Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ESPN - Matthew Stafford, Lions passing game will test Redskins

HapHaszard

45 minutes ago, RedBeast said:

@Diehard Otis like the game plan, but we need to also be smart, as well as fold in a few new wrinkles on both sides. The most important thing is not to be predictable IMO. Thats all 3 phases of the game.

No penalty fests, injuries or sloppy gameplay. Execute; fiercely.

Agreed.  But let me be clear; I know winning at Ford Field is no given.  The Lions have the ability to end the streak, any given Sunday & all.

But I can't let it go - they are our layup.  It's been that way for too many years (& Stafford has the audacity to think that he should beat us!).  I fully expect us to roll.  We own them.

5 hours ago, Diehard Otis said:

Agreed.  But let me be clear; I know winning at Ford Field is no given.  The Lions have the ability to end the streak, any given Sunday & all.

But I can't let it go - they are our layup.  It's been that way for too many years (& Stafford has the audacity to think that he should beat us!).  

Probably because he has yet to lose to us, since we have dropped 3 in a row, and 2 in Detroit. I have no Earthly idea what streak you are referring to...

2 hours ago, Koolblue13 said:

I guess we can stop crying about difficult schedules for now on, right?

When the Lions are looking like one of your toughest games on the schedule and not the Panthers or Cards, I think it's time to stop using it as a reason to be concerned.

Well you know, at the end of the season after we've wrapped up a 12-4 record the naysayers will say "yeah, but you had an easy schedule" or "the refs were on your side" or "of course you could do it when you've got the media on your side".

Seriously though. There was a guy on the radio the other day saying that our wins (Philly, Baltimore, Cleveland, NYG) were against easy teams and we lost to the only good teams we faced (Pitt and Dallas). I heard that (and I think he was from Philly) and just shook my head.

8 minutes ago, Thinking Skins said:

Well you know, at the end of the season after we've wrapped up a 12-4 record the naysayers will say "yeah, but you had an easy schedule" or "the refs were on your side" or "of course you could do it when you've got the media on your side".

Seriously though. There was a guy on the radio the other day saying that our wins (Philly, Baltimore, Cleveland, NYG) were against easy teams and we lost to the only good teams we faced (Pitt and Dallas). I heard that (and I think he was from Philly) and just shook my head.

I saw someone last week say that our schedule is even scarier now that the assumed good teams suck. :rofl89:

People like being scared I guess.

19 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

I saw someone last week say that our schedule is even scarier now that the assumed good teams suck. :rofl89:

People like being scared I guess.

I think we're just used to it.  :hitfan: can happen at any moment. 

But we're hopeful, and that's what makes us ES.:redskins-3908:

5 hours ago, Cooleyfan1993 said:

Our current 4 game winning streak, I'm gusssing?

4 hours ago, Mr. Sinister said:

Oh.... Right. My bad, Otis

Actually, I was referring to the series history.  We have always beaten Detroit thru the years (including 21 straight in DC, including the Playoffs).  Here's the series history to prove the point.

http://www.footballdb.com/teams/nfl/detroit-lions/teamvsteam?opp=32

But since Stafford was drafted, they broke the mold.  They actually Won in DC!  And that's unacceptable - it's time to remind them of the rules on Sunday. 

1 hour ago, Thinking Skins said:

Teams are still being figured out. You can't really tell if teams are actually good or bad until week 8 and beyond. Except Baltimore and Cleveland. They are, in fact, bad teams. Philly had a good start, but they seem to be falling apart. Giants remind me of the Lions in that they lose games they should win and win games they should lose. The Steelers aren't the same Steelers as years past and Dallas looks pretty legit.

Point is, who gives a rat's ass what the schedule looks like in terms of ease or difficulty. You have to play the teams in front of you. A win is a win.

1 hour ago, melvin2345 said:

Teams are still being figured out. You can't really tell if teams are actually good or bad until week 8 and beyond. Except Baltimore and Cleveland. They are, in fact, bad teams. Philly had a good start, but they seem to be falling apart. Giants remind me of the Lions in that they lose games they should win and win games they should lose. The Steelers aren't the same Steelers as years past and Dallas looks pretty legit.

Point is, who gives a rat's ass what the schedule looks like in terms of ease or difficulty. You have to play the teams in front of you. A win is a win.

All your points make sense, but its just how you (the fans) interpret the value of your own team. For instance, Skins fans were unwilling to give Cousins a contract based on him not beating "good" teams. As of now, he's beat some good teams, but if those teams all go on to be 6-10 does that mean he still has that monkey on his back?

I don't even like thinking of the whole good team / bad team label. Some teams are good offenses or good defenses. Some good offenses are good at passing or good at running. Some are good at passing short vs passing long. Some are good at spreading the ball around vs depending on their number 1 WR.  There are so many variables that go into it. I've said it many times, but I think its all about matchups. That's why I really believe the whole "any given Sunday" mantra.

And then there are things like "confuse young QBs" or "rookies make mistakes" and a lot of other things that people use against us (or teams in general), but the truth is that for most, if not all players (rookies included) they were probably in the top 1% of college players playing football in the Nation. So there's a basic question of "is this guy a complete and total dud" and as long as that's not true (and sometimes if it is) there's a realistic chance that he can beat you on any given play in any given game. If he puts together enough of those good plays he can suddenly win a game.

I think the Lions are a good team, but I think we match up well with them. Stafford has weapons and will test our third (fourth) corners, so the Roberts on Dunbar matchup will be one to watch (remember, Dunbar was beat in the preseason twice by Roberts with Blackmon helping over the top). But Luck had his best game of the season against Detroit. Then Mariota had a 75% completion rate in week 2. Then Rogers threw 4 TDs in week 3. Then Weintz had an OK game. Then Keenan had a 127 rating. So they can definitely be beat via the pass, which is our stronghold. Further they've given up 100+ yards in 4 of the 6 games this year so they can be beat via the run. I'm interested in seeing Ngata on Scherff cause I think that could decide how effective Matt Jones is (he has no vision unless the hole is right in front of him).

1 hour ago, Thinking Skins said:

I think the Lions are a good team

You're being too kind. To your previous point about distinguishing between good offenses and good defenses instead of just good teams, the Lions have a good offense, but our defense is bad. Worst in the league bad. The only reason they aren't 0-6 is Stafford.

At 3-3, the point differential is 150 for, 153 against. 56-67 in losses, 94-86 in wins. The average point differential in each game, win or lose, is 3.17 points with the biggest differential being a 7 point loss against the Packers.

With even an average defense, the Lions could be sitting at 6-0 right now.

As far as the match up, here's how I see it based on what little I know (or think I know) about the Redskins:

The Lions are a good passing team, but Washington has good pass defense.

The Lions suck at running the ball, but Washington doesn't defend the run well.

Washington is a decent passing team and a good rushing team, Detroit's whole defense is awful.

In my view, the Lions offense has to find a way to score early and often just to keep up with the Redskins offense. Washington clearly has the advantage in this one. The Lions can win if their defense eats all the Wheaties and shows signs of life, or if the Redskins offense makes a bunch of mistakes. I just don't see either of those happening. I'd love for my Lions to win 3 in a row, but if forced to predict a score, I'd say something like Washington 35 - Detroit 30

5 hours ago, skinsmarydu said:

I think we're just used to it.  :hitfan: can happen at any moment. 

But we're hopeful, and that's what makes us ES.:redskins-3908:

I've been a die-hard since 1972.  From 1972 to 1992, there was rarely I game I thought we had no significant chance to win.  It took years to beat that expectation out of me but the years since Joe Gibbs 2, I think that the expectation has been beaten out of me :chair:

19 minutes ago, Thinking Skins said:

I'm a big fan of Cousins and stay out of the "not impressed" thread for this reason, but 14/4 vs 9/6 makes a big difference.

I agree. But the position is that Stafford is having a "career year" and most think Cousins is having a down year so far. 

Also Detroit has virtually no running game, which skews passing stats. 

19 minutes ago, Thinking Skins said:

I'm a big fan of Cousins and stay out of the "not impressed" thread for this reason, but 14/4 vs 9/6 makes a big difference.

Especially because if Kirk had just two fewer interceptions we might be 5-1 including a 31-13 win over Cleveland.  Take away another one and we could be coming off a 27-13 (or better) win against a very hot divisional opponent.  The media would be wondering if the Redskins were about to run away with the division.

9 minutes ago, Master Blaster said:

I agree. But the position is that Stafford is having a "career year" and most think Cousins is having a down year so far. 

Also Detroit has virtually no running game, which skews passing stats. 

But career year for Stafford is only in terms of Ints. he's put up the 4500+ and even 5000 yards in a season. He has just been bad with the TDs and Ints. Honestly, if Cousins could put up Stafford's year last year 4200//32/13 with a 67 completion percentage then he'd have justified his contract.

On 10/19/2016 at 11:33 AM, NoCalMike said:

After seeing what the defense did to Philly last week, I really am sort of baffled at what to expect week to week. The defense has been getting better every week since their abysmal performance against Dallas in Week 2, but I never expected them to do what they did to Philly with the current personnel.  

Yeah, but the counter argument to that would be to note that the Philly game looks to be an extreme outlier.  (For both teams.) 

It's at least possible that it's just a fluke. 

But hey.  I'm a fan.  So I'm going to assume that it's the start of a season-long trend.  :)

On 10/19/2016 at 9:16 AM, Thinking Skins said:

So, I was looking at some metrics this morning and the Lions OL is not rated too high (https://www.profootballfocus.com/pro-ranking-all-32-nfl-offensive-lines-entering-week-5-2/)

Looking at some metrics this morning and the Lions OL is not rated too high (https://www.profootballfocus.com/pro-ranking-all-32-nfl-offensive-lines-entering-week-5-2/ )

19 hours ago, Thinking Skins said:

But career year for Stafford is only in terms of Ints. he's put up the 4500+ and even 5000 yards in a season. He has just been bad with the TDs and Ints. Honestly, if Cousins could put up Stafford's year last year 4200//32/13 with a 67 completion percentage then he'd have justified his contract.

Career year for Stafford only in terms of Ints. he's put up the 4500+ /even 5000 yds in a season. He has just been bad with the TDs and Ints

gems to good not too share...

1 hour ago, Califan007 said:

Lions have the absolute worst passing defense in the NFL...it's insane how "healthy" opposing QBs end up looking against them. Cousins and the Redskins better end up continuing that trend.

When Casey Keenam (however you spell that, I don't care) looks like Tom Freaking Brady against you, Cousins better be licking his chops. Djax too.

One of the fastest tracks in the league and nobody to stop us. I hope they pound the ball a lot, but we have the ability to get behind any defense we want and it should absolutely explode this week.

11 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

When Casey Keenam (however you spell that, I don't care) looks like Tom Freaking Brady against you, Cousins better be licking his chops. Djax too.

One of the fastest tracks in the league and nobody to stop us. I hope they pound the ball a lot, but we have the ability to get behind any defense we want and it should absolutely explode this week.

I don't remember where I saw the stats, but the difference in QBR between what opposing QBs normally had versus what they had against the Lions' defense was off the charts lol...like 10-20 rating points better or something. And that includes Casey Kasem.

1 hour ago, Califan007 said:

I don't remember where I saw the stats, but the difference in QBR between what opposing QBs normally had versus what they had against the Lions' defense was off the charts lol...like 10-20 rating points better or something. And that includes Casey Kasem.

I remember seeing his stats on the ticker last week and thought to myself "holy ****, Rams must be really good!", then I remembered "Lions".

I don't know if our defense matches up as well as it did against the Eagles, but pass rush and good corners should make for a fun day for us.

FS play is going to be very important. Really wish Reaper didn't start that Blackmon thread. :ols:

Archived