Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Washington Nationals Thread: The Future is Near!

Riggo#44

2 hours ago, Dan T. said:

You do not trade Trea Turner.  You re-sign him for whatever it takes.  He's a 20-20, .300 hitter playing the most important infield position. You rebuild your offense around him and Juan Soto.

I absolutely love Turner, say we sign him to $25-$30m/yr. After arbitrations next year, with 16 slots to fill, we'll be at about $140m in salaries already. How are we going to build around him. The rotation at that point would be Stras, Corbin, Ross, Fedde and? OF would probably be Soto, Robles, Schwarber. Second would be Garcia? Bell at 1st? Catcher would be Barrera? Closer would be Finnegan?

It's not out of the realm of possibility the smart move is to trade him, if the return is big enough.

• Like 1

The Strasburg news puts me firmly in the burn it down, trade everyone not named Soto. That's a crushing blow. No matter what happens, he is a Nats Legend. TOS ended the careers of Chris Carpenter, Josh Beckett among others. This is about the worst news.

• Like 1

Just now, Riggo#44 said:

The Strasburg news puts me firmly in the burn it down, trade everyone not named Soto. That's a crushing blow. No matter what happens, he is a Nats Legend. TOS ended the careers of Chris Carpenter, Josh Beckett among others. This is about the worst news.

Riggo, do you want to hold onto Soto, knowing that the most likely outcome is that he leaves in 3 years?  The chances of the Nats competing in 3 years is just not that high.  Especially without Trea as part of the equation.

5 minutes ago, bearrock said:

Riggo, do you want to hold onto Soto, knowing that the most likely outcome is that he leaves in 3 years?  The chances of the Nats competing in 3 years is just not that high.  Especially without Trea as part of the equation.

Three years is a long time. Plus there isn't anyone that can/will pony up what's necessary for Soto. 3 years we'll also be done with Corbin. We'll see.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, bearrock said:

I’d make him and his agent publicly turn down 13yrs/$400M before I consider shopping him.

• Like 2

Just now, Ball Security said:

I’d make him and his agent publicly turn down 13yrs/$400M before I consider shopping him.

I feel like Boras client should come with a negative consideration in drafts.  Chances are that as the team that drafted the player, you'll almost never get more than 6 years of major league service from the player.

8 minutes ago, Riggo#44 said:

Some teams straight won't draft Boras clients. Would you pass on having Max, Stras, Soto for any amount of time?

No.  That's why I wouldn't take a no draft stance.  But it is a negative factor.  Your time with them is very likely capped.  

It's also an odd situation where signing a Boras client becomes more expensive for the drafting team vs the FA team.  In order to lock them before testing FA, you have to pay them an amount that clearly would exceed as reasonable market value.  Whereas in FA, the player often moves onto another team for less than what it would've taken for extension or resign.

• Like 1

It's the right strategy for the players. You want a bidding war. The only real leverage the teams have is the threat of injury.

I just texted a couple of friends of mine that this might be the saddest week in Nats history...

1 hour ago, ixcuincle said:

Jesse Dougherty  @dougherty_jesse

Trea Turner is out of the game in Philadelphia. Not sure of the reason yet.

Twitter says he tested positive for COVID.  One more wheel falling off the wagon.

Jesse Dougherty on Twitter: "Trea Turner tested positive for coronavirus and was removed from tonight's game because of MLB protocols, the Nationals just announced." / Twitter

Edited by Dan T.