Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Official Trump Does East Asia Thread

FanboyOf91

This deserves its own thread.

When experts and diplomats say that the PRC leadership sees Taiwan as a core interest, they don't mean "really really important". They mean "the Chinese people will ****ing kill us if we let the renegade province declare independence".

And Trump saying Taiwan was on the table for a deal on trade, the South China Sea disputes, and North Korea was an amazing own goal. Way to demoralize an ally!

My impression has always been that Taiwan is actually okay with the 1 China policy because they do not want to upset China.  Their economy is very dependent on trade with China, and they don't want a war with China  I wonder if he's upsetting Taiwan and China with some of this.

1 minute ago, Kilmer17 said:

Seriously.  That's all I can figure as well.

He's in way over his head. He has zero grasp on foreign policy. And he doesn't strike me as someone that's going to take the time to try to understand various issues at stake before hopping on the phone with world leaders and spouting off whatever comes to mind first. 

If Trump thinks public affront to a critical Chinese position is a good way to get the Chinese government to cave on other monetary issues, he is out of his mind and he has morons advising him.  In fact, if he wanted to ensure that the Chinese cannot cave, this would probably be the best way to go.  The fact that he plainly stated his intention on national TV is just a nail in the coffin.

On 12/12/2016 at 2:15 PM, Kilmer17 said:

can anyone point to a reason for acting this way?  Even if you don't agree with it.  

I cant come up with any positive end result. 

Russia wants a greater sphere of influence in Asia and undermining China is one way to do that. 

I would not be surprised if you start hearing about Russian/Japanese alignment soon.

Japan has already been investing heavily in Russian oil and gas lately.

http://oilprice.com/Energy/Energy-General/How-Russia-Japan-Energy-Relations-Are-Reshaping-Geopolitics.html

Just now, No Excuses said:

If this is serious, he should do the bare minimum and have Trumps people take lead. His problem.

I'm certainly no fan of Trump.  And think he will be a disaster.  But Obama has been in charge for 8 years, and allowed both China and Russia to become MORE powerful and MORE of a threat.  This failure is his.

Archived