Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

CBS Sports.com: Josh Norman's next step is a visit to Washington, maybe San Francisco

skinsfan35yrs.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on-football/25562842/josh-normans-next-step-is-a-visit-to-washington-maybe-san-francisco

Cornerback Josh Norman had his franchise tag offer rescinded by the Carolina Panthers on Wednesday, making him an unrestricted free agent. Thursday evening, Norman's next steps became clear. CBS Sports NFL Insider Jason La Canfora reported that the Washington Redskins have an offer on the table and the San Francisco 49ers have strong interest in Norman as well.

Washington is apparently so hot on Norman that the corner will take a visit to the team Friday, and they have an opportunity to lock him up before he ever gets out to San Francisco.

Norman engaged in head-to-head battles with the two best receivers in the NFC East last season (Dez Bryant and Odell Beckham Jr.), so maybe it shouldn't be a surprise that his first visit is to a division rival of those players.

Washington also makes sense as a destination because it played a bunch of quarters coverage last season, and Norman, though he is also a good man-to-man player, played primarily cover 2 and quarters through his career with Carolina.

If he signs in Washington, we can expect it to be a five-year deal worth $14 million-$15 million per year, according to ESPN's Adam Schefter.

<more at link>

I am mixed on this but in the long run I trust Scot, just hope its not another Haynesworth/Sanders type signing. Thoughts?

Usually I'm against gigantic contract signings because it always blows up in our face, but I would so be for this. Our secondary has sucked for a while now, and Norman would bolster it so tremendously. Him and Breeland on opposite sides - sign me up.

Just think, Josh Norman verse the girly men's cry baby wide receiver twice a year. Worth the price admission.

Note for OP: source was Jason La Confora from CBS Sports. No numbers, only states the Refskins have a "legit offer" on the table. Alledegedly 5 years worth $13M or so.

I just saw this also on the NFL network, I thought it said he was going to visit on friday, it did say we and the niners were most likely landing spots.  They are not always accurate on these predictions so who knows.  When he was released I thought he would likely be out of our price range.  He was in ODB's head that one game so maybe that's a good thing.

We got cap space next year and beyond...but is he worth it? We have the maestro of contracts on board. GMSM is the catalyst for this? Trust him. Definitely need help back there in the secondary. Would help us focus in the draft. Impact on future Skins contracts? Lots of variables in play here...

I love this. While SF has more money and Cali which he supposedly wants, they also have a high state income tax, a hellish division with meh WRs and the Chip Kelly/SF FO funk to deal with.

We might offer less money but are an easier division with two elite level WRs to cover in oBJ and Dez and we have a highly regarded GM that earns respect from players and FO alike. Also, he is scheme fit for Barry and we have a solid secondary coach.

Very appealing scenario for us

How much salary cap room do the skins have? Assuming no long term deal with KC, who would we need to release to cover this?

We have several ways to, cap wise, make this happen.  It would be a coup to add someone of his ability.  He is also a "football player", something that Scot (AND I) love.  We shall see if it has legs.  Immediate upgrade, and that is an understatement. Hail

Jeez, I was kidding kinda about the Redskin One remark I made in FA Thread. Good to see GMSM is listening to me ;)

I would have zero reservations signing him based on his football talent alone. I can't speak to the cap and off field character side of things, but make it happen.

I don't think anyone would dispute the fact that Norman would instantly improve the Redskins' secondary...but at what cost? I mean, would signing him increase the likelihood the Redskins cannot offer Cousins or Reed (or both) a contract extension? 

I don't think anyone would dispute the fact that Norman would instantly improve the Redskins' secondary...but at what cost? I mean, would signing him increase the likelihood the Redskins cannot offer Cousins or Reed (or both) a contract extension?

I don't think so. Cap is going up, and we've got big contracts falling off the books.

I don't think so. Cap is going up, and we've got big contracts falling off the books.

If that truly is the case then I hope the Redskins land him, because I am a fan of Norman--especially after seeing him embed himself so deeply into OBJ's mind that it caused him to just utterly implode and those scars facing Norman will last, IMO. I just don't want the contract to negatively hinder plans to bring back other important players next year and beyond.

Taze is right...hard to say this? But we are a more stable organization? Hahaha!!! And after hearing about Galettes interview? GMSM can sell when he needs to!

That's the difference maker right now.  With Scot running the show, he will not throw money at players that don't deserve it or that he doesn't think will produce long term.  Pot Roast wanted to come back, but the Pats paid him more and they are always a contender.  But he will be more rotational with Wilfork and not a full time starter I would imagine.

Anyhow, we have a chance to improve the secondary with a great CB who has plenty of years ahead of him.  We also have youth in Breeland and the addition of Norman should improve his game as well.  It also allows us more flexibility in the draft.  

Archived