Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Audi Field to Host Washington DC Defenders XFL Team in 2020

Ron78

What Will You Do To Support the XFL Franchise in DC?  

55 members have voted

1. 1. What Will You Do To Support the XFL Franchise in DC?

• Attend games at Audi Field
    • Watch games at home or in sports bars
    • I will not support this team

Update 1/27/20:  The DC Defenders have finalized their final 52-man roster.

https://www.sportingnews.com/us/nfl/news/xfl-rosters-2020-here-are-the-52-man-rosters-for-all-eight-teams/gdlifutwxnsv1x41iejvex9h1

D.C. Defenders roster

No. Name Pos. Ht. Wt. College
1 Thompkins, DeAndre WR 5'11" 187 Penn State
2 Rausa, Ty K 5'9" 189 Boise State
3 Jackson, Tyree QB 6'7" 250 Buffalo
4 Rogers, Eli WR 5'11" 176 Louisville
7 Niswander, Hunter P 6'5" 230 Northwestern
9 Rowell, Jalen WR 6'4"   Air Force
10 Cobbs, Simmie WR 6'3" 220 Indiana
12 Jones, Cardale QB 6'5" 264 Ohio State
15 Ross, Rashad WR 6'0" 180 Arizona State
16 Palka, Tyler WR 6'0" 197 Gannon
19 Dupre, Malachi WR 6'4" 195 LSU
20 Merritt, Carlos S 6'0" 190 Campbell
21 Grant, Doran CB 5'10" 195 Ohio State
22 Elam, Matt S 5'10" 205 Florida
23 Myrick, Jalen CB 5'10" 201 Minnesota
24 Pumphrey, Donnel RB 5'8" 178 San Diego State
25 Lawrence, Desmond CB 5'11" 187 North Carolina
26 Pressley, Jhurell RB 5'10" 209 New Mexico
28 Campbell, Elijah CB 5'11" 192 Northern Iowa
29 Kinnel, Tyree S 5'11" 210 Michigan
30 Sylve, Bradley CB 6'0" 172 Alabama
31 Brossette, Nick RB 5'11" 210 LSU
32 Abdullah, Khalid RB 5'9" 226 James Madison
38 Thomas, Shamarko S 5'9" 205 Syracuse
42 Khoury, Brian DE 6'3" 238 Carnegie Mellon
51 Johnson, Dorian OG 6'5" 291 Pittsburgh
52 Celestin, Jonathan LB 6'0" 227 Minnesota
53 Thurman, Jameer LB 6'0" 223 Indiana State
54 Massaquoi, Jonathan LB 6'2" 265 Troy
55 Williams, Antwione LB 6'3" 245 Georgia Southern
56 Freeman, KeShun DE 6'2" 259 Georgia Tech
58 Wright, Scooby LB 6'0" 228 Arizona
59 Tarpley, A.J. LB 6'2" 225 Stanford
64 Toth, Jon OC 6'5" 298 Kentucky
69 Boozer, Cole OT 6'5" 306 Temple
72 Tuley-Tillman, Logan OT 6'6" 308 Texas-El Paso
74 Cook, Rishard OG 6'3" 364 UAB
75 Brown, Chris OG 6'4" 315 Southern California
77 O'Hagan, James OC 6'2" 299 Buffalo
78 Bunche, Malcolm OT 6'6" 326 UCLA
79 Wesley, De'Ondre OT 6'6" 320 Brigham Young
80 Ernsberger, Donnie TE 6'3" 241 Western Michigan
85 Hayward, Derrick TE 6'5" 260 Maryland
86 Lee, Khari TE 6'4" 255 Bowie State
90 Anau, Siupeli DT 6'2" 286 Northern Arizona
91 Barnes, Tavaris DE 6'4" 267 Clemson
92 Qualls, Elijah DT 6'1" 337 Washington
93 Sprinkle, Tracy DT 6'2" 287 Ohio State
94 Vakameilalo, Kalani DT 6'3" 322 Oregon State
95 Bigelow, Kenny DT 6'3" 308 West Virginia
96 Bromley, Jay DT 6'3" 297 Syracuse
99 Montgomery, Sam DE 6'3" 248 LSU

Update 1/14/20:  The first XFL promotional commercial aired during the NFL playoffs.

Update 1/7/20: XFL official rule changes have been announced.

https://www.espn.com/espn/story/_/id/28438441/xfl-rule-changes-focus-faster-pace-more-excitement

• A kickoff designed to discourage touchbacks and increase the likelihood of a return: The ball will be kicked off from the 30-yard line, but the coverage and blocking teams will line up at the receiving team's 35- and 30-yard lines, respectively. Only the kicker and returner can move until the ball is caught, or three seconds after it hits the ground. A touchback will be spotted at the 35-yard line. Kicks out of bounds will go to the 45-yard line.

• Players can't leave the line of scrimmage on punts until after the kick. Any kicks that go into the end zone or out of bounds will be marked at the 35-yard line or wherever the ball went out of bounds, whichever is better for the receiving team. The idea is to discourage fair catches and "coffin corner" kicks, while providing more incentive to go for it on fourth down.

• Three options after scoring a touchdown: a 1-point play from the 2-yard line, a 2-point play from the 3-yard line or a 3-point play from the 10-yard line. There is no option to kick an extra point.

• A shootout-style overtime: Each team will get five single-play possessions from the 5-yard line. If the game is still tied at that point, the rotating possessions will continue until there is a winner. The XFL hopes that overtimes will be rare, in part because of the multiple options for points after touchdowns.

• A rule that allows two forward passes on one play, providing the first doesn't go past the line of scrimmage. The purpose is to encourage creative trick plays without the risk of losing possession of a lateral or backward pass, which is a live ball if it hits the ground.

• A requirement for only one foot to be in bounds for possession. XFL director of football operations Sam Schwartzstein said the change is easier to officiate quickly. It also is better for player safety, Schwartzstein said, because players take more unbraced falls while trying to place both feet in bounds.

• A total of nine officials on the field, one of whom will be dedicated solely to spotting the ball to minimize downtime between plays. XFL head of officiating Dean Blandino said most XFL officials have experience at the Division I college level. Blandino, the former NFL officiating chief, has been consulting with the XFL for more than a year. He performed a similar function for the Alliance of American Football (AAF) last spring.

• A video official who can intervene on significant non-reviewable plays when involving player safety, or on any calls inside of five minutes remaining in the fourth quarter. There will also be booth-initiated reviews of traditionally reviewable plays using Hawk-Eye technology that ingests video directly from the broadcast truck.

• Allowing offensive linemen to be up to 2 yards downfield when a pass is thrown, with the hope of minimizing flags on run-pass option plays.

• A series of tweaks that the XFL hopes will cap game times at 2 hours, 45 minutes. (NFL games typically run about 3:06.) The tweaks include a running game clock that won't stop after incomplete passes or when players go out of bounds, except inside of two minutes in each half. Additionally, there will be a 10-minute halftime, two timeouts per team per half and no coin tosses. The home team will always make the choice to kick, receive or defer to start the game. The visitors will make that choice to start overtime.

Update 12/3/19: Uniforms have been released.

77376549_577434399706678_648915173402214

78118199_577434379706680_840290878939673

78361422_577434389706679_562635016354398

78698686_577434446373340_317053932598932

Update 10/22/19: The full game schedule has been released.

No photo description available.

UPDATE 10/15/19: Results of first day of XFL draft - 

UPDATE:  Team names/branding will be announced on Wednesday, August 21st at 12:30 PM.

Audi Field will be hosting a team in the rebooted XFL in 2020.  Will you have any interest in this team?

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2018/11/30/xfl-relaunch-include-washington-franchise-audi-field/

The XFL plans to include a franchise in Washington when it relaunches in 2020, according to a person familiar with the process. The new professional football team will play its home games at Audi Field, sharing the stadium with D.C. United for at least part of the year.

https://www.facebook.com/DCAreaXFLFans/

Edited by Ron78

I went to Audi Field for 2 United games this year. It's a nice spot. First game was Rooney's 1st goal. 2nd was towards the end of the year when they were really hot. 

The fans for the United are hardcore. 

Anyway, XFL. Whatever. If they can make it work as a league good for them. Might be worth seeing something there eventually. 

• Like 1

I went to one Audi Field game and that was the playoff game. 

It's a good arena. It holds around 20000. 

Will be curious to see how this franchise does. There's already a AFL team here. They won the title last summer.

Edited by ixcuincle

5 hours ago, ixcuincle said:

I went to one Audi Field game and that was the playoff game. 

It's a good arena. It holds around 20000. 

Will be curious to see how this franchise does. There's already a AFL team here. They won the title last summer.

r

Audi field is a pretty nice stadium.  There is no tailgating allowed there though, so I would have preferred they did a few renovations at RFK and played there.  Plenty of wide open parking there.  

The AFL Wasington, DC team is pitiful.  I think they won only 3 games in the regular season.  Because there were only 4 teams in the AFL last season, all teams were in the playoffs and somehow DC pulled it off.  

4 hours ago, Dont Taze Me Bro said:

Already an XFL thread.....

This isn't a general XFL thread.  It's Washington, DC specific XFL thread.  Yours also does not have a poll to gauge interest in the DC team.

Edited by Ron78

1 minute ago, skinsfan_1215 said:

At the rate attendance is dropping for Skins games they might be able to play those at Audi Field too. 

It's not worth it to travel up into the suburbs of Maryland to get jobbed by Dan Snyder year after year.  The talent pool will obviously not be the same in the XFL but games will be cheaper and more convenient to get to.  It wasn't a bad market choice for the XFL.

54 minutes ago, Ron78 said:

It's not worth it to travel up into the suburbs of Maryland to get jobbed by Dan Snyder year after year.  The talent pool will obviously not be the same in the XFL but games will be cheaper and more convenient to get to.  It wasn't a bad market choice for the XFL.

Will be interesting to see what happens with acquiring young talent.  If a guy can make more in the XFL than they can with the NFL's rookie wage scale, that might start to bring more talent there.  And if the XFL will allow guys to enter the league without forcing them to go through however many years of NCAA indentured servitude, they could potentially steal talent before it's even available to the NFL.  If they can leverage those two factors, interesting things could happen.  If nothing else, it could force the NFL to change.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Dont Taze Me Bro said:

Do you really need a stand alone thread for one XFL team?  

It serves a different purpose.  I think your thread has run its course.

6 minutes ago, PokerPacker said:

Will be interesting to see what happens with acquiring young talent.  If a guy can make more in the XFL than they can with the NFL's rookie wage scale, that might start to bring more talent there.  And if the XFL will allow guys to enter the league without forcing them to go through however many years of NCAA indentured servitude, they could potentially steal talent before it's even available to the NFL.  If they can leverage those two factors, interesting things could happen.  If nothing else, it could force the NFL to change.

The XFL already set a three tiered pay scale for its players (I can't remember exactly what it was).  I am sure they would go "outside of the box" for name NFL free agents that are available and negotiate better paying contracts, but a conservative pay scale is a good idea.  They shouldn't be paying players more than they are actually worth.  The USFL did that to undercut the NFL, and they bankrupted themselves big time.  There are roughly five thousand NCAA football players that graduate every year.  Most of them will never be NFL caliber, but some do slip through the cracks.  I bet the quality of play will be better than what people are expecting.

Edited by Ron78

2 hours ago, Ron78 said:

r

Audi field is a pretty nice stadium.  There is no tailgating allowed there though, so I would have preferred they did a few renovations at RFK and played there.  Plenty of wide open parking there.  

I've biked past Audi Field a couple times, on non-game days.  There seems to be a party area outside the stadium on the south side. I guess that area is the alternative to tailgating.

From the outside, the stadium looks pretty nice.  The stands look close to the action.  I've mentioned going there to see the United, more to check out the stadium than to watch soccer.  

1 minute ago, ixcuincle said:

**** Dallas

I had hoped they would duplicate the NFC East rivalries by having DC, NY, Dallas, and Philly teams.  They have 3 out of 4.

2 minutes ago, Dan T. said:

I've biked past Audi Field a couple times, on non-game days.  There seems to be a party area outside the stadium on the south side. I guess that area is the alternative to tailgating.

From the outside, the stadium looks pretty nice.  The stands look close to the action.  I've mentioned going there to see the United, more to check out the stadium than to watch soccer.  

I saw a United game there.  It is a really nice stadium.  Nothing can replace tailgating though.  I would rather be drinking my own beer and cooking my own food with friends and family then buying the high-priced **** there.

• 2 months later...
4 hours ago, Ron78 said:

XFL doesn't stand a chance now that the AAF has deals with CBS, TNT and the NFL Network.  I'll give it a shot, but I don't expect this to go more than two seasons.  Mainly because Vince's ego might make him take the financial loss to go more than one season this time.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1