Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

GIF Breakdown: Vernon Davis' Run Blocking Key for Redskins

thehbrwhammer

In this breakdown, I took a look at the latest free agent acquisition by the Redskins in Vernon Davis. Last week, the 'Skins signed Davis to a 1 yr $2.4M with $1.1M contract guaranteed.

While this was higher than most expected, it's actually still a good signing based on Davis' projected role in the offense. Davis is a good run blocker and goes all out every play shielding players down the field like in CJ Anderson's 34 YD run in the Super Bowl.

In Bill Callahan's running scheme, the 'Skins use at least one TE 95% of the time, and use 2-3 TEs 30-40% of the time. Davis will definitely get snaps along with Jordan Reed and Niles Paul (+others).

Awesome breakdown as usual! These are the threads I look most forward to! thanks for taking the time to put them together!

I think some people just look at the money and catches and decide they know if it was a good deal or not. There are so many other things that go into signing someone. Along with his blocking, the other reason for bringing Davis in he has been to a SB, he has been around long enough to be a mentor to someone like Reed to help him get to the next level. I really like this signing. The money is a little high but some are acting like the Redskins gave him a 3 yrs $16M contract!

Great breakdown but he's something that's left off this breakdown. I remember reading articles like this last season

Vernon Davis vanishes in Denver Broncos' offense

And wondering what happened to this guy? After moving to Denver last season in a trade he had a total of 20 receptions 201 receiving yards and 0 TDs and I recall that fan base being excited about him going there too. Reminds me too much of deva vu here,

I get that he's a blocking TE now and we need help there but would we be talking about this signing if not for what he's done in the past in the receiving game? I don't think so.

Topics like this also need to take into account how a signing like this likely pushes snaps out for a young guy like Niles Paul who while I understand isn't a fan favorite among many fans of this team has shined when given the primary receiving role on this team when Reed missed games and takes away the likeliness we draft a TE this year and significantly makes this team older. Not a lot to like here with this one but they can't all make sense right? 

Not going to take snaps away. We've eliminated the FB from the roster so we will need extra TEs on the roster to play TE and H-Back.

Same sort of offense as Joe Gibbs who routinely kept 4-6 TEs on the roster. Plus, Niles plays a lot of STs. He'll get on the field.

Not going to take snaps away. We've eliminated the FB from the roster so we will need extra TEs on the roster to play TE and H-Back.

Same sort of offense as Joe Gibbs who routinely kept 4-6 TEs on the roster. Plus, Niles plays a lot of STs. He'OL get on the field.

that's what I've been thinking, but didn't want to make the comparison. Ols.

Reed is always a mismatch, but if he can turn his holds into blocks, having him with Davis up front and Paul as the HB/FB, with either of our backs, really presents some good problems for us to give a defense. That's a fun formation to run and pass out of. Adding DJax to take the top off, keep safeties honest, I mean, wow. That's a group that's fast enough to get down field and block well for him too.

Awesome breakdown as usual! These are the threads I look most forward to! thanks for taking the time to put them together!

I think some people just look at the money and catches and decide they know if it was a good deal or not. There are so many other things that go into signing someone. Along with his blocking, the other reason for bringing Davis in he has been to a SB, he has been around long enough to be a mentor to someone like Reed to help him get to the next level. I really like this signing. The money is a little high but some are acting like the Redskins gave him a 3 yrs $16M contract!

Thanks!! Yeah, if he can mentor Reed in the blocking department it's an added plus. Jordan wants to get better, you can tell. But he just doesn't have the technique yet.

Great breakdown but he's something that's left off this breakdown. I remember reading articles like this last season

And wondering what happened to this guy? After moving to Denver last season in a trade he had a total of 20 receptions 201 receiving yards and 0 TDs and I recall that fan base being excited about him going there too. Reminds me too much of deva vu here,

I get that he's a blocking TE now and we need help there but would we be talking about this signing if not for what he's done in the past in the receiving game? I don't think so.

Topics like this also need to take into account how a signing like this likely pushes snaps out for a young guy like Niles Paul who while I understand isn't a fan favorite among many fans of this team has shined when given the primary receiving role on this team when Reed missed games and takes away the likeliness we draft a TE this year and significantly makes this team older. Not a lot to like here with this one but they can't all make sense right? 

We use so many TE's that I don't see him taking any THAT many snaps from Niles Paul since Paul is more a of  blocking TE anyways. I'm pumped for the Davis, Paulsen, Paul 3 TE set that I think we'll use.

Him dissapearing is interesting. A lot of that had to do with how awful the Denver QBs were last year. Peyton Manning was terrible no matter how you look at it. He couldn't stretch the defense so they clamped down on the intermediate routes which is all they used him for.

that's what I've been thinking, but didn't want to make the comparison. Ols.

Reed is always a mismatch, but if he can turn his holds into blocks, having him with Davis up front and Paul as the HB/FB, with either of our backs, really presents some good problems for us to give a defense. That's a fun formation to run and pass out of. Adding DJax to take the top off, keep safeties honest, I mean, wow. That's a group that's fast enough to get down field and block well for him too.

Callahan in Dallas rarely used the FB role even when he had Tyler Clutts on the roster. I see us using more singleback and shotgun formations this year as opposed to the power-I.

Huh, didn't realize that he was more of a technical blocker than a physical one. Guess his athletic gifts he uses to help him keep in front of the defender rather than bowl them over.

I am excited for this, even though this hints at Carrier being on the PUP. Another step in the right direction to get a working ground game.

Niles Paul is a young guy? He is younger than Davis but that's about it. He has been a TE in progress for 4 yrs. Not exactly a rookie. He did appear to be finally turning the corner last year before his injury but then missed the entire year. Paulson was just adequate before he was injured. He is only on the team because we don't really have a blocking TE. Davis will probably take snaps from him mostly. If we draft a TE and he outplays Davis then he will play. So assuming he will take significant snaps from some as yet to be signed TE is a huge stretch, especially since you don't know what we plan to do with him. This is all in addition to what others have said about us not have FB role and now being able to legitimately running 3TE sets.

Last year due to injuries and lack of depth at the position, Tom Compton was for all intents a TE, it was our version of a 2 TE set. We ran over 70% of the time he was in. Maybe we can actually do something different with our 2TE sets.

As for him disappearing last year, the passing game was pretty pathetic in Denver in general. It was clearly the weakest part of that team. I love Peyton Manning but the fact is his best contribution was putting his ego in check and running on 3rd and long and letting the D do their job. Defenses sat on the intermediate and short routes because there was nothing about that passing attack that scared them down field. So is that Davis fault? The year before it was during the complete demise on Kap.

And let's not forget, it's not like they gave him the kitchen sink! $2.45M on a one year prove it deal, with only $1.2M guaranteed! We have a cap and can let him go next year with no CAP hit!

One last thing, in terms of drafting a TE, there are no TEs in this draft that will not be a project. The best TE is Hunter Henry who is at best a Day 2 prospect who is not a great blocker and has major lapses in concentration that will get him penalties in the NFL. With coaching he could be a good TE but it will take at least a year or two. The next best TE is pick one - Austin Hooper, Nick Vannett, Jerrell Adams? All late day 2 but probably day 3 picks. Again, these are all project picks. It's highly unlikely any of them will be ready to start this season. So having a guy like Davis here a year or maybe two would be great to help them learn.

With all due respect I think you have it totally backwards. Not much to NOT like about this signing! His is a veteran guy who may just have a little left in the tank that can be a good mentor to any young guys we do get while providing much needed depth at a position that was decimated by injury. And he didn't really cost too much.

Yea, while it's hard to tell just how much of Vernon at this point is based on reputation, I am still thoroughly happy with the cheap gamble that he is to be a solid 2a TE. 

I know niles is a solid player and is obviously younger, but I still think that our offense gained an offensive mismatch if Davis plays up to his realistic potential at his point in his career.  He's no Antonio Gates or Jason Witten (elder statesman TEs still good/great), but as bad as he was last year, he still had 400 yards receiving with a worthless Kaepernick, and then switching teams and being a semi-backup TE with less than optimal throwers without time to adjust midseason.  So 400 yards total doesn't sound all that bad afterwards.  Also with injury issues lingering.  

And of course, he's depth. This way, even if Reed or Paul were to go down, you still have viable 2 TE sets for the passing game. 

Niles Paul is a young guy? He is younger than Davis but that's about it. He has been a TE in progress for 4 yrs. Not exactly a rookie. He did appear to be finally turning the corner last year before his injury but then missed the entire year. Paulson was just adequate before he was injured. He is only on the team because we don't really have a blocking TE. Davis will probably take snaps from him mostly. If we draft a TE and he outplays Davis then he will play. So assuming he will take significant snaps from some as yet to be signed TE is a huge stretch, especially since you don't know what we plan to do with him. This is all in addition to what others have said about us not have FB role and now being able to legitimately running 3TE sets.

Last year due to injuries and lack of depth at the position, Tom Compton was for all intents a TE, it was our version of a 2 TE set. We ran over 70% of the time he was in. Maybe we can actually do something different with our 2TE sets.

As for him disappearing last year, the passing game was pretty pathetic in Denver in general. It was clearly the weakest part of that team. I love Peyton Manning but the fact is his best contribution was putting his ego in check and running on 3rd and long and letting the D do their job. Defenses sat on the intermediate and short routes because there was nothing about that passing attack that scared them down field. So is that Davis fault? The year before it was during the complete demise on Kap.

And let's not forget, it's not like they gave him the kitchen sink! $2.45M on a one year prove it deal, with only $1.2M guaranteed! We have a cap and can let him go next year with no CAP hit!

One last thing, in terms of drafting a TE, there are no TEs in this draft that will not be a project. The best TE is Hunter Henry who is at best a Day 2 prospect who is not a great blocker and has major lapses in concentration that will get him penalties in the NFL. With coaching he could be a good TE but it will take at least a year or two. The next best TE is pick one - Austin Hooper, Nick Vannett, Jerrell Adams? All late day 2 but probably day 3 picks. Again, these are all project picks. It's highly unlikely any of them will be ready to start this season. So having a guy like Davis here a year or maybe two would be great to help them learn.

With all due respect I think you have it totally backwards. Not much to NOT like about this signing! His is a veteran guy who may just have a little left in the tank that can be a good mentor to any young guys we do get while providing much needed depth at a position that was decimated by injury. And he didn't really cost too much.

I agree with 98%+ of what you said. Just want to point out that Paul is on the team because he's an awesome special teamer and looked to have potential at TE as he was TE1 last year on the depth before chart before injury!

Everything else is spot on!

I agree with 98%+ of what you said. Just want to point out that Paul is on the team because he's an awesome special teamer and looked to have potential at TE as he was TE1 last year on the depth before chart before injury!

Everything else is spot on!

Thanks! Good catch. I just forgot the STs part of it. He is a STs leader.

Denver's passing game was not good last year plus Davis came in mid way through the year so had to get up to speed with the playbook and earn the trust of the QBs. He's not the player he was when he was 25 say but he can still be factor catching the ball as the 2nd TE and as cover for Reed.

Its as a blocker he will make a real difference though. he is night and day better in blocking than any other TE on our roster, including Niles Paul. Your right that if we think of the signing in terms of him being a blocking TE it would not get the interest this signing has (not thats its national front page news) - but thats because so many fans now are caught up in fantasy points and think of the TE as a receiving position. Cant blame them, most TEs in the NFL today really are just bigger slot receivers and hardly any of them can block worth a damn. 

Davis is an exception, he really can block. He will make a big difference to the running game being able to block not just safeties in the box but OLBs and even DEs as well. His biggest contribution to the passing game next year might well be helping the running game become more consistent which will give us more man outside coverage and open up play action.

I respectfully disagree with some points made here. Let me try and address my concerns but understand not trying to argue with anyone, I am a fan and will cheer Davis on of course, but as a fan I will question some moves we make from time to time and this is one of those times.

Issue one - Salary

So Davis is making 2.4 million this year. Based on the numbers for TE's examine how that compares to other players at the position

Ben Watson Ravens
Zach Miller Bears
Travis Kelce Chiefs
Virgil Green Broncos
Lee Smith Raiders
Jared Cook Packers
Tyler Eifert Bengals
Jacob Tamme Falcons
Ed Dickson Panthers
Gary Barnidge Browns
Ladarius Green Steelers
Coby Fleener Saints
Brent Celek Eagles

All of those guys are the TE's that are set to make between only 3 and 2 million this season. Those are his peers.

The contracts Fleener, Watson, Miller, Cook, and Green signed were signed this same off season and some of those guys above are still playing on there rookie contracts and will make significantly more in the future like Reed. Not sure how Reed feels about Davis making more then him either and to some players it bothers them greatly

Compared to those guys in my opinion we have overspent here. I never try and simply look at a number (2.4 million) without context and that's my issue with the price we paid. I will go on the record in terms of receiving production and predict 4 or 5 of those names I dropped (Fleener, Watson, Miller, Cook, and Green) will produce more then Davis will this year. I hope I am wrong but I doubt it. Could have had more with the money spent here

Point two - Age/expectations

I am never a fan of signing guys who are 32 year old free agents. Its not a good thing to do. Especially on guys who have seen a significant decreases in production for multiple consecutive seasons like Davis has. When it happens once pay attention, when it happens twice it's generally a rule more times then not

Some here have mentioned Denver as the reason he didn't do much last season since Manning played poorly. Truth about that is last season Osweiler outplayed Manning in Denver and the games that Davis was a part of the passing game in Denver Osweiler was the QB for them. Once Manning came in Davis was phased out of the plans. Diving deeper here are the snap counts for the Denver TE's during the playoffs

Superbowl - O.Daniels (51), V.Green (50), V.Davis (10)
AFC Championship - O.Daniels (52), V.Green (49), V.Davis (1)
AFC Round 1 Playoffs - O.Daniels (47), V.Green (45), V.Davis (6)

(# of offensive snaps played)

So in the playoffs and Superbowl Davis played all of 17 snaps. If he was that much better of a blocker he would have played more snaps. Those three games were against the tougher defenses in the league when protection was most important.

This isn't impressive and clearly shows he wasn't in there plans even as a blocker. As for catches in these games he had a total of zero of those in that span. And he was targeted only once in the passing game. Tells me his blocking ability is also over stated

So I think to myself well he's old, he's expensive, he won't play much, our money could have landed us better players and about the only thing that gives me pause is knowing that Scot drafted him so he may force him onto the field. But forcing him onto the field means that it forces other guys off it and alters our draft plans.

We kept only two TE's last year when we cut down to 53 man roster in 2015 and the year before we kept only three. We "might" keep four this year since we don't have a FB on the roster anymore but that means that its a pick 'em between Paulson and Carrier who are just Jags but it leaves no room for draft picks unless we kick both of those two off the team and we need to get younger.

If we do keep four TE's then it has to come from somewhere so most likely we would only keep three RBs and I don't like that either. I am hoping we will re-sign Pierre Thomas and draft someone. If we do that then keeping four TE's comes from somewhere else. Maybe QB? Idk but there is a trickle down effect here to consider

I will be excited about other moves in the future I'm sure but not this one. Sorry

Sorry, but point 1 you made is intellectually dishonest. 

Some of those TEs are on their rookie contracts, so of course they are going to be paid less than Davis will be.  That is unavoidable.

Also, it's not just about the cap hit this year.  It's about the financial commitment to the player throughout the life of the contract.  The veteran TEs you mentioned are all being paid a higher APY figure than Davis is on his contract.  If you look at the guaranteed money (which is what really matters) on the contracts, only Jared Cook is getting less guaranteed money than Davis. 

This is a signing that is very low risk.  The only way Callahan's run scheme can reach it's full potential is if we have TEs that can block.  Trying to reach in the draft for a TE who can't block makes no sense.  At least we know what we have in Davis when it comes to his blocking. This signing was a step in the right direction.

His base salary is 1.1 million I believe. He can earn a potential 1.2 in incentives, but more than likely won't.

Denver runs a FB in their offense and not a lot of two TE sets. We do. He'll get more than 6-10 snaps on the year.

Again, your entire roster cannot have 23-25 year olds on minimum salaries. 32 years old for a 3rd TE? Who cares. When your starting lineup is made up of 30 somethings, you have a problem. Ours doesn't.

And it's my understanding that he will not count long term on the cap after this year.

Sounds like you have something personal against Davis. I've never seen someone so dead set against a 3rd TE signing.

I respectfully disagree with some points made here. Let me try and address my concerns but understand not trying to argue with anyone, I am a fan and will cheer Davis on of course, but as a fan I will question some moves we make from time to time and this is one of those times.

Issue one - Salary

Edit.. per the rules

So in the playoffs and Superbowl Davis played all of 17 snaps. If he was that much better of a blocker he would have played more snaps. Those three

I will be excited about other moves in the future I'm sure but not this one. Sorry

No sorries. Everyone is entitled to their opinion and I always appreciate a well thought out opinion/response even if I don't agree. So than you for the thoughtful response.

To those points - Yes we over-paid. But that's what you do when you sign free agents. It's very rare to get a guy that's not at least a bit of a stretch in terms of salary. But to me, it's not that far out. So it doesn't bother me. Now if we paid him over $3M then I would agree it's over the top. But $2.4M with $1.2 guaranteed, I am totally ok with. Note: I believe he does have incentives that could net him in excess of $4M. But they are many and not easy to hit. So if we end up paying him that, he will have been worth it.

As for age in general I agree. You certainly are not going to sign a guy as the long term solution at age 32. But for a one or two year bridge I am totally Ok with it. Especially as decimated as we were at TE last year and the support he provides in blocking.

As for Denver, my statement was their passing game (regardless of QB) was not good. I am not as big a Brock O fan as some. He was adequate but he was not scaring anyone. That D was out of this planet. The only reason he looked pretty good I believe was Peyton was really, really bad. This coming from a huge fan of Peytons.

I just don't see a big problem with this signing. He will not be our #1 and probably nor even our #2. But he should be a good lockerroom guy that can provide some mentoring and some key production, probably more in the running game than the passing game.

Time will tell. I am sure we will revisit this after the season....  :-)

Point two - Age/expectations

Superbowl - O.Daniels (51), V.Green (50), V.Davis (10)

AFC Championship - O.Daniels (52), V.Green (49), V.Davis (1)

AFC Round 1 Playoffs - O.Daniels (47), V.Green (45), V.Davis (6)

So in the playoffs and Superbowl Davis played all of 17 snaps. If he was that much better of a blocker he would have played more snaps. Those three games were against the tougher defenses in the league when protection was most important.

This isn't impressive and clearly shows he wasn't in there plans even as a blocker. As for catches in these games he had a total of zero of those in that span. And he was targeted only once in the passing game. Tells me his blocking ability is also over stated

You are discounting the fact that he was traded mid-year to the Broncos. Having an off-season to learn and fully grasp the playbook never happened. He basically ran three routes, and blocked in their multi-TE set packages. That's it and without the off-season, how much more can you expect from this?

What this does is makes him one-dimensional. If I can spot his entire role in watching 3-4 full games of ALL22 view, then you can bet real DC's can do the same thing and plan for him. Since they planned for him, they can reasonably guess his roles on each play and that takes away his advantage and forces him off the field.

How'd you get the snaps per game by the way? I used to have PFF, but I lost access in October and didn't feel like paying $20/yr for Madden grades. Do you have a different resource?

And no need to ever apologize! You made some good counter arguments.

Sounds like you have something personal against Davis. I've never seen someone so dead set against a 3rd TE signing.

Not at all, in fact I've run a gauntlet of reactions to the things we have done this offseason. I've cheered our signings (Tagging QB was a must) I've cheered some we didn't make (Just not into signing guys with headache issues or personality ones), been sad at ones we didn't made (Think we should have kept the butler as cheap as he was) and this one I have not and just given reasons to support why I don't like the move. I don't know Vernon Davis personally and have nothing against him and will cheer for him to do well here, but out of all of the moves we have made this offseason this one makes the least amount of logical sense to me.

How'd you get the snaps per game by the way? I used to have PFF, but I lost access in October and didn't feel like paying $20/yr for Madden grades. Do you have a different resource?

And no need to ever apologize! You made some good counter arguments.

I use Football outsiders snap counts, and went week by week to see that

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/snapcounts

I thought when I saw the breakdown in snaps by the year that he must have been on the field a lot but in fact it was quite the opposite, he joined the Broncos in week  9 and peaked in snaps by week 12 and week 14 and then was phased out of the offense. Which made me question if he is such a good blocker how he could have faded like this because he played in all of those games.

I thought when I saw the breakdown in snaps by the year that he must have been on the field a lot but in fact it was quite the opposite, he joined the Broncos in week 9 and peaked in snaps by week 12 and week 14 and then was phased out of the offense. Which made me question if he is such a good blocker how he could have faded like this because he played in all of those games.

I would say that it's partially because Virgil Green is a very good blocking TE, and VD probably disappointed them in the passing game

At age 32, Davis still should be capable of running the seam route with the best of them. No way was Manning making this kind of throw last year, so one of Davis' biggest strengths was negated. This strength excites me for Cousins, as I think the seam route 10,15 and 20 yards down the field is a throw Cousins does well. 

We are beginning to fill spots on the team with roles in mind and Davis will fill role of providing excellent blocking and ability to run the seam route, especially off of play action. Not saying this is everything, just highlighting a few things. 

Not at all, in fact I've run a gauntlet of reactions to the things we have done this offseason. I've cheered our signings (Tagging QB was a must) I've cheered some we didn't make (Just not into signing guys with headache issues or personality ones), been sad at ones we didn't made (Think we should have kept the butler as cheap as he was) and this one I have not and just given reasons to support why I don't like the move. I don't know Vernon Davis personally and have nothing against him and will cheer for him to do well here, but out of all of the moves we have made this offseason this one makes the least amount of logical sense to me.

Fair enough. I've seen more in favor of the move. Time will tell. I appreciate your good attitude presenting your side. Wish others were as diplomatic. Here's to a good season.

As to the numbers game at TE, seems like a safe bet we keep 4 (the 4th replacing our FB). As of now, it looks like Reed, Davis and Paul are the top guys with Paulsen/Carrier competing for the 4th spot. So, if we pick up a late round TE, they either go to the the PS, or they take that 4th spot. If we get an early-mid round TE than they likely compete with Davis/Paul for the number 2/3 spots (and bump Paulsen/Carrier off the 53). Of course there's a better than decent chance that any rookie (outside of Henry) would actually be our 4th - which is great in terms of giving them time to develop before pencilling them in our top 3 after Davis is gone in '17.

Regarding $... if Davis gets significant snaps (even as the #3), his salary isn't too bad for a versatile TE. If he's the number two (keeping in mind Gruden's propensity to use multiple TEs), then it's a solid contract. The only way it becomes a poor investment is if Paul and a rookie bump Davis to #4. In that case though, we at least have a solid insurance plan in case of injury, he comes off the books the following year and we will have found a decent TE (on a rookie contract) in the draft, which mostly offsets Davis' contract. In that scenario, we'd also be dumping Paulsen/Carrier's contracts, further offsetting Davis'.

Lastly, our run game was pretty darn poor last year. There are multiple reasons for this, but at least part was due to poor TE blocking. Davis' contract is worth it IMO if we (with his help) can take a step forward in this department.

I don't expect a great deal from Davis, but I think it's fair to say he's in a better position here than he was in SF and DEN last year - better QB play and a full offseason to get comfortable in the offense.

Overall, a decent signing IMV

I thought when I saw the breakdown in snaps by the year that he must have been on the field a lot but in fact it was quite the opposite, he joined the Broncos in week  9 and peaked in snaps by week 12 and week 14 and then was phased out of the offense. Which made me question if he is such a good blocker how he could have faded like this because he played in all of those games.

Awesome!!! Thanks for link. Been looking for this and should have assumed FO had it.

I think I'm sticking to my last point that if his role is limited due to a mid year trade and you are going against better defenses your snaps will be reduced because of that. I'm not saying he's perfect. I just think he's a solid addition to the team.

Archived