Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

London Calling: Martins House of Commons Official Offseason Twitter thread, Crumpets and Biscuits(Cheerleaders) extra

SWFLSkins

Washington Redskins @Redskins 21m21 minutes ago

With the 21st pick in the 2016 #NFLDraft the #Redskins select...? 1f4da.png: http://redsk.in/MockMadness16 

ChFjrlFU0AAOjf2.jpg

Darnay Holmes @DarnayHolmes 1h1 hour ago Los Angeles, CA

Darnay Holmes Retweeted DeAngelo Hall

Can't wait to get that work in this summer. Glad I got you in my corner1f525.png1f44c.png

Darnay Holmes added,

DeAngelo Hall @DeAngeloHall23
He's one of the most Pro Ready CBs I've ever seen coming out of HS. He's going to win a Jim Thorpe I can see it already @DarnayHolmes 1f4af.png1f4af.png1f4af.png

HapHaszard ES @HapHaszard 

24 hours until the draft, time flies.

Mark J @GospelOfMark 3h3 hours ago

Draft = Buffet for Scot. #Redskins #HTTR

ChE7hv9W0AERU8p.jpg
ChE7hwDWgAMTiGk.jpg

NFL @NFL 2h2 hours ago

Create your own mock draft. Play free. Win prizes. Sign up now at http://bit.ly/1qVeumj 

ChFKO7YU0AAIMw5.jpg

Almost draft day now. Thought I'd put this article here that I stumbled upon while researching for my "Defensive Outsiders" thread. I got a kick out of it and figured some of you would as well. Enjoy. :)

https://sfbay.ca/2016/04/25/expect-painful-decisions-from-baalke-on-draft-weekend/

Expect painful decisions from Baalke on draft weekend
SFBAY
PUBLISHED
April 25, 2016
12:08 am

Over the five years that Trent Baalke has been the general manager of the 49ers, a strange thing has happened.

The team went from super competitive, scratching at a Lombardi trophy and with the makings of a long-term fixture, to irrelevant. Trashy. A big loser.

It’s likely that this weekend, as the football community focuses on the draft in Chicago, Baalke will continue to subtract by addition. A concept that only he could master. If anything, Baalke is completely opposite of his predecessor.

It’s fitting that the man who built the team that succeeded in 2011, 2012 and 2013, just landed Josh Norman, too. Irony at it’s best — and while the 49ers were supposedly in pursuit.

Scot McCloughan, former 49ers front office extraordinaire and current Washington general manager, was asked to walk after some low points while fighting a tough battle with alcoholism.

He went on to the Seahawks as a senior personnel executive, curating the scouting report that got Russell Wilson drafted by Seattle in the third round, and McCloughan played a large part in building the powerhouse of the pacific northwest.

Onto Washington, the man has taken a perennial loser and made them a force, with division rivals blowing their Christmas money in free agency to keep up.

Baalke, though?

He’s taken one of the best rosters in the league, and set it on fire. By most accounts, he’s difficult to work with. He doesn’t understand some of the essential nuances of maintaining good relationships with players.

Oh, and he can’t draft worth a damn.

From 2011 to 2014, Baalke’s regime has drafted 50 players. Only 18 remain on the roster. None of the 18 were selected to the 2015 pro bowl.

Baalke drafted two receivers currently on the roster, Quinton Patton andBruce Ellington. Both were taken in the fourth round, and they’ve combined for 52 games, 55 receptions, 609 yards and 3 touchdowns.

The five pass rushers that came during draft weekend, under Baalke, still on the roster, have combined for 127 games and 22 sacks.

The five defensive backs selected during Baalke’s reign — and remain 49ers — have played 131 games and intercepted just 12 passes.

And the only starting quarterback he’s drafted has been on the trade block for some time now.

Now, though, we get to my favorite Baalke factoid: during the 2005 draft, when the 49ers picked Alex Smith first overall out of Utah, Baalke was the top western area scout. That made the Utes his territory.

But there was another quarterback in his region, one U.C. Berkeley signal caller named Aaron Rodgers, taken 24th overall by the Packers.

And here’s why that particular bit matters, the reason it’s not just picking on the rich guy: if a man can’t see possibly the best quarterback of the modern era of football, how can he evaluate scouts?

Because a front office executive is only as good as the information he receives. If the scouts the 49ers employ aren’t doing a good job, it needs to be recognized.

While Baalke is hard-headed and arrogant, some of the 49ers failings during the draft process does fall onto the information-gatherers. The problem there, though, is that Baalke wasn’t the best scout in the first place. So he can’t recognize a good or bad scout.

It didn’t take much to realize that Rodgers was a better quarterback than Smith in 2005, just like it didn’t take much to realize Zach Ertz was a better tight end that Vance McDonald in 2013.

Ertz, in some more irony, was drafted 34th overall that year by the Chip Kelly Eagles after the 49ers traded away that same pick, of which they acquired by moving Smith to Kansas City.

Both Philadelphia and the Chiefs made the postseason that year. Both returned. The 49ers, though, have not.

So why is Baalke still the general manager, despite obvious incompetence and clear delusions of grandeur, if not total insanity?

That’s the million dollar question. And the answer is elusive. Especially when Baalke addresses the media for his annual pre-draft presser and says things like:

“We can’t predict what the other teams are going to do. All we can do is worry about our board.”

Or when Baalke spoke to reporters following the 2015 regular season and said:

“The draft is a crap shoot. We all know that.”

His first quotable is baseless at best — a primary facet of his job is exactly that. Predicting what other teams are going to do. And his second one is actually pretty fair.

Except he must be horrible with long weapons, because he’s yet to blast a clay pigeon yet. And by saying that, he’s acknowledging what we’ve all learned about Baalke.

He just isn’t very good at his job. He’s right that projecting how college athletes will perform in the NFL is tough. That’s why there are only 32 NFL general managers in the world. Even less when considering how Cleveland’s uniquely structured front office is set up.

His job is to make sure the draft isn’t a crap shoot, and to build the best mock draft on the planet. He just hasn’t figured that out yet, apparently.

Here are Baalke’s draftees who remain on the roster at the time of this writing:

2011 draft: quarterback Colin Kaepernick (2nd round), guard Daniel Kilgore (5th round).

2012 draft: Nobody.

2013 draft: safety Eric Reid (1st round), defensive end Tank Carradine(2nd round), tight end Vance McDonald (2nd round), linebacker Corey Lemonier (3rd round), wide receiver Quinton Patton (4th round), defensive lineman Quinton Dial (5th round).

2014 draft: defensive back Jimmie Ward (1st round), running back Carlos Hyde (2nd round), center Marcus Martin (3rd round), guard Brandon Thomas(3rd round), wide receiver Bruce Ellington (4th round), defensive back Dontae Johnson (4th  round), linebacker Aaron Lynch (5th round), defensive backKeith Reaser (5th round), defensive back Kenneth Acker (6th round), defensive end Kaleb Ramsey (7th round).

The more 8 watch, the more I see Treadwell in that spot. He will help tremendously in the run game, doesn't have to start right away, but has the ability to. Allow him to work up the depth chart with spot play in running and first down situations. Kid has a nasty streak that can match the defense.

Love that McCloughan vs. Baalke article, good read. Not just because it pumps up Scot but because Baalke (and the Yorks) is someone I'd take great pleasure in hating but laughing at if I cared more about the NFCW.

Does that article mean we can blame Baalke for Smith over Rodgers and finally let Scot off the hook lol

Honestly, that's the one part of the article I thought was kind of silly. I mean, yeah, they missed on Rodgers, but so did 22 other teams before the Packers grabbed him. He wasn't exactly someone you could "easily spot" like the article insinuates.

But it was interesting that Baalke was the area scout at the time for both Rodgers and Smith. So, yeah, Scot is off the hook and zoony can now say Scot is his personal hero who can do no wrong, only the good moves by the 49ers and Seahawks can be attributed to Scot. :P:lol:  

John Keim @john_keim 2m2 minutes ago

John Keim Retweeted Dan Graziano

What he said...

John Keim added,

Dan Graziano @DanGrazianoESPN
Good morning. I don't know.

Draft Scout 24/7 @DraftScout247 26m26 minutes ago

You know what day it is!

ChH_nT_WkAEp3u0.jpg

osh Norris @JoshNorris 29m29 minutes ago Norwalk, CT

Josh Norris Retweeted Rotoworld NFL Draft

This might be the most unique mock you read

Josh Norris added,

Rotoworld NFL Draft @Rotoworld_Draft
Final Mock: @JoshNorris posts his final mock draft of the @NFL Draft season and answers where @MylesJack will land. http://cmcst.sn/dj9 

Just think tomorrow we won't be hearing about mocks, I'm about as sick of them as I was of Brackets.

NFLTradeRumors.co @nfltrade_rumors 34m34 minutes ago

Anthony Davis Making It Clear He's Unlikely To Be Back With 49ers http://bit.ly/24l1CVk  #49ers #NFL

Football Perspective @fbgchase 9m9 minutes ago

A wide receiver goes in the top 8 two-thirds of the time. Only 10% of drafts have zero WRs in the top 21. Tonight?? http://www.footballperspective.com/a-majority-of-2016-mock-drafts-have-0-wrs-in-top-21-3-in-top-24/ 

Mike Jones @MikeJonesWaPo 13m13 minutes ago

Mike Jones Retweeted The Insider

Everything you need right here...

Mike Jones added,

The Insider @Insider
Washington Redskins draft-day thread: Discussion, resources and updates http://wapo.st/1N25GFB 
0 retweets 0 likes

T Manuel @TMM75 10h10 hours ago

T Manuel Retweeted John Keim

For those that don't remember, Keim had mocked Ed Jankowski 2 the Redskins that year #EvenTheGreatsAreWrongSometimes

T Manuel added,

John Keim @john_keim
Washington Redskins' best draft pick Sammy Baugh remains a legend http://es.pn/1T5vOvu

@TMM75 no mock that year; burned for projecting millner in 1st in '36. Carrier pigeons brought so much hate. So no '37 mock. But: was right

We don't have to hear about mocks, until Sunday I bet. Ols

When everyone finds out their mock was bad we won't hear from them until next year :)

The MMQB @theMMQB 59s59 seconds ago

Happy Draft Day! We took everything @SI_PeterKing and the MMQB staff knows about the draft & put it in a podcast. http://mmqb.si.com/mmqb/2016/04/27/nfl-draft-carson-wentz-jared-goff-myles-jack-connor-cook-paxton-lynch 

John Keim @john_keim 4m4 minutes ago

Welcome to draft day, where your team will make the greatest pick and the other 31 would have reached for theirs. Enjoy!

HapHaszard ES @HapHaszard 25s26 seconds ago

@john_keim In Scott we trust until the pick ;)

The MMQB ‏@theMMQB 59s59 seconds ago

Happy Draft Day! We took everything @SI_PeterKing and the MMQB staff knows about the draft & put it in a podcast. http://mmqb.si.com/mmqb/2016/04/27/nfl-draft-carson-wentz-jared-goff-myles-jack-connor-cook-paxton-lynch …

Hmm... everything Peter King and the MMQB staff knows can fit into a 1:54 podcast. They must not know a lot. 

Listening for the heck of hit. First 5 minutes was a silly story about Sam Wyche and his amateur magician. No draft stuff at all.

Archived