Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2016 National League East Division Champion: Washington Nationals Thread

Riggo#44

Ultimately Harper will make what the market will bear, there is no reason that "cost per marginal win" has to be linear across all salary ranges, that is, there are a lot more 1-3 WAR players than 9 WAR players, so the market is not going to be the same for both.

Therefore, the Nats need to pay as much as what another team will pay (probably).  There is no reason, even with the MASN ****show (which damn well better be settled in 2 years), that the Nats cannot spend at the level of every other team.  They are in a top market, have a brand new stadium, and are in an extraordinarily affluent part of the country.  If they don't pony up for Harper, they are going to lose a very significant part of their fan base.  

We made some moves this offseason but I don't think we can catch the Mets. A team like that, a team with that much young talent and a monster pitching rotation, that team doesn't go away. That team is there to stay. 

Mets have a strong rotation, arguably better than ours, and younger, sky's the limit. Hitting can be a question but they did re-sign Cespedes so if Cespedes can consistently hit for a season the Mets aren't going anywhere. Conforto's a good young lad and they replaced Murphy with Walker who is okay. 

If healthy Mets will be fine so I really don't think that the Nationals will win the division this year. But the Nationals also did make their moves too and have a good young core for their rotation (although a bit older) 

Will be interesting to see how the race plays out but as I posted in the MLB Thread I t hink the Nats will finish 2nd in t his division, but they might end up getting the wild card. Or not. Pittsburgh and the Cubs and the Cardinals are all very good teams. 

You realize you're the only person in the US that uses the word lad right? Sorry, had to say something..

Anyway, we heard the same thing about the Nats. Strong, young dynamic rotation. Great players all over. Blah blah blah. We know how that can work out. It's sports, it's a long season, who knows. I'm excited to get this going.

Mets will be favored, but they aren't better this year then we were projected to be last year, and we all saw how that worked out.

The difference between us and the Mets last year was the insane amount of close games the Mets beat us in head to head. There were the two close ones in Citi Field in that weekend series, and then the Storen gagjobs at home. They won six in a row vs. us and I believe five could have gone either way.

Lets say for arguments sake we split the series against them(I think that's a fair assumption to make, we got better both in players and coaching/management, they haven't really upgraded at all and lost Murphy). That means the division is a toss up.

There isn't much that tastes better in life than the tears of smug New Yorkers. Skins gave us our share this fall/winter. Time for the Nats to make this summer special. I really can't wait.

(and after this Wizards debacle, it's the only thing keeping me sane until Ted man's up and let's us drag Ernie's body through the street. Figuratively speaking of course.)

Let the Mets slurping continue all off-season. If you watch MLB Network, you'd think the Mets won the World Series--they talk about them all the time. The experts want to hand them the title, fine. MLB.com said they were most-likely to repeat as division champs. Let me translate that for you: the actual World Series champion, who won 95 games last year, will face more competition from the likes of the White Sox and Indians then the Mets will from the Nats. In fact:

• Despite getting no contribution from Werth, Rendon, the bullpen, Ramos, Zimmerman, Fister; regression from Desmond, Fister, Zimmermann; injuries to Span and Strasburg, and a complete nitwit managing the team, we still held the division lead into July.
  •  
  • The Mets have done a great job assembling a great rotation; but they've also been luckier than a leprechaun with a fistful of 4-leaf clovers crammed up his ass. 1st off, they backed into Cespedes after they reneged on the Carlos Gomez deal (which would have cost them more than Cespedes did). Then they were only able to retain Cespedes when Cuddyer abruptly retired. I am looking forward to seeing Mets' fans ire towards Cespedes' .300 OPB, and ****ty CF defense, next year.
  •  
  • Speaking of the Mets rotation, but lets not forget the Nats rotation is just as good, and we have arguably the best pitching prospect in baseball coming. Are you going to tell me that deGrom and Harvey (regression alert!) are THAT much better than Scherzer and Strasburg? I'll give you Matz, albeit he's a major health risk, he's never been healthy for a full year--I'd still take him over Gonzalez. Syndergaard has a 4.25 ERA and a .753 opposing OPS away from Citi Field. Give me Giolito. In the meantime, I'll take Roark over FattyMcFat**** Colon. Oh and they're getting Wheeler back? Fine. Give me Joe Ross--at 23. People forget how good he was last year.
  •  
  • Oh they added Neil Walker and Asdrubal Cabrera? Whoopdedoo. Daniel Muprhy is a better hitter than Walker--and he had a .850 OPS away from Citi last year. And we have another top-10 prospect waiting in the wings in Trea Turner.
  •  
  • Most importantly, we removed the Williams and McCatty and replaced them with a great unifier in Baker and one of the best pitching coaches in baseball in Maddux.
  •  
  • Oh yeah...and our 23-year-old unanimous MVP.

So let people slurp the Mets and swallow the gravy. We all know 1st hand how much weight pre-season predictions carry.

Well tell me why they'yd decline when they rode hot young pitching and Murphy to the NL title 

The Royals came back hungry after devastating defeat in the World Series and won the title. My fear is that the Mets run away with the NL and romp everyone and win it all. I don't want to be saying this because yall know I'm a Nats boy but still it's impossible to ignore the Mets 

They had the talent but they didn't get it together until this year and now that they've gotten it together they're determined to finish the job 

Their rotation (Harvey, DeGrom, Syndergaard, Matz, Wheeler) is arguably better than us, bullpen is a wash, and they could have a better closer too. I'm very worried about the Mets. But there is a good point, many of those games between the Mets and Nats were close last year. We need to win against them to make the division competitive. 

Well tell me why they'yd decline when they rode hot young pitching and Murphy to the NL title 

The Royals came back hungry after devastating defeat in the World Series and won the title. My fear is that the Mets run away with the NL and romp everyone and win it all. I don't want to be saying this because yall know I'm a Nats boy but still it's impossible to ignore the Mets 

They had the talent but they didn't get it together until this year and now that they've gotten it together they're determined to finish the job 

Their rotation (Harvey, DeGrom, Syndergaard, Matz, Wheeler) is arguably better than us, bullpen is a wash, and they could have a better closer too. I'm very worried about the Mets. But there is a good point, many of those games between the Mets and Nats were close last year. We need to win against them to make the division competitive. 

I addressed their rotation above. People want to hand them the title despite the huge jump in innings by Harvey last year, hence my regression alert, Syndergaard is a much different pitcher away from pitching friendly Citi Field, Matz is better than Gonzalez, but is na injury risk, Wheeler wasn't special before he got hurt--he had control issues prior to TJ--so it's safe to say he'll be wild this year, since control is the last thing to come back.

Meanwhile, Ross is better than Wheeler, I'll take Giolito will be better than Syndergaard, and Scherzer and Stras are a wash with deGrom and Harvey.

And now Rick Snider with an "Harper to Yankees" article. These next two years are going to be agonizing.

Personally, I like how there is now a "report" when it's clearly a couple of bored writers expressing their opinion as fact. He doesn't officially become a FA until 2019, after the 2018, so we have three more full seasons. Lots can happen in that time.

Good to see Zuckerman back behind the keyboard.  Losing Nats Insider was tough.

but they've also been luckier than a leprechaun with a fistful of 4-leaf clovers crammed up his ass.

They had a horseshoe permanently up their ass the second half of the season.

With so much junk stuffed up there it's a wonder they can even run the bases.

Archived