Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Washington Nationals Thread: The Future is Near!

Riggo#44

42 minutes ago, mammajamma said:

Gotta find a way to keep Zim and Bell starting at the same time, at least till Schwarb gets back.

Davey has been having Bell do drills out in LF pregame that past few nights. 

Won the series tonight, wonder if they give that idea a shot tommorow.

Edited by CRobi21
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Warhead36 said:

Once Ovie retires he's going to take the mantle as the king of D.C. sports and by the time his career ends will be joining him in the D.C. sports Mount Rushmore.

That's if the Lerners don't cheap out and offer him less than the highest price contract and Soto walks.

Washington Nationals general manager Mike Rizzo says he doesn't plan on having infielder Starlin Castro back with the team this season.

Castro was placed on administrative leave July 16 by Major League Baseball as it investigates a domestic violence accusation.

Rizzo, speaking with a group of reporters about a variety of issues prior to the Nationals' game against the Miami Marlins on Tuesday, didn't say if his statement on Castro was based on whether the process will play out in time or not.

"The process is the process,'' he said. "You asked the question, 'Do I plan on having Starlin Castro back' and I said I do not plan on having him back.''

55 minutes ago, Alcoholic Zebra said:

This team feels like it's so close to breaking out.

Need Stras and Schwarbs back healthy and producing like they can. Corbin to figure something out, maybe Cavalli to really break out. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, -JB- said:

I see Cavalli has struggled in AA with an ERA north of 5.00 hopefully he can turn things around.

I watched the Futures game. He throws a lot of balls out of the zone. Granted, he did have a unreal slider that should have been strike 3 to end the inning called a ball & ended up walking him. But he threw a lot of pitches while facing 5 batters - GO, BB, K, BB, K. And, yeah, I get he was on stage for a big game so he was tossing 99-100 about every fastball he threw. I'd like to see him pitch 4-5 innings to see what he's doing right & wrong. If he's working on some weaknesses or learning new pitches I wouldn't be concerned with his ERA.

I was seriously impressed with his demeanor in the Futures game. He took command from the 1st pitch, didn't get rattled after walking 2 & not getting the K call, pitched well from the stretch & K'd the last batter looking. Nasty slider. 

Edit: LOL...okay, I have to correct a few things from above...It was the 2-2 sinker that was impressive to Downs. The one the ump called a ball to Torkleson was even better - he froze him with a slider at the knees in the zone. The last batter missed a 99 mph fastball. 

"Cavalli then walked the Tigers’ Spencer Torkelson (last year’s No. 1 overall pick) before striking out the Red Sox’s Jeter Downs swinging on a 91 mph sinker on a 2-2 pitch. Twice in the at-bat, Downs fouled off 100 mph four-seam fastballs.

The Blue Jays’ Austin Martin walked when Cavalli couldn’t control his four-seamer, prompting a mound visit. Cavalli then fanned the Yankees’ Jasson Dominguez for the inning’s final out on a four-seamer that registered at 99 mph."

https://www.masnsports.com/nationals-pastime/2021/07/cavalli-flashes-some-heat-in-all-star-futures-game.html

Edited by EmirOfShmo
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 3

1 hour ago, CRobi21 said:

Ummm is Tres Barrera gonna stick around? Small sample but he been great with the bat.

Believe he was a Carolina League all star a couple years ago before his bull**** PED suspension followed by the canceled covid season. Glad he’s gotten back on track. 

10 hours ago, mammajamma said:

Of course our up and coming offense stalls against a AAA pitcher on one of the worst teams in the league

4 GIDPs that were ripped right at people, Marte saved 2 runs. Frustrating but it happens. ****ing Manfred Men. I loathe that rule.

• Like 2