Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

These are the remaining free agent RB, which should we take?

boobiemiles

I think that, to get someone better than Jones, we're going to have to trade.

A Knile Davis from the Chiefs was mentioned somewhere earlier as a possibility.  I'd eat that up.

Cierre Wood is too much like Chris Thompson.  He's a burner and a very good receiver.

But most of these guys are complimentary backs or worse.  They won't challenge Jones for a large share of the carries.  And that's why they're still on the market.

I'm also in the boat of we shouldn't take anyone just yet.  Keep it as it is.  All these guys will probably be available during pre-season and especially after roster cuts going into the  season.

No panic at the RB position.  I'm sure P.Thomas is on the texting list.

I think that, to get someone better than Jones, we're going to have to trade.

A Knile Davis from the Chiefs was mentioned somewhere earlier as a possibility. I'd eat that up.

Cierre Wood is too much like Chris Thompson. He's a burner and a very good receiver.

But most of these guys are complimentary backs or worse. They won't challenge Jones for a large share of the carries. And that's why they're still on the market.

a trade eh? Shame there wasn't a lot of good backs in this draft, there would be plenty more expendable backs available.

Maybe Jones and Garcon for someone and a pick.

a trade eh? Shame there wasn't a lot of good backs in this draft, there would be plenty more expendable backs available.

Maybe Jones and Garcon for someone and a pick.

For my money, zero chance we trade Jones or Garcon.  But especially Jones.

It would be more of a 4th from us for a player IF there was one, in my opinion.

Finding a serviceable back for the offense Jay Gruden wants to run is easy, we already have guys who can fill that role.  Even when we used a bell-cow system, we've only been bereft of at least a serviceable back in 2009 (much had to do with injury), 2010 (probably the only year you might question) and 2011 (injury bug again). Much of that was fixed with late round picks and street FAs. Gruden does not plan to go with a bell-cow.  Even going to my wayback machine, 1974 fixed in 1975 with a 5th rounder and 1994 which was fixed with a with an injury-prone FA.  When that FA faded, we got great performance out of a mid-round guy.

Pretty different situations, just based on the publicity of the incidents involved. Not even getting into the details, which are also very different.

Plus Galette is a pass rusher in his prime. Rice is a, what, 29 year old RB who was starting to look washed last time he played, which was over a year ago?

Im ok with letting things play out in camp for now.  I am very interested to see what type of conditioning Matt Jones comes into camp in.  I think physically he just wasn't ready to carry the load but hopefully he added some muscle over the off season and worked on the fumbling issue.  We also didn't really get to see much of him in the passing game so Im excited to see what can happen there as well as CT and Marshall, all 3 should be receiving threats so blocking will be key.  

Reggie Bush:  This would be super interesting in terms of match ups... Im thinking single back with 3 WRs and 1 TE thats Reid, Garcon, Jackson, Crowder and Bush...... Yikes

Bell: Physical runner which I like but if we go that route I say we take Gerhart for short yardage situations

P. Thomas on speed dial please

To add to the Matt Jones conditioning point I would not be surprised to see Marshall have the same issue if he gets a good amount of work this year.  Also I would hope the strength and conditioning staff adjusts. 

I don't think its fair to equate Galette with Rice, actually.

Galette may have had SOME incident involving a woman, but we have very few details or proof. In comparison to Rice, its minor.

His real issue was that he had a falling out with the Saints, and that's something that's far easier to gift a second chance over.

Im ok with letting things play out in camp for now. I am very interested to see what type of conditioning Matt Jones comes into camp in. I think physically he just wasn't ready to carry the load but hopefully he added some muscle over the off season and worked on the fumbling issue. We also didn't really get to see much of him in the passing game so Im excited to see what can happen there as well as CT and Marshall, all 3 should be receiving threats so blocking will be key.

Reggie Bush: This would be super interesting in terms of match ups... Im thinking single back with 3 WRs and 1 TE thats Reid, Garcon, Jackson, Crowder and Bush...... Yikes

Bell: Physical runner which I like but if we go that route I say we take Gerhart for short yardage situations

P. Thomas on speed dial please

To add to the Matt Jones conditioning point I would not be surprised to see Marshall have the same issue if he gets a good amount of work this year. Also I would hope the strength and conditioning staff adjusts.

Thomas brought a toughness the others didn't last year, so I like him. I wouldn't bother with the other guys listed. Marshall is just a younger faster Reggie Bush, and Jones is better than Gerhardt if you want short yardage. Jones needs to learn to be a pro, that much is clear, but the available RBs are no improvement. Marshall needs to show he trusts his knee, if he does and gets back to his freshman form, he's the steal of the draft. If not, he might stick on PS (but I have my doubts) or not, but he's a 7thm round pick. They are a crap shoot.

I'd rather have 10 undrafted free agents compete for the job instead of trading for someone, or signing a veteran FA who hasn't been here before. Let's create our own stars.

RB's are plug and play these days. You don't need to give up assets for one. And no need to bring anyone else new in with a ton of mileage already. If it's not Pierre Thomas, then stick with the youngins.

Archived