Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Press Release: #REDSKINS MAKE ROSTER MOVE

TK

For Immediate Release

September 8, 2018

REDSKINS MAKE ROSTER MOVE

LOUDOUN COUNTY, Va. – The Washington Redskins announced today that they have made the following roster move:

The Redskins waived the following player with an injury settlement:

DE Anthony Lanier

50 minutes ago, Califan007 said:

Wasn't Lanier supposed to be the missing piece to a Super Bowl run?...

Or a fan favorite. Same thing.

He was. The FO just thew in the towel, the season is over boys. Time to pack it up and go home, see you next year.

2 hours ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

He cleared waivers so I'm not sure why they didn't just keep him on IR for the year, and try him again next year.

Either they thought his injury would continue to be a problem, or they saw no reason to invest in his talent anymore

Maybe they are that excited about Brantley. :)

2 hours ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

He cleared waivers so I'm not sure why they didn't just keep him on IR for the year, and try him again next year.

Either they thought his injury would continue to be a problem, or they saw no reason to invest in his talent anymore

I think its a combination of things. Lanier's injury wasn't severe enough and I suspect Lanier didn't want to stay on IR all year either. IR'd players can't practice or play. But we knew this was coming. If the team wanted to IR Lanier, they would have just done it. Like they did with Guice. But Lanier was waived. Or more technically waived/injured. I suspect it was some combo of the fact the team looks at Lanier as an expendable talent and/or is easily replaceable (he was sixth on the depth chart at DL and that's not including McGee). It also leaves open the possibility of bringing Lanier back later this season. And it saves on salary cap space.

7 hours ago, Jericho said:

I think its a combination of things. Lanier's injury wasn't severe enough and I suspect Lanier didn't want to stay on IR all year either. IR'd players can't practice or play. But we knew this was coming. If the team wanted to IR Lanier, they would have just done it. Like they did with Guice. But Lanier was waived. Or more technically waived/injured. I suspect it was some combo of the fact the team looks at Lanier as an expendable talent and/or is easily replaceable (he was sixth on the depth chart at DL and that's not including McGee). It also leaves open the possibility of bringing Lanier back later this season. And it saves on salary cap space.

It does save some CAP but not enough to make it the primary driver.

They could have kept him on IR and then released him when he was healthy. However, if they do that he cannot resign with the team. And they have to wait for him to clear medical before they can release him. This way the two sides agree the number of weeks the team will pay him (hence the settlement part) and he is free to play with anyone if he clears waivers - which I think he already did once. However with settlement he can actually be resigned by the team after the settlement time period plus 6 weeks. For a minor injury say they agree to 4 weeks in the settlement. He could be resigned after 10 weeks if he is not on another team. 

It gives the player the opportunity to get on with another team right away - or earlier than if waiting for outright release but also allows the team to resign later if there are a lot of injuries and the player is not playing somewhere else. 

Edit: Just to be clear I was expanding on your comment. 

I really like Lanier and would still call him a success story for our scouting department. He has developed nicely, but we've gone from a team with a bunch of either / or players to hopefully players that are good at both run and pass. 

Still surprised it was Lanier and not Hood, but i can see a couple of things factoring in like his possible ceiling, his not being the leader that Hood is, him not being as position flexible, and probably the hit or miss aspect of his game. 

Hopefully he finds a good job soon, or who knows we may be able to bring him back if things look bad injury-wise again

5 hours ago, Thinking Skins said:

I really like Lanier and would still call him a success story for our scouting department. He has developed nicely, but we've gone from a team with a bunch of either / or players to hopefully players that are good at both run and pass. 

Still surprised it was Lanier and not Hood, but i can see a couple of things factoring in like his possible ceiling, his not being the leader that Hood is, him not being as position flexible, and probably the hit or miss aspect of his game. 

Hopefully he finds a good job soon, or who knows we may be able to bring him back if things look bad injury-wise again

Maybe, just maybe - Hood provides the type of leadership that will help harness Brantley's capabilities......

Archived