Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2017 Washington Nationals: Wash, Rinse, Repeat

@DCGoldPants

5 hours ago, skinsfan_1215 said:

Our offense didn’t completely sucks for 3 games, we aren’t having this conversation.

This keeps getting lost in the conversations I keep hearing

Game 5 was dumb. So many mistakes, ump was terrible, weird stuff going on.

First 3 games the offense that was dominate throughout the regular season had 1 inning with tons of runs and a ton with essentially nothing. 

The blew great pitching in game 1.

3 hours ago, TMK9973 said:

But when was Max in trouble?  

1st batter -2 pitches 1 out

2nd batter - 2 pitches 1 out

3rd bater - 0-2  - Infield hit....

4th batter -2-2 count, (1 ball looked right down middle) - bloop single that a good LF catches.

5th batter  - Pop up - Werth looks like hes gonna catch it and be done - Loses the ball.  

So at this point - its 5-4 with 2 outs -Max has looked fine.  Just three hit balls - 2 bloopers and 1 infield.  

6th batter -Intentional Walk

7th batter - Strike out swinging -Weiters loses the ball then did a bad throw.  But MAX got the strike out. 

8th batter -on a strike Catches interfence

9th - Max throws his 1st BAD pitch hits him.  

10th batter -pop out.  I mean -by my count - Max pitched one inning and got 5 or 6 outs!  He looked bad only to one hitter....

You have the sequence of events way off. The 5th batter was Russell with a scorcher down the line. Worth losing the ball happened the next inning.

Offseason shopping list:

-Back end of the rotation starter

-Another pen arm, preferably lefty 

-Catcher

Anything else? I'd like to see us look into getting someone young behind Zimmerman that we can groom. While most positions have a young guy on the comeup, we're greying at first base.

11 minutes ago, Bacon said:

Offseason shopping list:

-Back end of the rotation starter

-Another pen arm, preferably lefty 

-Catcher

Anything else? I'd like to see us look into getting someone young behind Zimmerman that we can groom. While most positions have a young guy on the comeup, we're greying at first base.

Priority #1.  Lock up Harper.  Back end rotation starter doesn't matter.  We need a bullpen bridge guy but oops we already have 1 and we didnt use him.  

I think Pedro Severino will likely be the back-up next year to Weiters.

Last night taught me something about our pitchers, particularly the losing pitcher.  Scherzer showed that he is not a big game pitcher.  Yes he got two quick outs against the Cubs two best hitters, but a great pitcher gets that 3rd out without all the drama.  Not an ace at all.  He didn't do last year in Game 5 when he allowed the HR to Pederson and last night was a total disaster.  Strasburg is clearly the #1 here.  Scherzer can have all the double-digit strikeout games he gets, but until he proves it when it matters the most, it means nothing.  

10 minutes ago, SAli457180 said:

Last night taught me something about our pitchers, particularly the losing pitcher.  Scherzer showed that he is not a big game pitcher.  Yes he got two quick outs against the Cubs two best hitters, but a great pitcher gets that 3rd out without all the drama.  Not an ace at all.  He didn't do last year in Game 5 when he allowed the HR to Pederson and last night was a total disaster.  Strasburg is clearly the #1 here.  Scherzer can have all the double-digit strikeout games he gets, but until he proves it when it matters the most, it means nothing.  

Meh, that's like saying Kershaw isn't an ace. Greinke was very hittable in his two starts this postseason. Is he not an ace? Everyone says he is, so what happened? 

Is Murphy not worth keeping around because he only dominates some playoff series but not others?

These are the questions we get to spend the next five months pondering. Goody. 

Players who will make as much as Harper get a say on the coaches. If they are going to have him be your captain. That means he's here for a bit. The NY stuff is based on  big stein being alive. If the learners want to make it about dollars. They could keep matching and beating anybody. 

Did I mention Farrell? Yeah. Get him for 4-5 years. Keep working the minor leagues. 

Don Wakamatsu

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Don_Wakamatsu

As player

As manager

As coach

Career highlights and awards

Following his playing retirement, Wakamatsu became a minor league manager in the Arizona Diamondbacks system

Wakamatsu born to a Japanese American father and an Irish American mother, he is fourth-generation Japanese American; and the first half-Asian and half-Caucasian manager in Major League Baseball history. Close friends and players call him "Wak" (pronounced wok). His father was born in the Tule Lake War Relocation Center, a Japanese American internment camp located in Northern California near the Oregon border.

http://www.kansascity.com/sports/mlb/kansas-city-royals/article176519021.html

OCTOBER 02, 2017 8:06 AM

On the first day of the offseason, the Royals shook up their coaching staff, parting ways with pitching coach Dave Eiland and bench coach Don Wakamatsu.

https://www.seattletimes.com/sports/mariners/former-mariner-manager-don-wakamatsu-itching-to-get-back-into-leading-role/

Former Mariner manager Don Wakamatsu itching to get back into leading role

“He’s very smart,” Royals manager Ned Yost said. “He’s got great baseball experience. He’s a great communicator. He’s great in the clubhouse with our guys and thoroughly prepared every single day. He gets here early. His workday starts about 4½ to 5 hours before the game even starts. He’s getting all of his homework and information together to help me in any way he can.”

Wakamatsu worked as John Farrell’s bench coach for two seasons with the Blue Jays. He then spent the 2013 season scouting for the Yankees before joining Yost’s staff in Kansas City. He’s learned plenty about himself and baseball

“Number one, you have no idea what it’s like until you go through it, no matter how much you think you do,” he said. “So the experience was invaluable." 

"The second part is understanding how much a team has to come together to accomplish those things and how much certain things affect that. The biggest thing when we won last year was getting walked off in Game 7 the year before and having that thorn in our side. We felt it all year long. We wanted to do it and we wanted to accomplish what we didn’t in 2014.”

On 10/13/2017 at 8:34 PM, SAli457180 said:

this is sincerely one of the dumbest baseball takes I have read

like Skip Bayless level

Yeah, about to be a back-to-back Cy Young winner is not an ace. Let me know what this hit probability was on all three of the Cubs hits that inning--infield hit, bloop, and a grounder that sneaks inside the bag. Fluke plays, Matt Wieters sucking, and Jerry Layne cost us way more than anything Scherzer did.

3 hours ago, StillUnknown said:

this is sincerely one of the dumbest baseball takes I have read

like Skip Bayless level

Instead of insulting, how about engaging  in some intelligent conversation.  SMH!  Very disappointed.  Point to one postseason start when Max has come up big.  I haven't seen one yet.

If you're gonna come in here and make a claim as absurd as Max Scherzer isn't an ace then you are...to try to avoid getting in trouble, not very smart and probably don't watch baseball at all.

My post mortem will come tomorrow by the way boys. Sorry, had a busy weekend. It will be worth reading i assure you.

9 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

If you're gonna come in here and make a claim as absurd as Max Scherzer isn't an ace then you are...to try to avoid getting in trouble, not very smart and probably don't watch baseball at all.

My comments were regarding his postseason statistics as a member of the Nationals.  A 2-time Cy Young award winner from both leagues.  The guy has amazing hit and miss stuff that any franchise would love to have.  What he's done in the regular hasn't translated in the postseason.  It should, but just hasn't.  

So...the 2017 season....

First off, this was a hell of a regular season. We saw the rebirth of Zimmerman and Gonzalez. We saw Rendon play at an MVP level. We saw Stras look like a Cy Young candidate post injury and Scherzer continue his greatness. We saw Taylor finally grow up. I know its easy to forget all that because of what happened over five days in October, but we did have a damn good and entertaining season.

And the injuries...good grief all the injuries. But we weathered the storm. We didn't just survive, we thrived. How many teams would win 97 games despite losing as many guys as we did for long periods of time? A testament to both good team building by Rizzo and good management by Baker.  Of course there was the bullpen early, something Rizzo didn't address until later. If we had the same pen all year we probably win over 100 games even with all the injuries. Pretty remarkable.

Because of all this, I'd bring the team back. I hear fans screaming about how we should gut everything and start over, but I still like this team and roster. We get Eaton back hopefully healthy. We get rid of Werth's albatross contract, maybe use that money freed up to get another SP and slide Gonzalez and Roark down a couple slots. Everyone else of importance will be back, at least for one more year, so lets take one more shot at this.

And yes, that includes the manager, good ol Dusty Baker. My response when people say we should can him is: who are we going to get that's better? I think the effect of Managers is largely overrated. Farrell made big errors for the Red Sox. Ditto Girardi for the Yankees. Hell Maddon did too. And all those guys have rings. Hell Ned freaking Yost won a ring with the Royals a couple years back. I'll take the Manager who can guide my team over 162 games and take my chances in October.

Baseball is a strange game. I think it was stevemcqueen who said it best, it is essentially a series of random events. Over 162 games and 6 months, the randomness evens out and you have good teams rise to the top, but in October everything is magnified. And right now, as much as I hate to say it, but this team appears to be psychologically weak in the biggest of moments come playoff time. But again, is the solution to blow it up? I'm not so sure. Last thing I want is more 2009-2010 like seasons. Personally, I enjoy winning 95+ games and getting to the playoffs every year. After that, who the hell knows.

We still have a damn good ballclub, at least for one more year. Now after 2018, we could see massive changes, but until then, lets retool some over the Winter and take a shot at winning 100 games and take our chances again next October.

See this through to whatever end. I imagine anyone who suffered through the dark days of this franchise, wouldn't be so quick to give this up (as painful as the DS losses are) for that dark hallway again, hoping that your shiny paper prospects become even half of what some of the current guys bring to the table

Archived