Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

What do you Believe??? (Religion)

Renegade7

What is your religious affiliation???  

109 members have voted

1. 1. What does your belief system fall under???

• Monotheistic
    • Non-Monotheistic
    • Agnostic
    • Athiest
    • I don't know right now
    • I don't care right now

2 hours ago, grego said:

Not a popular sentiment, but unquestionably true (just ask them) - I think calling people who disagree with you 'stupid' (among other things) may have been the biggest factor. 

I don’t call everyone who disagrees with me, “stupid”. Some of them have perfectly valid points so you have to call them something else like fat or ugly.

I kid, I kid... but seriously, there seems to be some generalizing going on in this thread with regard to how we should treat people who we disagree with. The real answer is, “it depends.” If someone disagrees with me on which flavor of ice cream is best, they get treated a lot differently than if they are disagreeing with me about whether or not it’s ok to hate black people.

When somebody reveals themself to be an exceptional ass and an idiot of the highest magnitude, you either ignore them or you slap them down with the proverbial schlong of righteousness. Unfortunately, it seems that ignoring them and expecting them to go away is no longer a winning strategy.

I admire the optimism some of you have in believing you can have a reasonable conversation with Bowie. It is extremely misguided though... I’m as certain of it as I am about how you could never succeed running the triple option in the NFL. It’s going to be about as fruitful as trying to have a reasonable conversation with the Cleveland steamer that my dog left on the rug this morning. I’m glad we’re trying though if for no other reason, than so that we can confirm I was correct all along.

Edited by Sacks 'n' Stuff
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, thinwhiteduke said:

I did 2 times  already. I explained the ultimate definition of a belief. All you have is a belief. Reading something that says it's true, doesn't make it so. Just because you can connect locations and dates with a bible, doesn't prove that diety walked the earth. You need to focus on the whole of my previous  post anyway.its more profound than anything you've read in a while.learn to think for yourself for once.

How can he have something that you say isn't real or doesn't exist?

• Thanks 1

well.... after being on this site for over 15 years, i blocked my first person on Extremeskins today.

this person is either a troll, or a complete moron... but in either case the same repetitive mindless drivel repeated over and over and over is 

just

such

a

bore.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Llevron said:

I'm sure it didn't help. But it also doesn't make it not true. It was stupid. Period. It shouldn't have been tolerated like it wasn't. There was NO reason to validate them or this guy at all past the fact that it is stupid. And its not his opinion im calling stupid, I actually think there is validity to it (ask me, its a fun topic and one I have explored on many of occasions while high as ****). But the way he presents his arguments as 'you cant understand me because you are not smart enough and i just blew your mind" is ****ing asinine and I honestly cant believe you people are letting him get away with it. Again, had we called out this stupid **** 2 years ago we would be in a much better place. I dont care if its not nice. 

I feel what yall are saying. I guess I just disagree it should be tolerated further. But at this point, im more of a distraction than he is so ill leave it alone. 

i hear ya. i was talking more about your reference to the election than the poster, but i gotcha.

54 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

More then fair.

It’s all gravy. I ain’t mad at you for disagreeing with me. I totally respect other people’s right to be wrong.

It would seem that McSluggo is less forgiving than I am though. Just let me know if you want me to relay an apology to him on your behalf. He can still see my posts.

1 hour ago, Sacks 'n' Stuff said:

I don’t call everyone who disagrees with me, “stupid”. Some of them have perfectly valid points so you have to call them something else like fat or ugly.

I kid, I kid... but seriously, there seems to be some generalizing going on in this thread with regard to how we should treat people who we disagree with. The real answer is, “it depends.” If someone disagrees with me on which flavor of ice cream is best, they get treated a lot differently than if they are disagreeing with me about whether or not it’s ok to hate black people.

When somebody reveals themself to be an exceptional ass and an idiot of the highest magnitude, you either ignore them or you slap them down with the proverbial schlong of righteousness. Unfortunately, it seems that ignoring them and expecting them to go away is no longer a winning strategy.

I admire the optimism some of you have in believing you can have a reasonable conversation with Bowie. It is extremely misguided though... I’m as certain of it as I am about how you could never succeed running the triple option in the NFL. It’s going to be about as fruitful as trying to have a reasonable conversation with the Cleveland steamer that my dog left on the rug this morning. I’m glad we’re trying though if for no other reason, than so that we can confirm I was correct all along.

i agree. i was thinking more of how he could be more effective. when it comes to a religious discussion like this, one can think a set of ideas is stupid, but still have constructive disagreement. if you take the word or the idea of 'religion' out of it, and focus on beliefs as just that- a set of ideas, or specific ideas within belief systems- the conversation is bound to be more productive. 

a great example of conversation going off the rails due to a poor choice of words is sam harris infamously saying a religion was the 'motherlode of bad ideas'. that instantly caused people to retreat to their corners because all people within any religion obviously do not believe all of the things associated with a religion. he was talking about specific ideas within religion, but it came off as generalizing about all members of a religion. 

of course, this is if your goal (dukes goal) is conversation. if you just want to inflame, insults and generalizations work well :)

6 minutes ago, Llevron said:

This is why he blocked you 

Screw you guys. I’m blocking all of you. I’m gonna be my own little Omega Man on this forum from now on and I’ll be a whole lot happier.

edit: Can someone tell me how to like my own posts?

• Haha 2

5 minutes ago, Sacks 'n' Stuff said:

Obviously. That’s why it was a joke, man. I thought you Brits were into that dry humor. I saw Chicken Run.

Come on man. That dude is from NOVA. 

7 minutes ago, mcsluggo said:

nobody that has read this thread (and other threads here for the last month or so) thinks that i blocked @Renegade7

that is all.

I knew it was me. Racist Virginians. 

1 minute ago, Sacks 'n' Stuff said:

Screw you guys. I’m blocking all of you. I’m gonna be my own little Omega Man on this forum from now on and I’ll be a whole lot happier.

Speed on before you get peed on. 

1 minute ago, Sacks 'n' Stuff said:

Really? Well who’s from England then?

90% of the folks in the soccer thread. perhaps more than 90%. 

6 minutes ago, Sacks 'n' Stuff said:

edit: Can someone tell me how to like my own posts?

Join forces with the thinwhite...

This is fun, but this ain't the Random Thought thread.  The discussion of how to deal with people that think your ideas are stupid and being disrespectful about it was worth it, though.

4 minutes ago, Sacks 'n' Stuff said:

Also, anybody who said they believe in God thinking about changing your vote after reading the last three pages?

Not even close. This thread has given more depth to my beliefs, making them stronger.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

Ok so let me try to cover up my mess and help get this thread back on topic...

I am a 37 year old man. who grew up in a society with no religion... we don’t believe in God. We don’t believe there’s no god. We don’t talk about God at all and the concept is completely foreign to me.  How would you convince me that there’s a God?

23 minutes ago, Sacks 'n' Stuff said:

How would you convince me that there’s a God?

That's a tough question because I don't like doing that, either, same as twa.

My closest friend has read the Bible front to back not once, but twice, because he has had time while he was in Jail.  He has far less faith in it then I do, so I can't just tell you to "read the book and get back to me".  What I can tell you is to read it anyway so you're sure what you're dealing with versus getting that opinion souly from other people (that's what I'm trying to do, and a sure fire failure of some people I've met that say they have more faith then I do). Getting just half-way through Matthews changed my perspective on things a lot, because there's so much in there that makes sense that doesn't require belief in God or Jesus being his son to agree with.

There are few things worse in my opinion then having sure fire faith in something that you don't understand.  In regards to faith, I'll need to get back to you on that.  I have plenty of examples in my own life, but that's because I'm looking for them (a lot of people aren't, so of course that's not going to make sense to them).