Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2017 Washington Nationals: Wash, Rinse, Repeat

@DCGoldPants

14 hours ago, LLandryistheshiz said:

This was incredibly helpful. You just take 8th St or 11th St up to Penn Ave/Independence then I assume?

Yeah, I take toll road to 66, hit Independance all the way to Pennsylvania,  left on 11th St down to M St where I take a right, and Lot W is like 2 blocks up (large lot on right after 7th).

4 minutes ago, @SkinsGoldPants said:

Interesting point on pricing. Not knowing the math at all. I would think selling out the park as much as possible would make them money from other things people would spend on around the park. Food, Schwag. 

I think the Nats incorrectly assumed that the Chicago games would all sell out even at the higher prices. But it's a pre-ASG series against a non-division opponent, even if they are the defending WS champs. 

Adding: having it be a four game series probably hurt too. Local Chicago residents that wanted to see their team, or Nats fans that wanted to see one game out of this series, get divided by four games instead of three.

Barry hits it on the head. A Monday - Thursday series against the Cubs should be a sell out. I dont mind a variable pricing for full and half season tickets holders vs single game tickets. But a Series in June on a non-hoilday weekend should not be a "Diamond" game. They were blocked from different mini-game plans, the Nats rellly shot themselves in the foot with this one.  

3 minutes ago, skinsfan_1215 said:

I think the Nats incorrectly assumed that the Chicago games would all sell out even at the higher prices. But it's a pre-ASG series against a non-division opponent, even if they are the defending WS champs. 

Adding: having it be a four game series probably hurt too. Local Chicago residents that wanted to see their team, or Nats fans that wanted to see one game out of this series, get divided by four games instead of three.

That's a fair point. What bugs me the most in baseball is that the seats behind home plate are sold out for a ton. But those people aren't always going or are late, or are in the Prez club eating. I'd want those seats filled on TV every game. I know it's a loss of $$ for the team. But imagine if those seats were never available to season tix. They were sold day of for walk-ups. You'd have a line for them every single game. The section behind home base would be insane on TV every game.

Then again....$$$

This is a very diverse offense. Nats win 6-1, stealing 7 bases, taking 6 walks, going 5-15 with RISP--with only 1 XBH. Last night, win 8-4 bashing bombs. We can do the little things, we can mash, we can steal, we can pitch (not you bullpen, even though you've been better). This is a fun team to watch...most nights.

Very fun team! Health down the stretch is going to be key.  This team has never gone into the playoffs with their opening day line up. 2012 - no stras, 2014 - No Zimm, 2016 - No Stras or Ramos.  This year that's already the case with no Eaton.  If Max, Stras, and Gio stay healthy and continue pitching like this, beating the Nats in a 7 game series with each of them getting two starts is going to be extremely hard for any club.  Now, they just need to make it out of that pesky first round 

I believe attendance across the board in MLB is down. I've seen Yankees and Cardinals games on ESPN Sunday Nights with empty seats.

In general people aren't going to sporting events as much anymore, at least not regular season.

Me personally I don't really go to games. I have a nice big flat screen and I'd rather sit on my couch in A/C then sit in the humidity, deal with traffic and drunken idiots, etc.

BA midseason report:

Best Player

The organization’s top prospect has taken his game up a level this season, according to farm director Mark Scialabba.

Center fielder Victor Robles, a 20-year-old righthanded batter, shined in the first half at high Class A Potomac after spending the second half there last year. He hit .299/.391/.534 through 60 games with seven home runs and 13 stolen bases in 19 attempts.

“Robles continues to mature in all phases, and physically he’s much stronger,” Scialabba said of the Carolina League all-star. “He’s improved his jumps, angles and routes in center field and continues to impact the game in the field, at the plate and on the basepaths.”

In the second half of 2016 at Potomac, Robles hit .262/.354/.387 in 41 games. He also missed about three weeks after being hit in the hand with a fastball. Organization officials believed that adversity was a positive for Robles, and he was proving them right with his first half this year.

Biggest Leap Forward

The Nationals had a less-expected all-star performance in the first half from low Class A Hagerstown outfielder Daniel Johnson.

A 2016 fifth-round pick out of New Mexico State, the lefthanded-hitting Johnson hit .310/.375/.569 with 16 home runs through 68 games for the Suns. He led the South Atlantic League in homers and slugging.

“Johnson is becoming a student of the game in all phases,” Scialabba said. “He’s improved his strike-zone discipline. He’s aggressive on pitches he can handle in the strike zone and displaying impressive power to the deep part of the field.”

Johnson had played all three outfield positions for manager Patrick Anderson. After occasionally hitting ninth early in the season, the 21-year-old played his way into the top of the lineup. He was also progressing in other areas and learning to make the most of his plus speed in the outfield.

“He’s made strides on the defensive side of the ball and has impressed our staff with his consistent work ethic, energy and positive attitude,” Scialabba said.

Read more at http://www.baseballamerica.com/minors/victor-robles-levels/#XMzO2dmPOZ6PbgMy.99

The Athletics do not feel a need to wait until the deadline to begin moving veterans, sources tell MLB.com’s Mark Feinsand.

That may be true even (or especially) in the case of Sonny Gray.

While he’s controllable, and doesn’t have to be traded, a rival exec says he thinks OAK will be interested in dealing him early to avoid a month of injury risk.

Blue Jays closer Roberto Osuna told Sportsnet’s Arden Zwelling and other reporters that he has been dealing with anxiety issues in recent days and is unsure as to when he’ll be back on the mound amid trade rumblings in a hot market for closers and bullpen.

Osuna said via an interpreter. “This has nothing to do with me being on the field. I feel great out there."

The organization’s head of mental performance, Paddy Steinfort, has been working with Osuna during this period and declined a interview on Osuna’s status.

Currently the Blue Jays are in last place in the AL East.

Archived