Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Let's Talk about Pets

d0ublestr0ker0ll

Finally, the hospital moves to the new location tomorrow.

I've been through so much, animal deaths barely bother me.

Until I get a moment to think about them.  Then the memories and tears flow.  The animals I speak of, have been my good friends for years.  They just....die....

And now that building, we say goodbye to.  All the animals who died there will come with me in my mind.

New chapter.

Let's go.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

So our little pocket beagle Taco is 5, most energetic and happy dog I've ever had. About 8 weeks ago he started limping off his front left foot. Vet looks at him, no breaks, no sprains, no swelling nothing wrong like a cut or anything in his foot..  she thinks it is early onset arthritis. Now he limps whenever he gets up. He's in pain and shakes from it. Once he stretches it out, he can be active, but he's very tentative. He keeps that paw curled up off the floor, or goes into stretch positions to get off of it. He doesn't come running or even get up when i'm making his dinner. I have to go help him down from his spot on my chair. He has an appetite, just no desire to go to the food.
When he goes outside, he seems to forget about it. Comes back in chipper and trotting, ready to play. I play "tug" with him, keep him exercising and active in the evenings, some fetch.. and while we play, he's fine. I don't pull hard or do too much other than hold the toy, but he gets downright savage with it, headshaking, yanking it, really pulls.
So I don't want to get him on painkillers (Vet says the OTC dog aspirin is bad, no idea what the dosage you're getting and other stuff.)
Some have suggested putting turmeric or ginger in his food as an anti-inflammatory. I've also been recommended to try dog CBD.
Was wondering if anyone else has used this or has experience with anything like this? Any advice?

~Bang

Edited by Bang

29 minutes ago, Bang said:

So our little pocket beagle Taco is 5, most energetic and happy dog I've ever had. About 8 weeks ago he started limping off his front left foot. Vet looks at him, no breaks, no sprains, no swelling nothing wrong like a cut or anything in his foot..  she thinks it is early onset arthritis. Now he limps whenever he gets up. He's in pain and shakes from it. Once he stretches it out, he can be active, but he's very tentative. He keeps that paw curled up off the floor, or goes into stretch positions to get off of it. He doesn't come running or even get up when i'm making his dinner. I have to go help him down from his spot on my chair. He has an appetite, just no desire to go to the food.
When he goes outside, he seems to forget about it. Comes back in chipper and trotting, ready to play. I play "tug" with him, keep him exercising and active in the evenings, some fetch.. and while we play, he's fine. I don't pull hard or do too much other than hold the toy, but he gets downright savage with it, headshaking, yanking it, really pulls.
So I don't want to get him on painkillers (Vet says the OTC dog aspirin is bad, no idea what the dosage you're getting and other stuff.)
Some have suggested putting turmeric or ginger in his food as an anti-inflammatory. I've also been recommended to try dog CBD.
Was wondering if anyone else has used this or has experience with anything like this? Any advice?

~Bang

Sent you a PM.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Bang said:

~Bang

When you say the vet looked at him, did they take X-Rays?

If he's limping for 8 weeks at 5, and it's arthritis, that would be the first case I've ever seen at that age for a dog that size.

I'd massage the hell out of his shoulder and leg, and do physical therapy daily.  Like lightly stretching and massaging at the same time.  That's pure insticts, talking.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Bang said:

No  on the X Ray. Frankly, they want like 450 bucks to do that, and no swelling, no bruising.. nothing that would show outwardly.

~Bang

Dogs rarely swell and bruise when they're busted up.  Especially if it's a hairline or something subtle.  It's a lot of money, but it may very well find the problem.  If it's a no-go, I'd say limit playtime and running around as much as possible.  Bedrest action.  Some anti inflammatories would help a full recovery.

That's all if the vet is wrong with their guesstimation about it being early onset arthritis.  I'm not a vet, but remember, those people got their degrees getting B's and C's in classes.  I always see them confused and consulting other vets.

You'd think that if he had a fracture he'd gimp on it in play, but he doesn't. When he's up to it, he goes full steam, and i end up giving up before he does. I've never seen him slap his foot down and then yelp as a result. We were just yanking around one of his chew toys for about 20 minutes.
Mostly it is after he has been laying down, after he naps or lays down for a while it gives him a problem, but like i said, once he stretches it out some, he is fine til he rests again. 
An X ray isn't out of the question, but we're taking it a bit slow. 

~Bang

Just now, Bang said:

You'd think that if he had a fracture he'd gimp on it in play, but he doesn't. When he's up to it, he goes full steam, and i end up giving up before he does. I've never seen him slap his foot down and then yelp as a result. We were just yanking around one of his chew toys for about 20 minutes.
Mostly it is after he has been laying down, after he naps or lays down for a while it gives him a problem, but like i said, once he stretches it out some, he is fine til he rests again. 
An X ray isn't out of the question, but we're taking it a bit slow. 

~Bang

Okay, well after reading that, I've seen cases like this.  The dog holds a leg up at certain speeds...but at other speeds seems perfectly normal.  I tell the doc, they do X-rays, dog is totally fine...just an abormality.

Charlie, a chihuahua, holds his back left leg up every time he trots around...but he can sprint like hell on all fours, and walks slowly like a normal dog.

I'd still massage/bedrest often and see if it gradually helps.

Main thing is if you think he's in pain.  If not, it might just be a wonky build on that leg.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bang said:

Try this stuff.  Makes a world of difference.  I had similar issues with my Beagle and Jack Russell.  You'll need the vet to give you a prescription but that shouldn't be an issue.  

https://www.chewy.com/hills-prescription-diet-jd-joint-care/dp/54556

1 minute ago, The Almighty Buzz said:

Try this stuff.  Makes a world of difference.  I had similar issues with my Beagle and Jack Russell.  You'll need the vet to give you a prescription but that shouldn't be an issue.  

https://www.chewy.com/hills-prescription-diet-jd-joint-care/dp/54556

Good point.  There are also Glycoflex chews and the like.  Great for joints.

Dogs usually don't like the flavor, so you can break it up and sprinkle it in tasty food.

10 minutes ago, Bang said:

We got him some glucosamine chews the vet recommended,, he hates them. Even in his food he tends to pick it out. I have to keep popping it back in there til he eats it.

~Bang

We had a dog that did similar.   That's how we ended up with the prescription food.  One of our dogs is a semi-piky eater and she gobbles it up.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, skinsmarydu said:

Dipping the chew in some peanut butter always worked for me at the doggy day care. 

Hope Taco is feeling better soon, he's so cute!

Always?

We go thru progressions, so we learn every way each dog likes it.  If the full progression doesn't work, we "pill them" the supplement.  Pilling sucks, but the ailment it alleviates is worse.

1 minute ago, d0ublestr0ker0ll said:

Always?

We go thru progressions, so we learn every way each dog likes it.  If the full progression doesn't work, we "pill them" the supplement.  Pilling sucks, but the ailment it alleviates is worse.

OK, most of the time.  But I never had a problem "pilling", either...my hands are pretty small.  My vet is amazed that I can pill my cats if I have to...but it's easier with dogs, for sure.

Funny, I can accumulate more cuts, bumps, and bruises in a week in the restaurant than I did in a year with dogs.  :ols:

Just now, skinsmarydu said:

OK, most of the time.  But I never had a problem "pilling", either...my hands are pretty small.  My vet is amazed that I can pill my cats if I have to...but it's easier with dogs, for sure.

Funny, I can accumulate more cuts, bumps, and bruises in a week in the restaurant than I did in a year with dogs.  :ols:

Yeah?  Work at a hospital, lol.

I look like the mf antagonist soldier from Platoon.  Scars and scar tissue I'm proud to wear.  Psycho dogs with no direction, cone, high on drugs, pissed.

Cats are easy, their tounges have inward hooked spikes.  Place pill, bam.  Your vet is playing you.  Try to do it to a royally pissed cat.

Peanut butter in a hospital setting rarely works.  Once the PB is on there, the unique scent is impossible to get off.  It's one of our alternative approaches.

EMERGENCY!!!

They family dog is sick and was taken to the vet, they took blood work and I was told it was kidney failure (its my roommate's dog, I'm passing the word along). The dog won't eat, will barely drink and the vet said he needs to stay there for a few days on an IV drip. Just the initial visit was almost $500, the stay is not financially an option. He may have eaten something, we don't know. Does anyone have experience with this? I've been looking at options online, but...I don't know. Any advice would be greatly appreciated? Please and thank you!

Edit: Also, they didn't say they could save him, but they didn't say he would die either, they basically gave no answers at all.

Edited by Simmsy
  • Sad 1

On 3/31/2022 at 5:20 PM, Simmsy said:

EMERGENCY!!!

They family dog is sick and was taken to the vet, they took blood work and I was told it was kidney failure (its my roommate's dog, I'm passing the word along). The dog won't eat, will barely drink and the vet said he needs to stay there for a few days on an IV drip. Just the initial visit was almost $500, the stay is not financially an option. He may have eaten something, we don't know. Does anyone have experience with this? I've been looking at options online, but...I don't know. Any advice would be greatly appreciated? Please and thank you!

Edit: Also, they didn't say they could save him, but they didn't say he would die either, they basically gave no answers at all.

Bloodwork is amazing and IV drip is amazing...

They can't guarantee you anything, and for good reason.

I'd trust that path.  Good luck.

• 2 weeks later...