Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Emerging Technologies....They Might Have Cured Cancer….Also Leaf Blower Silencers!

PleaseBlitz

1 minute ago, TD_washingtonredskins said:

Why, exactly?

What???

Twitter has done a much better job of punishing and labeling misinformation then the other social media platforms, so bringing Trump back in Twitter and letting him go ham would undue all that work and bring Twitter back down to where Facebook and Reddit are with respect to this conversation.

Musk, to his credit, is jus trying to prove a point, versus Facebook knowing that people being pissed makes them more engaged in their platform, but the end result is similar enough that it would take us all backwards in the misinformation age where up until know Twitter was a leader in fighting it.

If Musk let's Trump back on Twitter, government has to respond by coming after Secrion 230 at minimum, social media platforms are the gasoline on the fire at this point and perfectly fine with it even though it absolutely is not fine.

5 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

What???

Twitter has done a much better job of punishing and labeling misinformation then the other social media platforms, so bringing Trump back in Twitter and letting him go ham would undue all that work and bring Twitter back down to where Facebook and Reddit are with respect to this conversation.

Musk, to his credit, is jus trying to prove a point, versus Facebook knowing that people being pissed makes them more engaged in their platform, but the end result is similar enough that it would take us all backwards in the misinformation age where up until know Twitter was a leader in fighting it.

If Musk let's Trump back on Twitter, government has to respond by coming after Secrion 230 at minimum, social media platforms are the gasoline on the fire at this point and perfectly fine with it even though it absolutely is not fine.

I would want Musk to employ full transparency with when and why bans are happening. Because banning someone like Trump without specific citing of violations only spun people up further. Transparency is the key, in my opinion, and then holding any actual journalists to the same standards they'd be held to in print would be a good start. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

My opinion of Musk will change dramatically if he does that.

It's coming. It will be pretty funny if a lot of twitter's workforce quits on the spot. 

My opinion of him has changed quite a bit. Really started around the pandemic and his claims that it would be over immediately. Musk claims to be for combating climate change and to be pro-democracy but he's championed bitcoin and now he's getting in bed with the right which will amplify the biggest threat to American democracy as well as climate change deniers. He also hasn't yet given the money he claimed to help find world hunger, but let's spend $43 billion on twitter. 

Just now, TD_washingtonredskins said:

I would want Musk to employ full transparency with when and why bans are happening. Because banning someone like Trump without specific citing of violations only spun people up further. Transparency is the key, in my opinion, and then holding any actual journalists to the same standards they'd be held to in print would be a good start. 

Twitter did cite specific examples for banning him under their current rules at the time, so why in the hell would Musk bring him back? 

https://blog.twitter.com/en_us/topics/company/2020/suspension

Forgiveness? A second chance?  Is he going to change the rules that lead to him getting banned in the first place? 

Under current rules and how Trump is in theory it's only a matter of time for him getting banned again, he's merely gone to other platforms and even tried to make his own to keep it going.

Bringing him back is a waste of time, and concerns the hell out of me Musk is going to change the rules that lead to banning him in the first place.

4 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

Twitter did cite specific examples for banning him under their current rules at the time, so why in the hell would Musk bring him back? 

https://blog.twitter.com/en_us/topics/company/2020/suspension

Forgiveness? A second chance?  Is he going to change the rules that lead to him getting banned in the first place? 

Under current rules and how Trump is in theory it's only a matter of time for him getting banned again, he's merely gone to other platforms and even tried to make his own to keep it going.

Bringing him back is a waste of time, and concerns the hell out of me Musk is going to change the rules that lead to banning him in the first place.

I think you could make the case that removing him was pretty flimsy when you read through the justification. I will admit that people hated Trump and wanted him off Twitter, but I don't agree that's a valid reason to remove someone. 

Twitter gets to interpret "I'm not going to the Inauguration" as "Patriots attack!!" is also unfair. That's the stuff I don't like from Twitter (and I wouldn't like it if it happened to Biden or Harris). The interpretation of breaking the rules seems pretty slanted to me and seemed very skewed to the liberal side of things. 

39 minutes ago, Hersh said:

It's coming. It will be pretty funny if a lot of twitter's workforce quits on the spot. 

In the context of people being left in helping Musk do what we are all afraid of, I don't find it funny at all.

39 minutes ago, Hersh said:

My opinion of him has changed quite a bit. Really started around the pandemic and his claims that it would be over immediately. Musk claims to be for combating climate change and to be pro-democracy but he's championed bitcoin and now he's getting in bed with the right which will amplify the biggest threat to American democracy as well as climate change deniers. He also hasn't yet given the money he claimed to help find world hunger, but let's spend $43 billion on twitter. 

Yea know, I believe UN feels different about this and the two sides aren't telling us everything:

“Whether WFP receives any of this money is yet to be seen, but I am excited to hear that Elon is engaged,” Beasley said. “This is an amazing and great first step.”

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.marke****ch.com/amp/story/elon-musk-gave-more-than-5-million-tesla-shares-to-charity-after-teasing-possible-donation-to-fight-world-hunger-11644885144

I'm not buying that only $6 billion will solve world hunger, which is what Musk asked for.  These are huge historical international systemic issues causing this symptom we call world hunger, look at how much US spent to try and modernize the infrastructure and economies if Iraq and Afgahnistan alone. 

Are we talking about making sure people have food or attacking what's causing world hunger in the first place?  Because $6 billion sounds like it will help for some time then run out.

Edited by Renegade7
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, TD_washingtonredskins said:

I think you could make the case that removing him was pretty flimsy when you read through the justification. I will admit that people hated Trump and wanted him off Twitter, but I don't agree that's a valid reason to remove someone. 

Twitter gets to interpret "I'm not going to the Inauguration" as "Patriots attack!!" is also unfair. That's the stuff I don't like from Twitter (and I wouldn't like it if it happened to Biden or Harris). The interpretation of breaking the rules seems pretty slanted to me and seemed very skewed to the liberal side of things. 

Have you seen what Twitter was seeing in his followers interpretations of Trumps tweets? 

He was absolutely inciting them and giving them his support, that's why they banned him.

It was in the context of the other tweets on Twitter and him seeming to be encouraging them, he was pouring gasoline on their platform and had to stop him to help focus on the ones that were violating other rules out of inspiration for Trumps support.

To say Trump didn't specificly tell them to do something is missing the point, and was a final straw with respect to other violations of their platform.  End of the day, it's their platform and if he's was getting in the way of them moderating it (which is already a near impossible task), I fully support banning him.

Musk bringing him back would insinuate less an emphasis on this and more accepting Twitter being out of control and not their problem (which is Facebook approach).

Edited by Renegade7

42 minutes ago, China said:

The titanic is unsinkable!

19 minutes ago, TD_washingtonredskins said:

Trump was using Twitter to incite a violent insurrection against the United States. Being banned from Twitter should be the least of his worries.

I will not support anyone who gives Trump a voice.

• Like 2
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 2

Musk buying Twitter is the best thing that has happened in America in a while.

Don't care if Trump is reinstated or not. Ending the echochamber for one political party is a good thing.

Social media does influence the public, so one political parties voice should not be louder than another on it. Enable free speech and let Americans think for themselves and form their own opinions.

And if you ban someone you better be clear and public about the reasons for the ban if you want people to trust the platform.

The reactions to the purchase from the left only confirms that they know their voice was louder than all others. And those responses/people videotaping themselves literally crying because they think Musk's purchase HINDERS free speech, is actually quite HILARIOUS.

God Bless America! What a great day!

(Can't wait for the mob to attack this post)

• Haha 1
  • Thumb down 1

10 minutes ago, CousinsCowgirl84 said:

This is where I'm at as well, I've been defending Musk in the context of the bigger picture, but bringing Trump back to Twitter would be indefensible.

I'm not sure he's fully thinking through the impact to his public image if he does that.  This is still hypothetical until he actually does it, he hasn't out right said that he's gonna unban him yet.

But I'm gonna 180 if he does and push putting the government subsides he's getting for his other companies on the chopping block if he follows through on it. **** that.

• Like 1

I can only hope this is the ultimate flex. It’s a huge Trump diss if you think about it. Trump talks a lot about being very rich. 

Well, he was banned from Twitter…. Anyone can buy Twitter. He couldn’t afford Twitter. 

Between Musk and Trump, only one of them is actually rich. 

Of course, this self-satire only works if Elon doesn’t actually unban Trump.

Just now, Renegade7 said:

I'm not sure he's fully thinking through the impact to his public image if he does that.  This is still hypothetical until he actually does it, he hasn't out right said that he's gonna unban him yet.

I don’t think he is either. Twitter is an echo chamber for whatever you want to believe.  And the more you post about an idea the more it is repeated back to you.

• Like 1

Cynical thought, but perhaps Musk is just trying to be the next Trump.  

I don't know what the hell is wrong with society.  We used to see through things like "I am against wokeness" as "I no longer believe we should treat people the way I want to be treated."  Now there's just a loud static cacophony from one side of society that wants to drown out the rest. 

Have fun Elon...

14 minutes ago, CousinsCowgirl84 said:

The titanic is unsinkable!

Trump was using Twitter to incite a violent insurrection against the United States. Being banned from Twitter should be the least of his worries.

Guess you won't be watching news in the 24 election. Networks have to give equal time to candidates; so Donny will be everywhere. 

4 minutes ago, 88Comrade2000 said:

Guess you won't be watching news in the 24 election. Networks have to give equal time to candidates; so Donny will be everywhere. 

That rule is a shell of itself and even Fox will end coverage a Trump rally sometimes, it's not a requirement anymore, it's a choice.

Equal time rule is mostly a formality today

Today the equal time rule is more of a formality than a real burden on broadcasters. With all the exceptions granted to the rule, it rarely limits the ability of a television or radio station to give air time to a candidate. Thus, although some claim that the rule violates the First Amendment, there has been no real effort to repeal it or to challenge it in court.

Moreover, as new forms of the media, such as the Internet, become more important, others claim that the relevancy of the equal time rule is diminishing.

As noted, the equal time rule is often confused with the now-repealed fairness doctrine. The latter, in existence from 1949 to 1987, required broadcasters airing one side of a controversial issue to provide equal time to opposing viewpoints. The fairness doctrine’s constitutionality on First Amendment grounds was upheld in Red Lion Broadcasting Co. v. Federal Communications Commission (1969).

This article was originally published in 2009. Shannon K. McCraw is a Professor at Southeastern Oklahoma State University.

https://www.mtsu.edu/first-amendment/article/949/equal-time-rule

14 minutes ago, Forever A Redskin said:

Don't care if Trump is reinstated or not. Ending the echochamber for one political party is a good thing.

Social media does influence the public, so one political parties voice should not be louder than another on it. Enable free speech and let Americans think for themselves and form their own opinions.

And if you ban someone you better be clear and public about the reasons for the ban if you want people to trust the platform.

The reactions to the purchase from the left only confirms that they know their voice was louder than all others. And those responses/people videotaping themselves literally crying because they think Musk's purchase HINDERS free speech, is actually quite HILARIOUS.

You have no idea what the **** you are talking about.

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

3 minutes ago, 86 Snyder said:

You have no idea what the **** you are talking about.

I know that shares are up for Twitter. I know you're mad. I know a lot. 

3 minutes ago, @DCGoldPants said:

I'm a twitter stock holder who dumped 1/4 of my shares when it hit the mid 70s a few years ago. An offer in the 50s kind of sucks IMO. Feels like he should at least get near the 5 year high to be worth it. 

So are you excited that your remaining shares are gonna be worth a ton now that Elon owns it? Wish I had some shares!

So are people just wildly speculating that he'll reinstate Trump to Twitter without any evidence?  Did Musk say that he would?  I genuinely haven't heard anything but you all seem to be on top of it so I'm sure someone will fill me in.

16 minutes ago, Destino said:

That would be the biggest troll move in history.  And cost an unimaginable fortune.  

I’m not the least bit worried about Musk taking over twitter.  I’m ok choosing what content I read and what garbage I avoid.

It would be an awesome move, I'd love to see it happen.

And FWIW, I'm not worried about him taking over Twitter either.  For following sports and irrelevant fun stuff, it's pretty great.

Trying to have a conversation and an exchange of ideas on serious issues while being limited to several tweets of 280 characters is a fool's errand.  It's also really good if you think you're witty and can dunk on people.   

32 minutes ago, Forever A Redskin said:

Oh for ****s sake, there's plenty of conservatives on twitter.  I'm always seeing that ****ing moron Nick Adams getting liked/RT'd and then completely dragged in his comments.