Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Sewer That Is The GOP: With All The White Supremacists, Conspiracy Nutters, And Other Malicious Whacko Subgroups, How Does It Get Fixed?

Jumbo

’88 Words’

Claim
A November 2022 GOP fundraising email began with: "This message is only 88 words."

Rating
True

Reporting
On November 30 2022, tweets about a Republican fundraising email containing the phrase “88 words” appeared:

Background
A December 1 2022 tweet featured a screenshot of the email, apparently the same as the one in the tweet above, categorizing the email as containing “Nazi code words”:

Fi6fZjqWQAIytYR.jpg?format=jpg&name=smal

Why ’88’ is Controversial
By itself, the number “88” seems innocuous — but in the context of coded hate speech, it comes up on a regular basis.

Later in 2019, we profiled a piece of Facebook engagement-bait which contained a veiled white supremacist reference. Several posts on the page in question made reference to two numbers often seen together — “14” and “88” — and explained the context of both:

On August 8 2019, the page shared a post about the date (8/8, a nod to the white supremacist dogwhistle “88,” which stand for the eighth letter of the alphabet, H, and is widely used as shorthand for “Heil Hitler”), and asked people to consider moving their birthdays …

Post comments (archived here) were full of winking references to the numbers 14 (representing the “14 words” white supremacist meme), 88 (the aforementioned coded “Heil Hitler” reference), and 1488 …

Click on the link for more

Why would anyone, ever, do business with a political campaign, and not demand cash in advance? I mean, unless the business is a campaign donation. 

You're doing business with an entity which is planning on being bankrupt, the second week of November. 

• Like 3
  • Thumb up 1

2 hours ago, Cooked Crack said:

Sounds horrible!

Oh No!  Guys... I... I might be woke.

Does anyone know if I can fix this with, like, Ivermectin or something?

4 minutes ago, Captain Wiggles said:

What exactly has Musk exposed? 🍆

The gratuitous use of the egg plant made me throw up in my mouth a little.  Thanks for that.

• Sad 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

Trump's call to suspend Constitution not a 2024 deal-breaker, leading House Republican says

Republican Ohio Rep. Dave Joyce said Sunday that he didn't want to be drawn into commenting on Donald Trump's recent call to suspend the Constitution over baseless claims of 2020 election fraud.

Joyce, the chair of the Republican Governance Group, a centrist group in the House, was asked by ABC "This Week" anchor George Stephanopoulos to respond to Trump's post on Saturday on his Truth Social platform. The former president wrongly asserted that the "massive fraud" -- which did not occur -- "allows for the termination of all rules, regulations, and articles, even those found in the Constitution."

Joyce initially declined to respond, saying he didn't know what Trump said on social media and that the public wasn't "interested in looking backwards." But Stephanopoulos pressed further, and Joyce ultimately said that Trump's comment should be taken "in context" but that it wouldn't prevent him from supporting Trump if he ends up winning the nomination. 

"It's early. I think there's going to be a lot of people in the primary ... [but] I will support whoever the Republican nominee is," Joyce said while noting he didn't think Trump would manage to win the 2024 Republican presidential nomination because there are "a lot of other good quality candidates out there."

"That's a remarkable statement," Stephanopoulos said. "You just said you'd support a candidate who's come out for suspending the Constitution."

Click on the link for the full article

• Haha 1