Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2017 - 18 Stanley Cup Champion Washington Capitals Thread

ixcuincle

12 minutes ago, BenningRoadSkin said:

yes

The Capitals are a dangerous team. I don't think many teams want to face them in the postseason based on their talent, even if it isnt like past years.

Are you kidding? The playoffs is EXACTLY when other teams look forward to seeing the Caps. 

I'm relieved.  I thought for certain we'd overpay for Mike Green, and Tampa (or another contender in the East) would land Erik Karlsson.  Neither happened.

This team needs help and I would've liked them to make a move, but I'm glad they didn't make a bad deal for the sake of making a deal.  I didn't see any d-man moved who would've make a big difference for us.  Hang onto the 1st and 2nd round picks.  With the salary cap, they're vital to extending the "window" to compete that everyone's always so worried about.

14 minutes ago, capcrunch98 said:

I'm relieved.  I thought for certain we'd overpay for Mike Green, and Tampa (or another contender in the East) would land Erik Karlsson.  Neither happened.

This team needs help and I would've liked them to make a move, but I'm glad they didn't make a bad deal for the sake of making a deal.  I didn't see any d-man moved who would've make a big difference for us.  Hang onto the 1st and 2nd round picks.  With the salary cap, they're vital to extending the "window" to compete that everyone's always so worried about.

Those first round picks usually don't pan out til 3 years down the road.

They aren't for "extending the window," they're for building a new one.

The window is closed.

10 minutes ago, DC9 said:

Vegas is so fast, they're all in on their first year.  Traded 1st, 2nd and 3rd for Thomas Tartar.  Holy ****.

The league really ****ed up by letting them get that good.

Wouldnt that be something if the NHL just came in and handed their new expansion team a cup on year one?  Just great.

23 minutes ago, DC9 said:

The window is closed.

The Caps have huge holes on the blueline and their year-long habit of slow starts and taking entire periods off is concerning and speaks to leadership and possibly coaching issues.  But they also have a skilled offense, the best goal scorer of this generation and a goalie who has shown he's capable of being one of the best in the world.  They're also in first place in the NHL's toughest division, despite the aforementioned concerns, in a season we can all agree has been a lot more rocky than what we've been used to lately.

Yes, they would be underdogs against the Bolts, Bruins, and Pens, but they have the talent and the goalie to make a run.  I know, I hate going into the playoffs hanging my hopes on the "getting hot" card, but that's where we're at now and there were barely any names moved at the deadline that would've changed that (at least one's we could've afforded).

Looks like we'll overpay Carlson in the offseason and end up with the same crummy core (going forward) that doesn't have the heart to go deep in the playoffs..   Wish we could of moved him for picks or prospects and done some kind of 3 team deal to get Karlsson.. But alas, we be the Caps.. Never change!! :headbang:lol 

The positive: Caps largely left their same roster intact other than a few moves for D. Didn't give up Vrana or Burakovsky (which was rumored) plus picks for Karlsson. Plus Karlsson is coming off significant surgery so who knows how effective he would have been in DC. 

The negative: The Caps blew a chance to get arguably one of the best defenders in the game right now and a real offensive threat. Karlsson is a huge upgrade over Carlson when healthy. The rest of the East (Pit / Bos / TB) improved while the Capitals, slumping in 2018, made no changes. 

1 hour ago, Springfield said:

I’d assume Trotz is gone after this if it’s another 1st or 2nd round exit again.

There is zero doubt on this. If they believed he could do it they would have extended him already. This is a lame duck year anyway. They miss the playoffs / lose in 1st or 2nd round and it's like Dusty Baker. You just let him walk and don't extend him. And if he takes the team to a championship, you extend him then. 

The Caps defense has been pissing me off big time. I've been a "whatever happens in the reg season, happens" brigade but that loss to the Jets where we had it and now, letting Columbus walk in all period, it's safe to say this isn't a contender as it appears the last couple weeks.

Jesus, why do they all of the sudden hate  Holtby and play absolutely terrible in front of him. They fight for Grubby moreso it seems. Probably just too used to 70 bailing them out but he's merely 'good' right now this season, bad lately

Wow.  I think I've seen enough.  I'm down for a firesale if/when we get eliminated.  We can get good value for ovi Backstrom  and holtby.  Not that i dont love those guys, but we clearly don't have the wits to manage to put together a cup with that core, and they're not spring chickens, so their max value is now.  Plus they deserve to be.on cup winning teams, Id.root.for them as.long as they didn't end up in Pittsburgh or new york

Archived