Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

SCOTUS: No longer content with stacking, they're now dealing from the bottom of the deck

Burgold

I love it, this couldn't have happened at a better time and I believe much more and much worse things will come out before its all over. You have Trump being indicted, Fox News being sued for defamation, Tennessee being an absolute **** show, etc. I think enough people are finally starting to see what a **** show the GOP actually has become. A couple of years ago, I would say Clarence Thomas is safe. Right now, I'm leaning more towards him either being impeached or him stepping down. We might be seeing the swan song of Thomas on the SCOTUS. Hopefully, if we get our chance, Feinstein won't be a problem for us.

• Like 1

I honestly can’t believe this isn’t a bigger deal yet. Agree that he’ll never be impeached, but there should be massive protests outside the court, every aspect of his financial life should be unpacked and laid bare in public view and cross referenced for relationships with SCOTUS litigants, and every public body that has licensed or endorsed him should be asked about him, including the American Bar Association. 

• Like 3
  • Thumb up 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 4

Fox News isn’t talking about Clarence Thomas much

Two complementary reports from ProPublica published in recent days have resulted in intense new scrutiny of Supreme Court Justice Clarence Thomas. Last week, the independent news site reported that Thomas had received hundreds of thousands of dollars worth of trips from billionaire Harlan Crow without reporting the largesse. Then, on Thursday, ProPublica reported that Crow had purchased property from Thomas, transactions that Thomas again failed to report.

For more than a week, political observers and elected officials have parsed and discussed the interactions. Crow himself has been a subject of a great deal of analysis; his hobby of collecting souvenirs linked to Adolf Hitler has been a particular source of fascination. The more important conversations, though, center on renewed questions about the standards of behavior to which members of the nation’s highest court are subjected.

If you are a consumer of Fox News, though, you might not have heard about any of this.

Click on the link for the full article

Over the last two decades, Supreme Court Justice Clarence Thomas has reported on required financial disclosure forms that his family received rental income totaling hundreds of thousands of dollars from a firm called Ginger, Ltd., Partnership.

But that company — a Nebraska real estate firm launched in the 1980s by his wife and her relatives — has not existed since 2006.

That year, the family real estate company was shut down and a separate firm was created, state incorporation records show. The similarly named firm assumed control of the shuttered company’s land leasing business, according to property records.

Since that time, however, Thomas has continued to report income from the defunct company — between $50,000 and $100,000 annually in recent years — and there is no mention of the newer firm, Ginger Holdings, LLC, on the forms.

An order signed by Federal Circuit Chief Judge Kimberly Moore said a three-judge committee had determined that Judge Pauline Newman, who is 95, may "suffer a disability that interferes with her ability to perform the responsibilities of her office."

In an earlier order in March, Moore said Newman had shown signs of cognitive and physical impairment, delayed filing opinions, disclosed sensitive medical information to her staff and allowed one of her law clerks to exhibit unspecified "unprofessional and inappropriate behavior." 

The March order said that half of the court's active judges expressed concern about Newman's mental fitness. Newman had refused to consider senior status, a form of semi-retirement, calling herself the only person on the court "who cared about the patent system and innovation policy," the order said.

Lifetime appointments were a mistake

• Thumb up 1

2 hours ago, PleaseBlitz said:

I understand Republicans supporting “their” guy, but who the **** are the 20% of everyone else that support corruption on the Supreme Court?

Independent thinkers who don't support a major Party. And do their own research. 

• Haha 1

I mean, this is the definition of corruption, but nothing is going to happen.  The SC has lifetime appointments for judges last time I checked, so unless Thomas grows a conscience or suddenly discovers the true meaning of honor and decency, these stories really do nothing in the end.  We already knew that he and other SC justices are corrupt, the only thing revealing about this is just how much the scope covers on how corrupt Thomas is.  I have no doubt that Kavanaugh, Gorsuch and Barrett are just as corrupt.

Edited by samy316
  • Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

8 hours ago, PleaseBlitz said:

Anyone think Harlan Crow lavishes trips and cash on his other friends who aren't in positions of extreme power?

Supposedly, there are people arguing exactly that.  That he has a reputation for doing that.  For people who aren't politically connected.  

The justices are hearing oral arguments in an appeal brought by Gerald Groff, who says the U.S. Postal Service could have granted his request that he be spared Sunday shifts based on his religious belief that it is a day of worship and rest. 

Groff wants the court to make it easier for employees to bring religious claims under Title VII of the Civil Rights Act, which prohibits workplace discrimination on various fronts, including religion. 

A noncareer employee, Groff worked as an auxiliary mailman in the Lancaster, Pennsylvania, area from 2012 to 2019, when he resigned. His job was to fill in when other workers were not available, including on weekends and holidays.

Foh with this. Go work at Chick-fil-A if you can't work Sundays.

• Thumb down 1

On 4/16/2023 at 12:31 PM, PleaseBlitz said:

I understand Republicans supporting “their” guy, but who the **** are the 20% of everyone else that support corruption on the Supreme Court?

I took a marketing course on research methods way back once and we learned that a significant number of people really just like to complete surveys but they don't really even pay attention to the questions.  If there was a prize for completing the survey we'd all understand why this was the case, but as it turns out, this is true even if there is no incentive to take/finish the survey.

In the marketing world, you combat this by throwing in some control questions that you can use later to filter out nonsense (e.g.: ask the same question twice but reword and reorder the answers to see if people are really paying attention), but in the polling world, it's not as easy to throw out nonsensical responses because you're then applying your own biases to the results.  I could totally believe there are 20% of the population that didn't really understand the question, didn't pay attention to the words they were reading, or just didn't care. 

Edited by balki1867
  • Like 1
  • Thumb up 1