Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Liquor Thread

PokerPacker

On 10/6/2022 at 4:07 PM, Skinsfan1311 said:

That was a thoughtful gift.   Adding water opens them up and a lot of people drink it that way.

Try it straight and see how you like it,  If it's lower proof...i.e. somewhere between 80-92, it may be fine straight. 

If the burn is too much, add a few drops of water, (3-4), and see how you like it and keep doing that until you find out how much water you like.

I usually add a water bottle capful to higher proofers, and maybe a couple drops to lower proof whiskey.

I don't use ice because it dilutes the scotch too quickly, as I drink it slowly.    I have some large ice spheres, but I use those for very high proof and hazmat whiskey.

There's no wrong way to drink and enjoy whiskey, as long as you like it.   That being said, I highly suggest trying a small pour straight first, and letting it rest in the glass for the initial "neck" pour, for at least 15 minutes.

Please post how you like it and enjoy!

Finally cracked open the bottle with the Wife for the holidays.  Wow, the tasting note and the aroma in my mouth lasts for ages.  Tried a little straight and didn't see the need to add anything, not harsh at all.  I didn't think I would shell out for this kind of high end stuff in the future, but I may be hooked.  Just fantastic experience.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, bearrock said:

Finally cracked open the bottle with the Wife for the holidays.  Wow, the tasting note and the aroma in my mouth lasts for ages.  Tried a little straight and didn't see the need to add anything, not harsh at all.  I didn't think I would shell out for this kind of high end stuff in the future, but I may be hooked.  Just fantastic experience.

That sounds amazing!

Thanks for sharing!

• Like 1

11 hours ago, bearrock said:

Jump on down the Whiskey rabbit hole!!! 

• Haha 2

When I start to feel the pangs of guilt over spending $100 on a bottle of bourbon that lasts me hours, I remind myself of twenty something year old me who was much poorer and routinely spent $10 on Beast Lights that were gone the same night. One must find rational where one can.

*This version doesn't work as well. :)

• Haha 4

7 minutes ago, PleaseBlitz said:

When I start to feel the pangs of guilt over spending $100 on a bottle of bourbon that lasts me hours, I remind myself of twenty something year old me who was much poorer and routinely spent $10 on Beast Lights that were gone the same night. One must find rational where one can.

*This version doesn't work as well. :)

The goody two shoes version 

• Haha 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Oregon officials lose their job after keeping rare Pappy Van Winkle bourbon for themselves

A thirst for rare bottles of bourbon appears set to have cost the executive director and other top officials of Oregon’s liquor and marijuana regulating agency their jobs.

An internal investigation by the Oregon Liquor and Cannabis Commission, obtained by The Associated Press via public records request Wednesday, concluded that Executive Director Steve Marks and five other agency officials had diverted sought-after bourbons, including Pappy Van Winkle’s 23-year-old whiskey, for their personal use.

The officials were paying for the whiskey, which can cost thousands of dollars a bottle, but they had used their knowledge and connections at the commission to obtain them, and consequently deprived members of the public of the spendy booze, the investigation said. And that violated Oregon statutes, including one that prohibits public officials from using confidential information for personal gain, the commission’s investigation said.

Oregon Gov. Tina Kotek on Wednesday asked the agency’s board of commissioners to remove Marks and the other implicated officials, alleging they “abused their position for personal gain.”

Click on the link for the full article

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/1/2023 at 1:06 AM, China said:

Has anybody tried this?

574754.jpg?min-w=200&min-h=200&fit=crop

Bought some on a whim the other day and was wondering what it was like.

Yes.

It's very good and a staple on our bar.  It's a tad pricey, (~ $65.00 around here), but worth it.   If you ever see the 15 year, take a pass on it.   It's good, but overpriced, (I think I paid $135), but not $70.00 better than the 12 year.

Truth be told, the 9 year, (~ $35.00), is a great whiskey.    The 12 is better, but not by much.

• 3 months later...

NATIONAL BOURBON DAY – June 14

On June 14th, National Bourbon Day recognizes the Official Spirit of America.

Like Scotch, Cognac, and some other spirits, Bourbon must meet certain standards and be produced in a specific geographical region to earn its name. Bourbon is a whiskey that can only be called by the word when it is distilled in the United States. For a distiller to legally label their whiskey as “Bourbon,” they must meet specific criteria.

In 1964, a Congressional Resolution designated Bourbon as America’s native spirit. Since then, nowhere else in the world can make a whiskey and call it Bourbon.

Click on the link for more

• 7 months later...
12 minutes ago, PokerPacker said:

Dry January?  Why would you subject yourself to that?

Yea, I hear you. I actually started with a group of 12 of my boys. Looks like 3 of us are going to complete it. 😂 

Worst part is I expected to lose like 10-15 lbs. as of yesterday I’ve lost exactly zero lbs. FML.