Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Moose & Squirrel v Boris & Natasha: what's the deal with the rooskies and trumpland?

Jumbo

On 2/12/2022 at 10:15 PM, The Almighty Buzz said:

Only putting this here because it has the word “Russia” in the article.  Can anyone elaborate more?

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/clinton-s-campaign-paid-tech-firm-to-infiltrate-trump-servers/ar-AATMBcX?li=BBnbcA1

Good reading on the topic.

https://www.wonkette.com/what-the-hell-are-the-wingers-on-about-now-with-john-durham

• Thanks 1

Russia's Lavrov urges Putin to allow more time for diplomacy amid Ukraine crisis

Russian Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov on Monday suggested to President Vladimir Putin that Moscow continue along the diplomatic path in its efforts to extract security guarantees from the West, as tensions soar over Ukraine.

Lavrov told Putin the United States had put forward concrete proposals on reducing military risks, but said responses from the European Union and NATO military alliance had not been satisfactory.

In a televised exchange, Putin was shown asking Lavrov whether there was a chance of reaching an agreement to address Russia’s security concerns, or whether it was just being dragged into tortuous negotiations.

Lavrov replied: “We have already warned more than once that we will not allow endless negotiations on questions that demand a solution today.” But as foreign minister, he said, “I must say there are always chances.”

He added: “It seems to me that our possibilities are far from exhausted… At this stage, I would suggest continuing and building them up.”

Click on the link for the full article

--------------------------------------------------------

Ukraine-Russia tensions: Russia pulls some troops back from border

Russia says it is pulling back some of its troops from near Ukraine after a build-up raised fears of an invasion.

The defence ministry said that large-scale drills continued but that some units were returning to their bases.

There has been no independent confirmation of the withdrawal and international powers have reacted cautiously to the announcement.

More than 100,000 Russian troops have massed at Ukraine's border. Russia has always denied it is planning an attack.

• Thumb up 1

This Surprise ‘Mystery Bridge’ Could Be Putin’s Secret Path to War

Images of the bridge captured by satellite near the Russian border may be spilling the Kremlin’s hidden plans for Ukraine.

Vladimir Putin says Russia is ordering a “partial” drawdown of troops, but satellites overhead are offering a much more mixed picture of the massive Russian military buildup now menacing Ukraine.

Photos taken by the commercial imaging company Planet showed that Russian troops have built a pontoon bridge on Tuesday across the Pripyat river near the Russia-Belarus border. It’s situated near the exclusion zone surrounding the damaged nuclear reactor at Chernobyl in Ukraine, the scene of a 1986 reactor meltdown.

022216-allisonadam-bridge-hero_lqoihi

The imagery comes as Ukraine and NATO countries remain on edge amidst mixed signals about a Russian military buildup on a scale not seen in decades.

It might be time to open a Russia/Ukraine war thread. :( 

My biggest question, and this is a genuine question because I don’t have a full understanding of all the dynamics, but why can’t we (and like a dozen other NATO countries) collectively deploy like 50k troops into Ukraine? Putin might want to invade for whatever reason but he’s not going to authorize attacking troops from US/UK/Germany/France, etc. I know Ukraine isn’t a NATO member but NATO seems to have incentive to try to prevent Russia from invading. 

Edited by TheGoodBits

17 minutes ago, TheGoodBits said:

It might be time to open a Russia/Ukraine war thread. :( 

My biggest question, and this is a genuine question because I don’t have a full understanding of all the dynamics, but why can’t we (and like a dozen other NATO countries) collectively deploy like 50k troops into Ukraine? Putin might want to invade for whatever reason but he’s not going to authorize attacking troops from US/UK/Germany/France, etc. I know Ukraine isn’t a NATO member but NATO seems to have incentive to try to prevent Russia from invading. 

Probably because it’s not worth the risk. Russia already sees western influence in Ukraine as a security threat. One could obliterated imagine how much more serious a threat the would view nato troops actually in Ukraine. 

It would one accident or misunderstanding to cause a full blown war.

If Russia invaded Ukraine, United States influence over Western Europe increases.

• Like 1

‘What Mr. Putin did not want’: U.S. approves $6B tank deal with Poland

The State Department on Friday approved a long-awaited $6 billion deal to sell Poland 250 Abrams tanks, an announcement that comes as more U.S. troops and aircraft flood into the country in the face of a possible Russian invasion of Ukraine.

Defense Secretary Lloyd Austin announced the deal early Friday while in a Warsaw press conference alongside his Polish counterpart Mariusz Blaszczak.

“What Mr. Putin did not want was a stronger NATO on his flank, and that’s exactly what he has today,” Austin said.

• Like 2

Aka the chance at diplomacy is over. I really hope this doesn’t turn into a wider conflict in Europe. But once Russia does decide to invade Ukraine the chances of misunderstanding go up. We all know NATOs response will be to station more troops closer to Eastern Europe, and in turn, russia will send more troops to western Russia. 

I have a hard time believing Russia will do something this stupid. Have they not learned anything from our time in Iraq?

Edited by CousinsCowgirl84
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, CousinsCowgirl84 said:

I have a hard time believing Russia will do something this stupid. Have they not learned anything from our time in Iraq?

If they take the eastern half it should be pretty simple and full of pro-Russia people. 

if they don’t bother with the western half it’ll probably not turn into much. But everything I read says the western half would be almost like another Afghanistan. Terrain makes it impossible to root them out without super high casualties 

25 minutes ago, TheGoodBits said:

Worth a read. 

and consider the long term implications for NATO if Trump is elected in 2024 and removes sanctions on Russia in the midst of our greatest conflict with them since the end of the Cold War. 

Well, the article doesn’t talk about that specifically.  Maybe you can feel us in?

I don’t see it as being that bad. I mean, it further erodes the United States status in the world but I don’t think Germany or France would particularly care if sanctions were lifted. Eastern Europe would feel a little uncomfortable.

China would of course be embolden to take Taiwan, but they are probably going to take it anyway.

I agree with the article, you can basically substitute United States military for NATO though. And Europe will increase its military spending. As long as it doesn’t spill over into major conflict it’s not a bad thing for the Unite States, but as the author pointed out, a lot of countries are going to be on a razors edge.

Russia can play the energy game for another 30-50 years the it has to find another way to influence Europe.