Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

GIF Breakdown: Vernon Davis' Run Blocking Key for Redskins

thehbrwhammer

Pick something reasonable, and I'm game.  I'm fine with at least .500, over 0.500, a play off team, predicted to be a playoff team by some predetermined % of some predetermined national prognosticators, pro football references SRS, etc...

Read the last paragraph in the post of mine your responding to again. In particular the first and last sentences of that paragraph.

Wouldn't a young guy (or his agent) look at our roster, see that we have 2 guys on 1 year deals and our starter is a FA next year and think he's got a serious shot to make the PS (and make the 53 the following year) if not win the job outright from Paulsen? That's not factoring in ST play, the fact that Paul still has to get healthy, or that Reed has injury issues of his own.

In terms of Davis, it's a matter of having a serviceable inline TE (and capable insurance for Reed/Paul). In Paulsen's case, it's a matter of filling out the roster so they don't go into the draft with an obvious hole on the roster (and he was our only inline option prior to Davis signing).

I just don't get the big deal... it's like you're arguing against stop gap players when they are a natural part of the process to get and develop younger players. There's a reason they're also referred to as 'bridge players'. Is there a big difference in your mind between this situation and Pierre Thomas being on the team when we could have just grabbed a young FA off the street?

With all of that said, yes, everyone would prefer a cheap rookie that 1) shows promise and 2) can be a difference-maker as a blocking TE... but you don't force the issue by leaving a hole on your team in the hopes you're able to fill it before the season starts.

Sorry if that all comes across as antagonistic... it's more borne out of confusion than anything.

If I were running the team, I almost certainly would not have signed Thomas, especially given the contract status of Morris.  I didn't like the Thomas signing.

I know he helped the team this year, but I think you see exactly what happens.  Maybe he improved our record by a game or 2, but long term it doesn't help, and now you have questions at RB and at least not a clear answer.

They could have at least gotten a read on some other player(s) out there.

Signing Thomas was a hindrance to winning a championship.  Not a step or bridge to doing so and certainly didn't help us win one.

And yes, an agent might look at our situation favorably for a young player, but is he going to look at our situation more or less favorably than a team where there is clearly a spot on the roster for a young TE?

And you are still limiting the number of players you can bring in.  I'd suggest to that if we can bring in 1 with the current setup that we have than without Paulsen or Davis, we could bring in 2.

Which would essentially double the odds of finding a good player.

Who cares if you go into the draft with an obvious hole on your roster?  I'm not sure not having a veteran backup inline TE is even really an obvious hole.

Do you have to have some players that are realistically short term and maybe even some 1 year contracts?

Yes.

But 2 at the same position for what is realistically not even a very important position in today's NFL is too much and they were looking at Davis when they signed Paulsen.  It isn't like Davis unexpected fell into their lab.

And the same was true for Knighton.  He's now left and we don't really have a better idea of how to deal with the NT position than the year before.

The signing of Knighton was not a move that has helped move us to a championship.

And I made the same points with the Knighton signing last year.

http://es.redskins.com/topic/392154-wp-the-redskins’-season-hasn’t-yet-begun-but-it-feels-as-if-it’s-already-begun-to-rot/?p=10313181

We would have been better off if we had not signed Knighton last year and seen if we could have somebody else to play the NT that would have been younger and more likely a long term fit.  Yes, it is likely we would have loss more games last year, but there is at least a chance we'd have a better handle on the NT position going forward or put together a defense without somebody playing like a true NT.

Which would have moved us closer to a championship.

And NT was/is clearly more of a need for this team than backup veteran in line TE.

Unless we get lucky and essentially everybody in the NFL and this thread reads Davis' career trajectory wrong and he is essentially a Pro Bowl talent at TE next year (or Paulsen I guess, but that would be even more shocking IMO), him coupled with Paulsen is a step in the wrong direction.

Vernon Davis is the missing link and is exactly what we needed to get to the Super Bowl this year!!! Why you ask?

"Because he's a karate man! And a karate man bruises on the inside! They don't show their weakness. But you don't know that because you're a big Barry White looking mother******! So get outta my face!"

:)

Can only speak for myself here but we'll just never see eye to eye on this PeterMP, I don't agree with nearly anything you have to say on the subject or the logic behind it. Fair enough, that happens.

Do you really believe that the signing of Thomas during the season or Knighton last FA period in some real terms helped move this team to a championship?

That they somehow acted as a bridge or step along the way?

That today we'd really be further from a championship if we had not signed them?

Great signing - we basically had no TE run blocking last year.  We'll, if we ignore the times Reed didn't get called for holding... nvrmnd. 

We likely had the most fragile group of TEs in the league.  And likely still do even with our latest addition. 

Archived