Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Washington Nationals Thread: The Future is Near!

Riggo#44

1 minute ago, -JB- said:

Boras is his agent so you’re probably looking at paying him 500 million.  You tell me.

For him to get 500 million over 10-13, whatever, front offices would have to agree on that valuation being worth it (to justify that kind of a price tag, he would have to be Trout+).

This is such a ridiculous take.  So Angels call Rizzo and offers him Trout for free at his current contract.  He should turn it down?!?!  Cause you dont pay position players????  Omg....

5 minutes ago, bearrock said:

For him to get 500 million over 10-13, whatever, front offices would have to agree on that valuation being worth it (to justify that kind of a price tag, he would have to be Trout+).

This is such a ridiculous take.  So Angels call Rizzo and offers him Trout for free at his current contract.  He should turn it down?!?!  Cause you dont pay position players????  Omg....

I’m not saying don’t pay position players.  I’m saying it isn’t prudent to pay position players 300+ million.  I’m only saying 500 mill because his free agency is 5 years away and there’s no telling what guys will be getting by that point.

Edited by -JB-

31 minutes ago, bearrock said:

So let Soto walk when he hits free agency?  

If he gets offered $500+ Mil? And you still want to compete for championships? You might have to.

Megastars who make that kind of money don't win championships in MLB, unless they are Pitchers.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, bearrock said:

@Warhead36 @-JB- so both of you would turn down a free trade for Mike Trout from LA because there's some arbitrary amount that you can't pay position players?  

So I guess Rizzo was off his game when he offered Rendon 7/210, which still would have been top 10 historic contract for a position player?

That’s what I’m saying.  Yes.  *from Boswell WP*  The Lerners don’t want to be the Yankees, Red Sox, Dodgers or Cubs. Those four teams outdrew them at the gate by an average of 13,404 fans a game last year — almost 50 percent more — and at higher prices. They also have much higher regional sports network revenue.  

The Lerners have spent 15 seasons figuring out how to do good business financially, and win games consistently, in D.C. They just won the World Series. They value rationality and sustained competitiveness most. They look for players who will take a “hometown discount” or deferred money, or both, such as Scherzer, Zimmerman and Strasburg.

@-JB- You don't have to be the uber rich of the baseball world to spend.  I'm not talking about Yankees level spending, it's much much less.  

But all this talk of In Rizzo We Trust, Stras over Rendon, Let Soto Walk, Pass on Free Trade for Trout (????), all circles back to one thing: Lerners willingness to spend more.  If you don't see a need for them to spend more (especially when they make more), fine.  And if you accept that the Nats will only keep players on discounts, that's fine.  

I disagree and think that's a really bad way to run a franchise in a market that has a potential for lot more (oh btw.  The Nats that missed the playoff in 2018 drew 300k more than the 2019 Nats.  You can chalk that up to the bad start, but it's hard to imagine that losing a marquee draw had no effect.)

@bearrock Hard to argue that the way that the Lerner’s operate is a really bad way to run a franchise when they just won the WS.

And I’m not saying let Soto walk.  I’d hope they can ink a deal during his arbitration years but with Boras I just know if we can make that happen.  Obviously you do whatever you can to keep Soto.

Edited by -JB-

14 minutes ago, -JB- said:

@bearrock Hard to argue that the way that the Lerner’s operate is a really bad way to run a franchise when they just won the WS.

And I’m not saying let Soto walk.  I’d hope they can ink a deal during his arbitration years but with Boras I just know if we can make that happen.  Obviously you do whatever you can to keep Soto.

That's just circular logic.  If their past success gives them a pass on everything, then throwing in Robles to get Bryant makes sense too as long as the Lerners do it.  Also, they haven't been in this position to take advantage of post-WS bump, especially with the Skins in the dumpster.  Bad way was too strong a word, but I still think it is not the optimal way.

@bearrock They aren’t trading away Robles to get Bryant.  I don’t even know how the hell that rumor got started.   Come on now, that is ridiculous.  Some fans are too emotionally invested. Nats fans are fooling themselves thinking Rendon only left because Nats ownership didn’t approve going over the luxury tax.  He was leaving regardless.  At least that’s how I read it.  Sue me.

41 minutes ago, -JB- said:

@bearrock They aren’t trading away Robles to get Bryant.  I don’t even know how the hell that rumor got started.   Come on now, that is ridiculous.  Some fans are too emotionally invested. Nats fans are fooling themselves thinking Rendon only left because Nats ownership didn’t approve going over the luxury tax.  He was leaving regardless.  At least that’s how I read it.  Sue me.

I guess that's on me for trying to have a discussion with someone who wouldn't take Mike Trout's contract for free.  Feel free to read it how you want.  It's probably nicer to believe the Nats can do no wrong anyway.

Edited by bearrock

21 minutes ago, bearrock said:

I guess that's on me for trying to have a discussion with someone who wouldn't take Mike Trout's contract for free.  Feel free to read it how you want.  It's probably nicer to believe the Nats can't do no wrong anyway.

The proof is in the pudding.  It’s flat out dumb to pay guys that much $$ The Angels were TRASH last season and adding Rendon does nothing to fix that TRASH pitching staff.  But at least you get to watch him play baseball!  Such a dumb hypothetical anyway.  What if Trout is just given up for free lolol

Edited by -JB-

1 hour ago, -JB- said:

That’s what I’m saying.  Yes.  *from Boswell WP*  The Lerners don’t want to be the Yankees, Red Sox, Dodgers or Cubs. Those four teams outdrew them at the gate by an average of 13,404 fans a game last year — almost 50 percent more — and at higher prices. They also have much higher regional sports network revenue.  

Houston and Boston both exceed the CBT regularly and are in media markets almost exactly the same size as DC. 2019 was a down year for Nats attendance, probably because they let Harper walk, but in 2018, Houston, Boston and DC were 8, 9 and 11 in attendance, respectively.  Old man Lerner is worth like 6 billion dollars. There is no reason the Lerners couldn’t spend the money, they just don’t want to. I mean, I think the Lerners are good owners, but what good is 6 billion dollars to a 94 year old man?  He wouldn’t notice if he had a billion less dollars, much less $20 million. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, PleaseBlitz said:

I mean, I think the Lerners are good owners, but what good is 6 billion dollars to a 94 year old man?  He wouldn’t notice if he had a billion less dollars, much less $20 million. 

But can we say this for sure PB?  I think you and I need to volunteer to be guinea pig billionaires.  For science.

• Haha 1

Also, in case it isn't already obvious, you win championships by drafting well and filling gaps with sensible free agent pickups. You don't blow $400 million on one player to cover up the fact that you haven't drafted another decent player in years. The Angels aren't winning a damn thing the way their team is constructed. 

Rookie contracts on studs paired with timely free agent pickups is what gets the job done. Ask the Cubs. Ask the Giants. Ask the Astros if you believe they got there because of their roster. If the time came and we had to pay $110 million for Strasburg, Rendon and Soto every season, we wouldn't have any depth, and depth is what got us our championship. 

Edited by Bacon
  • Like 2

53 minutes ago, PleaseBlitz said:

Houston and Boston both exceed the CBT regularly and are in media markets almost exactly the same size as DC. 2019 was a down year for Nats attendance, probably because they let Harper walk, but in 2018, Houston, Boston and DC were 8, 9 and 11 in attendance, respectively.  Old man Lerner is worth like 6 billion dollars. There is no reason the Lerners couldn’t spend the money, they just don’t want to. I mean, I think the Lerners are good owners, but what good is 6 billion dollars to a 94 year old man?  He wouldn’t notice if he had a billion less dollars, much less $20 million. 

Houston bottomed out, 3 straight 100 loss seasons, drafted well, made some good free agent acquisitions that weren’t insane, made some trades and got a ring.  Same could be said about Nats & Red Sox.  It’s not that you never spend money, it’s HOW you spend your $$ All 3 teams have won the WS in the last 3 seasons obviously.  If you want to compare the three organizations that’s fine.  None of them are just shelling out ridiculous deals for position players.

2 hours ago, bearrock said:

@-JB- You don't have to be the uber rich of the baseball world to spend.  I'm not talking about Yankees level spending, it's much much less.  

But all this talk of In Rizzo We Trust, Stras over Rendon, Let Soto Walk, Pass on Free Trade for Trout (????), all circles back to one thing: Lerners willingness to spend more.  If you don't see a need for them to spend more (especially when they make more), fine.  And if you accept that the Nats will only keep players on discounts, that's fine.  

I disagree and think that's a really bad way to run a franchise in a market that has a potential for lot more (oh btw.  The Nats that missed the playoff in 2018 drew 300k more than the 2019 Nats.  You can chalk that up to the bad start, but it's hard to imagine that losing a marquee draw had no effect.)

Ok so...

Win World Series.

Rizzo wins 2nd Exec of the Year

One of the consistently winningest franchises in baseball over the last 7 years.

Signed Strasburg to a huge contract

Outbid everyone for Corbin last year

Consistently one of the highest payrolls

While Red Sox, Astros, Cubs are all crying poor and looking to shed salary. Cole is the Yankees 1st big contract they've signed in how long?

What part isn't working for you?

• Thanks 1