Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

WP - Heart? Check. Respect? Check. A season-saving win? For Redskins, that too.

HapHaszard

A worthy read by Jerry Brewer

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/redskins/heart-check-respect-check-a-season-saving-win-for-redskins-that-too/2017/11/05/2dd86996-c276-11e7-aae0-cb18a8c29c65_story.html

SEATTLE — Of course the football found DeAngelo Hall. Where else could it go? If the depleted Washington Redskins were going to win a game on guts and gall, it was only appropriate that Hall be the one to end it.

The 33-year-old cornerback turned safety hadn’t played a game in 14 months. Two of his past three seasons have been ruined because of injuries. Yet here he was, fresh off the physically unable to perform list and rushed into a starting role. And on the final play of the game, there was a Hail Mary pass, spiraling in his direction, and the 5-foot-10 Hall had to leap to compete with Seattle Seahawks wide receiver Tanner McEvoy, who is eight inches taller. As a pack of players fell to the ground in the end zone, so did the ball. Hall grabbed it, lifted it high into the chilly air and celebrated the darnedest thing that a Washington team low on luck but high on character has done all season.

Final score: Redskins 17, Seahawks 14.

click on the link for more

What a game!

I, nor most of the fanbase, believed the Redskins, with their plethora of injuries, had a snowball's chance in hell of even being competitive against the Seahawks, especially on the road in their stadium, where at times it reminded me of the ol' RFK, which then was filled with 99% Redskin fans with a few opponent fans sprinkled in here and there, and the rain/snow mix coming down.

What can one say? Seattle definitely did not overlook this team, they came to play. So did the Redskins. If there was a game ball to be given out, who should get one?  IMO, even as bad as it looked at times, the patchwork o-line did an amazing job considering the amount of injuries, in-game shuffling, going up against probably the most aggressive d-line in the league.

Cousins didn't take but a few chances in the game, he seemingly played a conservative, ball protecting game, not wanting to make a mistake.

But the gripe, if you could call it that, was that he, or Gruden, by design of the play, was playing as if they were going up against an average d-line, thus Cousins ended up being sacked 6 times, once for a safety to start the scoring.  It was clear and evident that Seattle was getting through the o-line, so why Gruden didn't call more 3 step quick design plays, I dunno, but KC was getting nailed quite a bit.

Defensively, what can you say? They played a great game. The team certainly does seem to play much better with Norman in, and with the return of DeAngelo Hall, it surprised me, and was glad to see him out there. Both defenses played great, but anyone who would call this game a dull boring low scoring game doesn't know anything about football. It had me on the edge of my seat the entire game, and when the 4th qtr came around, I was up and down, pacing like an expecting father.

Somehow they won, through fighting their guts out, a few big plays, and an overall fair game called by the refs.

If this defense can play at near this consistency every week, this team is headed in the right direction, but offensively, its only a flicker of what it could be, with a few better offensive players.

The coaching staff deserves a TON of credit.  They had these guys ready to rock.  2nd and 3rd string linemen coming in and doing what needed to be done.  Also, Kirk was solid as usual.  Hanging in the pocket and taking a shot in the face while throwing a perfect completion down the field to keep the drive going?  Pay that man.

54 minutes ago, skins island connection said:

What can one say? Seattle definitely did not overlook this team, they came to play. So did the Redskins. If there was a game ball to be given out, who should get one?  

There's only one answer here my friend, and it's not even close. 

One Zachary Brown gets the game ball.  He practically willed this win into existence with the pressure he put on Wilson all DAY. 

2 hours ago, skins island connection said:

What a game!

I, nor most of the fanbase, believed the Redskins, with their plethora of injuries, had a snowball's chance in hell of even being competitive against the Seahawks, especially on the road in their stadium, where at times it reminded me of the ol' RFK, which then was filled with 99% Redskin fans with a few opponent fans sprinkled in here and there, and the rain/snow mix coming down.

Now hold on.  I certainly appreciate what you're saying (and yes, it is true), but I had believed from the outset that we would Win yesterday.

I know, everybody says that, so here's the proof http://bit.ly/2y5LAUZ

My thinking beforehand way exactly this: these Redskins are a tough, gritty bunch that fights tooth-and-nail to the whistle.  And even in the midst of a calamitous string of injuries, I believed they'd go to Seattle and Beat them Seahawks- because they have too much pride & pluck to let The Season wash away in this fashion. 

The Redskins are ooodles tougher than they're given credit for.  And that's from their own fans!  

The Raiders game was no fluke.  This Team is that good!  And I don't care if I'm the only one saying it.

(I know your remarks weren't disparaging @skins island connection.  And this wasn't an attack on you.  I just had to get that outta my system--please excuse)

7 hours ago, Diehard Otis said:

Now hold on.  I certainly appreciate what you're saying (and yes, it is true), but I had believed from the outset that we would Win yesterday.

I know, everybody says that, so here's the proof http://bit.ly/2y5LAUZ

My thinking beforehand way exactly this: these Redskins are a tough, gritty bunch that fights tooth-and-nail to the whistle.  And even in the midst of a calamitous string of injuries, I believed they'd go to Seattle and Beat them Seahawks- because they have too much pride & pluck to let The Season wash away in this fashion. 

The Redskins are ooodles tougher than they're given credit for.  And that's from their own fans!  

The Raiders game was no fluke.  This Team is that good!  And I don't care if I'm the only one saying it.

(I know your remarks weren't disparaging @skins island connection.  And this wasn't an attack on you.  I just had to get that outta my system--please excuse)

Its all good , I wasn't trying to point a finger at anyone or call anyone out; hec, I predicted they would lose.

I was only saying there were many who didn't think they would be able to be competitive, much less win, ' up there ' .  Honestly, the way things shaped out in the past, it sure looked on paper they would have a bad day.

9 hours ago, LetThePointsSoar said:

There's only one answer here my friend, and it's not even close. 

One Zachary Brown gets the game ball.  He practically willed this win into existence with the pressure he put on Wilson all DAY. 

No argument from me; the 'Zac Attack' was in his own beast mode yesterday.

I know KC got sacked quite a bit, but a lot of them were him holding the ball too long, but considering the o-line was held together by thread and scotch tape, they played really well yesterday, especially against the Seahawk's d-line. I was impressed. It may not have looked too pretty, but when they needed it, they got the job done, just enough to help the team get a win.

1 hour ago, USS Redskins said:

Great game... hope they can add to the wins...

MVP - Seattle kicker who cost them 9 pts. Thanks brother!!!

Yeah I had to give their kicker my MVP vote right after I gave it to Doctson for being clutch.  He makes those kicks and we're not talking about having heart, gut check and all of that.

It was good to see us finally take a W if an opponent is trying to give it away.  I've seen games when opponents play poorly and try to give the game away and then we mess around and give it right back.  That wasnt the case yesterday. 

Some games you dominate, some games, you're fighting tooth and nail, and some games are laid out there for you like a gift to take.  Its good to see we're learning how to take advantage of opportunities.

6 hours ago, USS Redskins said:

MVP - Seattle kicker who cost them 9 pts. Thanks brother!!!

If he had made just one of them, we would have either gone into OT, or they would have beaten us by the safety.

Seahawks - 5

Redskins - 10

Seahawks first TD - 11... and then they would try for the 2 points to tie it up if we kick a FG. First conversion fail... still 11

Seahawks second TD - 17... but this time they kick a one pointer to stay ahead if we make a TD... 18

Redskins second TD - 16... and of course we would have to go for the 2 pointer just to tie. How successful have we been on those lately?

On 11/6/2017 at 5:48 PM, Spaceman Spiff said:

Even though this wasn't a high scoring game, this was a fun game to watch.  Usually a game that would end with that score would most likely be really boring but I had a blast watching this yesterday.

I completely agree and it is usually a game the Redskins lose.  The hail mary pass at the end brought back so many memories like the catch over Doughty by the Texans (was at that game).

On 11/6/2017 at 6:34 PM, LavarArringtonMachine said:

Yeah I had to give their kicker my MVP vote right after I gave it to Doctson for being clutch.  He makes those kicks and we're not talking about having heart, gut check and all of that.

It was good to see us finally take a W if an opponent is trying to give it away.  I've seen games when opponents play poorly and try to give the game away and then we mess around and give it right back.  That wasnt the case yesterday. 

Some games you dominate, some games, you're fighting tooth and nail, and some games are laid out there for you like a gift to take.  Its good to see we're learning how to take advantage of opportunities.

Spot on. The difference I see this year is in our defense. The offense stepping up when it needed to do so to seal the deal. With 1/3 of our guys on the bench and players that you have never heard of before came in and did what they needed to do. The coaches did an awesome job in Seattle.  There is definitely a different attitude in the locker room these days. They might be down but refuse to give up. I am liking their attitude so far.  :)

Archived