Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2018 - 19 Stanley Cup Champion Washington Capitals Thread

ixcuincle

2 hours ago, Popeman38 said:

Djoos, Bowey, Siegenthaler, Johanson...

Johanson made his debut for the Caps earlier this season. Siegenthaler is a long term fixture on defense, as is Djoos. Bowey made HUGE strides from last season. Alexeyev VERY young. Defense and tender are positions of strength. 

Are you sure about Johanson being up this season? I did like how Siegenthaler played. Not sold on Djoos or Bowey yet. Really need one to step up for Orpik next season. After that most guys are locked up a few years on D. 

Goalie isn't a concern for me at all. It will be interesting to see if they keep Holtby around or eventually move on from him depending on his salary. Gonna really need ot focus on drafting and developing a couple centers followed by wings. Develop these guys over the next few years so when Kuzy centers the top line with Vrana and Wilson, there is good depth. 

I can't help but thinking long term cause there is a ton of talent here. 

7 hours ago, Hersh said:

Are you sure about Johanson being up this season? I did like how Siegenthaler played. Not sold on Djoos or Bowey yet. Really need one to step up for Orpik next season. After that most guys are locked up a few years on D. 

Goalie isn't a concern for me at all. It will be interesting to see if they keep Holtby around or eventually move on from him depending on his salary. Gonna really need ot focus on drafting and developing a couple centers followed by wings. Develop these guys over the next few years so when Kuzy centers the top line with Vrana and Wilson, there is good depth. 

I can't help but thinking long term cause there is a ton of talent here. 

I was, until you asked. It was Tyler Lewington who made his debut this season, playing 2 games. AND he didn’t even make my list of defensive prospects!  🤦‍♂️ My bad. 

Tom Wilson is becoming my favorite player. Super fast, scares other teams with his fists and hits, handsome, scores shortie goals, great teammate, not injury prone, etc etc. I bet other teams are chomping at the bit to find their version of a Tommy Wilson, dude is just awesome so glad he is a Capital. 

BUFFALO, N.Y. -- The Washington Capitals upgraded their blue line Friday by acquiring defenseman Nick Jensen from the Detroit Red Wings.

Washington sent a 2020 second-round pick and defenseman Madison Bowey to Detroit for Jensen and a 2019 fifth-round pick.

Jensen, 28, is a late-blooming right-handed shooter who is averaging a career-high 20:48 of ice time in his third NHL season. Jensen has two goals and 13 assists for 15 points through 60 games, tying his career best with a quarter of the season left. He can become an unrestricted free agent this summer.

Bowey, 23, has been in and out of the defending Stanley Cup champions' lineup this season and has a goal and five assists in 33 games. He is signed through next season at a salary-cap hit of $1 million.

Solid job by GMBM!! Bummer for Bowey, but this guy Jensen is a solid blue liner, was touted as a puck mover that turned into a solid D, chews up minutes and kills penalties!! Caps also signed him to an 4x2.5 extension! Nicely done BMac!! He'll probably take Djoos' spot, but he can fill in for Orlov or Niskanen if needed and shouldn't be out of place!! 

I’m gonna reserve judgment on the trade but I really don’t get the extension. Are they drafting so bad or they have no ability to develop players anymore that they need to trade for defensemen than throw money at them? 

We were just discussing this yesterday. Caps have drafted a lot of defensemen at the expense of centers and forwards and now maybe one gets a shot next year if they let Djoos go. The Caps have been great because they drafted awesome for years and developed players. That’s stopped the last few years or at least they aren’t trusting the process anymore. That’s concerning cause Vrana is gonna need to get paid this summer. Backstrom is a FA after next season. Gotta have inexpensive talent funneling up to sustain. 

14 minutes ago, Popeman38 said:

That was a WEAK tripping call on Dowd. He leaned on a guy who fell over. No stick or leg contact with Bogosian’s legs. And of course a lazy play by Kempney ends up in the back of the net. 

What are your thoughts on Kempney?

I actually welcome anyone to answer that.

I think Reirden is trying to hide 44-29 too much, which requires 74-6 and 9-2 to play WAY too many minutes. Orpik is done. He is  a black hole. Possession and high danger scoring chances are through the roof for the other team when he is on the ice. He needs to be scratched for Jensen...

2 hours ago, Hersh said:

The Caps are only three point clear of the first team out of the playoffs. 

Theyre also only 5 points out of the division lead.  The thing is, there are 9 teams in a logjam for 8 playoff spots right now (aside from TBL).

Speaking of which... is anyone really worried about TBL at all?  We’ve seen what a hot offensive team does come playoff time plenty of times before.  I think they might not even make it out of the first round.

18 minutes ago, Springfield said:

Theyre also only 5 points out of the division lead.  The thing is, there are 9 teams in a logjam for 8 playoff spots right now (aside from TBL).

Speaking of which... is anyone really worried about TBL at all?  We’ve seen what a hot offensive team does come playoff time plenty of times before.  I think they might not even make it out of the first round.

They have to be hoping they don’t get the Pens or Caps in the first round. I think they likely crush anyone else. 

Archived