Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Bruce Allen/GM Thread

Makaveli

1. New conversation

John, the Redskins have not consistently won in nearly two decades. In your opinion, why is this so. #Jkmailbag

2. good question. came in after I was done. Short answer: when you hire well, you tend to win. W/Ls start at top. Key football hires: VC and BA. Has either worked? If I'm Snyder, I'm applying pressure this year. Need org philosophy/belief -- and hire right.

10 minutes ago, XtremeFan55 said:

Here is one guy who thinks Alex Smith underwhelms and the Redskins end up with the number one pick in the 2019 draft.   

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000923585/printable/quarterback-relocations-tyrod-taylor-kirk-cousins-set-to-soar

Just read it.  I guess the underpinning of the theory is the only thing the Redskins are above average at is the passing game.  QB-Oline-recievers.  Carr thinks Smith is a mismatch with Jay's system (so does Andy Benoit) coupled with him not having the weapons he had in KC.  So if the passing game goes south, what's left?

Personally, I think it will work out fine if they upgrade the defense and running game some.  Will see.  I think the worst team in the NFL is way harsh from Carr.  I think if the roster stays the way its currently constructed its an 8-8 roster.  But we got time and a draft coming.

My opinion.  If the Redskins finish 5-11 or below then they have no choice but to go into full rebuild phase.  That means they will have to start trading some of their valuable players for draft picks while keeping the younger players with potential such as Allen, Anderson and Scherff.

So...Reed..Kerrigan..and Trent Williams will have to become trade bait.  Reason for trading these players is that the window is closing on their careers and rather than holding onto them too long knowing it will be another 3-4 years before the Redskins become competitive again, they are better off being traded while still having value and plan for the future.  Load up on draft picks and reset once again.  

This means that Allen will have to go and the best talent evaluator will have to be hired as GM.  Allen will need to be completely released since even if he stayed as President he will still have too much power and control over the GM and will hamstring him.  Redskins will need to do what Cleveland is doing by filling up the football side of the FO with the best talent evaluators they can find and get.

But...sadly...I don’t see that happening.  

22 hours ago, XtremeFan55 said:

Here is one guy who thinks Alex Smith underwhelms and the Redskins end up with the number one pick in the 2019 draft.   

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000923585/printable/quarterback-relocations-tyrod-taylor-kirk-cousins-set-to-soar

I doubt it - but honestly it's the best "bad" outcome there is. If we aren't going to compete, we might as well be horrible and possibly start selling off some assets for value. 

On 4/2/2018 at 6:24 AM, Califan007 said:

I think they see him as a starter for 3 years, tops. If he's able to perform past that, great, but I'm not thinking they're relying on him doing so. Especially with a new CBA coming up in 3 years...Smith should keep the Skins competitive, I don't think Allen or Snyder could stomach languishing in the 4-12/5-11 abyss for the next 2-3 years like we experienced between 2009 to 2014. They probably are thinking the team stays competitive and, hey, with a few breaks here and there, you never know...one playoff season with at least one playoff win would generate a lot of good will for a year.

Sadly I think that's what they are banking on. They aren't trying to build a great team, they are hoping we can have a 2008 Cardinals or 2011 Giants type of season if our baseline is 8-8, we catch a few breaks, and we stay healthy. 

3 hours ago, Cliffmark1 said:

i think 8-8 is a ceiling and 3-13 is the floor. something in the middle is likely. maybe 6-10. 

I’d up that a little. 9-7 is the ceiling (10-6 is the gods bestowing miracles) with a 5-11 floor. 

I’d think the same if Cousins was still here. 

10 minutes ago, TD_washingtonredskins said:

I agree. Oddly this team finally has too much depth to really ever go 2-14. Last year kind of proved that. 

Bruce Allen: "Here hold my beer!!"  Never say never with this organization.  

22 minutes ago, TD_washingtonredskins said:

Honestly - that type of season would benefit the long-term goals of the franchise more than 6-10 to 9-7. 

I dunno. The Cleveland Browns have been picking 1st to third for twenty consecutive years. Blowing up the team doesn't really work in the NFL because one player rarely tells the story. A QB without an o line can't do anything. A world class pass rusher can't do it by himself. Etc.

The trick is getting the right support system with a good long term vision (front office) with the right coaching (X's & O's, plus teaching). I feel right now we have a D+/C- Front Office and a C/C+ coaching group. I do think that they can raise their grade. The front office pulled off a very nice draft last year. If they do it again, they might not be bums. Coaching too can climb, but right now, they are bumping their heads against a cast iron 8-8 ceiling. Until show they can put 8-8 in the rear view mirror, it's hard to see Gruden and company as better than C students.

10 minutes ago, Burgold said:

I dunno. The Cleveland Browns have been picking 1st to third for twenty consecutive years. Blowing up the team doesn't really work in the NFL because one player rarely tells the story. A QB without an o line can't do anything. A world class pass rusher can't do it by himself. Etc.

The trick is getting the right support system with a good long term vision (front office) with the right coaching (X's & O's, plus teaching). I feel right now we have a D+/C- Front Office and a C/C+ coaching group. I do think that they can raise their grade. The front office pulled off a very nice draft last year. If they do it again, they might not be bums. Coaching too can climb, but right now, they are bumping their heads against a cast iron 8-8 ceiling. Until show they can put 8-8 in the rear view mirror, it's hard to see Gruden and company as better than C students.

My point was larger than selecting in the top-5 of the draft. A bad season might shake up decision-makers and other people in the organization you've graded as a C+ or worse. Sometimes that's needed. 

4 minutes ago, TD_washingtonredskins said:

My point was larger than selecting in the top-5 of the draft. A bad season might shake up decision-makers and other people in the organization you've graded as a C+ or worse. Sometimes that's needed. 

Yeah. I still want it to work out, but neither group inspires much faith.

1 minute ago, Burgold said:

Yeah. I still want it to work out, but neither group inspires much faith.

Oh I do too. I just think that a year of us bottoming out would point me in the direction I need to think it's time for a change. On the same note, if we somehow were to have a 12-4 season and get to the NFC Championship Game, I would think it's time to double-down on this staff. 

Marshall Retweeted ProFootballTalk

Imagine that. They couldn't agree on a player's worth, so they flipped him for a 1st. Pats got more for Cooks than the Skins got for Cousins. Significantly more. Over it, but Allen needs to be forced out for Schaffer ASAP.

Marshall added,

ProFootballTalkVerified account @ProFootballTalk
From last night, Pats and Cooks tried to do a long-term deal last year; no timetable for a new contract in L.A. https://wp.me/p14QSB-aA3v 

This is my 2nd main beef with Bruce.  He's not a personnel guy and don't love the idea that he's in charge -- but I figured at the very least when he was hired he comes off professional and polished unlike Vinny.  So initially he gave the veneer of it being a professional looking operation.  But over the last 2 years with PR blunders, misstatements -- Bruce has IMO blown that veneer.  The team is again a national punch line like the Vinny years.  We had a good run where that went away but its again fashionable to goof on the Redskins. 

The Fan's @Russellmania621 to the Junkies just now. "Dan is furious with Bruce...he is very frustrated with the leadership of the organization and the constant embarrassments PR wise."

1 reply3 retweets3 likes

4 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

This is my 2nd main beef with Bruce.  He's not a personnel guy and don't love the idea that he's in charge -- but I figured at the very least when he was hired he comes off professional and polished unlike Vinny.  So initially he gave the veneer of it being a professional looking operation.  But over the last 2 years with PR blunders, misstatements -- Bruce has IMO blown that veneer.  The team is again a national punch line like the Vinny years.  We had a good run where that went away but its again fashionable to goof on the Redskins. 

The Fan's @Russellmania621 to the Junkies just now. "Dan is furious with Bruce...he is very frustrated with the leadership of the organization and the constant embarrassments PR wise."

1 reply3 retweets3 likes

Sadly, I feel like the issue here is that Dan doesn't know where to turn to replace him.  Bruce is ingrained in this whole stadium business which is basically how he stays employed.

Chris LingebachVerified account @ChrisLingebach
FollowingFollowing @ChrisLingebach
More

"Dan was very much in favor of getting a long-term deal done with Kirk Cousins," Russell goes on. If they don't win this year, or another "major episode" occurs, they'll reassign Bruce Allen "into the stadium development department with Eric Schaffer fully taking over."

7 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:
More

"Dan was very much in favor of getting a long-term deal done with Kirk Cousins," Russell goes on. If they don't win this year, or another "major episode" occurs, they'll reassign Bruce Allen "into the stadium development department with Eric Schaffer fully taking over."

As long as it's a public demotion, highlighting Bruce's failure as GM, I'm cool with this. 

6 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

As long as it's a public demotion, highlighting Bruce's failure as GM, I'm cool with this. 

I don't care if he's shamed as long as they fix the issue. For once, I wouldn't mind seeing someone gracefully removed from their duties in Ashburn without it becoming a tabloid-type event. 

Quietly demote him into a position that highlights his strengths (he does have some) and replace him with someone more qualified. 

46 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:
More

Hope this is true and then sadly hope we go 1-15.

35 minutes ago, TD_washingtonredskins said:

I don't care if he's shamed as long as they fix the issue. For once, I wouldn't mind seeing someone gracefully removed from their duties in Ashburn without it becoming a tabloid-type event. 

Quietly demote him into a position that highlights his strengths (he does have some) and replace him with someone more qualified. 

I agree with you that for once I'd like to see that, but Bruce doesn't deserve to be the start of graceful removal.

1 hour ago, Skinsinparadise said:
More

It's be the best thing that could happen to the Redskins, IMO.  Schaffer would basically keep doing what he's doing but would hand pick a true GM to run the team and ensure that the GM is doing his job well and properly.  It makes a TON of sense. :) 

47 minutes ago, Thinking Skins said:

If Bruce is fired and Eric takes over, I really wonder what his philosophy will be. He's been here under both Vinny and Bruce, but he's not a scout so will he side with the scouts, will he be a penny pincher, will he make good trades, etc?

That's definitely a wild card.  It wouldn't be ideal for me for Schaffer to take over.  But I'd like him over Bruce for two main reasons -- and granted I am going purely based on reputation.  Reputation wise he's classy and ultra competent.  That's not the vibe I get from Bruce on either count. 

Edit:  I just listened to the segment.  Part of the equation of frustration according to Russell is how Doug is portrayed as just a guy but not really with much power -- the way I took that is the Doug move had a PR element that supposedly was to offset the Scot firing.  That didn't happen.

I've said this before on different threads.  IMO Bruce's smug look on his face when Doug was announced in that press conference gave off the vibe to me is hey you guys don't like us for firing Scot -- fine but we topped it!  Here's the legendary lovable Doug in charge -- beat that!

I think they were surprised that it wasn't the PR hit they expected.   I forgot that Russell in another segment on a different day said he heard that Doug would have quit last year if he wasn't promoted.  So that would have been a bad PR look.

Archived