the draft. Everyone on the board knew we would have been better off with Calais Campbell. Why didn't management?

Sign Collins and one other major FA. Fill in the depth chart with the draft. 

I agree 100% with this.  I think Kdawg was being sarcastic as to the Campbell example.  Unless I misread the post. 

1 minute ago, Idaho fan said:

I could maybe see that being a factor if all things were equal but he will go where the money is first and foremost, after that its which team is closer and then things like love for ST and getting to face his old team.  

Going to be tough Money vs. Love for Taylor and his old NFL team.

in his short career, Collins has been a 3x Pro Bowler so a team will have to pay for his services.  To me, it justifies the Skins paying up for him.  Again, Collins would be able to play against his old team 2x a year.  

1 hour ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Though two things that might help here are this:  I bet Dan/Bruce would love to stick it to the Giants.  And if they want to go nuts with the Alabama defense this would ratchet it up even more -- so I don't rule it out.  The politics so to speak for drafting Collins I think would be delicious for them.  So they might make an exception.

Gruden basically identified safety as our biggest need. Can't think the exact words, but he started with safety when discussing our needs. Massive need position, as you've said Alabama and sticking it to the Giants.

If we can throw a 4th for Clinton Dix in desperation, this is a no brainer. 

1 minute ago, UK SKINS FAN '74 said:

Gruden basically identified safety as our biggest need. Can't think the exact words, but he started with safety when discussing our needs. Massive need position, as you've said Alabama and sticking it to the Giants.

If we can throw a 4th for Clinton Dix in desperation, this is a no brainer. 

I am with you.  But I am a cynic in them being serious bidders typically for any top guy.  D line was identified as a top need for a few years in a row but they still didn't sign top guys in FA.  It's rare for them to dive into the deep end of the pool of FA.    But I agree there is some sexiness to this move and the FO-Dan? seem to be in the mood to make a move that has some marketing appeal in the mix. 

5 minutes ago, UK SKINS FAN '74 said:

Gettleman has bottled this one after falling on the sword over the Josh Norman situation in Carolina. Let's stick the boot in again here.

I agree.  My only point here is while it seems a no brainer to us -- I wonder if it does to them.  I'd bet money they kick the tires on it.  But outbidding other teams for a star name in FA -- that's a unicorn under Bruce so got my doubts they go that far.  But you never know.  Hope am wrong and they land him.  

My in-laws are mostly Giant fans, I'd especially enjoy sticking it to that team.  Be fun to do some ribbing. 😀

2 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

My in-laws are mostly Giant fans, I'd especially enjoy sticking it to that team.  Be fun to do some ribbing😀

I hope for your sake the Cards don't hold onto Rosen, and the Giants trade up for Murray :bye: 

6 minutes ago, UK SKINS FAN '74 said:

I hope for your sake the Cards don't hold onto Rosen, and the Giants trade up for Murray :bye: 

Yep and it has crossed my mind.  The Giants for their faults are a much more talked about team nationally than the Redskins because of their star power.  Imagine if they added Murray.  We'd hear about them nonstop.   I also think he'd take them to the playoffs.  Fortunately I keep hearing their fascination is Haskins who I like but not as sold on. 😀

4 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Yep and it has crossed my mind.  The Giants for their faults are a much more talked about team nationally than the Redskins because of their star power.  Imagine if they added Murray.  We'd hear about them nonstop.   I also think he'd take them to the playoffs.  Fortunately I keep hearing their fascination is Haskins who I like but not as sold on. 😀

Just like we learned with other teams who load up on star players at star positions, it doesn't mean squat if you don't have the big boys in the trenches on both sides of the ball. Murray behind that line will spend 90% of the game scrambling for his life.

The Colts with Andrew Luck (and his contract), made the playoffs last year and STILL have 100+ million in cap space. Meanwhile we're scrambling to figure out ways to open up money to sign free agents.

If we can grab Collins and somehow Mosely then grab Rosen for a draft pick (not 1st round), we can then potentially trade our 1st to recoup back the pick lost for Rosen and grab a 1st next year...giving us 2 picks in round one for 2020.

7 minutes ago, PartyPosse said:

Just like we learned with other teams who load up on star players at star positions, it doesn't mean squat if you don't have the big boys in the trenches on both sides of the ball. Murray behind that line will spend 90% of the game scrambling for his life.

Agree.  But they've been working on the O line.  Hernandez was a good pick last year.  From what I've read they plan to be aggressive this off season on that front.   Part of the reason why am reading Collins won't be resigned is Gettleman's obsession with the trenches.  Last year it was D line and O line in the draft -- I am betting they double down on it again.  i am not a fan of Gettleman but got no doubts he will try to upgrades both lines -- that seems to be his mantra.   For his faults, he did have a good draft IMO last year. 

34 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Agree.  But they've been working on the O line.  Hernandez was a good pick last year.  From what I've read they plan to be aggressive this off season on that front.   Part of the reason why am reading Collins won't be resigned is Gettleman's obsession with the trenches.  Last year it was D line and O line in the draft -- I am betting they double down on it again.  i am not a fan of Gettleman but got no doubts he will try to upgrades both lines -- that seems to be his mantra.   For his faults, he did have a good draft IMO last year. 

Sure, but up until last year they built an OL based around an immovable object named Eli. It's a vastly different beast trying to protect a mobile QB who moves around much more. 

11 minutes ago, PartyPosse said:

Sure, but up until last year they built an OL based around an immovable object named Eli. It's a vastly different beast trying to protect a mobile QB who moves around much more. 

Different style of blocking I agree.  I think Hernandez who they took last year is a future pro bowler.  Solder is just OK and they overpaid for him. 

Some would argue its easier to overcome a porous O line with a mobile QB.  Actually it was one of the arguments the beat guys kept saying about J. Johnson when he played after our O line got ravaged last year.

PFF had the Giants O line ranked 21st, we were 19th -- granted all the injuries had much to do with our mediocre ranking.   The Giants spent most of the early picks last year on D line or O line.   They have extra picks in this draft.  I'd like to think their O line will be bad for a long time but it might not go down that way. 

3 hours ago, Idaho fan said:

Hi all. You DO NOT WANT L Collins at big money. He CANNOT cover to save his a-s. He can't cover backs or tight ends. He is good at the los but other than that he is a waste. Do you think the nats are letting him go because he is great? Add the fact he has been on IR the last 2 yrs and has not finished both seasons.

3 hours ago, RWJ said:

in his short career, Collins has been a 3x Pro Bowler so a team will have to pay for his services.  To me, it justifies the Skins paying up for him.  Again, Collins would be able to play against his old team 2x a year.  

You do not want Collins for big money. He is good at the LOS but he sucks at coverage. Ask yourself, why would the nats let a Pro bowl player walk. Cheers

Guess we should remember that we only have a reported approx 16mil in cap space. In reality that means we've only got 8-10 we'd want to utilise now. Collins would easily eat away 2/3rds of that.

So, we simply have to make some roster/contract moves. I'd suggest at least two players on significant contracts will need to be moved on, either cut or traded, or we see a raft of contract restructures. 

Dont see how we can retain all of Norman,Reed, Z Brown, Davis, Kerrigan on their current money.

Archived