Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Jonline: NFL slow to embrace analytics for draft

aREDSKIN

Very good article on how anayltics are impacting the draft though processes of NFL organizations.

Good read especially if your a draftnik.

Among the conclusions the football analysts seem to agree upon are:

■ The reason Thompson, Belichick and Colbert succeed in building rosters is because they value draft picks and understand the more picks you have the better your odds are to make a good pick.

■ First-round picks are weighted far too heavily in the draft because so few of them are sure things, and if you can trade one for more picks your odds for success are better than if you were taking one shot at a premier player.

much more at link-

http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/baseball-style-analytics-becoming-a-part-of-nfl-decision-making-b99711074z1-376816711.html

b99711074z.1_20160422230451_000_gkgfc4f3

This is one area I am really hoping Snyder invests in and spends his big money on.

There is no reason this franchise shouldn't be the NFL leader in utilizing advanced statistics

There is no reason we shouldn't have the best IT in the NFL. NOT just analytics.

Same with facilities, fields, stadium, offices, marketing, scouts, everything. Let Bruce and Danny drive this overhaul. Keep em busy and out of the actual football elements

Have NFL advanced stats progressed any since we had a poster swear for years that Greg McElroy was the next great quarterback based on some formula?

Those weren't real advanced metrics. That was a formula made up by that poster (ASF I believe)...and he worked backwards to get the results he wanted first, then called that a formula that he plugged incoming rookies into. The entire thing was horse**** even at the time and many of us took great pleasure in telling him so.

Those weren't real advanced metrics. That was a formula made up by that poster (ASF I believe)...and he worked backwards to get the results he wanted first, then called that a formula that he plugged incoming rookies into. The entire thing was horse**** even at the time and many of us took great pleasure in telling him so.

:lol: yes that's coming back to me more now. Greg effing McElroy! :lol: :lol: :lol:

I enjoyed the article thank you for posting this. In fantasy sports this topic has helped me win a lot of money on those websites everyone says are rigged and only the 1% who enter multiple lineups have a chance to win at which I laugh at. Not boasting just saying the more you know the more prepared you are just like in real football. While I have no proof I am positive that our GM is using this with some of the things I have heard him say in some degree how much unknown but he is. I think it's helped us already and will continue to

my favorite quote from the article is this:

"Lots of teams are criticizing it in public and using it in private."

----

I assume just like everything else teams will do everything within reason to gain an advantage.  Except for the Browns - who flaunt it to appear smarter to the public

This is one area I am really hoping Snyder invests in and spends his big money on.

There is no reason this franchise shouldn't be the NFL leader in utilizing advanced statistics 

I would love to see this too. The Redskins could create an entire analytics division tomorrow. They don't even need to let these guys impact decision-making until they can begin to show tangible proof that their process works. Give 5 guys a $3M/year budget and let them plug away for a couple years. Once their predictions begin panning out, let McCloughan/Allen figure out how to incorporate that into the overall evaluations. 

Archived