Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2016-2017 NCAA Football Discussion Thread

The Evil Genius

49 minutes ago, BornaSkinsFan83 said:

I mean if the play shouldn't have been run and the game should have been over, I'm not really sure why they can't just discount it and make the score at the real end be official.

45 minutes ago, abdcskins said:

^ Agreed.

I hate sticking to traditional rituals and or rules. The refs messed up. In this case it was literally one play/mistake that decided the result. Change the winner to Oklahoma State.

It's easier to maintain the way it is already set up.  Sure, it sucks for the team that got screwed, agree 100% with that.  But if you start taking a look at mis/blown calls at the end of the game, even ones like this where no time is left, you have to take a look (imo) at any plays where calls were blown that cost a team points/possession/etc.  Then it would open up a **** storm and be a bigger mess than it already is.  

9 minutes ago, Dont Taze Me Bro said:

It's easier to maintain the way it is already set up.  Sure, it sucks for the team that got screwed, agree 100% with that.  But if you start taking a look at mis/blown calls at the end of the game, even ones like this where no time is left, you have to take a look (imo) at any plays where calls were blown that cost a team points/possession/etc.  Then it would open up a **** storm and be a bigger mess than it already is.  

There should be a clear difference between a play where the call was missed / blown VS a play that never should have even happened.

43 minutes ago, daveakl said:

There should be a clear difference between a play where the call was missed / blown VS a play that never should have even happened.

I agree.  But they won't do that because it opens up the argument to review after the fact, other plays that potentially impact the outcome of a game.  It's worse because it happened at the end of the game and the game should have ended.  I get that.  

All scoring plays are reviewed, but when they miss a call (holding, offensive PI, block in the back, etc.) and it results in a TD, shouldn't they be able to enforce the penalty when caught during the scoring review and not reward the TD?  Middle of the game or after the game when they go back and look?  

It's basically the same thing, even when it happens in the middle of the game and not just the very end with no time on the clock.  That is why it will never happen, imo.  

It's not a review after the fact though. There is no looking for a possible penalty or if a knee was down before he crossed situation. It's literally the game was over and the entire play should never have occurred according to the rules.

Let's say next week the last play occurs and the head ref gets on his mic and says "I've decided to give the fans one more play because the guys at Buffalo wild wings don't want to go home to their wives." The trailing team then scores and wins. 

We are OK with that right? 

Just now, SkinsHokieFan said:

A bit more conservative then I would like especially on short yardage 

penalties by teller and the fumble early in the 2nd killed the momentum from the first quarter. 

The fumble changed everything. McMillan was running all over them. Should've just stuck with that instead of going gimmicky. 

What happened to Marshawn? 

18 minutes ago, daveakl said:

It's not a review after the fact though. There is no looking for a possible penalty or if a knee was down before he crossed situation. It's literally the game was over and the entire play should never have occurred according to the rules.

Let's say next week the last play occurs and the head ref gets on his mic and says "I've decided to give the fans one more play because the guys at Buffalo wild wings don't want to go home to their wives." The trailing team then scores and wins. 

We are OK with that right? 

I'm trying to say that if they start taking away wins after a game is over because the officials messed up and gave extra downs or the other team the ball when they shouldn't have, then the masses would be calling for the same thing when something was messed up or not called when it occurred in the middle of the game where it impacted the score board.

The officials messed up big time, but it wasn't caught until after the game was over.  How is that any different when they blow a call or mess up in the middle of the games and it results in points a team shouldn't have had or takes points away from a team that should have had them?  If you allow them to go back and change the outcome of a game (take away a win and give it to the other team), then the same argument can be made about going back after the game is over and doing that on scoring plays that were messed up in the middle of the game.

Archived