Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

What will the Redskins roster makeup/strategy be?

carex

6 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I got to put some thought into it.  Good topic.  Among their FA signings I am a big Richardson guy (was before they signed him) and also a big McPhee guy. If McPhee is healthy, I think he's really good.  I admit I have my doubts about Ryan Anderson let alone the team cutting McPhee because of his emergence.    But hopefully Ryan comes through with a big off season/season.  Nonetheless, they need 2 good backup rushers anyway.

The one FA signing I didn't love is Scandrick.   I would have much preferred DRC.   So the secondary is what worries me.   We lost 2 of our 3 corners in the off season.  Just assuming that last year's #4 and #5 corner would step in without a beat and Scandrick will resurrect his career is a big maybe for me.

I used to be hung up on Hankins in FA now for me its a corner -- maybe DRC.  The thing is about that position is depth is key so the odds that we get to the next layer of corners at some point is pretty good.  My other thing is if Nicholson gets hurt again -- I am not a big Everett guy.  But you can't have depth everywhere.

I like D line.  I like Edge -- though I wish they had a speed rusher in that mix.  I like MLB.  CB is a concern.  Safety -- if they avoid injuries is good. 

On offense.  QB = good.  RB = good.  O line -- got some concern with all of those guys coming off of injury and LG -- I think we need some luck at that position.  TE -- "meh" unless Jordan Reed is healthy if so then very good.   WR = good. 

Dunbar was only the fourth corner because nickelback has become it's own position.  He was Norman's primary backup and started when Norman was out

7 hours ago, carex said:

Dunbar was only the fourth corner because nickelback has become it's own position.  He was Norman's primary backup and started when Norman was out

Dunbar was the 4th best corner on the team not just because he doesn't play nickel but because Fuller is the better player.    Will see maybe Dunbar ends up the better player, I don't know.  But somehow I suspect KC didn't ask for Dunbar first, the Skins turned them down, so they said we'd settle for Fuller. 

Based on camp so far looks like Scandrick is getting most of the reps at outside corner in 2 corner sets.  Surprised.  Maybe that will change come training camp.

6 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Dunbar was the 4th best corner on the team not just because he doesn't play nickel but because Fuller is the better player.    Will see maybe Dunbar ends up the better player, I don't know.  But somehow I suspect KC didn't ask for Dunbar first, the Skins turned them down, so they said we'd settle for Fuller. 

Based on camp so far looks like Scandrick is getting most of the reps at outside corner in 2 corner sets.  Surprised.  Maybe that will change come training camp.

Fuller is absolutely the better player but I do think the coaching staff is excited about Dunbar and Moreau. Corner just happened to be a position where we were pretty loaded but losing Fuller still stings. Agree it's one of the most questionable areas of the team, but I do envision having a front 7 that makes there jobs a little easier.

1 minute ago, HardcoreZorn said:

Fuller is absolutely the better player but I do think the coaching staff is excited about Dunbar and Moreau. Corner just happened to be a position where we were pretty loaded but losing Fuller still stings. Agree it's one of the most questionable areas of the team, but I do envision having a front 7 that makes there jobs a little easier.

My question about the roster is mostly about the defense.   On the offense side of the ball, Jay typically figures it out.   But on defense just about every year, we got a position that looks questionable and we sell ourselves on best case scenario but usually that hole whatever it is comes at bites us.  And granted really every team has a hole.

But I agree with the premise of your point which is a good D line often translates to a good secondary.  Hopefully, that happens.   My gut is the D line is improved.  Outside corner is good but a step down from Breeland and our weakness ends up the slot just like old times as for that position pre 2017.

58 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

My question about the roster is mostly about the defense.   On the offense side of the ball, Jay typically figures it out.   But on defense just about every year, we got a position that looks questionable and we sell ourselves on best case scenario but usually that hole whatever it is comes at bites us.  And granted really every team has a hole.

But I agree with the premise of your point which is a good D line often translates to a good secondary.  Hopefully, that happens.   My gut is the D line is improved.  Outside corner is good but a step down from Breeland and our weakness ends up the slot just like old times as for that position pre 2017.

Right there with you.  The bit of good news re. slot corner is that we have 3 guys with fairly legitimate experience in that role vying for the gig.  Seems like in the past, we’d try out guys that hadn’t played the position, and it’s a hard one to just jump into.  Guess we’ll see how it pans out.  

Scandrick playing outside does surprise me (and concern me) in terms of Dunbar/Moreau’s readiness, but hopefully it’s a matter of 1) him looking good (not them looking bad) and/or 2) wanting to see what he has there for now to get a better feel for his abilities/best fit.  

There’s an element of coaches generally preferring vets (particularly in the secondary?) because they’ve seen more, and giving the younger guys more time to develop and learn from the vet before perhaps needing to jump in.  Hoping the glass is half full here.  

Got it a bit redundant there...

Was just catching up with Finlay podcasts.  He and Tandler have been at the mini camps.  They've been impressed with Dunbar.  Alex looks good.  Good chemistry with Crowder and Alex Smith is spending extra time with Doctson.  Harvey Clemons is getting a lot of reps.  Paul Richardson has looked good.   They've complemented Guice previously. 

Negatives -- Hogan looked awful in one of the practices they were at.  Ryan Anderson to them looks meh in practice.   To quote them he doesn't really look like a pass rusher to them, questioned him in coverage, too.   Funny that brings me back to Cooley saying Ryan looked "meh" in camp when he watched last year.  That was borne out during the season.   Hopefully that's not the case this time.  No real mentions that I recall from any of the beat guys about McPhee.  Personally, I think if the dude is healthy, he's a force. 

8 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Was just catching up with Finlay podcasts.  He and Tandler have been at the mini camps.  They've been impressed with Dunbar.  Alex looks good.  Good chemistry with Crowder and Alex Smith is spending extra time with Doctson.  Harvey Clemons is getting a lot of reps.  Paul Richardson has looked good.   They've complemented Guice previously. 

Negatives -- Hogan looked awful in one of the practices they were at.  Ryan Anderson to them looks meh in practice.   To quote them he doesn't really look like a pass rusher to them, questioned him in coverage, too.   Funny that brings me back to Cooley saying Ryan looked "meh" in camp when he watched last year.  That was borne out during the season.   Hopefully that's not the case this time.  No real mentions that I recall from any of the beat guys about McPhee.  Personally, I think if the dude is healthy, he's a force. 

Really good to hear that Smith is spending extra time with Doctson. I think that will help out a lot in him taking the next step this year. Hopefully that trust and chemistry will be there and we'll see Smith take more chances on contested throws to him.

TBH I always thought Ryan Anderson was "meh" when I watched his cutups after the draft and watched him during the season. He has a big time motor but that seems like that's about all that's special about him. Decent at setting the edge in the run game, but really not much of a threat as a pass rusher...limited athleticism (doesn't really have the loose hips and flexibility to bend around the edge, mediocre first step, etc) and limited pass rush moves. Maybe he'll take a step forward this year but I'm not really counting on it. Honestly, I always thought we overdrafted him.

The problem with this roster is they have five players making 10mil plus that aren't even elite players where as other teams that are paying as much to there players are elite or just produce more..

2 hours ago, mistertim said:

Really good to hear that Smith is spending extra time with Doctson. I think that will help out a lot in him taking the next step this year. Hopefully that trust and chemistry will be there and we'll see Smith take more chances on contested throws to him.

TBH I always thought Ryan Anderson was "meh" when I watched his cutups after the draft and watched him during the season. He has a big time motor but that seems like that's about all that's special about him. Decent at setting the edge in the run game, but really not much of a threat as a pass rusher...limited athleticism (doesn't really have the loose hips and flexibility to bend around the edge, mediocre first step, etc) and limited pass rush moves. Maybe he'll take a step forward this year but I'm not really counting on it. Honestly, I always thought we overdrafted him.

To both points, loved Doctson when we drafted him.  Crazy good hands and with a vertical that's insane.  He's off to a so so start but last year was in effect his rookie year.

As for Anderson, short armed guys who are slow typically don't make it as pass rushers.  Heck Trent Williams ran a faster 10 than Ryan Anderson.

I wasn't high on him pre draft.  After we drafted him, I got swept into the Anderson plays angry hype and bought in.  Watching him last year in recent weeks via coach tape, I was unimpressed.    So hearing Finlay say that Anderson doesn't look like a pass rusher in practice with Tandler concurring - granted neither guy is a scout -- but didn't make me feel warm and fuzzy about him. 

But who knows?  Sink or swim season I think ahead for Anderson.  

13 hours ago, bh32 said:

The problem with this roster is they have five players making 10mil plus that aren't even elite players where as other teams that are paying as much to there players are elite or just produce more..

Alex Smith QB $13,000,000 $5,400,000 - - - - - ($55,000,000) $18,400,000 9.90
Josh Norman CB $13,500,000 $3,000,000 $437,500 - - - - ($22,500,000) $16,937,500 9.12
Trent Williams LT $10,000,000 $1,700,000 $156,250 $2,000,000 - - - ($9,400,000) $13,856,250 7.46
Ryan Kerrigan OLB $9,000,000 $3,200,000 $250,000 - - - - ($6,400,000) $12,450,000 6.70
Jordan Reed TE $8,250,000 $1,800,000 $93,750 - - - - ($13,400,000) $10,143,750 5.46

I'm sorry but I disagree.

Alex Smith is a minor step down to brady, rogers, etc but barely. Considered the best QB in most combined statistics last year. Has had a great last five years.

Josh Norman may not be lockdown, but he's about as close as  you can get. (Maybe a little over priced)

Trent Williams is ELITE

Ryan Kerrigan, how can you ask for more? 71 sacks over 7 years?! That's 4th most since he entered the league.

Jordan Reed (yeah I agree. We paid for potential but he's hurt all the time..)

13 hours ago, bh32 said:

Check out the last couple free agent classes amigo... The cap keeps rising; $10M isn't what elite players get paid. 

16 hours ago, mistertim said:

One minor critique- Anderson is very good at setting the edge. Unfortunately, that's about the only thing that I trust him to do. Unless finds a quicker first step, he may only be suited for run stopping. 

I remember drawing a comparison to Perine last year thinking that both of these guys were just tough mothertruckers with limited athletic ability and I was curious to see how they'd pan out. So far, not so good. It was mini case study for future reference; if we're in a position of freaky raw talent vs tough SOB, who should we go with... The case isn't closed, and in fact, should be expanded, but it has me leaning in the other direction.

I’m hopeful that Anderson goes the route Trent Murphy did in terms of developing from playing well vs the run, to becoming a legitimate pass rusher.  There’s some cause for hope on that front given how he seems to have worked hard on his body this offseason.  

I’m guessing last year was a bit of a wake up call for him - a realization that the league is a tough place to play and you need to do everything you can to maximize your chances.  It’s not enough to play the game hard, and I think this offseason was a good sign of maturity from him.  

This should give us all more confidence in Chase going forward:

Ranking all 32 offensive lines by pass-blocking efficiency

24. WASHINGTON REDSKINS

2017 pass-blocking efficiency: 76.6

Best individual PBEChase Roullier, 98.4

A few offensive lines were held back by injuries in 2017, but none were more injury-riddled than the Redskins, who had 12 different players play at least 50 pass-block snaps throughout the season. All told, the Redskins surrendered 181 pressures on 606 passing plays, including 35 QB hits, the fifth-most among offensive lines. There were bright spots, however, as left tackle Trent Williams, despite playing with an injury, proved once again that he’s one of the best offensive tackles in football by being the only left tackle in the league to register 350 pass-block snaps without allowing a sack. The Redskins also got a nice rookie season from center Chase Roullier, who ended the campaign with a pass-blocking efficiency of 98.4, the highest rating recorded by a rookie center since Nick Mangold (99.4) in 2006. If they can stay healthy, the Redskins have the making of one of the better offensive lines in football as we look ahead to 2018.

• 2 weeks later...

PFF Ranks the Redskins Overall Roster 21st.  Philly was 1st, Dallas 8th, Giants 28th.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/insider/story/_/id/23835148/ranking-best-worst-rosters-all-32-nfl-teams-2018-pro-football-focus

21. Washington Redskins

Biggest strength: Despite playing through injury for most of his season, Trent Williams showed why he's one of the premier left tackles in the league. He allowed just 17 pressures from 363 pass-blocking snaps in 2017, and he was the only left tackle to play more than 350 snaps without allowing a sack.

Biggest weakness: You only have to slide a spot over on the offensive line to go from the strength of a talented unit to the weakest link. Guard Shawn Lauvao has ended his last three seasons with grades below 46.5, with his 2017 grade of 37.9 the lowest of his career. He allowed 28 total pressures from his 306 pass-blocking snaps, resulting in a pass-blocking efficiency of 93.0, which ranked 78th of 79 players at the position.

By the numbers: Edge defender Ryan Kerrigan put together another impressive season in 2017, and his grade of 85.6 was the highest of his career. Kerrigan finished the season with 64 quarterback pressures (14th most among all edge defenders) and 34 stops (tied for the 13th most), which makes him one of just three edge defenders who have tallied at least 55 quarterback pressures and 25-plus stops in each of the last four seasons, with Von Miller and Everson Griffenbeing the others.

Offense

QB
Alex Smith
HB
Chris Thompson
TE
Jordan Reed
TE
Vernon Davis
WR
Jamison Crowder
WR
Josh Doctson
WR
Paul Richardson Jr.
LT
Trent Williams
LG
Shawn Lauvao
C
Chase Roullier
RG
Brandon Scherff
RT
Morgan Moses

Defense

DE
Stacy McGee
NT
Daron Payne
N/A
DE
Jonathan Allen
OLB
Ryan Kerrigan
ILB
Mason Foster
ILB
Zach Brown
OLB
Pernell McPhee
CB
Josh Norman
CB
Orlando Scandrick
CB
Quinton Dunbar
FS
Deshazor Everett
SS
D.J. Swearinger Sr.

Thanks for sharing HTTRD.  I know these ratings are somewhat limited, but I think they aren't too far off from true performance.  I'm surprised how low roullier and Zach brown were rated.  And holy crap scandrick must've been a dumpster fire.  On the bright side, Dunbar and McPhee make our defensive depth look better.  Alex smith has a great rating and plays the most important position.  And I feel confident Reed/Davis, Everett/Nicholson, doctson, and Mason foster can vastly improve this year.  And I just hope we get a serviceable option at LG in 2018.

24 minutes ago, KillBill26 said:

Thanks for sharing HTTRD.  I know these ratings are somewhat limited, but I think they aren't too far off from true performance.  I'm surprised how low roullier and Zach brown were rated.  And holy crap scandrick must've been a dumpster fire.  On the bright side, Dunbar and McPhee make our defensive depth look better.  Alex smith has a great rating and plays the most important position.  And I feel confident Reed/Davis, Everett/Nicholson, doctson, and Mason foster can vastly improve this year.  And I just hope we get a serviceable option at LG in 2018.

Roullier must have earned an atrocious run-blocking grade, because PFF loved him in pass blocking.  Hopefully the weight he's added this offseason helps him become at least an average run blocker.

Zach Brown was terrible in coverage for most of the year, so I can see why he earned such a poor grade.  Hopefully, going through a season and two off-seasons operating in the same scheme helps him read and react quicker in coverage.

I've been down on Scandrick for a while now.  I think he's done, and was shaking my head when I first heard we signed him.  Hopefully one of the young guys steps up in the slot.  We're gonna need it.

I think Dunbar will be an upgrade over Breeland tbh.  I'm eager to see how he performs.  If McPhee stays healthy, I agree that the defensive depth will be solid.  Fingers crossed.

I'd guess that Reed/Davis earned their terrible grades from PFF due to poor run blocking.  Evan Engram also had a grade in the low 40s, and he's a terrible blocker as well.  I think they weight run blocking too highly in their grades, but I do think we're going to struggle running the ball on the edges and off-tackle with our current top 2 TEs.  Sprinkle needs to play more... give the kid a shot.

LG... your guess is as good as mine.  But I think it would be inexcusable to go into week 1 with Lauvao starting.

6 hours ago, HTTRDynasty said:

I've been down on Scandrick for a while now.  I think he's done, and was shaking my head when I first heard we signed him.  Hopefully one of the young guys steps up in the slot.  We're gonna need it.

I think Dunbar will be an upgrade over Breeland tbh.  I'm eager to see how he performs.  If McPhee stays healthy, I agree that the defensive depth will be solid.  Fingers crossed.

Dunbar is interesting. He occasionally looks really good and sometimes still looks like a converted wide receiver who just lacks defensive instincts and situational awareness. As for the nickle/depth, I want the pups to step up and take a job away.  Holsey looked really good last preseason. Flashed a lot. Moreau has the pedigree. If they play to their potential and our secondary is some mix of Norman, Dunbar, Holsey, Moreau, Nicholson, and Swearinger, we might have a really nice group.

I do think that we'll suffer at the start of the year due to the loss of Fuller and Breeland. If nothing else, I think communication might be a little off.

Archived