Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

General Mass Shooting Thread (originally Las Vegas Strip)

The Sisko

1 minute ago, Popeman38 said:

It should not be more difficult to exercise a right than it is to enjoy a privilege.  Driving is not a right, and using the car analogy is tired and lazy.  If I say that voting should have the same hurdles as getting licensed to  drive a car, I am called a racist vote suppressor trying to deny people a Constitutionally guaranteed right.  It's funny, I'm too conservative for some on this board because I support voter ID.  I'm labeled too liberal by some on this board for listing common sense gun control I support.  It really is based on whatever pet project one identifies with.

Who here is called you a racist vote suppressor? Or are you just exaggerating to make a point? 

36 minutes ago, PF Chang said:

It would be nice if people would stop pretending that the 2nd Amendment has always been interpreted as an individual right. It wasn't until 2001 federally (and 2008 for the Supreme Court). @Predicto explained the history of this after one of our previous mass shootings. Who knows which one? It's hard to keep track. 

Until then, only the collective right had been endorsed by the courts. Essentially what @stevemcqueen1 has been discussing in the thread recently. 

People debate this issue passionately while being too lazy to understand even the basic history of it. 

And clearly historically, even going back to pretty much right after the founding, there were restrictions on gun ownership.  There were towns that really did limit the ability to carry a weapon (concealed or not), etc.

Conflating the 2nd amendment and with the right to vote is laughable.  If you look at something like the 1st Amendment, there are clear restrictions on it that nobody really complains about.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Llevron said:

Who here is called you a racist vote suppressor? Or are you just exaggerating to make a point? 

I used the word if at the beginning of the statement for a reason.  Go back and read the voter ID thread and tell me that people weren't called racists for supporting requiring an ID.

3 minutes ago, PeterMP said:

And clearly historically, even going back to pretty much right after the founding, there were restrictions on gun ownership.  There were towns that really did limit the ability to carry a weapon (concealed or not), etc.

Conflating the 2nd amendment and with the right to vote is laughable.  If you look at something like the 1st Amendment, there are clear restrictions on it that nobody really complains about.

Wanna compare the restrictions on the 1st and the existing restrictions on the 2nd?

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, PF Chang said:

It would be nice if people would stop pretending that the 2nd Amendment has always been interpreted as an individual right. It wasn't until 2001 federally (and 2008 for the Supreme Court). @Predicto explained the history of this after one of our previous mass shootings. Who knows which one? It's hard to keep track. 

Until then, only the collective right had been endorsed by the courts. Essentially what @stevemcqueen1 has been discussing in the thread recently. 

People debate this issue passionately while being too lazy to understand even the basic history of it. 

Totally agree.

All of these die hard 2nd Amenders and their insistence on open carry and owning military grade hardware don’t even realize just how much their opinion is shaped by the NRA gun lobby who’s job is to promote gun sales! They are hapless victims of corporate manipulation and government corruption. But for some reason they believe their thoughts are all their own and perfectly reasonable until theyvare shown the history. Then they just go into hiding and scream that there haven’t been 18 school shootings in 2018.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Popeman38 said:

I used the word if at the beginning of the statement for a reason.  Go back and read the voter ID thread and tell me that people weren't called racists for supporting requiring an ID.

So no one actually called you that? 

4 minutes ago, Popeman38 said:

It should not be more difficult to exercise a right than it is to enjoy a privilege.  Driving is not a right, and using the car analogy is tired and lazy.  If I say that voting should have the same hurdles as getting licensed to  drive a car, I am called a racist vote suppressor trying to deny people a Constitutionally guaranteed right.  It's funny, I'm too conservative for some on this board because I support voter ID.  I'm labeled too liberal by some on this board for listing common sense gun control I support.  It really is based on whatever pet project one identifies with.

The fact of the matter is that historically voter ID laws have been designed to limit voter turn out, especially among minorities.  You can even look at there was the PA Republican bragging after they passed the law that they just guaranteed the state for McCain.

I'm generally for voter ID too, but you also have to recognize there is a difference:

1.  The right to vote is not equivalent to the right to won a gun.  The right to own a gun in terms of the language actually used in the Constitution is more similar to the freedom of speech and to assemble, which there are all sorts of restrictions for.

2.  There really isn't much evidence that voter ID is addressing a problem.  Gun violence is clearly a problem.

3.  There isn't a historical effort to disenfranchise people based on gun laws like there is with respect to laws related to the vote.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Llevron said:

So no one actually called you that? 

The situation was hypothetical. Hence the use of the word if at the very beginning of the sentence. And this board would melt down if someone suggested making the right to vote as burdensome as getting a license to drive.

2 minutes ago, Popeman38 said:

Wanna compare the restrictions on the 1st and the existing restrictions on the 2nd?

Sure!

All sort of speech is disallowed or banned.  So we can ban and disallow some guns right?

There are all sorts of local (not even state) ordinances and hoops that you have to jump through in terms of getting permits to assemble.  So local laws heavily regulating gun ownership and use should be legal, right?

And I'll point out there is no comma in the 1st amendment unlike the 2nd (and again historically, the 2nd amendment has not been interpreted the way the 1st has).

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Popeman38 said:

The situation was hypothetical. Hence the use of the word if at the very beginning of the sentence. And this board would melt down if someone suggested making the right to vote as burdensome as getting a license to drive.

Soooo you made it up to try and prove a point. Lol got it. And im pretty sure we would just explain to you why its stupid. Kinda like

6 minutes ago, PeterMP said:

The fact of the matter is that historically voter ID laws have been designed to limit voter turn out, especially among minorities.  You can even look at there was the PA Republican bragging after they passed the law that they just guaranteed the state for McCain.

I'm generally for voter ID too, but you also have to recognize there is a difference:

1.  The right to vote is not equivalent to the right to won a gun.  The right to own a gun in terms of the language actually used in the Constitution is more similar to the freedom of speech and to assemble, which there are all sorts of restrictions for.

2.  There really isn't much evidence that voter ID is addressing a problem.  Gun violence is clearly a problem.

3.  There isn't a historical effort to disenfranchise people based on gun laws like there is with respect to laws related to the vote.

:drooley:

Edited by Llevron
  • Like 1

Just now, PeterMP said:

Sure!

All sort of speech is disallowed or banned.  So we can ban and disallow some guns right? They already are

There are all sorts of local (not even state) ordinances and hoops that you have to jump through in terms of getting permits to assemble.  So local laws heavily regulating gun ownership and use should be legal, right? They already do

And I'll point out there is no comma in the 1st amendment unlike the 2nd (and again historically, the 2nd amendment has not been interpreted the way the 1st has). SCOTUS has ruled. Yes, they changed their previous interpretations, as SCOTUS tends to do as things evolve

There are TONS of gun control laws already on the books. The 2nd Amendment is already heavily regulated.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Llevron said:

Soooo you made it up to try and prove a point. Lol got it. And im pretty sure we would just explain to you why its stupid. Kinda like

A hypothetical statement is "made up" if you want to call it that.  The responses in the voter ID thread were not, and racism was thrown around quite a bit.

:drooley:

I responded...

20 minutes ago, Popeman38 said:

It should not be more difficult to exercise a right than it is to enjoy a privilege.  Driving is not a right, and using the car analogy is tired and lazy.

Easy.  Take away the right to own a gun.  Make it a privilege.  Abolish the 2nd Amendment, an anachronism the meaning of which, in any case, has been ****ized by the NRA for its own ends.

20 minutes ago, Popeman38 said:

If I say that voting should have the same hurdles as getting licensed to  drive a car, I am called a racist vote suppressor trying to deny people a Constitutionally guaranteed right.  It's funny, I'm too conservative for some on this board because I support voter ID.  I'm labeled too liberal by some on this board for listing common sense gun control I support.

Goodness me.  Stay strong through your trials and tribulations.

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, HOF44 said:

Junior College on lockdown in Des Moines, Iowa shots reported fired.

http://fox4kc.com/2018/02/16/an-active-shooter-at-highland-college/

Des Moines, Washington. Outside Seattle.

1 minute ago, Dan T. said:

Easy.  Take away the right to own a gun.  Make it a privilege.  Abolish the 2nd Amendment, an anachronism the meaning of which, in any case, has been ****ized by the NRA for its own ends.

Yes, you have said this numerous times in this and previous threads. We get it, you want to shred the Constitution as long as it fits your prerogative. 

Edited by Popeman38
  • Like 1

Restriction are necessary but I've yet to see a plan proposed that could work.  "More gun control" in general is a meaningless statement.  Waiting periods, wouldn't stop killers that are patiently planning.  Eliminating AR-15s would simply result in a different weapon becoming the favorite.  I'd like to see some comprehensive plans that actually stand a chance in denting gun violence, that an also survive a court challenge. 

8 minutes ago, Popeman38 said:

There are TONS of gun control laws already on the books. The 2nd Amendment is already heavily regulated.

Okay, but there is nothing wrong with (some) banning guns, right?

There are, but what many of us are saying there needs to be more.  Local governments can completely prevent some organizations from assembling in the name of public safety.  You would be okay if local governments banned some people from owning guns in the name of public safety?

Just now, Destino said:

Restriction are necessary but I've yet to see a plan proposed that could work.  More gun control is a meaningless statement.  Waiting periods, wouldn't stop killers that are patiently planning either.  I'd like to see some comprehensive plans that actually stand a chance in denting gun violence, that an also survive a court challenge. 

Mine would, and can pass legal muster....though it too will be insufficient.