Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Salary cap and roster implications of the 2018 Redskins draft

carex

I would not have expected the Skins to have come out of this draft with two DL and one OL instead of the other way around.

With the drafting of Payne everyone figured McClain was done, with most not expecting him to make it to camp I think.  A lot of people are expecting him to be a June 1 cut, but the Skins can actually afford to eat his salary this year.  The addition of Tim Settle could allow another cut.  I think Stacy McGee.  He did play pretty decent last year, but with the guys the Skins have McGee could end up being their sixth DL, a guy who isn't even dressing every game.  Ziggy Hood is much cheaper and liked by the coaches and considered a leader 

Eating McClain and McGee's contracts gets our cap to 18.4 million.

If we cut OL TJ Clemmings, widely considered a bust by everyone it's up to 19.7.  Cutting Vernon Davis and Scandrick next year would get us to 31.3 million.  A number high enough we might not even  need to cut Norman

Side note, with the drafting of Settle and Preston Smith being an FA next year the Skins might be best set up for a switch back to the 4-3 as they ever have been.

On the OL, I don't think you hear about guy coming in with great technique but needing to get stronger.  If that's the case in the NFL he might improve quickly.  Talked with my dad about that, he worries guys like that either hate the weight room, or might be worried extra muscle mass will screw up his technique.  But I imagine coaches know how to deal with that if that's the case

Probably the best news after this draft for any OL who isn't a starter right now is Tom Bergstrom, as right now he's the Redskins best bet as a backup center.  We didn't get a left guard, but the Skins are going to have totake some steps with the players we have even before we can get to competition.  Right now the players we have who can play the position are Arie Kouandijo, Ty Nsekhe, TJ Clemmings, Orlando Franklin, Kyle Kalis, Tyler Catelina.  Some people are gong to have tobe told they aren't getting the shot just to have enough reps to judge a player.  Early to judge roster size, but after last year, I can see the Skins going with ten guys at this position again

I think our two sevenths may be more about punt returns than anything else right now, But Quinn does play the slot, meaning he could replace Crowder

Releasing Clemmings make little sense unless someone they picked up as a UDFA makes this roster. We have major injury history across the O-line and if Nsekhe moves inside you have virtually no depth at the OT position. There's a reasons Clemmings got money this year and he has no future contract with us beyond 2018 at this moment so cap space isn't an issue. The rookie Christian is mad raw and shouldn't be on the field this year.

7 hours ago, Rocky52Mc said:

Releasing Clemmings make little sense unless someone they picked up as a UDFA makes this roster. We have major injury history across the O-line and if Nsekhe moves inside you have virtually no depth at the OT position. There's a reasons Clemmings got money this year and he has no future contract with us beyond 2018 at this moment so cap space isn't an issue. The rookie Christian is mad raw and shouldn't be on the field this year.

Clemmings was waived last year so the Skins picked up his contract, he's still on his Vikings rookie deal.  Some starters do backup at other positions no Nsekhe could do that.  Also the Skins picked up Orlando Franklin, a guy who's been a starter everywhere he's been and it's possible having most of the year off could let some of the injuries he's had heal up.  Plus on vet minimum he's cheaper than Clemmings

At this point, I suspect that Redskins Park will thoroughly sift through the June 1 cuts for a stopgap Guard.  Hell, they might even get somebody good.

Who are the likeliest names primed to get cut?  I don't know, but I have faith that some ESers around here do.

19 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

I'm happy to dump Hood and the McReplacements. Entire line could be guys we've drafted. 

I think they probably keep Hood for locker room leadership - especially with all the new guys. And he can still be productive in a back-up role. He is also not that expensive. Now after this year all bets are off. But I can see a solid case made for keeping him.

The other two should be gone. They took a shot on them and it didn't work. So they are going another route. Since their replacements are on rookie deals already accounted for it's worth the dead cap to move on from there guys and let the young learn. No June 1st cuts either. Take the hit now as it doesn't hurt you. 

I have been down on the FO and rightfully so. But they have had a pretty decent off-season - buoyed by a good draft. The next is can the admit mistakes and move on from them? You can argue they did that with Kirk by moving on from him instead of tagging him again or finding some other way to drag the saga on. Not starting a Kirk conversation. Only making the comment as it pertains the point of them admitting mistakes and moving on. If they have, McGee and McClain should be gone now. Good organizations make mistakes. They just tend to recognize the mistakes and move on from them quicker than other organizations.  

9 hours ago, JoggingGod said:

Norman is gone regardless next year 

How do you figure that? He is currently under contract for next year. They may try to restructure him. But why release him? I know people are down on him because of the end of the year. But the guy was injured and playing through it. He is still an elite player when healthy. Really would not make sense to cut him after this year.

Now 2020? That's a different story. 

I really agree with keeping Hood because looking at the Skins roster for DL besides the five we all expect to keep(and McClain who we don't) we have: Tavaris Barnes, AJ Francis, Hood, Montori Hughes, McGee, Ondre Pimkins, and Phil Taylor

I believe Hughes, Pimkins and Taylor are just NT, Francis can do both but has never managed to get into a roster rotation regularly, Barnes is a DE you can say the same about

So Hood is the right combo of experienced, cheap and versatile for the last DL spot

Defensive Line (barring injury) - Allen, Ioannidis, Payne (rookie), Settle (rookie) are locks.  Lanier has shown potential as a pass rushing DE and he's only 24 so I expect him to make the roster.  That leaves one roster spot maybe two if the Skins take a roster slot from some other position group.  Hood is 31 but can play NT and DE.  Phil Taylor is a 30 yo NT that hasn't seen the field for three years.  McLain 29 and McGee 28 didn't live up to their contracts.  The remaining players are JAGs that need to make a Ioannidis leap to make the roster.  Please no injuries.  It's good that the Skins roster is at the point where their cut downs make other teams' rosters.

Offensive Line - Skins need a LG and it's not Koundijio (IMO).    

We took the guarantee out of McClain deal for this year so he's seriously on the bubble. I could see him and/or McGee getting restructures or traded for conditional picks at roster cut time. Maybe earlier.

Otherwise cap shape is good. I'd still consider Hankins to be honest. Our DL would be stacked with young talent, and under contract for years. 

I think we consider a vet LG or LB, Boone and Bowman would be my choices at limited impact on cap space impact.

3 minutes ago, UK SKINS FAN '74 said:

We took the guarantee out of McClain deal for this year so he's seriously on the bubble. I could see him and/or McGee getting restructures or traded for conditional picks at roster cut time. Maybe earlier.

Otherwise cap shape is good. I'd still consider Hankins to be honest. Our DL would be stacked with young talent, and under contract for years. 

I think we consider a vet LG or LB, Boone and Bowman would be my choices at limited impact on cap space impact.

No, Hankins!

Seriously, even though he'd probably help us this year. I think it's much better for this unit to start growing together. I don't think I'd want Hankins now for Vet Min + Incentives (especially, as a one season rental)

I agree with most of what has been said here. I would imagine McClain is gone. I would actually prefer Mcgee to Hood. He is a better player and played much better later in the season as he got used to the system. And he isnt expensive as far as DL go. Keep him this year for a vet presence in the locker room and you can cut ties next off season when the two rooks have a full season under their belts. 

I also agree that we will most likely be filling the LG hole with a training camp cut if Nsekhe cant man the position. 

5 hours ago, Bonez3 said:

Christian is completely picked for years 2 and beyond. This is a complete training and transition year. Hopefully he can deliver when coached up. This is how you team build.

This is my one concern with him.  You can’t really risk cutting him (for the PS) if he’s behind the curve, but we only have so many olinemen we can carry.  I suppose if Nsheke wins the LG battle and one of our tackles is injured, you move Nsheke outside and plug in your backup guard.  So in effect, Christian is your emergency 4th tackle.  

13 minutes ago, clskinsfan said:

I agree with most of what has been said here. I would imagine McClain is gone. I would actually prefer Mcgee to Hood. He is a better player and played much better later in the season as he got used to the system. And he isnt expensive as far as DL go. Keep him this year for a vet presence in the locker room and you can cut ties next off season when the two rooks have a full season under their belts. 

I also agree that we will most likely be filling the LG hole with a training camp cut if Nsekhe cant man the position. 

ideally though your sixth DL won't spend much time playing and Hood can do that with for even less

4 minutes ago, skinny21 said:

This is my one concern with him.  You can’t really risk cutting him (for the PS) if he’s behind the curve, but we only have so many olinemen we can carry.  I suppose if Nsheke wins the LG battle and one of our tackles is injured, you move Nsheke outside and plug in your backup guard.  So in effect, Christian is your emergency 4th tackle.  

I honestly think after last year the Skins might keep 10 OL.  Of course like I've said, if you have a guy who has good technique but needs strength in the NFL that might end up being something that changes quickly

2 hours ago, skinny21 said:

No chance of being placed on PS or cut. He’s gonna be rotated in quite a bit this year in fact. But, it’s still a developmental year

So, if I'm reading the original post author correctly, we have a good amount of cap space still available to possibly grab a post June 1st guard and possibly even another player? The Skins front office has shown a great deal of patience and discipline over the past 3 years by not getting caught up in the big dollar free agent frenzy. Would it be worth going after CJ Anderson to pair with Guice and CT to really solidify this backfield or are there just not enough carries there? Given our injuries last year in the backfield I feel like we can't have enough quality RB's....Or, is it more cost effective to just roll with Fat Rob? 

I still can't believe we got Guice that late...can't wait to see him run with a chip on his shoulder. 

Offensive Line:

Trent Williams T (29)

Morgan Moses T (27)

Ty Nsekhe T (32)

Brandon Scherff RG (26)

Geron Christian T (rookie)

Chase Roullier C (24)

Skins won't want Christian to play during the regular season.  He's purely a backup.  If Nsekhe winds up being the backup swing Tackle then Christian will never be activated during the season.  If the Skins carry 9 OL then that leaves three positions - the starting LG; and ideally two backup G/C.  Or one backup G and one backup C.

Kyle Kalis 24 - was an undrafted free agent and the Skins have been trying to develop.  I think we will see some of him during the preseason.  

After Kalis there are a bunch of guys:  Balducci, Bergstrom, Catalina G, Clemmings T, Franklin, Jefferson, Kling, Kouandijo G, and Rhaney C. If Nsekhe stays as the reserve Tackle (and Christian doesn't look hopeless) then I think none of the tackles from the list will make the final roster.  It's hard to tell among the G/C because so many players were moved in and out last season. 

4 hours ago, clskinsfan said:

I see what you are saying but for me whoever is that last Dline will not play much. Hood has been here much longer and knows the coaches better - and has their trust more. It's close. I would not be upset if they kept McGee over Hood. Just for me there is a slight edge to Hood right now. 

I think there is no doubt they will be scouring cuts for a LG. But I also think Callahan believes he can go with who he has if they can;t find someone. Will be interesting to see what that is. 

I would not be surprised if they move T Williams to LG and Ty to LT. Williams has been banged up the last few yrs - especially last year. Nsekhe doesn't have as much wear and tear on him even though he is older. Or it could be someone we never thought possible...  :-)  Looking forward to TC. 

Ironically, I think the kicker shouldn't be on field production, but study and practice habits. Whoever is the vet that stays ought to be the NFL D lineman who can best show (by example) what it takes to be a successful NFL player in terms of work, habits, and discipline. He may not play as much, but he should be that guy that the other players look at and see killing themselves to get better and always doing everything right.

I want the better example, not necessarily the better player.

17 hours ago, carex said:

Clemmings was waived last year so the Skins picked up his contract, he's still on his Vikings rookie deal.  Some starters do backup at other positions no Nsekhe could do that.  Also the Skins picked up Orlando Franklin, a guy who's been a starter everywhere he's been and it's possible having most of the year off could let some of the injuries he's had heal up.  Plus on vet minimum he's cheaper than Clemmings

I guess I'm just not sure what you're implying by cutting Clemmings. He's on the roster, there's plenty of room for the rookie deals, so why are you trying to save Dan's money this year? Clemmings is more valuable on the roster than off of it considering what we have. 

8 hours ago, kingdaddy said:

So, if I'm reading the original post author correctly, we have a good amount of cap space still available to possibly grab a post June 1st guard and possibly even another player? The Skins front office has shown a great deal of patience and discipline over the past 3 years by not getting caught up in the big dollar free agent frenzy. Would it be worth going after CJ Anderson to pair with Guice and CT to really solidify this backfield or are there just not enough carries there? Given our injuries last year in the backfield I feel like we can't have enough quality RB's....Or, is it more cost effective to just roll with Fat Rob? 

I still can't believe we got Guice that late...can't wait to see him run with a chip on his shoulder. 

The reason I was clamoring for that LG position is that in the NFL, if you have a quality lineman at every position, it doesn't matter who's back there. A guy like Rob Kelley is an easy 4.0+ YPC back. I'm not mad at all about the Guice pick, but we should have pursued a real LG that we've been lacking competitive play at since before Dockery and Pete Kendall. Considering that player is on the field for every offensive snap, it's a no-brain'er.

Archived