Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ESPN - Matthew Stafford, Lions passing game will test Redskins

HapHaszard

I hate seeing stats that make you automatically assume things about the game, because then I start coming up with nightmare scenarios in my head like Cousins throws for 350 yards but has 2 interceptions including a red zone pick.  Sometimes the matchups in certain areas seem so overwhelmingly favored towards the 'Skins that you almost assume the actual results will be somewhat disappointing. 

7 minutes ago, Hail4Life said:

Good news is Lions defense can't stop the run or pass...at least according to statistics, I haven't watched them this year.  If we can run, run, and run to keep the Staff infection off the field we can win this game.

The Lions defense has been frustrating to watch all year. The Rams game for example. They made Case Keenum look all-world, and Gurley looked like he might get his groove back. Then, just before the half, they get a big 4th down stop at the 1 yard line. Start the 2nd half, same as the first half. Stop nothing, let the Rams score at will. Final drive, end the 2nd game in a row with an interception.

It's like they show up only when it's a last minute, desperation, blow-this-and-lose type of scenario. The rest of the time it's like the defense is that old football game where you stand the guys on the table and watch as it vibrates them around like zombies on crack, and the opposing offense can do whatever they want.

On 10/19/2016 at 8:49 PM, Diehard Otis said:

Agreed.  But let me be clear; I know winning at Ford Field is no given.  The Lions have the ability to end the streak, any given Sunday & all.

But I can't let it go - they are our layup.  It's been that way for too many years (& Stafford has the audacity to think that he should beat us!).  I fully expect us to roll.  We own them.

" Unlike earlier renditions of the Redskins, the 1948 squad had no problems locating the end zone as they put 46 points on the board behind four Sammy Baugh touchdown passes. That number still stands as the most points the Redskins have scored against the Lions. "

That could be broken this weekend...

42 minutes ago, Stefanskins said:

" Unlike earlier renditions of the Redskins, the 1948 squad had no problems locating the end zone as they put 46 points on the board behind four Sammy Baugh touchdown passes. That number still stands as the most points the Redskins have scored against the Lions. "

That could be broken this weekend...

And I'm all for it.  Obviously, in Pro Football, style points mean nothing.  HOWEVER, those little cowardly lions couldn't have come along at a better time.  I am convinced that we will soundly beat them like a conga drum, and in the process thunderously proclaim our re-emergence.

It is most fitting this way.

50 minutes ago, Diehard Otis said:

And I'm all for it.  Obviously, in Pro Football, style points mean nothing.  HOWEVER, those little cowardly lions couldn't have come along at a better time.  I am convinced that we will soundly beat them like a conga drum, and in the process thunderously proclaim our re-emergence.

I won't say you are wrong, because Lions... But the Eagles and Rams fans were saying the same thing before their games against Detroit. And they were just as correct as you are. On paper, there aren't many teams that look worse than the Lions right now, but they seem to have a knack for showing up against teams that should, as you say, beat them like a conga drum. I'm not expecting the Lions to win, but I won't be surprised if they do.

43 minutes ago, melvin2345 said:

I won't say you are wrong, because Lions... But the Eagles and Rams fans were saying the same thing before their games against Detroit. And they were just as correct as you are. On paper, there aren't many teams that look worse than the Lions right now, but they seem to have a knack for showing up against teams that should, as you say, beat them like a conga drum. I'm not expecting the Lions to win, but I won't be surprised if they do.

And I do not necessarily object to any portion of your post Melvin.  But I have been quite vocal on here this week about us bringing a hammer to Ford Field & bashing the Lions' heads in with it.  

Now that may not happen.  We may simply Win the ballgame as we've been doing.  Or worse yet, [gasp!] lose.  As we know, anything could happen.

Now with that said, I strongly believe that we are going to show them who's boss.  It simply cannot go any other way in my mind, because we always, ALWAYS beat them.  Just like we always beat the Bears & the Saints.  Check this link to see what I mean.  
(This is the link to the Chicago series record.  And here is the link to the New Orleans series record.)

Just look at how many green W's you see towards the bottom of the page for our team versus theirs over the years.

This is what emboldens my confidence regarding the upcoming matchup.  When these teams are on Washington's Schedule, mark a W next to that game.

7 hours ago, Diehard Otis said:

can i like this twice??

27 minutes ago, Diehard Otis said:

Haha, just like in the good ol' days Stefanskins.  Remember?       :redskins-3908:

ahhh yes...n we're getting there!! HTTR!!!

Gary Clark was inducted into the Redskins Ring of Honor on October 7, 2007 and concluded his speech with, "We are going to spank Detroit's butt." The Redskins won the game, 34-3.

My worry is that Stafford has a certain "DGAF" mentality when he needs to, and Marvin Jones is great in contested catch situations. Luckily our current CB's are better at playing the ball in the air than any group I can ever remember rooting for in my lifetime.

On 10/19/2016 at 11:33 AM, NoCalMike said:

After seeing what the defense did to Philly last week, I really am sort of baffled at what to expect week to week. The defense has been getting better every week since their abysmal performance against Dallas in Week 2, but I never expected them to do what they did to Philly with the current personnel.  

This.

It is really on us not the Lions how this game goes.  Lets face it the Eagles which IMO we clobbered last week the only reason they lost their game against them was because of an untimely turnover plus a slew of penalties.  We must keep penalties down.  

If we play mistake free football I seriously doubt they can match up against our running game (can you believe we are actually saying that?) and our passing game.  We played top 5 Ds in the Ravens and Eagles back to back and we moved the ball very well against them.  

Detroit doesn't have the running game of the Ravens or Eagles but the trick here is for our DL to tackle well.  If we do then our CBs and safeties will make it very difficult for Stafford to consistently complete passes.

Its going to be an interesting game no question about it, but just limiting penalties and no turnovers will go a long way towards us getting a W.

It is really fortunate for us that Theo Riddick is going to be out this weekend. He's exactly the type of dude that eats us up in the short passing game. Dwayne Washington (if he plays) can also be a dangerous receiver but I'm not nearly as worried about him. 

2 hours ago, Gregpeck99 said:

Does anyone have vid-hilites of the 1991 season opener shellacking of the Lions at RFK?

Near perfect game by Skins!

Don't have that game, but here is a list of some of ESPN's "NFL Primetime" shows that have highlights every week of the 1991 season:

Just search through the clips, you'll see some great stuff from the 1991 season (you won't see anything from the game you are asking about, though, as that was a night game).

On 10/21/2016 at 4:01 PM, Koolblue13 said:

Lions remind me of the occasionally hot Falcon teams. You know they're going to suck and eventually the do, but they get unexplainable hot streaks, before their balloon explodes.

In 2014, the Lions went 5-3 over the 2nd half of their season (after starting 6-2). After Jim Bob Cooter fully took over at OC, the Lions finished 6-2 last year (after starting 1-7). Including this season, they are 9-5 since JBC started calling the offense. My hope for the Lions is that staying .500 or better is their slow start, and they finish strong like last year. Starting hot and imploding is what they used to be known for. Last couple years though, they have actually been finishing seasons pretty strong.

2 hours ago, melvin2345 said:

In 2014, the Lions went 5-3 over the 2nd half of their season (after starting 6-2). After Jim Bob Cooter fully took over at OC, the Lions finished 6-2 last year (after starting 1-7). Including this season, they are 9-5 since JBC started calling the offense. My hope for the Lions is that staying .500 or better is their slow start, and they finish strong like last year. Starting hot and imploding is what they used to be known for. Last couple years though, they have actually been finishing seasons pretty strong.

Ya know how the Redskins are always dogged in the media, power rankings and odds? It's because of 20 years of mostly consistent failure.

The lions have done it for a much much longer time. You suck. If not now, then soon 

I'm sorry, you seem like a nice, intelligent and respectful lions fan, but that's as nice as I can be the day before we play you.

HTTR!!!

21 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

Ya know how the Redskins are always dogged in the media, power rankings and odds? It's because of 20 years of mostly consistent failure.

The lions have done it for a much much longer time. You suck. If not now, then soon 

I'm sorry, you seem like a nice, intelligent and respectful lions fan, but that's as nice as I can be the day before we play you.

HTTR!!!

No argument from me that the Lions are historically worse than the Redskins. That's simple fact.

But what happened over the past 20 years is irrelevant to tomorrow's game. Looking more recently, last 5 years (more likely chance that some of those players are still playing), the Lions are 39-41 with 2 winning seasons. The Redskins are 31-49 with 2 winning seasons. Neither team has much to brag about. Further, I'm sure each team looks much different than it did even from 5 years ago, so the most rational method of projecting each team's success would be to look at last season for recent performance, and the season before for the beginning of a trend. Based on that, the statement, "You know they're going to suck and eventually the do, but they get unexplainable hot streaks, before their balloon explodes" makes no sense when speaking about the Lions, since they have finished strong the past two seasons.

As far as "You suck. If not now, then soon", that could easily apply to the Redskins just as much as it could apply to the Lions. You know what they say about glass houses and all that.

Archived