Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

NY Times: Miscarrying at Work - The Physical Toll of Pregnancy Discrimination

Bozo the kKklown

@thegreaterbuzzette you might want to check that in-state tuition thing for North Carolina.  I just checked Chapel Hill and one of the community colleges in coastal carolina, for full-time classes, that doesn't look accurate, not even close.  College costs too much right now.  I'm fine with paying it back, some people know they will never be able to.  I stopped making payments because the interests was just eating right through it, I'll come back to it after I'm making more since I don't have to while I'm in school again.

Expensive doesn't equal Quality, but right now Quality is expensive, too damn expensive.

34 minutes ago, thegreaterbuzzette said:

You really don't need the shiny, glossy name on the piece of paper that says you served your dues in higher ed. Company's just want to see that you put forth the effort to immerse yourself in your field. 

For a lot of programs in the science and tech sector, your school absolutely matters. There is a world of difference between an engineering student from MIT and Carnegie Mellon versus your average student graduating from Virginia Commonwealth University and Old Dominion. 

Even with aid, these schools are expensive. We need people graduating from a school like Carnegie Mellon with computer science degrees. Right now, the tuition AFTER aid for  one year for a comp sci degree at Carnegie is 40K per year.

The point is that a lot of expensive programs and schools offer training services that are needed to support vital industries. Right now the system makes the wealthy wealthier and keeps plenty of young lower to middle class students saddled with debt despite them contributing significantly to the economy with high quality work. 

You see this reflected in the housing market. Rates of new home ownership are awful for the millennial middle class because almost all of them have too much student loan debt. 

19 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

@thegreaterbuzzette you might want to check that in-state tuition thing for North Carolina.  I just checked Chapel Hill and one of the community colleges in coastal carolina, for full-time classes, that doesn't look accurate, not even close.  College costs too much right now.  I'm fine with paying it back, some people know they will never be able to.  I stopped making payments because the interests was just eating right through it, I'll come back to it after I'm making more since I don't have to while I'm in school again.

Expensive doesn't equal Quality, but right now Quality is expensive, too damn expensive.

It's for 3 of their schools

https://www.northcarolina.edu/wepromise#tplan 

7 minutes ago, thegreaterbuzzette said:

It's for 3 of their schools

https://www.northcarolina.edu/wepromise#tplan 

I see.  Read your post as all NC schools.  That's 3 schools in one state out of 50 states and only concerns tuition.  If anything, this proves our point that this is what we should be doing in bringing the prices back down again. 

UNC Pembrook has a computer science major, three of them.  But they don't have one in Cybersecurity like my bachelors is in, and taking what they offer, like health insurance for a little over $2k brings the overall price for each year to about $15k for in-state.  I'd rather work then pay that much for food, but should I have to make that choice?  I respect anyone that can find a way to pay for it while they are in there (that's damn near impossible for people coming out of high school now), should they have to work while in college in order to afford food?

Feel like we're getting off topic here again.  This thread is about worker rights, college plays a part in being able to get a better job so you supposedly have more options regarding employers so you can get better benefits.  Does that mean everyone that doesn't go to college should have to deal with what's being talked about in that article?  If they had just applied themselves for a better job they wouldn't have that problem?  Not everyone is going to be a doctor or an engineer, what about everyone else?  And no, asking for more rights is not the same as asking for more pay, so if we can avoid going down that rabbit hole, that'd be great.

1 hour ago, Renegade7 said:

Did you confuse UNC Pembroke with UNC Chapel Hill?  

Edit:  just read your response, should have finished reading all the posts before I responded.  My bad man.

Again, this is severely off topic. I'm happy to point out the flaws in your arguement if you want to jump to/create a Tuition Cost forum.

Workers have rights. Unfortunately they don't know them. I really wish the women in the article had the support and knowledge of where to go for help. At least there is exposure now to help those in the future. Instead of throwing more laws at something, let's enforce the ones we have. And with enforcement - means we the people, using them too.

And before you all want to say there aren't appropriate laws.....this is what I do for a living.....the statement in the article about non existant federal regulation is very misleading.

20 hours ago, Renegade7 said:

the birthrate in this country is hovering around replacement rate.

I was a bit upset that you never answered my question regarding this.  Then I realized it didn't post.:(

Why is this a bad thing?  Don't we have enough people?  I could understand why we don't want population size to drop sharply.  But maintaining instead of growing our current numbers seems like a good thing.

Honestly asking.  I'm not an expert in demograpgy.

1 hour ago, TheGreatBuzz said:

I was a bit upset that you never answered my question regarding this.  Then I realized it didn't post.:(

Why is this a bad thing?  Don't we have enough people?  I could understand why we don't want population size to drop sharply.  But maintaining instead of growing our current numbers seems like a good thing.

Honestly asking.  I'm not an expert in demograpgy.

Historically, you’ve needed steady population growth to support a growing economy and also to support welfare programs for the elederly who drop out of the labor pool. This is where immigration policy comes in too (Japan for instance is increasingly opening its border to foreign workers due to declining birth rates, to keep its economy growing). 

Right now, the declining birth rate in the US seems like a big problem for supporting our increasingly aging population. Ultimately, I don’t think it’s such a big problem, because it has a solution. There are plenty of people around the world who want to come, live and work in America. A liberal immigration policy can take care of the birth rate issue.

2 hours ago, thegreaterbuzzette said:

the statement in the article about non existant federal regulation is very misleading.

The article didn't say that. Did you read the entire article?

But refusing to accommodate pregnant women is often completely legal. Under federal law, companies don’t necessarily have to adjust pregnant women’s jobs, even when lighter work is available and their doctors send letters urging a reprieve.

The Pregnancy Discrimination Act is the only federal law aimed at protecting expecting mothers at work. It is four paragraphs long and 40 years old. It says that a company has to accommodate pregnant workers’ requests only if it is already doing so for other employees who are “similar in their ability or inability to work.”

That means that companies that do not give anyone a break have no obligation to do so for pregnant women. Employees say that is how the warehouse’s current owner, XPO Logistics, operates.

25 minutes ago, No Excuses said:

Historically, you’ve needed steady population growth to support a growing economy and also to support welfare programs for the elederly who drop out of the labor pool. This is where immigration policy comes in too (Japan for instance is increasingly opening its border to foreign workers due to declining birth rates, to keep its economy growing). 

Right now, the declining birth rate in the US seems like a big problem for supporting our increasingly aging population. Ultimately, I don’t think it’s such a big problem, because it has a solution. There are plenty of people around the world who want to come, live and work in America. A liberal immigration policy can take care of the birth rate issue.

Okay, so where is the tipping point?  Whether nationally or globally there has to be a point where there is the right number of people.  A balance to to support the old people yet have enough resources (land, food, etc) to support the population size.

Personally,  it seems to me we have enough people around.  But that could be because I generally don't like people.

2 minutes ago, TheGreatBuzz said:

Okay, so where is the tipping point?  Whether nationally or globally there has to be a point where there is the right number of people.  A balance to to support the old people yet have enough resources (land, food, etc) to support the population size.

This is the replacement rate. The CDC estimates that the replacement rate for the US is ~2100 births per 1000 women. Right now, the birth rate in the US is around ~1700 per 1000 women and steadily declining each year.

16 minutes ago, TheGreatBuzz said:

Personally,  it seems to me we have enough people around.  But that could be because I generally don't like people.

Lol...love this, and feel its accurate. Overpopulation is a problem anyways...

#TeamThanos 😉

21 minutes ago, TheGreatBuzz said:

We have two choice as a species: either accept that our overall population is going to keep growing and figure out how to support it or let our civilization collapse because that sounds too hard. 

It's the difference between talking about being a space faring species that can teraform planets like Mars to help with our growing population or just accept that billions of us are going to die despite seeing it coming.  We aren't the dinosaurs, we can see and stop the asteroid if we want to.

Right now its a choice, so much is in our court right now versus our hand being forced and we are just blowing it.

9 minutes ago, Xameil said:

Lol...love this, and feel its accurate. Overpopulation is a problem anyways...

#TeamThanos 😉

What makes you think you won't get snapped?

37 minutes ago, BenningRoadSkin said:

The article didn't say that. Did you read the entire article?

Yes, twice. 

Let me rephrase -  the part in the article that indicates Federal regulations are practically non-existent and not updated in 40 years is misleading. 

I love it when people argue semantics and not the actual points outlined. 

Overpopulation is basically Bill Gates/Super wealthy person talking point that needs to stop.

We aren't overpopulated. Our issue is that we need to get off fossil fuel.

(this thread has veered wildly off topic)

1 minute ago, thegreaterbuzzette said:

Yes, twice. 

Let me rephrase -  the part in the article that indicates Federal regulations are practically non-existent and not updated in 40 years is misleading. 

I love it when people argue semantics and not the actual points outlined. 

So then what are the current legal solutions?

What could those women have done?

1 minute ago, BenningRoadSkin said:

(this thread has veered wildly off topic)

Department of Labor is happy to hear any of these complaints. And yes they take these very seriously, full investigation. And they lean liberal and for the employee.

There services are free. 

States and local jurisdictions also have free centers. 

Reporting to the media is free. 

And with a strong enough case, an employment lawyer would take pro bono, especially against a large company. 

But then again, I'm solutions minded...

1 minute ago, Renegade7 said:

Death is permanent, sure you really want to be that nonchalant about that one?

I find it funny you are pursuing a posting about a fictional purple character snapping his fingers...and my post about #TeamThanos. You do realize he also had the potential to do bye bye too..right?

I guess after the big snap he decided to take on a different identity and go back in time to kill the mutant that killed his family...and prevent mass murders?

Would you be in more support if I said #TeamCable?

😉

3 minutes ago, Xameil said:

I find it funny you are pursuing a posting about a fictional purple character snapping his fingers...and my post about #TeamThanos. You do realize he also had the potential to do bye bye too..right?

I guess after the big snap he decided to take on a different identity and go back in time to kill the mutant that killed his family...and prevent mass murders?

Would you be in more support if I said #TeamCable?

😉

You are attempting to be funny, so I'm gonna support you doing that : )

1 hour ago, BenningRoadSkin said:

What could those women have done?

It depends on the work place and what they do for people suffering from disabilities that are somewhat similar, but the EEOC will sue employers and force them to change their behavior if they are treating pregnant people differently than people with a disability with similar affects.

e.g.

https://www.eeoc.gov/eeoc/newsroom/release/9-21-18a.cfm

This is a case where government needs to probably be more pro-active and more needs to be done to inform the public, but I am not sure this is a case where we need new laws vs. just actually making sure the laws we have are actively enforced (which requires a large enough government to carry out that enforcement and an educated public to have some idea of the laws).

(Though, Republicans are purposely making it very hard for the EEOC do its (legal) job:

https://medium.com/@treasurelife999/nixon-employed-2-416-eeoc-employees-in-1974-vs-trump-employed-only-2-082-eeoc-employees-in-2017-a272ffe5d921)

4 hours ago, thegreaterbuzzette said:

Again, this is severely off topic. I'm happy to point out the flaws in your arguement if you want to jump to/create a Tuition Cost forum.

You should just make your own hornets nest, I mean, thread : )

I'll have papers to do tonight, but I will respond.  I see you poking a lot of holes in that topic, i like to see you lay what you think the problem and solution is, do a poll, and see the responses you get.  

4 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

You should just make your own hornets nest, I mean, thread : )

I'll have papers to do tonight, but I will respond.  I see you poking a lot of holes in that topic, i like to see you lay what you think the problem and solution is, do a poll, and see the responses you get.  

Nah, I'm not the one making the claims. I know my truth. I got other things to spend time on then trying to change the mindset of those most likely not actually open for other views. 

51 minutes ago, thegreaterbuzzette said:

Department of Labor is happy to hear any of these complaints. And yes they take these very seriously, full investigation. And they lean liberal and for the employee.

There services are free. 

States and local jurisdictions also have free centers. 

Reporting to the media is free. 

And with a strong enough case, an employment lawyer would take pro bono, especially against a large company. 

But then again, I'm solutions minded...

This was reported to the media. (Hence the article)

I feel you on Department of Labor, but a lot of companies are not proactive in informing people of their rights. You can say, “look on your own,” but how realistic is that? I would wager a lot of people here haven’t read their own employee handbooks at their jobs.

Archived