Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Gameday Thread

Simmsy

57 minutes ago, Dissident2 said:

I honestly don't think any fanbase is feeling as bad as the Chiefs' right now. I can't imagine how badly that loss hurt, particularly that neutral zone infraction play. They had the game won right there. Their first Super Bowl in nearly 50 years. For just those few seconds, it was all theirs, and then ... to see that flag and to see such a ridiculous, easily-avoided penalty take that win away ... that is a mule kick to the spleen of epic proportions. 

Dee Ford said he needed to see the ball but thought he was not in the neutral zone though. Just saw the clip on NFL.com and the angle they have on the video shows how over the line he was. Him being slightly over the neutral zone had not effect on the INT that happened on the other side of the line. If he was lined up correctly that INT was happening despite of him. Ford is going to have to live with that for a long time now. 

46 minutes ago, RichmondRedskin88 said:

For pointing out a total conflict of interest?

Where they live does not create a conflict of interest. It's a baseless assumption that they root for their hometown team anyway but if you trust them to be professional enough to have the job in the first place, you must trust them to be impartial. 

48 minutes ago, purbeast said:

Like when it fits your argument.

Gotcha.

Yeah, I'm pointing out that it's not fair every time a team loses and they don't get a chance to have the ball on offense in OT. Congratulations, you've figured out the basis of the argument. The times that the Defense stops them are meaningless. You are judging the result, I am judging the actual process which is unfair from the start, regardless of the result. 

So in your mind, unless an injustice happens 100% of the time, it is not an injustice?

Gotcha...

I just disagree about the OT rules.  I think they are fine how they are.  The only thing I would change in maybe the playoffs is that instead of sudden death, you play a full extra quarter and play the 15 minutes out. 

Defense is just as big a part as the offense is and the Chiefs had the Pats 3rd and 10 3x I think on that final drive, and they couldn't stop them.  The Pats deserved to win.

If the Pats score a TD and then the Chiefs get a turn, and then scored a TD as well, tieing it up, then what?  Then it's okay to go to sudden death?  Or if the Pats scored another TD, it would only be fair if the Chiefs had another opportunity to score a TD?

I agree with Andy Polan and Loverro this morning saying that the whole "fair" argument is just part of the whole new participation trophy generation. 

You want the ball in OT?  Then have your defense go stop the opposing teams offense.  Simple as that.

EDIT:

And for the record, I think NCAA overtime rules are awful.  They basically turn it into a new game with new rules in OT, starting from some arbitrary yardline.

Lol this girl I’m fb friends with (saints fan) shared a change.org petition to have a rematch of the NFCCG on Sunday 😂😂 wow. 

Michael Thomas even tweeted some rule in the nfl rulebook (rule 17 section 2 article 3) about how the nfl is allowed to call a rematch or have a game played from a particular point due to a penalty of unfair act (something like that). Somewhere in there it even says reversal of a games results. 

Romo wasn't perfect.  As someone posted last night, why did he try to predict a fumblerooski on the Pats kneel Armstrong play? Sure, they have run plays out of that before, but for all his ace play calling before the fact, that one was a bit of a head scratcher. Maybe he was trying to be funny or cement himself as a visionary for life, feeling it after clearly being on a roll - by trying to call a modern day Joe Pisarcik.

Miracle_at_the_Meadowlands_fumble.png

5 minutes ago, Cooleyfan1993 said:

Lol this girl I’m fb friends with (saints fan) shared a change.org petition to have a rematch of the NFCCG on Sunday 😂😂 wow. 

Michael Thomas even tweeted some rule in the nfl rulebook (rule 17 section 2 article 3) about how the nfl is allowed to call a rematch or have a game played from a particular point due to a penalty of unfair act (something like that). Somewhere in there it even says reversal of a games results. 

That’s actually accurate.  Some football sites have been talking about it.  That would be crazy though.  I guess they would redo in a empty stadium in the middle of the week?

Brutal call. One that has kept people from talking about two big things.

Brees got outplayed by Goff -- especially in the big moments -- at home.  Goff was calling the plays at several points because it was so loud. Kid is Cali Cool.

McVay got conservative at the worst time. 4th down on 1 foot line and he kicks a FG. Went against everything he has done all year. Got away with one there.

As an Angeleno, I'm pumped. Definitely understand the Saints frustration. Another thing Goodell has truly screwed up. Refs have been a problem for so long. If nothing else, change what is reviewable.

1 hour ago, zskins said:

Yes, that was a blown call. It happens. But the Saints got another chance in OT to go down the field to score a TD. They failed instead. Maybe the Rams will win the SB like the Eagles did last year. We shall see. 

Brees came up small in the big moments, that's for damn sure.

32 minutes ago, RandyHolt said:

Romo wasn't perfect.  As someone posted last night, why did he try to predict a fumblerooski on the Pats kneel Armstrong play? Sure, they have run plays out of that before, but for all his ace play calling before the fact, that one was a bit of a head scratcher. Maybe he was trying to be funny or cement himself as a visionary for life, feeling it after clearly being on a roll - by trying to call a modern day Joe Pisarcik.

The Patriots tried to do a fake kneel in the playoffs a year or two ago, I think it might have been against the Eagles in the SB before halftime. Romo was having fun, I don't see any reason why he shouldn't be allowed to enjoy it.

29 minutes ago, RandyHolt said:

Miracle_at_the_Meadowlands_fumble.png

He was 100% having fun with it. He was not serious at all. 

I never liked Romo as a player for very obvious reasons. But he may be my favorite person doing color out there right now. The way he diagnoses a play in a manner that the average fan can understand - and then calls the plays as they happen is really entertaining. Yes, he will get it wrong some. But he gets it right a lot more than anyone I can remember who ever tried. 

11 minutes ago, Hooper said:

Another thing Goodell has truly screwed up. Refs have been a problem for so long. If nothing else, change what is reviewable.

I think there should be a rule only in playoffs inside the 2 min where a coach is allowed to call a review for a questionable call. The coach will only get 1 of these so it is up to the coach to call it either before the half 2 min or at the end of. 

If all calls are reviewed automatically inside the 2 min then someone in NY should have called the ref right away and had that **** reviewed/overturned. Again only for a blatant obvious miss and not questionable ones. 

1 minute ago, goskins10 said:

I never liked Romo as a player for very obvious reasons. But he may be my favorite person doing color out there right now. The way he diagnoses a play in a manner that the average fan can understand - and then calls the plays as they happen is really entertaining. Yes, he will get it wrong some. But he gets it right a lot more than anyone I can remember who ever tried. 

Him explaining the exact play beforehand really is enjoyable for me. It helps me and the rest of fans realize just how good the team and its players are, to be able to know exactly what they're doing and watch other teams fail to stop them.

I don't have a great dislike of Chris Collinsworth, but I would KILL to put Romo in the same booth as Al Michaels.

4 hours ago, RichmondRedskin88 said:

For pointing out a total conflict of interest?

I will give you this, you have been entertaining on this topic. A total conflict of interest eh? I am going to guess you ignored the post where I posting an actual link to an article from an LA publication BEFORE the game - not "something I heard on radio" where the LA fans literally started a Change.org petition to remove the Head of Referees for that referee team since they were 0-8 all time when he refs their games, including one earlier this year. They had over 800,000 signatures. If there is any conflict of interest, man they are hiding it well - again 0 wins and 8 losses.  

But I guess that was all just to set up getting the Rams into the SB, right? 😂

4 hours ago, Berggy9598 said:

So nobody remembers the missed face mask on Goff that would have given the Rams first and goal at about the 4, on the drive in which they had to settle for a game tying field goal? 

See...  Nobody wants to mention that so they can believe that the refs took the game from the Saints.  The Saints took the game from the Saints by not outplaying the Rams, period.

Thanks all, I thought Romo was being serious trying to call a fumble. The snap happened so fast he could barely finish his sentence and then tried to make a joke about it IIRC. It just struck me as odd, since we don't hear the biggest clown announcers say things like that.  He was on a roll and he knew it. 

Had there been a botched exchange fumble, that would have been hilarious.

14 hours ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

I’m 42.

The night of the tuck rule game which started the legend, I was dating a girl who happened to be a Raiders fan. Initially, I had good feelings towards Brady because of the awesome next 3 days of “it’s going to be ok” sex. That was a good time.  

However she broke up with me a few days later.  Maybe she caught on to my plan.

She now has 8 kids (none mine). That’s how long that guy has been doing it.

She a farmer or something? Good Lord 😂

1 hour ago, purbeast said:

Defense is just as big a part as the offense is and the Chiefs had the Pats 3rd and 10 3x I think on that final drive, and they couldn't stop them.  The Pats deserved to win.

The Pats deserved to score, but we don't know if they deserved to win because they didn't have to play defense against the Chiefs offense. 

2 hours ago, purbeast said:

If the Pats score a TD and then the Chiefs get a turn, and then scored a TD as well, tieing it up, then what?  Then it's okay to go to sudden death?  Or if the Pats scored another TD, it would only be fair if the Chiefs had another opportunity to score a TD?

Yeah, I would give each team the same number of chances on offense. 

2 hours ago, purbeast said:

You want the ball in OT?  Then have your defense go stop the opposing teams offense.  Simple as that.

We don't decide any other sport this way. Are you a soccer fan? Why don't we have soccer games that tie go immediately to a coin toss and the winner gets a penalty kick. If it goes in, the game is over. if not, the other team gets a PK. Technically, the other team can just stop the PK if they want to win. 

We don't do that though because it's unfair and we just know that's not practical in soccer and it's equally as ridiculous in the NFL, especially when the league now caters so heavily towards the offense. 

No I don't watch soccer and I think PK's are the worst possible thing in any sport that is tied.  I know they don't go directly to them, but the fact they do is just stupid.  I'm glad the NHL changes their OT rules in the playoffs, but at least a loss in OT in hockey nets you a point.

And we don't decide a game the same way as football because there are no other sports like football.

Ok, OT rules. It's not as big a deal tom e as others but i can see the issue.  I think the rules they have are fine for the regular season. 

However, I think in the POs they should play an additional 15 minute period before going to the current rules. If still tied, then both teams get a possession no matter what is or is not scored then go to first score if still tied. 

It's not really that much a change. But it makes entirely too much sense. 

4 hours ago, Hooper said:

Brees came up small in the big moments, that's for damn sure.

I disagree.  He did what was needed to win the game many times.  He had some bad throws as did Goff as well as some drops by his receivers, but the biggest moment (the interception) wasn't really his fault and his bad throws mostly came in less crucial moments.  I don't think Goff did anything too special, and was benefited by better protection (and some probably uncalled holding on some of the bigger plays). 

Archived