Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

NCAA Tournament Bracket

SkinsGuy

Not sure I've ever seen an ACC team with less offensive talent than this UVA team.  On one hand, it's a heck of a coaching job to drag this wreck into the tourney.  OTOH, what the **** are you doing with your recruiting?!?  UVA can't find a couple gym rats with a solid 3 stroke?

9 hours ago, RichmondRedskin88 said:

Refs in VCU's game were whistle happy. It was 29 fouls on VCU, 16 on SMU at one point. And that wasn't the final total. That was with 10 mins left I think. Nuts.

Rams didn't help their cause.  Lots of extra-aggressive ball checking 50+ feet from the basket.  That's fine against Fordham at the Stu.  It's suicide out west against a team that shoots lights out from the FT line.  Real nice year for our squad though...Exceeded most expectations.

I signed up for a bracket challenge with the local ESPN radio affiliate and for most of one glorious day I was in third place, which put me in the running for nickelback tickets.  LOL.

Virginia Tech and VCU let me down though.  I took all of the Virginia teams in the first round, which I do every year.

I don't like the way they score brackets now online, and I'm a bit surprised that it doesn't get more discussion on a national scale.

Back in the day, you would score your own brackets by hand.  Each round would increase scoring by 1 point, so it was 1,2,3,4,5,6 (for picking the champion).  

Now the scoring is 1,2,4,8,16,32 (for picking the champion).  So in essence, the scoring is so heavily weighted on the later rounds that it renders the opening rounds virtually meaningless.  In fact, it renders the enitre bracket virtually meaningless, because it is virtually impossible to win unless you pick the champion.  

For example, in the old system, a person who picks all the final four teams, the two teams playing in the finals, but misses the champion pick would get 26 points.  A person who picked one final four team, one finals team, and the champion would get 15 points.  It rewards the person who picked correctly 6 times vs. 3 times.  As it should be.

The same scenario under the current system would give the first player 64 points and the second player 56 points.  That's just simply giving the championship game way too much importance.  

The only way a bracket would win without picking the championship team would be a scenario where an underdog (that nobody picks) wins it all.  My lady won when Uconn won it a few years ago because she was the only one to pick UK to make the finals as an 8 seed.  

Archived