Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Let's Talk about Pets

d0ublestr0ker0ll

The last few years have been crazy for us.  We lost our Basset hound Sadie, lost my cat Nala, adopted a Redbone Coonhound mix names Scarlett, then lost Gibbs.  We honestly think Gibbs passed away from a broken heart.  He never recovered from Sadie and even Scarlett was not enough for him.  Then we adopted Rosie another Redbone Coonhound mix and last December i pulled Klaus a kitten out of the sewer storm drain.  I still have both Chihuahuas BG & Sonny and my cat Huly is now 18 but doing good but our fur family has definitely changed.  I miss my Bassets but love my RBCHs. 

Here are some updated photos of the crazy crew!

IMG_20170823_185551777.jpg

C28A9070-Edit.jpg

And Huly & Klaus

C28A0339.jpg

FB_IMG_1514131783863.jpg

FB_IMG_1520380032752.jpg

• Like 8

• 2 weeks later...

Thanos is totally a shredder. I think he does it out of anxiety though because he never does it while we are home. 

Chewed through the wall, the carpet, the stairs, a few shirts, a few beds (kinds for his crate) all that. But when we are home with him hes a ****ing angel. I dont know what I can do to fix that but I'm working on getting him used to being in the house by himself. 

Just this morning left him to help get the groceries out of the car. Only like 4 minutes by himself out of his crate but he did fine. Hopefully that will help but I'm not sure at all. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Llevron said:

Thanos is totally a shredder. I think he does it out of anxiety though because he never does it while we are home. 

Chewed through the wall, the carpet, the stairs, a few shirts, a few beds (kinds for his crate) all that. But when we are home with him hes a ****ing angel. I dont know what I can do to fix that but I'm working on getting him used to being in the house by himself. 

Just this morning left him to help get the groceries out of the car. Only like 4 minutes by himself out of his crate but he did fine. Hopefully that will help but I'm not sure at all. 

I went through this.  We never crated our previous dog, but Harper demands a crate.  If we leave her out during the day when we are at work, she'll crew the whole house.  But she LOVES the crate, so we just crate her during the day.  Twice a week we take her to what some people refer to as "Doggie Day Care" but I will never call it that because it sounds ridiculous.  

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Llevron said:

I've had to deal with issues like this a lot with fosters.  One, a lot of it is usually not getting enough exercise.  But it is also probably anxiety that he is being left alone.  He needs to learn that you will come back.  With fosters, I would start small.  Go through your normal routine like you are leaving for the day.  Go sit outside for like 15 minutes.  If he cries, about the door and give a firm "no" and start the timer over.  Once 15 minutes goes by, go in and give lots of rewards and love.  Follow the same routine and keep increasing time, 15 min, 30 min, hour, 2 hours, etc.  Once you increase the time a few times you can start doing it in larger chunks.  Goal is for him to learn you are coming back and he doesn't need to be anxious.  My Jack Russell was bad and now I leave her uncrated for 8+ hours while I'm gone and haven't had any issues (knocks on wood).

• Like 2

On 9/16/2018 at 10:49 AM, twa said:

you could get him a friend :)

This is what I wanna do truth be told but until the GF and I tie the knot and get a bigger place with a yard I feel like they would be confined too much. Like, Thanos is a animal. He needs room to run in circles and my down stairs neighbors are nice enough to understand him ripping and running but I know two of him would drive them crazy. I really want another one though hes just to good of a friend not to want another. 

On 9/16/2018 at 6:50 PM, TheGreatBuzz said:

I've had to deal with issues like this a lot with fosters.  One, a lot of it is usually not getting enough exercise.  But it is also probably anxiety that he is being left alone.  He needs to learn that you will come back.  With fosters, I would start small.  Go through your normal routine like you are leaving for the day.  Go sit outside for like 15 minutes.  If he cries, about the door and give a firm "no" and start the timer over.  Once 15 minutes goes by, go in and give lots of rewards and love.  Follow the same routine and keep increasing time, 15 min, 30 min, hour, 2 hours, etc.  Once you increase the time a few times you can start doing it in larger chunks.  Goal is for him to learn you are coming back and he doesn't need to be anxious.  My Jack Russell was bad and now I leave her uncrated for 8+ hours while I'm gone and haven't had any issues (knocks on wood).

I think this is what I'm going to do. I did the daycare thing. ****s expensive. Did the Walker thing and that's expensive too, besides the fact that our Walker left advertisements on my refrigerator once and I lost my ****. She didnt come back after that. 

Edited by Llevron

57 minutes ago, Llevron said:

This is what I wanna do truth be told but until the GF and I tie the knot and get a bigger place with a yard I feel like they would be confined too much. Like, Thanos is a animal. He needs room to run in circles and my down stairs neighbors are nice enough to understand him ripping and running but I know two of him would drive them crazy. I really want another one though hes just to good of a friend not to want another. 

I think this is what I'm going to do. I did the daycare thing. ****s expensive. Did the Walker thing and that's expensive too, besides the fact that our Walker left advertisements on my refrigerator once and I lost my ****. She didnt come back after that. 

Is there a dog park near you?  They are a great way for the dog to get lots of exercise and also learn social skills.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, TheGreatBuzz said:

Is there a dog park near you?  They are a great way for the dog to get lots of exercise and also learn social skills.

Yea I try to take him there for about 2 hours every day before it gets dark. Only problem is that its covered in mud when it rains so he hasn't been in about a week. He has a whole group of little friends he plays with on the regular. I actually think there is a love rivalry there too but that might be my imagination or my dog treats are lased with something. 

He just has boundless energy. Like, you would think 2 hours of straight play would put him out for the night. Naw lol

On 9/16/2018 at 6:23 AM, Llevron said:

Let me start with the obvious - does he have ample chew toys ?

6 hours ago, Llevron said:

Yes. All the toys lol

If you haven't already, might want to try a kong with a frozen treat inside.    

If the behavior only happens when you aren't home, its a tough problem.   Maybe start by leaving the house for 5 minutes, and if he doesn't chew on the furniture, or chews with his toys, then give him a treat.  Keep upping the time, and possibly you can condition him not to shred what he's not supposed to.  But I'm no dog expert, just an owner, and haven't had to deal with problem my dog causes when I'm away, really only when I'm home so its been easier. 

On 9/18/2018 at 4:36 PM, Llevron said:

Yes. All the toys lol

?? I know spoiled rotten, and that's Thanos! 

This little one's been hanging around a lot since yesterday, but I swear I saw a nutsack...very rare for a male to have more than 2 colors...anyone know something I don't about cats?

20180918_072611.jpg

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...