Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Game of Thrones Season 8

Voice_of_Reason

1 hour ago, gbear said:

How does the red wedding not rate in the most memorable scenes?

It's just not one of the ones that pops to mind immediately, which is odd, I grant you.  There are A LOT of memorable scenes, I just listed the 5 that come to mind first...  

1 hour ago, Momma There Goes That Man said:

1. Lyanna/Ned with Jon reveal - The most important moment in the entire series. T

It's definitely the most important scene.  And it's a great scene. The cut between the baby and Jon is fantastic.  

2. Tyrion's trial and speech - My second favorite moment in the show. Just the defeated and almost regretful way Tyrion realizes that the same people he saved will always see him as some evil little monster. His dialogue both lashing out at the crowd and at Tywin was heartbreaking and powerful. He's carrying the weight of a lifetime of pain in this scene. The trial by combat declaration while the Rains of Castamere plays...goosebumps. The scene speaks for itself. 

We both had this one.  It might be my favorite scene in the entire run of the show, and it very well be my favorite episode, though that's a tough call.  It didn't have quite the enormity of some of the other great episodes....

3. Daenerys emerging from the fire with dragons. Sadly, I can't post the video due to the nudity. 

It is sad you can't post the video, and it is a great scene, and Emilia Clarke nude is always memorable.  

4. The Red Wedding - I got into GoT late and I remember being on twitter some random night when everybody collectively lost their **** over like 30 people being killed on a show and the something about a Red Wedding and all this basically shutting down and breaking social media for several hours. 

For whatever reason, maybe it's that I never cared for Rob Stark, his wife or his mother as a characters (which is a bit odd), the Red Wedding, while I understood the significance in the show, didn't quite hit me the way it hit some others.  

5. The Massacre in the Reach -

Drogon landing in the field was one of the most epic moments in television history. You're right, the CG is remarkable.  

14 minutes ago, PF Chang said:

I loved Hardhome, probably because the books aren't there yet. The very end, with the NIght's King raising the dead and staring at Jon Snow's boat slowly drifting away. 

I'm typically not a huge fantasy person. I LOVE Game of Thrones, but honestly, the parts that I like most are some of the non-fantasy aspects. Though I do like Dragons.  :)

So for me, 2 of the most beloved episodes of the show, The Door and Hardhome, are just not quite as impactful as episodes like The Laws of Gods and Men, The Mountain and the Viper, Battle of the ****s and Winds of Winter to me. 

It's preference.  I do acknowledge how awesome they episodes are, and there are cool moments in each.  

To each their own.  

• Like 1

Ned Stark's beheading is the most memorable and impactful scene in Game of Thrones. It shows the world that ANYONE can die(everyone who didn't read the book assumed Ned was the main character and would be around the whole time)and it basically starts the series of events that the entire show is based around.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

I'm typically not a huge fantasy person. I LOVE Game of Thrones, but honestly, the parts that I like most are some of the non-fantasy aspects. Though I do like Dragons.  :)

So for me, 2 of the most beloved episodes of the show, The Door and Hardhome, are just not quite as impactful as episodes like The Laws of Gods and Men, The Mountain and the Viper, Battle of the ****s and Winds of Winter to me. 

"The Door" confirmed time travel. Never realized how many people hate that and are essentially in denial about it. GRRM told D&D about Hodor's origin and still on Reddit half of the people insist it will be different in the books. 

• Like 1

The Winds of Winter is the best episode in the series for me and it is the best episode in TV history as well. The episode is packed from top to bottom with one great scene or moment after another. Since i know you are requesting it, I'll recap....

The opening with Cersei's trial and the Light of the Seven soundtrack playing leading up to the Sept being destroyed was something only the best shows could pull of for a season ending scene. This was Michael Corleone settling all family business at the end of the Godfather. Then we basically go right into the torture of the Nun Unella.

Before we can even catch out breath, Tommen commits suicide.

We get a classic GOT scene of dialogue at the Twins with Bronn, Jaime and Walder Frey. We establish that we like Bronn and Jaime and Frey is still a piece of feces. 

We get an introduction to the Citadel, a new and storied city in the world. This scene also confirms with the white ravens being released that Winter has finally come to Westeros. 

This leads into Davos confronting Melissandre about killing the Shireen. A great Davos scene. He kills it here. 

We get a scene with Sansa and Jon finally taking a minute to try to unite while remembering Ned over the acknowledgement that Winter. Father always promised, didn't he?

Next we go to Dorne (yawn) but we see an alliance with Olenna and the Sand Snakes and oh my god, is that Varys' music! Now we have finally have an alliance for Daenerys and Westerosi support. 

Dharrio gets dumped. Can't say I'm sad. Then Tyrion is crowned Hand of the Queen in a beautiful scene. 

Then we get the death of Walder Frey. Finally this disgusting rat ****er dies and at the hands of a Arya Stark. This is just an awesome and extremely satisfying scene. 

We finally get a look at what Littlefinger is actually after. Like so many others, he wants the iron throne and he wants Sansa at his side. He tries to sink his claws into her but is not successful. Sets up next season for him pretty well as he will continue.

Next, we get the previously mentioned and most important moment in the series with the Jon Snow/Lyanna reveal followed by Jon's King in the North coronation. I love when he stands and looks at Sansa almost in disbelief at the moment. Born a ****, with nothing, giving up any chance he had a life for the Watch, literally dying and now here being crowned a King. 

This scene is followed by Cersei being named Queen and taking the Iron Throne. Wow. This scene is simple yet outstanding. Love the score on this one too.

Finally we finish up with another great finish, Daenerys and her massive fleet and all her armies and alliances sailing to Westeros after 6 long seasons. 

• Like 2

1. Naked lady in the fire. I saw that while flipping through channels and said, "What the **** is that?" The next day, my wife and I binged like 8 episodes.

2. Drunk lady blowing up the church. That may be the most beautifully shot and edited sequence in the history of television. I was frankly losing interest in the show at that point, and that pulled me back in.

3. Ned loses his head. That one lost the impact on me, because I knew it was coming since I watched after the first season and the 1 million GOT think pieces.

4.Tyrion defends King's Landing. That's probably the one episode I've rewatched the most, because the simple fact that a tv show could do that blew me away. I'm basically counting the final 45 minutes of that episode. His exchange with Bron before the battle is my favorite interaction between them, which is saying a lot.

5. Snow King javelining dragon. Again, I was sort of losing interest and then that happened.

Honorable mention: whatever was the first scene that spoiled something for book readers. I want everything spoiled. I want you to live your entire lives and never see another book.

Edited by Lombardi's_kid_brother

2 hours ago, PF Chang said:

"The Door" confirmed time travel. Never realized how many people hate that and are essentially in denial about it. GRRM told D&D about Hodor's origin and still on Reddit half of the people insist it will be different in the books. 

The whole Bran/3 Eyed Raven plot honestly just bores me.  I know it's important to the story, but it's just not my cup of tea.  A fireproof lady emerging naked after burning a sacred temple and taking control of a horde or marauding savages?  And then hops on a dragon to go burn an entire army to the ground? That's more the fantasy I like...  

56 minutes ago, Lombardi's_kid_brother said:

Honorable mention: whatever was the first scene that spoiled something for book readers. I want everything spoiled. I want you to live your entire lives and never see another book.

Seriously, your hatred of book readers is something to behold.  I've never read the books.

Did one of them use a book to murder your dog or something? Jeez. 

2 hours ago, Momma There Goes That Man said:

The Winds of Winter is the best episode in the series for me and it is the best episode in TV history as well. The episode is packed from top to bottom with one great scene or moment after another. Since i know you are requesting it, I'll recap....

It's hard to disagree. Though I really just love the episode with Tyrion on trial.  That might be the best acted episode of the show.  If I remember, there's very little action, it's mostly conversations, and great conversations between great actors.

Winds of Winter is probably better overall, but to me it's close. 

As far as best ever on TV, for me, there are a few episodes of The West Wing, particularly 2 Cathedrals, which are hard to top.  

Edited by Voice_of_Reason
  • Like 1

By the way, from the winds of winter episode there were some interesting interactions and reactions in those scenes as well. Arya in disguise chatting up Jaime and Bronn at the Twins, Little Finger watching and exchanging looks with Sansa during the King in the North scene, and Jaime coming home to see Cersei crowning herself.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Momma There Goes That Man said:

Haven't heard anything, can you elaborate? 

Not that I really care, I’m not a book reader, but o did a quick google search and found GRRM has made numerous, conflicting comments about release dates over the past few months.

I personally think we’ll see Winds drop right around the same time s season 8 debuts, just so Martin can try and steal some attention back. 

4 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

Not that I really care, I’m not a book reader, but o did a quick google search and found GRRM has made numerous, conflicting comments about release dates over the past few months.

I personally think we’ll see Winds drop right around the same time s season 8 debuts, just so Martin can try and steal some attention back. 

That would be a start. Still a long ways off. I’m not a book reader but I do want to read them if he ever finishes 

7 minutes ago, Momma There Goes That Man said:

That would be a start. Still a long ways off. I’m not a book reader but I do want to read them if he ever finishes 

You not being a book reader is somewhat surprising, for some reason...

And that’s meant as a compliment. You seem to know a lot of the back story and stuff, I assumed you also read the books..

————————————

Btw, Binge Mode was Time magazine’s best podcast of the year.

If you’re a GoT fan, book, show or both, it’s worth a listen.  It’s a commitment, but it’s a great listen...  they have a show per episode...

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

Btw, Binge Mode was Time magazine’s best podcast of the year.

Thanks. Binge Mode, particularly the Citadel portion of it, is where about 90% of my book knowledge comes from. They are fantastic. i check them out for their movie podcasts as well. 

They are doing another GOT style deep-dive into the Harry Potter books and movies this spring too

Edited by Momma There Goes That Man
  • Like 1

31 minutes ago, Momma There Goes That Man said:

Thanks. Binge Mode, particularly the Citadel portion of it, is where about 90% of my book knowledge comes from. They are fantastic. i check them out for their movie podcasts as well. 

They are doing another GOT style deep-dive into the Harry Potter books and movies this spring too

Just finished their recap of Billions, which I also watch.  I haven’t really been a marvel guy so some of the weekly podcast are not really relevant to me.

i just finished re-reading Prisoner of Azkaban, started Goet of fire last night. I plan to finish all the books first then re-watch all the movies (now on HBO) before the Harry Potter pods drop.

I like both Mallory and Jason.  They really have outstanding chemistry.  Even if Mallory is a dirty Ravens fan, and Jason is an undying Nicks fan...

• Like 1

Prediction: All of Westeros is wiped out. Cersei is left sitting on the Iron Throne when the Night King confronts her. Cersei promptly gets naked and jumps the Night Kings frozen bones, spares her and takes her as his companion.

Cersei wins the Game of Thrones.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CRobi21 said:

Prediction: All of Westeros is wiped out. Cersei is left sitting on the Iron Throne when the Night King confronts her. Cersei promptly gets naked and jumps the Night Kings frozen bones, spares her and takes her as his companion.

Cersei wins the Game of Thrones.

Putting my comment in spoiler tags because it is something which might be considered a spoiler even though it has absolutely nothing to do with plot.  Just casting info....

Spoiler

Cersei’s body double has been reported as being on set, so this is ... plausible.

I just finished watching Season 7 (yeah real late in the game I know). Other than Episode 4, which was really great, I was surprisingly dissapointed in it. Episode 6, which was supposed to be the action episode, didn't really quite deliver. And then Episode 7 goes over a ton of stuff we KNEW already: Jon Snow is actually the legitimate son of Rhegar and Lyanna -- yeah we knew that. Daenerys Dragons was resurrected by the Night King and now serves the Army of the Dead -- we knew that already from Episode 6.

Honestly the best seasons so far are the ones that mirrored the best books -- namely season 3 and season 4. Since Season 4, we just haven't had an episode or season that has really delivered the goods (with the exception perhaps of the first reveal that Jon Snow was Rhegar and Lyanna's son -- that was unexpected and pretty cool). 

I'm pretty sure Season 8 will live up to its gigantic expectations, but I have to say, seasons 5, 6 and 7 have basically seen the story not far from just treading water. Show needs to wake up a little.

Edited by Mournblade

I thought 5, 6 were great. 7 has some fantastic episodes and great moments but was the worst season of the series to me.

The biggest flaws I had with it were the travel times skipping around and that the major plot involved a ridiculously stupid plan to capture a wight to convince Cersei. That was just dumb on about a hundred different levels. That said, I’m greatly concerned about season 8 but also hoping that season 7 flaws were the necessary evil to get all the pieces in place for a great finish. After all, it’s been reported that a big problem GRRM has had during writing was getting all the pieces/Characters together with legitimate reasons that make sense and in a place to wrap things up for the final two books. 

1 hour ago, Mournblade said:

And then Episode 7 goes over a ton of stuff we KNEW already: Jon Snowis actually the legitimate son of Rhegar and Lyanna -- yeah we knew that. Daenerys Dragons was resurrected by the Night King and now serves the Army of the Dead -- we knew that already from Episode 6.

Well, it was important that we see other characters realize these truths about Jon. Seeing the WW dragon in action tearing down the wall was pretty awesome too despite knowing the Night King has resurrected it. 

I didn't care for season 5, though it did have a few important things happen:

1. Hardhome - first real introduction to the Night King, and the army.  

2. Jon's murder - Though that did sortof become irrelevant by the 3rd episode of season 6. 

3. Dragons in action.  Drogon rescues Danny from the fighting pits.

Really, that's about all that happened, in my memory, in season 5, apart from a lot of characters traveling around a bunch.  There were some good scenes, sure.

But really, I see that season as the weakest by a mile of the series.

I personally liked Season 6, thought they got back on track a little bit, and there were 3 absolutely outstanding episodes in The Door, The Battle of the ****s and Winds of Winter.  There were some things which were a bit "eh" along the way, but I think those three episodes alone could carry just about any season.  One of my favorite characters is Sansa, and she had a great season, where she essentially stopped being a stupid girl and started being a real player. 

Season 7, the word that I have used to describe it is "spectacle."  I think the show runners got a little carried away with spectacle and CG, and minimized what really makes the show tick, which are the character interactions.  They broke a lot of the rules of space and time, and just put people where they were supposed to be in order to get the spectacle of, for example, a major sea battle, the gang of 13 + Dragons vs.the Night King  and the loot train "battle" (more of a massacre.)

There were some good character parts as well, the conversation between Olenna and Jamie before she drinks the poison was fantastic.  Seeing all of the major characters, Danny, Cercei and Jon plus all of their supporting cast in one place was amazing.  And the Bailesh death scene with Sansa and Arya was fantastic, as was the little chat they had a little later. 

I liked season 7, but I didn't love it.  The acting was really good because they have a good cast.  But I think they cared more about things like dragons, spectacular battles and a zombie polar bear than they should have.  (That zombie polar bear scene is the one I just absolutely hated.  Kinda pointless, took too long, and I would have taken Ghost following Jon into the north instead of that.) 

What I'm most looking forward to in Season 8 are the reunions of Jon and Arya, Sansa and Tyrion, Jamie and Tyrion, and Arya and Gendry.  I pray that they don't **** that up.  It should happen, because they're all converging or already at Winterfell.  Well, I guess we don't exactly know where Jamie is headed, but that's at least my guess.  

• Like 2

The problem with Season 7 is that it was Season 7, and going in, it felt like the overall story was at the midway point. This isn't a story that can just end with "And life goes on much in the same fashion" which is frankly how something like The Sopranos or even The Wire or Mad Men could have ended. Like, there needs to be an ultimate winner here (even though I'm not invested in who arbitrarly wins). If Tony dies in the finale, well, Carmela and the kids have to live without him, but Paulie Walnuts and whoever is left in the crew is still going to go the pork store tomorrow and figure out a way to keep the money flowing. If Tony doesn't die, he's going to go to the pork store tomorrow, but we just won't be there with him.

In that regard, GOT is not a TV series, but rather the longest miniseries in the history of mankind. Something significant has to happen at the end.

And the way the show was going, it needed another decade to get there. That's fine when you are writing a book and the characters are trapped in stasis until you revive them. But, I mean, if Peter Dinklage is hit by a bus or Kit Harrington decides that he's just bored, the tv show is screwed. It needs to end.

So, they needed to rush everything to a point where an ending was feasible.

• Like 2

On 3/6/2018 at 4:01 PM, ExoDus84 said:

I'd give Whorin' Robert B. a solid B+ actually. He may not have been a great ruler in the traditional sense,  but during his rule, the kingdom was in a state of continual peace. He presided over a long, prosperous summer, and was smart enough to put qualified people on his council. He was strong and respected enough for all seven kingdoms to be on their best behavior. Overall, solid king.

I'll also add, when rebellions broke out he stomped that **** out immediately. The Greyjoys tested him, and he put them down pretty soundly. 

1 hour ago, Lombardi's_kid_brother said:

The problem with Season 7 is that it was Season 7, and going in, it felt like the overall story was at the midway point. This isn't a story that can just end with "And life goes on much in the same fashion" which is frankly how something like The Sopranos or even The Wire or Mad Men could have ended. Like, there needs to be an ultimate winner here (even though I'm not invested in who arbitrarly wins). If Tony dies in the finale, well, Carmela and the kids have to live without him, but Paulie Walnuts and whoever is left in the crew is still going to go the pork store tomorrow and figure out a way to keep the money flowing. If Tony doesn't die, he's going to go to the pork store tomorrow, but we just won't be there with him.

In that regard, GOT is not a TV series, but rather the longest miniseries in the history of mankind. Something significant has to happen at the end.

And the way the show was going, it needed another decade to get there. That's fine when you are writing a book and the characters are trapped in stasis until you revive them. But, I mean, if Peter Dinklage is hit by a bus or Kit Harrington decides that he's just bored, the tv show is screwed. It needs to end.

So, they needed to rush everything to a point where an ending was feasible.

I honestly think that the biggest issue is that the Double D's spent 2 years-ish (in real time, not season time) waiting for GRRM to finish Winds of Winter so they could use it.  Season 5 is essentially 7 episodes of stall technique.  How many times did we see that guy go ask Danny to open the fighting pits?  Like 5 minutes in every episode...  They were just killing time trying to get to the next book.  Which never came, and still hasn't come, and might never come.  

Season 6 was was the first season (to my understanding, since I'm not a book reader) where there was significant content ahead of the books.  However, from what I've heard from the book-reading crowd, they still went back and used some content from earlier books to fill it out.  

My guess is that somewhere along the way, the Double D's got drunk and realized that they couldn't stall anymore, and they just shot ahead at light speed to try and get everybody into the right places, kill the characters they needed to kill to set up the ending.

They needed to get Danny, Jon and Cercei together in the same place, and they needed the wall to fall and get the Night King on the south side of the wall.  

So after twiddling their thumbs for a season and a half, they had to accelerate past the point of warp speed to get it all done, and it was somewhat jarring.

I think if GRRM had just dropped dead somewhere during the production of season 4, and they weren't waiting for book content for 2 years, the path would have actually been more linear.

That's just a hunch, though.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1