Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Film Breakdown: Is Matt Jones Ready to be Redskins' Lead Back in 2016?

thehbrwhammer

Personally I think Keith Marshall will be the starter by the end of the year. He had tremendous potential going into GA, more Gurley. Matt Jones to me is a decent RB, nothing more, nothing special.

I hope they both blow up...it would be a good problem for us to have

Personally I think Keith Marshall will be the starter by the end of the year.  He had tremendous potential going into GA, more Gurley. Matt Jones to me is a decent RB, nothing more, nothing special.

Marshall has serious speed, but he's impatient and he hesitates. Both things I'm worried about since zone RBs are the opposite.

All I know is, I love having a young group of RBs. That's the way you do it. Our old vet is Chris Thompson! That's ridiculous.

Don't get the angst people have regarding them. Someone (or three) will emerge, and I don't doubt it's Matt Jones himself. The talent is there and by all accounts he's working his butt off this offseason correcting things.

Wonder why they haven't signed Pierre Thomas yet. I thought he played pretty well for us for the 2nd half of the season after we signed him.

Doesn't really need the reps, so we get to give those to the young guys. Will be healthy, fresh (if not quite in game shape) and ready to go if we need him I assume.

I've watched this a few times. He seems to have all the tools. One thing that didn't get mentioned, is that coaches called out his lack of heart. They called out his head too, but I think that was addressed. He doesn't seem to get his knees up and shoulders down, very well, when hitting the holes. Unless that's what you were referring to when you said "long stride".

There's no reason he can't do it, if he wants to. Fingers crossed.

I have my fingers crossed re Jones. He has the potential to be really good - excellent height/weight/speed guy and he seems to have good vision as well. But until he gets his pad level down he is going to continue to have issues with ball security and getting hurt. Running upright in the NFL is a no no unless your name is Eric Dickerson.

I hope he proves me wrong and explodes this year but I see him more as a number 2 back who can come in and have say 10 carries and catch 3 or 4 balls than a lead back getting 20+ carries plus his targets in the passing game on screens and as a check down option.

Archived