Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Stranger Things on Netflix

Springfield

is it something that is watchable by kids ?

i have 3 daughters, 11 13 14, and would like to find more stuff that we can BOTH enjoy.   We have been watching "Poirot", "Death in Paradise", and "Malcolm in the Middle" lately :)

Depends on you and your kids. The series has pg-13 level violence including gun and supernatural (monster) violence both resulting in death. Not a tremendous amount of it though, it's not an action packed series. Also at least one episode with teen drinking and sex (no nudity).

Just finished and I liked it a lot. 

Definitely teared up and was bummed out when Elle died but was happy to see Hoppeesvjng her food implying she was still alive. That must have been the significance of the government car ride he took late in the finale. 

There were some inconsistencies  which didn't make sense to me, like shooting jr diner owner who knew nothing yet letting Hopper walk out alive twice after breaking into the Hawkins facility and discovering everything. 

Also, Nancy and Jonathan set the beast on fire and dang near killed it but 10 guys shooting it with machine guns did nothing at the end. Minor annoyances more than actual problems. 

Seems like Will is now a sort of harbinger to the alternate dimension with whatever was planted inside him. Either that or he was a carrier and threw up another slug that would grow into the monster again. 

Loved the cast and their acting they all did extremely well and were likable or hatable as needed. I tried to name some standouts and really couldn't because they all shined in their roles pretty much.

cant wait for sesson 2. They should release this series near Halloween each year 

• 3 weeks later...

I started watching this show this past Friday. I had heard good things from a couple people but went into with no expectations.

It totally blew me away. The herb may have had something to do with it...however I felt the pacing was perfect, the writing is smart, and the characters are totally believable and likable. They really nailed the 80's vibe in the show. 

Also, I love the music.

Can't wait for season 2!

Edit: Yes, after 1 episode I kept having flashbacks to Super 8 but I definitely liked Stranger Things more than Super 8. As someone else mentioned, Stranger Things had 8 hours to play out compared to 2 hours for Super 8 so that probably has a lot to do with it.

1 minute ago, Skinz4Life12 said:

Also, I love the music.

I agree with your entire post, but the music bit in particular.  The music from Stranger Things changed my life.  I am desperately waiting on the soundtrack.  Not interested in any of the popular 80s song at all, but the original synth stuff in particular.  Kyle Dixon & Michael Stein

The 2:45 mark of this video was what started it for me.  The synth is AMAZING! Wow!

And after hours upon hours on the dark side of Youtbe, i discovered a music genre called DREAMWAVE music.  instrumental synth.

52 minutes ago, Riggo-toni said:

I thought it was pretty good, but I fast forwarded through 90% of the kids' scenes just to make it watchable. It was generally easy enough to tell what details they would reveal/discuss, and then hit the button.

lol, damn do people really do this? I didn't think they were that boring, but then again maybe it was the herb..

1 hour ago, Riggo-toni said:

I thought it was pretty good, but I fast forwarded through 90% of the kids' scenes just to make it watchable. It was generally easy enough to tell what details they would reveal/discuss, and then hit the button.

what the hech, @Riggo-toni?!  Their slang, games/toys, and overall bickering was gold.  The Duffer Brothers nailed the 80s more than any other show I've ever seen.

I agree they mailed the 80s look and feel, and there was a plethora of cinematic allusions to Spielberg movies. But as great as the scenes were between Winona Ryder and the Sheriff, the kid scenes were just painfully annoying. Of all the 80s movies, did they have to male so much of it look like Goonies - probably the worst movie Spielberg ever made.

1 hour ago, Predicto said:

Is this the time to mention that Winona Ryder still isn't returning my calls, after a quarter-century of trying?  

She's still mad at you for sleeping with Ann Coulter

9 minutes ago, Predicto said:

Better than Freaks and Geeks?   That show was amazing, IMO.

oh wow.  Been a long time since I've seen that.  have you watched ST yet?  it's so friggin' 80s.  Maybe I'm just a sucker for the synth.  

8 minutes ago, Riggo-toni said:

I agree they mailed the 80s look and feel, and there was a plethora of cinematic allusions to Spielberg movies. But as great as the scenes were between Winona Ryder and the Sheriff, the kid scenes were just painfully annoying. Of all the 80s movies, did they have to male so much of it look like Goonies - probably the worst movie Spielberg ever made.

First off, you legit hurt my feelings with the shot at Goonies.  

Winona was okay, I felt that Sheriff and 11 stole the show, with Sheriff deserving an Emmy nomination.  

I loved the posters, the furniture, cars, slang, hair, televisions.  I was born in 82, but it made me wish I was born in '70.  I can't think of any decade that makes America more nostalgic than the 80s.  What a great time to be alive, especially a kid.  

I would never intentionally hurt your feelings Chew.  I was in college when Goonies came out. I am guessing someone who saw it as a kid would have liked it. The only kid movie I can recall liking as an adult was Stand By Me, which they managed to incorporate into Stranger Things seamlessly.

11 was exceptional.

For me the deja vu/nostalgia moment was seeing the exact same Panasonic boombox I saved up to buy in HS and dragged with me through college.

• 2 months later...
On 8/31/2016 at 1:30 PM, Predicto said:

Is this the time to mention that Winona Ryder still isn't returning my calls, after a quarter-century of trying?  

Probably calling your old rotary phone

Spoiler

(or using Christmas Lights to try to get in touch)

• 10 months later...

Finally watched this the other day. Thoughts:

Spoiler

LOVED the show overall. Glad there's going to be a second season, as there are tons of questions left to be answered. A few things didn't jive with me though, that hopefully season two can alleviate:

- Barb was sort of just, forgotten. Nancy is clearly torn up about it, nobody else seems to care at all.
- The biggest thing, is that season one as a stand-alone basically turned Eleven into your classic martyr plot device. The actress did an incredible job bringing humanity to the character, but everyone in the show basically treated her as an object, a weapon, in the finale; they really dampened what they'd done over the 7 episodes.

Was trying to find a good way to express the taste the finale left in my mouth, and this article does a decent job of it. https://www.theatlantic.com/entertainment/archive/2016/07/stranger-things-netflix/491681/

I rarely have much of a bone to pick with how writers choose to go about things, just think based on season one, this ceiling was a bit higher.

Perhaps that's all the point, and leads us into one of the larger objectives of season two! Can't wait!

Archived