Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

NBCSports: Foster says **** this team and the fanbase

RichmondRedskin88

7 hours ago, hatchetwound said:

This concerns me... are we a bad fanbase?   I mean, we arn't bandwagoners like the Cowboys nor violent jerks like the Eagles, but we now have multiple players calling us out.  I try to be positive and support the team, but this really is demoralizing :(

The Redskins fan base as a whole is very much a bandwagon fan base. It's why there are so many empty seats. It's why there are so many fans who say they will refuse to go. But then when the team starts winning, the stadium is full, there is a buzz around town, and this message board is overwhelmed. I don't blame any individual fan for their decision to not go to a game, not watch, etc. Each of us has to make that choice ourselves and many choose to spend their time doing something else on Sundays. But collectively as a fan base, Redskins fans are just bad bandwagon fans. 

Having said that, I always think it's stupid for players to call out fans or say something negative about them collectively. These are the people that are paying your salary. I'm not saying players have to cater to fans in ever way possible, but calling out the people whose money goes to pay your salary is never a good idea. 

16 minutes ago, Redskin4ever said:

Having said that, I always think it's stupid for players to call out fans or say something negative about them collectively. These are the people that are paying your salary. I'm not saying players have to cater to fans in ever way possible, but calling out the people whose money goes to pay your salary is never a good idea

Interesting, but I think the private message part plays a lot in this. It. This wasn't a Josh Norman press conference saying this. Supposedly he got his message windows mixed up, and I know as a guy who did a lot of talking on AIM, that's such an easy thing to do.

But even if that's not the story, it's one thing for him to verbally say this, but basically we can't have an atmosphere where even thinking negative thoughts is a crime. Fans have been very critical of him, partly justified and partly not so  (and i bet that in his mind, even less so because he can probably explain himself).

And i wonder how many fans contact him, how much is praise, vs criticism, vs possible threats, did you see the video of the Rams player? Remember the NBA fight with MetaWorldPeace? Fans take stuff too far all the time, and expecting players to not have emotions is not human. 

Not excusing him, just saying it's not all on him, but also in us as fans. 

17 hours ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

Ultimately, the fans and media follow the lead of the team.  The toxicity trickles down.  Folks love to pound our local media, but my god- they are so much softer than most even realize.

The team has been the definition of mediocre for 4 straight seasons, yet the tone is that of an organization who hasn't won a game in years. The two don't align and it was one of the things I talked a lot about when I first joined.

I want Smith and Schaeffer to be promoted because we appear to be maxed out at mediocrity. We all want and expect better than that.

But the fanbase and media is indeed toxic. You think the players fighting their guts out with a two game division lead like to come home to a half empty stadium against the Texans? If the Bills were 6-3 Buffalo would be rockin. Same with the Browns. Those are two teams with WORSE track records than the Redskins since Snyder took over.

The fanbase on the whole stinks. Make up any excuse in the book you'd like but they sure as hell aren't die hard. I used to think growing up we were one of the best fan bases but in reality I think it was an entire generation who was spoiled with greatness in the 80's clinging on to the glory years. Now that those are way in the rear-view, fan base has moved on.

4 minutes ago, HardcoreZorn said:

The team has been the definition of mediocre for 4 straight seasons, yet the tone is that of an organization who hasn't won a game in years. The two don't align and it was one of the things I talked a lot about when I first joined.

I want Smith and Schaeffer to be promoted because we appear to be maxed out at mediocrity. We all want and expect better than that.

But the fanbase and media is indeed toxic. You think the players fighting their guts out with a two game division lead like to come home to a half empty stadium against the Texans? If the Bills were 6-3 Buffalo would be rockin. Same with the Browns. Those are two teams with WORSE track records than the Redskins since Snyder took over.

The fanbase on the whole stinks. Make up any excuse in the book you'd like but they sure as hell aren't die hard. I used to think growing up we were one of the best fan bases but in reality I think it was an entire generation who was spoiled with greatness in the 80's clinging on to the glory years. Now that those are way in the rear-view, fan base has moved on.

Mrs. Skinfan and I haven't moved in. We're diehards.

7 minutes ago, Skinsfan1311 said:

Mrs. Skinfan and I haven't moved in. We're diehards.

On the whole being the operative words.

But the tone of the fan base and results on the field do not align. It's no wonder Josh and Mason have said some things, I'd be feeling the same way too if I were them.

2 hours ago, HardcoreZorn said:

I think a primary difference between the Browns and Bills vs. the Redskins is the level of arrogance in which they operate.  A lot of the fans here are tired of losing yes, but most of the STH I talk to, simply detest the guy selling them tickets.  They don’t like how we operate, how we come off publicly, etc.  It’s about more than losing, it’s the whole package.  If you can’t see that this fanbase is desperate to want to love this team I don’t know what to tell you.  Go look at 2012 and RG3 mania, my god the place was packed, the chants were loud, etc.  What this fanbase needs is something to believe in.  I think the premature crowning is over with here.  It’s part of the reason nobody really cared about 5-2.  The other part of it is they watched the games and saw it was fool’s gold like most of the folks that don’t post here did.

38 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

I think a primary difference between the Browns and Bills vs. the Redskins is the level of arrogance in which they operate.  A lot of the fans here are tired of losing yes, but most of the STH I talk to, simply detest the guy selling them tickets.  They don’t like how we operate, how we come off publicly, etc.  It’s about more than losing, it’s the whole package.  If you can’t see that this fanbase is desperate to want to love this team I don’t know what to tell you.  Go look at 2012 and RG3 mania, my god the place was packed, the chants were loud, etc.  What this fanbase needs is something to believe in.  I think the premature crowning is over with here.  It’s part of the reason nobody really cared about 5-2.  The other part of it is they watched the games and saw it was fool’s gold like most of the folks that don’t post here did.

It's a major point I think.  When the Redskins won in the 80s they did it with a certain style - Beathard and Gibbs personified class and competence.   Cooke wasn't an angel but also was relatively hands off and known for his competence and it wasn't his first rodeo running a franchise.  Gibbs-Beathard were known for being special at what they do while also having a nice humility about them.  They were cool to root for.  Dan and Bruce cool to root for?  It's about apples to oranges as it gets. 

The Dan-Vinny-Bruce era has been mostly incompetent but also slimy.   You don't think of slimy when it comes to the Bills.   The Browns are probably the closest team to test that marker but they've been through ownership changes over the years and right now the Browns are doing what many of us dream of that's never happened here -- hire a top flight GM and stay out of their way.  The Browns previous attempt at fixing personnel had the right spirit behind it -- hiring those analytics guys but it didn't work out.  So they are at least swinging the bat at trying to find the best people to run personnel. 

But to the point of bad fans, it wouldn't be anyone here.  We all care but show it in different ways.  As for fans booing -- that happens in almost every stadium when the team plays poorly.   As for fans not showing up -- I think there are multiple reasons for that and I'd presume that's what bothered Norman the most.   I was at the game that he praised the Tampa one as for fan support.  That game was the reverse of Fed Ex field -- Tampa didn't sell out and the stadium was swallowed up by Redskins fans and at the end of the game it was insane how lopsided it felt because so many Tampa fans took off. 

Some (like me) think the best way to show if you love a team is to create some noise to get some change and feel the fans who have the FO's back through thick and thin if anything are in theory enablers to that bad behavior.  Then we got some FO supporters who like to make the point that having the back of the FO shows you support them and by extension the team and thereby they are the better fans.   I haven't seen that argument lately but I've seen it before.  I think either view point is subjective and its about whatever rocks your boat but one way or another if we are spending all the time we do on the subject -- none of us here are part of the problem of fan apathy.  

Sports marketers will always say the enemy to a team's future as for fan support isn't vocal unrest but apathy.  And apathy clearly is a growing issue with the fan base. 

Didn't have a big interest in watching last night's game, but tuned in for the last quarter. Panthers have had more recent success than us, including the SB appearance a few seasons ago, but were on a five-game losing streak. Still, tuned into see what appeared to be a packed house in a stadium which opened around the same time as FedEx, but hasn't been disfigured like ours has. Depressing.

Archived