Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Depth chart predictions and roster cuts caused by the FA and Draft acquisitions

DC Lumber Co.

11 hours ago, 98ORAKPO98 said:

OFFENSE:

OL: Trent Williams, Arie Kouandjio, Spencer Long, Brandon Scherff, Morgan Moses, Ty Nsekhe, Vinston Painter, Chase Roullier

QB: Kirk Cousins, Colt McCoy, Nate Sudfeld

RB: Samaje Perine, Rob Kelley, Chris Thompson

WR: Terrelle Pryor, Josh Doctson, Jamison Crowder, Brian Quick, Maurice Harris, Robert Davis 

TE: Jordan Reed, Vernon Davis, Jeremy Sprinkle, Niles Paul

DEFENSE:

DL: Terrell McClain, Phil Taylor, Jonathan Allen, Anthony Lanier, Stacy McGee, Matt Ioannidis, Ziggy Hood

ILB: Zach Brown, Martrell Spaight, Mason Foster, Will Compton, Josh Harvey - Clemons

OLB: Ryan Kerrigan, Preston Smith, Junior Galette, Ryan Anderson, Trent Murphy

CB: Josh Norman, Kendall Fuller, (Bashaud Breeland - Nickel Back) Fabian Moreau, Quinton Dunbar

S: Su'a Cravens, DJ Swearinger, (DeAngelo Hall - pay cut) Deshazor Everett 

SPECIAL TEAMS:

K: Dustin Hopkins

P: Tress Way

LS: Nick Sundberg

I think that's a pretty solid guess there.  I'd replace Painter with Lauvao, and I wonder whether Blackmon makes it at safety.  Everett's a good one to keep for ST, so I'm guessing it becomes a choice between Hall and Blackmon.

Part of me thinks Holsey just might latch on, but I'm not sure who he'd replace...

14 hours ago, skinny21 said:

I think that's a pretty solid guess there.  I'd replace Painter with Lauvao, and I wonder whether Blackmon makes it at safety.  Everett's a good one to keep for ST, so I'm guessing it becomes a choice between Hall and Blackmon.

Part of me thinks Holsey just might latch on, but I'm not sure who he'd replace...

Im hoping Holsey catches on too. 

I think Carrier over Paul. Roullier hits the PS and Lauveo stays starting. Wonder if Dunbar gets moved to S. Can't imagine we stay at 4.

I dont think Spaight is a lock to make the team. Is he still PS eligible? 

Using Skinny21's roster as a reference ... I suggest the following changes:

1.  2 Qbs ... either Kirk and Sudfeld, or MCoy and Sudfeld (if Kirk is traded before July 15th).

2.  Add Mack Brown RB

3.  Cut Hall ... replace with Holsey.

4.  Cut Hood and substitute Dondre Pipkins.

5.  Cut Galette (Harvey-Clemons becomes "Swiss-Army-Knife" ).

6.  Put Davis on IR and add Pascal.

7. Add Nicholson.

8. Switch Carrier for Paul.

PS: Jacobs, The "Fish," Catylina, Banks. (QB TBD) and others TBD.

I made some changes to @98ORAKPO98 in bold.

OFFENSE:

OL: Trent Williams, Arie Kouandjio, Spencer Long, Brandon Scherff, Morgan Moses, Ty Nsekhe, Vinston Painter, Chase Roullier

QB: Kirk Cousins, Colt McCoy, Nate Sudfeld

RB: Samaje Perine, Rob Kelley, Chris Thompson, Mack Brown

WR: Terrelle Pryor, Josh Doctson, Jamison Crowder, Brian Quick, Maurice Harris, Robert Davis 

TE: Jordan Reed, Vernon Davis, Jeremy Sprinkle,

DEFENSE:

DL: Terrell McClain, Phil Taylor, Jonathan Allen, Anthony Lanier, Stacy McGee, AJ Francis, Ziggy Hood

ILB: Zach Brown, Martrell Spaight, Mason Foster, Will Compton, 

OLB: Ryan Kerrigan, Preston Smith, Junior Galette, Ryan Anderson, Trent Murphy

CB: Josh Norman, Kendall Fuller, (Bashaud Breeland - Nickel Back) Fabian Moreau, Quinton Dunbar

S: Su'a Cravens, DJ Swearinger, Will Blackmon, Deshazor Everett, Montae Nicholson

SPECIAL TEAMS:

K: Dustin Hopkins

P: Tress Way

LS: Nick Sundberg

6 hours ago, Koolblue13 said:

Im hoping Holsey catches on too. 

I think Carrier over Paul. Roullier hits the PS and Lauveo stays starting. Wonder if Dunbar gets moved to S. Can't imagine we stay at 4.

I dont think Spaight is a lock to make the team. Is he still PS eligible? 

Personally, I like Paul a lot more than Carrier (particularly after he bulked up last year and talked about blocking being a much improved part of his game).  Yet, his injuries are no joke.  Not sure he can really stay healthy.  The good news is that with Sprinkle added, we don't have to rely on Paul.  

If Roullier goes to the PS, who's our backup C?  Thought we cut the guy we had just signed?

Dunbar at safety is intriguing and it opens up a spot for Holsey.  Seems a tall task for him to switch positions yet again.  

Good question about Spaight.  Do we not keep a 4th ILB then?  I mean, we have Harvey-Clemons (or maybe Cravens) as a dime backer, but they wouldn't help on 1st and 2nd downs, right?

26 minutes ago, skinny21 said:

Personally, I like Paul a lot more than Carrier (particularly after he bulked up last year and talked about blocking being a much improved part of his game).  Yet, his injuries are no joke.  Not sure he can really stay healthy.  The good news is that with Sprinkle added, we don't have to rely on Paul.  

If Roullier goes to the PS, who's our backup C?  Thought we cut the guy we had just signed?

Dunbar at safety is intriguing and it opens up a spot for Holsey.  Seems a tall task for him to switch positions yet again.  

Good question about Spaight.  Do we not keep a 4th ILB then?  I mean, we have Harvey-Clemons (or maybe Cravens) as a dime backer, but they wouldn't help on 1st and 2nd downs, right?

Carrier should finally be healthy and Paul really has never done much. Pretty sure Carrier is cheaper and cost us a small pick. I mean, whatever, get rid of both if Sprinkle looks good.

Good point on the back up C. Ty is obviously 6th, Arie most likely 7th, so I guess it comes down to Painter or Roullier looking in camp. Doubt we carry 9.

Dunbar is mostly a ST guy now that we've drafted so many other DBs, if he even makes the team. Great story, so I hope his play improves. Holsey could be the answer at slot, so if he is, that over rides a lot. Maybe if they like what they have, Bree goes on the block. Who knows there. DB is going to be exciting to watch.

Toler, right? He still here? I have no idea if spaight is good enough to make it. I dont see us going 10LBs and Bates is better than Spaight. 

What great problems to have, aint it? Finally starting to field a deep team.

1 hour ago, Koolblue13 said:

Carrier should finally be healthy and Paul really has never done much. Pretty sure Carrier is cheaper and cost us a small pick. I mean, whatever, get rid of both if Sprinkle looks good.

Yeah, I guess I'm in the same boat here.  

Good point on the back up C. Ty is obviously 6th, Arie most likely 7th, so I guess it comes down to Painter or Roullier looking in camp. Doubt we carry 9.

I'm not sure if Roullier will be ready, I just don't see another option.  Maybe they pick up a FA?  

Dunbar is mostly a ST guy now that we've drafted so many other DBs, if he even makes the team. Great story, so I hope his play improves. Holsey could be the answer at slot, so if he is, that over rides a lot. Maybe if they like what they have, Bree goes on the block. Who knows there. DB is going to be exciting to watch.

My guess is that Dunbar is the number one backup on the outside, but I'm assuming Moreau overtakes him sooner rather than later.  If Moreau were healthy, I could maybe? see Breeland on the block, but then again, Manusky talked about the importance of having good corners.  I think we're set up nicely here with Moreau taking over for Breeland next year.  

Toler, right? He still here? I have no idea if spaight is good enough to make it. I dont see us going 10LBs and Bates is better than Spaight. 

What great problems to have, aint it? Finally starting to field a deep team.

Pretty sure Toler wasn't re-signed.  I do really like Bates - I'm always tempted to bring him up when discussing OLBs, but he's the odd man out at this point... unless Murphy/Smith move inside.  He's helped by Murphy's suspension, but after that...

The only guy I see beating out Spaight is the FA (what's his face - the guy we brought in to replace Garvin).  

Yes!  It's a great problem to have!  Feel like we've been trending that way for a little while now, but this feels like the most complete team we've had in eons.  When virtually all of your back end guys have the potential to be solid contributors, you're doing something right, IMO.  

Off the top of my head, 3 things this year that could make for an incredibly positive outlook for the future:

1) Spaight gets PT and looks good.  With Brown on a 1 year deal, and no other young guy developing, this would appease our concerns for the ILB position.  

2) Doctson plays well (and the injury stays in the rear view).  Again, Pryor on a 1 year deal, so Doctson stepping up would help cement things long term.  

3) The obvious one - a LTD for Cousins.  

Of course, Anderson could get snaps in the middle, Harris/Davis/etc. could perform at wr, and Sudfeld could make huge strides this year, etc., but those are all much longer odds of happening.  

Gonna be an exciting year!

9 minutes ago, skinny21 said:

The only guy I see beating out Spaight is the FA (what's his face - the guy we brought in to replace Garvin).  

Yes!  It's a great problem to have!  Feel like we've been trending that way for a little while now, but this feels like the most complete team we've had in eons.  When virtually all of your back end guys have the potential to be solid contributors, you're doing something right, IMO.  

Off the top of my head, 3 things this year that could make for an incredibly positive outlook for the future:

1) Spaight gets PT and looks good.  With Brown on a 1 year deal, and no other young guy developing, this would appease our concerns for the ILB position.  

2) Doctson plays well (and the injury stays in the rear view).  Again, Pryor on a 1 year deal, so Doctson stepping up would help cement things long term.  

3) The obvious one - a LTD for Cousins.  

Not sure if people are writing him off or forgetting about Stephen Daniels from bc. Low draft pick for sure but I haven't seen anything more than a good physique from spaight. His play hasn't matched. Daniels was a thumper and looks like more of a two down player but with additions of guys like Cravens and the hyphen from this draft we have multiple tweeters to play in nickel or dime anyway. He backup battle for the couple inside linebacker spots will certainly be interesting. Garvin is a good ST player but I'm betting they go younger/cheaper for a guy not expected to see time on defense. 

23 minutes ago, moondog said:

Not sure if people are writing him off or forgetting about Stephen Daniels from bc. Low draft pick for sure but I haven't seen anything more than a good physique from spaight. His play hasn't matched. Daniels was a thumper and looks like more of a two down player but with additions of guys like Cravens and the hyphen from this draft we have multiple tweeters to play in nickel or dime anyway. He backup battle for the couple inside linebacker spots will certainly be interesting. Garvin is a good ST player but I'm betting they go younger/cheaper for a guy not expected to see time on defense. 

We waived Daniels last week, he didn't even make it to camp unfortunately.

9 hours ago, ConnSKINS26 said:

We waived Daniels last week, he didn't even make it to camp unfortunately.

9 hours ago, Koolblue13 said:

I hope he is never a good starter. I hope he's an awful starter, now that he's an Eagle.

8 hours ago, carex said:

and Garvin signed with the Seahawks

Ah.  Clearly I have become lackluster in following the offseason. I suck. Thanks fir the update on both. I was thinking we signed Garvin for two years last year and obviously was not tracking on Daniels. Well, here's to hoping spaight improves. 

If the hype on Chase Roullier is real, I would be ecstatic if he is the final piece to completing our all homegrown, young, hogs 2.0 offensive line. 

Best case scenario, Roullier unseats Spencer Long at C, and Arie Kouandjio takes a 3rd-year leap similar to Morgan Moses. Long would then shift back to LG and be Kouandjio's backup and the swing-backup LG/C/RG on gamedays with him now having experience filling in at Center last year.

This would push Lauvao off the roster entirely and we could use the money saved by cutting him to sign other team's camp casualties at positions of need like FS depth (Marcus Gilchrist) or a NT.

It was easy to see that Lauvao was our weakest O-Lineman with the eyeball test, and the PFF grades on our OL back it up. Some of our TE's had better grades than Lauvao, and that's unacceptable for a starting NFL guard. Our run game actually looked great with Arie in the lineup as well, IIRC.

Even if Roullier requires a year of development (which is the more likely scenario I'm afraid), we could do a lot worse than Long at C, and I'm still pulling for Arie to be the starting LG week 1.

Anyone else have an opinion on the LG/C situation? I'm thinking after a year improving his strength in an NFL weight room and learning our offenses terminology and line calls, Chase Roullier will be our starting C for a long time.

I'll wait on making a prediction on Roullier's future position until I see how Long performs this year.  I'm expecting Lauvao to start again, but I'm hoping Kouandijo can earn the spot in TC.  If he does, then it would make sense to cut Lauvao and keep Painter and Roullier.  We kept 9 oline men last year (if I remember right), but with some hard decisions elsewhere, I think 8 makes more sense... especially if Roullier is one of the 8 since he can play as a swing G/C.  

(10) Linebacker:  Kerrigan, Anderson, Galette, Murphy, Smith, Brown, Foster, Compton, Spaight.  Bates, Harvey-Clemons and Carter battle it out for the last spot.  All 3 have different roles though, and it's possible we move Murphy (or Smith) inside.  We kept 9 last year.  

(10) DB:  kept 11 last year.  Norman, Breeland, Fuller, Moreau, Swearinger, Cravens, and Everett make 7.  Nicholson's is very likely to make it given his draft status.  Hall/Blackmon, Dunbar, Simon, Holsey, Nicholson and Smithson battle for the remaining 2 spots (I'm thinking they keep 10 this time).

(7) Dline:  We kept 6 last year... I think they go with 7 this time - Allen, McClain, McGee, Hood, Ioannidas, Lanier and a NT (Taylor, Francis or Mbu).  

(4) TE:  It's possible we go with 3 again if Sprinkle looks good in camp, but my hunch is they keep Paul.  

(6) WR:  I'm guessing 6 again - Pryor, Crowder, Doctson, Harris, Grant and Davis.  This is one spot they could go light on to keep that 4th TE (or back).  I'd take (a healthy) Paul over Grant, or they could PS Davis.  

(3) QB:  Cousins, McCoy and Sudfeld again.  

(3) Running back:  3 again?  Kelley, Perine and Thompson.  Not sure about two things - does Marshall show enough (health-wise and versatility) to stick?, and can Mack Brown be put on the PS again?

That's 51 total, so someone else has to go.  I'd assume either Paul, or a linebacker  (maybe one moves to the line).  If Murphy/Smith move inside, then they're gonna have a tough call on dline - do they cut McGee, Hood, or Ioannidas?  Or do they let those 3 battle at NT and leave off our (solely) NT options?

9 hours ago, DC Lumber Co. said:

If the hype on Chase Roullier is real, I would be ecstatic if he is the final piece to completing our all homegrown, young, hogs 2.0 offensive line. 

Best case scenario, Roullier unseats Spencer Long at C, and Arie Kouandjio takes a 3rd-year leap similar to Morgan Moses. Long would then shift back to LG and be Kouandjio's backup and the swing-backup LG/C/RG on gamedays with him now having experience filling in at Center last year.

This would push Lauvao off the roster entirely and we could use the money saved by cutting him to sign other team's camp casualties at positions of need like FS depth (Marcus Gilchrist) or a NT.

It was easy to see that Lauvao was our weakest O-Lineman with the eyeball test, and the PFF grades on our OL back it up. Some of our TE's had better grades than Lauvao, and that's unacceptable for a starting NFL guard. Our run game actually looked great with Arie in the lineup as well, IIRC.

Even if Roullier requires a year of development (which is the more likely scenario I'm afraid), we could do a lot worse than Long at C, and I'm still pulling for Arie to be the starting LG week 1.

Anyone else have an opinion on the LG/C situation? I'm thinking after a year improving his strength in an NFL weight room and learning our offenses terminology and line calls, Chase Roullier will be our starting C for a long time.

By all accounts Long is a better C than G.

HTTR 

• 3 weeks later...

Looking around, apparently the NFL has made it so you can have up to four players with two years experience on the PS(some sources say two years or more)

That makes guys like Everett, Dunbar and Brown easily eligible 

I think the Skins go with 24 offense, 26 defense, 3 teamers.  9 OL, 6 WR,  3 each, QB, TE RB, 7 DL, 9 LB, 10 DB.  If we keep 4 TE or RB then look at WR to be the spot to lose a player considering we have several talent WR with PS eligibilty.

Guys like Hall and Lauvao only make it as starters with their salary.  Only five OL are set and our starting LG isn't one of them.  However if Lauvao does keep the job then Arie might be beat out.  He has been here three years.

We might actually cut some of the FA we signed, usually a pretty rare occurance.  Brian Quick and Chris Carter are probably on the edge with the number of WR and OLB we've got

The Eagles also picked up ihenacho I think, maybe that was Giants. And Daniels? Not sure why we didn't give him a shot in camp. 

I believe bates is recovering from an acl tear and is an OLB right? The. I'd rather keep spaight. We are deep at OLB. 

I think it's carrier, not paul, who never did much. Plus both just coming off major injuries. Plus paul being well liked and a special  teams phenom..... give me paul every day of the week 

8 minutes ago, Butters20 said:

The Eagles also picked up ihenacho I think, maybe that was Giants. And Daniels? Not sure why we didn't give him a shot in camp. 

I believe bates is recovering from an acl tear and is an OLB right? The. I'd rather keep spaight. We are deep at OLB. 

I think it's carrier, not paul, who never did much. Plus both just coming off major injuries. Plus paul being well liked and a special  teams phenom..... give me paul every day of the week 

Paul had a great year as a starter.  Bates is an OLB with an ACL tear suffered late in the year so he could be a guy who goes to PUP or IR.  And it was the Giants who got Ihenacho.  Looks like the Skins might be getting closer to comp picks

I'm going to be curious to see if one of the Skins' undrafted free agents, Kyle Kalis, manages to do well enough in training camp to slide in for consideration as backup G/C.  It's an uphill battle, but I think he might be able to break through.  While Kalis was a G  at Michigan (2nd team all conference, 2016), he might be an even better fit as a converted center. 

Moreover, from what little film I've seen, I'm not sold on all the hype surrounding Roullier.  Heck, I haven't been convinced that Long was the best center the Skins could decide to build around.  And since Long's a free agent next year, I wonder if he shows enough to make it worthwhile re-signing him at a more expensive contract.

I think Hall and Lauvao are gone.  Hall b/c age and Lauvao b/c production.  If someone can't unseat Lauvao, we have a problem.  Galette is a right-off until he actually produces on the field (meaning, training camp).  Things are looking better than they have in years, excepting the Mirage of 2012.

22 minutes ago, Califan007 said:

Still freaks me out that we have two 1st round draft picks and three 2nd round draft picks in the front 7--that WE actually drafted lol...not someone else's 1st round pick from 2008...

Does it really count if you can't get all of them on the field at the same time?  And not to rain on your parade to much but we had something pretty close as recently as 2014 with two of each.  1st round picks Orakpo and Kerrigan and second rounders Jarvis Jenkins and Trent Murphy

On 5/27/2017 at 11:05 AM, Warhead36 said:

My hope is we can finally cut ties with Hall and Luavao.

Would be nice, but it also seems like there's guys like this every year. Like Golston. Or Reed Doughty. Players the fans hope get replaced because they hope someone else steps up. But with this team it rarely happens. So I'm not super optimistic. though with Hall, the salary alone may force things

Archived